Logistics Help

bearsnut84

Ok so here is the situation that I have ran into in the last week. We are from KY and my wife wanted us to drive to Miami (16+ hours) so I just agreed unless I could find a flight that would save us money well I did and she agreed to fly. Our cruise is leaving on Sunday 10-16 and gets back on Saturday 10-22 however we are flying down a day early and leaving day after. We are flying from Nashville to Fort Lauderdale, and this is where I need help since its a day before and day after what would you guys do as far as hotel and travel to and from the port. Thanks for any new ideas I am struggling with this right now and don't want wife to find out I just want to take care of it :eek:

We flew to FLL the night before our cruise out of Miami. We booked a cheap hotel with free airport transfers for that night. Then we booked SAS for our transfer to cruise terminal. Very easy and nice. The same could probably be done after, but if it was me I would want to stay near the beach or an area with more to do. Would need taxi or über then to get to the airport.

Was it a lot more expensive to fly into MIA vs FLL? A lot of people assume FLL is cheaper. In the past I have found that to be true but not in recent history. At least for me and other family members in the Midwest. Once you tack on transportation costs to/from FLL/POM they oftentimes come out about equal or just slightly more to fly into MIA.

We have used SAS in the past but you have to see which hotels the my service now. Their list has dwindled down quite a bit from when we used them several years ago.

Edited by firemanbobswife

I did the same thing as you on my first cruise. I booked a cheapish hotel, it turned out to be really nice and it had a 15$ shuttle that took us to cruise port. This was before uber though. Now I would most likely just use uber to get to cruise port, would prolly cost 20$ or so. After the cruise you could do the same thing or there are taxis at the port that will take you wherever as well.

FLL was cheapest for me because southwest flys into there, so no bag fees and they have lower prices, oftentimes the under 100$ specials which makes it way cheaper than flying into Miami.

Edited by BlazinSunsets

I live in Nashville and always take SW to FLL. Flights to Miami are always so much more expensive. This coming December I'm flying round trip on SW for $218. Can't beat that.

Roz

We also booked southwest and it was a TON cheaper. Our flight only cost us $242 for both of us round trip! Keep ideas coming but I think these are all good so far very workable I see, thanks so far!

That is a really good deal!

SW changed their routes from where I fly out of and I don't like where they connect so I don't take them anymore. Their fares are always higher than the other airlines that go right to MIA for me anyway so I have ruled them out which is a shame because I really like SW. We used to fly them a lot. Oh well. I don't blame you for going where the deals are!

Personally, I would head down to a hotel near the port in Miami. I usually stay in South Beach, then just taxi or Uber to the port. Get a little head start on the vacation.

I have taken SAS from FLL to Miami and was happy with them.

Personally, I would head down to a hotel near the port in Miami. I usually stay in South Beach, then just taxi or Uber to the port. Get a little head start on the vacation.

I have taken SAS from FLL to Miami and was happy with them.

Also another very good idea. I love the Intercontinental. It's awesome to be able to wake up and see your ship in the morning. Some friends stayed at Epic and said it was very nice too.

That is a really good deal!

SW changed their routes from where I fly out of and I don't like where they connect so I don't take them anymore. Their fares are always higher than the other airlines that go right to MIA for me anyway so I have ruled them out which is a shame because I really like SW. We used to fly them a lot. Oh well. I don't blame you for going where the deals are!

Im with you. The times for direct flights to and from fll from philly are 5:30am and last flight back at 7:10, dont get home til about 10pm and with work the next day that doesnt work. Not to mention the flights arent cheap $306 pp.

I took AA last time with better times and cheaper fares even with paying the baggage fee.

Bill

Im with you. The times for direct flights to and from fll from philly are 5:30am and last flight back at 7:10, dont get home til about 10pm and with work the next day that doesnt work. Not to mention the flights arent cheap $306 pp.

I took AA last time with better times and cheaper fares even with paying the baggage fee.

Bill

Me too. I have several airline credit cards so am lucky that I don't have to pay baggage fees. Even with the annual fee on those after the first year, as much as I travel they more than pay for themselves.

Before AirTran merged with SW, they were my all time favorite airline. Where else could you upgrade to Business Class for $49-$99 each way?! Loved it. I didn't mind going into FLL with them, but SW has just gotten ridiculous with their fares from here as well as the goofy times and weird connections. I never thought I would see the day when I prefer the Legacy carriers over the "budget" ones. But I'm glad for those that are able to get the great deals like we used to!

Me too. I have several airline credit cards so am lucky that I don't have to pay baggage fees. Even with the annual fee on those after the first year, as much as I travel they more than pay for themselves.

Before AirTran merged with SW, they were my all time favorite airline. Where else could you upgrade to Business Class for $49-$99 each way?! Loved it. I didn't mind going into FLL with them, but SW has just gotten ridiculous with their fares from here as well as the goofy times and weird connections. I never thought I would see the day when I prefer the Legacy carriers over the "budget" ones. But I'm glad for those that are able to get the great deals like we used to!

Again I agree. When they merged with Airtran we got less flights, less direct flights, and way higher prices.

I sometimes would drive to BWI and fly from there since the flights were a lot cheaper and a lot more to choose from. Now the prices are about the same as Philly.

Bill

Save yourself a second hotel stay and go home the day your ship docks! There is NO reason to stay a day "post cruise"! NONE! You'll be OFF the ship by 9am...book a flight around noon, and get home!

I find it awwsome that you always know what's best for people you don't even.

When to go home after their cruise, always sit at a big table to meet others, and so on and so on.

Newsflash: not everybody is the same as you. Maybe the OP has family nearby in Florida and wants to visit with them.

Bill

On two seperate occasions we have flown into fll the day before a cruise out of port of miami. Both times we rented a car from Alamo with one way rental. When booked 2-3 weeks before the trip you can get a good rate, or check now. We paid about $25 for the car including tax, drove to miami, stayed there, dropped the car off at miami airport in the morning and took the free Alamo shuttle to the port.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by Doggielover68

Hi Bearsnut

We have done this quite often.

Find a hotel near the airport in FLL that has free shuttle and use a shuttle service the next morning to get to the POM. The shuttles run about $15 per person each way. You can do the same on your return.

As someone has already mentioned a one way car rental can give you more flexibility, especially on your return leg. (with a free shuttle to/from POM)

Check out the Florida homeports threads. They will give you the names of the shuttle companies, car rental, and hotels that would give you the service you are looking for.

have a great cruise

Save yourself a second hotel stay and go home the day your ship docks! There is NO reason to stay a day "post cruise"! NONE! You'll be OFF the ship by 9am...book a flight around noon, and get home!

... maybe not for YOU

We had the opposite scenario. Flew into MIA and got a hotel near with a free shuttle. Then got a stretch limo the next morning to Port Everglades. The limo was about the same price as a taxi and a whole lot more fun and nicer. Felt pretty cool rolling up to the cruise ship in a stretch. Until we checked into our inside cabin.

There are plenty of reasons to stay a day post cruise. For us, it's bad enough having to get off the ship. By staying an extra day or two, it extends the vacation. The biggest advantage is that if you stay a day after the ship comes in, there isn't 3000 people at the airport all trying to check in at the same time. Aside from that, it's nobody's business if they want to stay a day or a month later. They weren't looking for any opinions of when to fly home.

We did this a few weeks ago, and it was very easy. We booked a room at Hyatt Place through valuetrips for about $99. The hotel was nice, close to a lot of restaurants and offered a free breakfast buffet. I booked SAS to take us to the port the next day, it was only $15 per person. They were great, but post cruise, we used Uber and now I would recommend that instead. The price will be close to what you would pay for the two of you and you get your own car at your own set time.

We stayed in Miami a couple of days after our cruise at the InterContinental. It was OK, but only if you get a very good price. The location is great, the lobby and all public areas are beautiful, but the rooms (ours at least) were pretty run down. The last day we used Uber again to get back to the airport, cheaper than the service I had previously arranged for.

Check the Florida departures board and you will get a lot more information.