Door signs

Jarvijt

I would probably never put up a door sign but will be sure to do it on my next cruise just because it will apparently make some people angry. If having to walk by someone's door sign bothers you that much you've got some serious issues.

Like that

We usually put a brightly colored flower, butterfly or a decoration of some sort on our door making it stand out from others. On our last Celebrity cruise someone else felt the need to remove the flower and butterfly on the second night of our sailing. We have done this for many sailings and never had a problem until then. We left the ship the next day for a medical evacuation so do not know of if the room stewards ever located the missing decorations.

putting stuff up, and others off , is stolen.

kids taking it, that be the Adult not disciplining the kid. today it's worse the adults do it to, and expect their parant to discipline them Lol.

Why the sign you put should not be of Value. but it is sentimental value.

I would probably never put up a door sign but will be sure to do it on my next cruise just because it will apparently make some people angry. If having to walk by someone's door sign bothers you that much you've got some serious issues.

Does it bother people? I guess I need to read the whole thread. Doesn't bother me :) It's just that I never participated in the custom because I have enough to pack!!

Knock yourselves out, if signs float your boat ;)

I never said it makes me angry.

I said I personally find it tacky and on the juvenile side, but I just roll my eyes and go on with life. (And having done 3 Disney cruises, I get used to rolling my eyes, BUT it is not "almost everyone" who does it. More than I have seen on RCCL or HAL (not sure I saw ANY on HAL - but sadly their smoking policy and the general lower level of service I experienced keep me off of them) but my door is far from the only one NOT decorated.)

And I have plenty of fun even with my blank door. :D

I said I personally find it tacky and on the juvenile side, but I just roll my eyes and go on with life. (And having done 3 Disney cruises, I get used to rolling my eyes, BUT it is not "almost everyone" who does it. More than I have seen on RCCL or HAL (not sure I saw ANY on HAL - but sadly their smoking policy and the general lower level of service I experienced keep me off of them) but my door is far from the only one NOT decorated.)

Haha, much agreed!!

Yes, it is entirely possible to look at something and think it's tacky without it ruining your day. All of you door sign defenders have seen a man in a Speedo who shouldn't be wearing a Speedo without having an opinion about what you're seeing? The original question was what door signs are and whether they should do it. At that point, people are going to express their opinions.

The ones that are more than a simple sign scream "aren't we so fun and adventurous and special with our cutesy-poo door decorations that draw attention to how incredibly fun we are?!?" Margaritaville customers, basically. Now, that may not be everyone's intent, but it's certainly what is conveyed. If it was something a majority of people thought was appealing, you'd see more than a handful in each hallway. If you enjoy being the center of attention in every facet of your life and are afraid that having a door that looks like your neighbors' might force a reckoning with the meaningless of life, then door signs are for you. You shouldn't be surprised that people find it a bit gauche.

if you see a door sign, and that is your first thoughts. then you missed some points made.

some travel agents go beyond thecall, and try their best to please and show how hard they work to make your cruise better.

that is one point some of the people here MISSED.

why a door sign...

Totally agree - it's super tacky. Why people think others want to see their crap baffles me.

Nobody puts up door signs in hotels; why would you do it on a ship?

Some people complain on here X is going down market; perhaps door signs are an indication those people are right and as a consequence the clientele is going downmarket and becoming carnivalesque.

The Cruise Critic door signs are the worst as they send an implicit message "I'm on Cruise Critic so I'm special and if you don't take great care of me, I'll write about it online". Nasty.

Door signs sure won't help Celebrity's always tenuous "premium wannabe" status.

It doesn't make me angry either. It does make me want to tidy it all up.

if you see a door sign, and that is your first thoughts. then you missed some points made.

some travel agents go beyond thecall, and try their best to please and show how hard they work to make your cruise better.

that is one point some of the people here MISSED.

why a door sign...

If I used a travel agent and their idea of "trying their best to please me" was to slap a sign on my door, that would be the last time I'd use that travel agent. There are far better ways to "please me" than a cheap magnetic door cling.

If I used a travel agent and their idea of "trying their best to please me" was to slap a sign on my door, that would be the last time I'd use that travel agent. There are far better ways to "please me" than a cheap magnetic door cling.

guess that is why you travel alone. :D

and never knowing what a Travel agent does for you :p

and why people are curious and ask ;)

and like said throughout the thread :rolleyes:

. life time memories.:)

I am American and find it super tacky.

To me it feels like people never moved beyond their college days and refuse to admit they have grown up. (Of course, they may still be in college...in which case from my interpretation there are other cruise lines which might fit them better...)

If people are so worried about finding their cabin, take a picture of the door with the number on it and maybe the stairwell landing closest to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Totally agree

guess that is why you travel alone. :D

and never knowing what a Travel agent does for you :p

and why people are curious and ask ;)

and like said throughout the thread :rolleyes:

. life time memories.:)

I have traveled with groups, with my family, and with friends in addition to traveling alone. And there is nothing wrong with traveling alone.

I am curious as to why liking to handle my own arrangements rather than use a Travel Agent indicates that I travel alone though. When I travel with family and friends we do our own thing also. No travel agent needed when we are perfectly capable of making our own reservations. I have looked into it, and they do nothing I cannot do myself - except make harder for me to do anything as I would have to go through them to get anything noted or changed on my reservation.

Clearly you are or are very close to a travel agent to think they are the only way to book anything.

Never saw any doors decorated on Cunard or P&O but I'll be on a celebrity ship at thanksgiving so I'm looking forward to people walking around with turkeys on their heads.

We saw several doors decorated when we were on Cunard.

I like door signs. I have even seen people decorate their cabins. Signs are very festive and make it easier to find your cabin without checking the cabin numbers. Usually we go on a cruise around my birthday to celebrate. My parents died in their 40s from heart disease, which I seem to have inherited. I celebrate every birthday because it could be my last. Putting up a birthday sign makes me happy.

Like a lot of things in life, if it doesn't personally effect others and you want to do it, go for it. If you don't like signs, just don't put one up. Either way, it doesn't effect anyone else.

I have traveled with groups, with my family, and with friends in addition to traveling alone. And there is nothing wrong with traveling alone.

I am curious as to why liking to handle my own arrangements rather than use a Travel Agent indicates that I travel alone though. When I travel with family and friends we do our own thing also. No travel agent needed when we are perfectly capable of making our own reservations. I have looked into it, and they do nothing I cannot do myself - except make harder for me to do anything as I would have to go through them to get anything noted or changed on my reservation.

Clearly you are or are very close to a travel agent to think they are the only way to book anything.

I like a travel agent because one of the benefits they give you is a big OBC in addition to what celebrity does

Alone, a group, whatever you do, is great. We again travel with ta t group there is a difference. Since I am here talking about signs, I shall be keeping to the topic.

Posting a sign is an option. It is like a family shirt, a graduation written on a car. etc. something to talk about.

If it does not please you, move on.

Totally agree - it's super tacky. Why people think others want to see their crap baffles me.

Nobody puts up door signs in hotels; why would you do it on a ship?

Some people complain on here X is going down market; perhaps door signs are an indication those people are right and as a consequence the clientele is going downmarket and becoming carnivalesque.

The Cruise Critic door signs are the worst as they send an implicit message "I'm on Cruise Critic so I'm special and if you don't take great care of me, I'll write about it online". Nasty.

Geez! That was nasty. Nasty on your part.

First, people don't put up door signs in hotels because hotels are not a closed environment. Ships are. There is no (at least not that I know of) Hotel Critic website or forum. There are no Roll Calls for hotels. There are for cruises.

People complain that X is "going" down market? I have seen door signs since my first X cruise on Infinity in 2004 so not sure it's "going" down market. The thump thump music in every bar is a more a sign of that.

And why would you think a Cruise Critic door sign would mean "I'm on Cruise Critic so I'm special and if you don't take great care of me, I'll write about it online". I have put a door sign on my door once or twice when I was sailing with a huge or particularly active roll call. I did not use the Cruise Critic door tag but created one that mentioned I was sailing with an awesome group that I had met on a Cruise Critic roll call with the hopes that others who have never heard of Cruise Critic would join and try it in hopes of helping them make their cruise vacations as special as belonging to Cruise Critic has done mine.

Do you seriously think that anyone who is a CC poster considers themselves an actual "Critic" and would ever even think that people should treat them differently because they are. I am guessing that's the way you think? Sad.

Geez! That was nasty. Nasty on your part.

No more nasty than your reply.

Do you seriously think that anyone who is a CC poster considers themselves an actual "Critic" and would ever even think that people should treat them differently because they are. I am guessing that's the way you think? Sad.

Yes, I seriously think that there are some posters on CC that consider themselves an actual "Critic" and would ever even think that people should treat them differently because they are.

I guess it is time to feel sad. :(

Fire away for expressing my opinion like you have expressed yours.

We saw several doors decorated when we were on Cunard.

I like door signs. I have even seen people decorate their cabins. Signs are very festive and make it easier to find your cabin without checking the cabin numbers. Usually we go on a cruise around my birthday to celebrate. My parents died in their 40s from heart disease' date=' which I seem to have inherited. I celebrate every birthday because it could be my last. Putting up a birthday sign makes me happy.

Like a lot of things in life, if it doesn't personally effect others and you want to do it, go for it. If you don't like signs, just don't put one up. Either way, it doesn't effect anyone else.[/quote']

I didn't say I didn't like them just haven't seen them [emoji849]