For those travelling to Bayonne NJ for the Anthem

DJLDRUMS

We'll be driving to the Port Terminal from the Boston, MA. area and would like to hear from people that's also driven. We've checked Google Maps, Map Quest and have a GPS. With all of that available to use hearing from fellow cruisers from the Boston, MA. area who have driven to and from would certainly be appreciated.

We're sailing on July 14th. Thanks in advance to those who reply.

Don

Guest maddycat
We'll be driving to the Port Terminal from the Boston, MA. area and would like to hear from people that's also driven. We've checked Google Maps, Map Quest and have a GPS. With all of that available to use hearing from fellow cruisers from the Boston, MA. area who have driven to and from would certainly be appreciated.

We're sailing on July 14th. Thanks in advance to those who reply.

Don

There is a lot of information concerning the port, including driving directions on the cc East Coast Departures board. One of the regular posters drives to Bayonne from Boston. The thread entitled Cape Liberty 411 is very helpful. The link is below.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2163707

We are also sailing on Anthem in September and would be interested in hearing how long it takes you to get to the port when you get back. We live about 12 miles north of Boston. We are going down the day before since we are sailing Labor Day weekend. I was afraid we would be stuck on the Pike for hours, so not risking it.

If you could post when you get back, I would appreciate it.:)

Twelve miles north of Boston you say? We'll we're ten miles north of Boston (01960)

Last January we were on the Anthem and went ..MA. Pike to 84S at Sturbridge through Hartford then..... the rest I didn't pay attention to as I was only a passenger not the driver this time. Next month I'll be a driver as we'll have 20 in our group from the NorthShore and Concord NH.

Travelling in January was an experience as we stayed in a motel the night before the departure. We had 1 rough sea night leaving Bayonne and on the return the Capatin altered the course due to a large Atlantic storm that brought us in closer to shore, up the coast to stay out of the way. End result was that we got an extra sea day arriving a day later. getting a ride back to the Motel where we left the car to save on the $200.00 parking garage fee we dug out the car in 4 foot snow drifts. I don't thin we'll do that gain !

I'll post what we decide to use for the route as there's no easy way from here to there. Although it only took us 4 1/2 hours ! This time even leaving at 4:30-5:00 am we'll be in the Thursday morning commuter traffic at a alot of locations. We're leaning more to the Tappan Zee bridge. LAst time we went over the GW (George Washington bridge with little problems.

we live south of Boston and have driven 3 times to Bayonne, arriving the day before the cruise.

We have gone straight down 95 over the GW bridge and from there it is about 1/2 hour to exit 14 for the cruise terminal. From the exit it takes about 25-30 minutes to reach the entrance to the terminal, depending on traffic, and from there it has taken us one hour to reach the terminal one time, and about 15 minutes the other times, and that includes parking in the garage.

A number of hotels have stay and park packages, and they might be about the same price as the pier parking, which is $19 per day. We have stayed at Fairfield Inn and Suites and I know they have a park and stay package, along with a number of other hotels. Make sure there is a shuttle to the pier if you stay at a hotel with this package, as the cab fare could be quite expensive.

Rita

We are out by the 128/93 cloverleaf.:)

I think we are going over the GW. We are leaving here as soon as my Mom gets down from NH, she will wait for the morning rush to finish. Hopefully, we are on the road by 9:30. Just hoping to get through Sturbridge before the Labor Day traffic really hits. Hoping to make it to the Embassy Suites by 2pm. Had it just been my DH and I, we might have driven Saturday morning, really early, but not with my 79 yr old mother. Have driven to EWR before, so should be no big deal.

Rita, Thanks for your information, all appreciated. Actually we also stayed at the Fairfield Inn in January. Good place and had transportation. I'll have to check with the person who drove six months ago as your directions seem very similar to the way we came.

Don

Guest maddycat
we live south of Boston and have driven 3 times to Bayonne, arriving the day before the cruise.

We have gone straight down 95 over the GW bridge and from there it is about 1/2 hour to exit 14 for the cruise terminal. From the exit it takes about 25-30 minutes to reach the entrance to the terminal, depending on traffic, and from there it has taken us one hour to reach the terminal one time, and about 15 minutes the other times, and that includes parking in the garage.

A number of hotels have stay and park packages, and they might be about the same price as the pier parking, which is $19 per day. We have stayed at Fairfield Inn and Suites and I know they have a park and stay package, along with a number of other hotels. Make sure there is a shuttle to the pier if you stay at a hotel with this package, as the cab fare could be quite expensive.

Rita

Parking at the pier is now $20 a day.

Rita

Thanks for the information. From what I have been reading the last couple of days, I think it will be best for us to leave our hotel earlier than I had originally planned. We are just going to park at the port, so no shuttle. Will make it easier after the cruise.

We are at the 128/93 cloverleaf as well! 01801

Thank you to all for the info - headed on the Anthem July 23, to avoid traffic on the pike we are thinking of leaving very early Saturday morning. Traffic on a Friday night is a nightmare.

Hope everyone enjoys their cruise!

We have gps in car and on smart phones, but are old school so we get a triple AAA travel trip kit. We are from western mass. Always go on 84 to 684 over the Tappen Zee Bridge, you avoid nyc that way. Done it that way at least 3 times to Bayonne, and to nyc cruise port for NCL twice. Although nyc is on sawmill parkway. If you can get a trip kit they help with construction, best route, etc. and it keeps your gps honest. We leave at 5:00 am get to Bayonne by 8:30 if all goes well, use parking garage there, and beat traffic, leaving off early beat traffic congestion. Just a few tips, as it is a little dicey right by cruise port.

Mass Pike, I84, I91, I95, to NJ Turnpike. Is the most direct.

Better may be Mass Pike, I84, I91, Merrit Parkway, I287, I87 (Major Deegan south), I95, NJ Turnpike.

Absolute best way, load the WAZE app on your phone and follow its directions.

To date at 9:40pm Monday evening I'm reading a lot of good information from my "neighbors" passing along their best route information to get to Bayonne. There's a lot of consider here.

As we suspect that leaving 01960 at 4:30-5:00 am we'll get a good portion of the congestion in Mass and CT behind us.

We recalled a lot of detours just outside the City as streets were being dug up and signs were not clearly marked. This certainly would have an impact on using a GPS unless it has advanced features to get around the construction . And yes, WAZE is also very helpful.

As mentioned we travelled to Bayonne in January and made it there in 4 1/2 hours, Stayed at the Fairfield Inn (just in case weather didn't co-operate then got the shuttle to the Terminal about 10:30am. We couldn't board the ship until after 11:30AM then could get to our rooms just after 1-1:15. With that turnaround of people it wasn't too bad considering.

Thank you all for your best information people. So far this has been a very positive response thread.

Don

Search Academy Bus Company, out of Boston and Providence area. We have taken them twice and would do it again. From T F Green airport the cost Ryan was $110 or $55 one way; did it ow on a TA. Great service. No hassles. Fast and efficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have gps in car and on smart phones, but are old school so we get a triple AAA travel trip kit. We are from western mass. Always go on 84 to 684 over the Tappen Zee Bridge, you avoid nyc that way. Done it that way at least 3 times to Bayonne, and to nyc cruise port for NCL twice. Although nyc is on sawmill parkway. If you can get a trip kit they help with construction, best route, etc. and it keeps your gps honest. We leave at 5:00 am get to Bayonne by 8:30 if all goes well, use parking garage there, and beat traffic, leaving off early beat traffic congestion. Just a few tips, as it is a little dicey right by cruise port.

Yes! Pay attention to any news about Tappan Zee work, but yes, this works better. I live in Bayonne and I am up in Elmsford at least once a week. This is the way I go.

If you use Waze as a GPS on your phone, it's pretty good about updating with construction since it relies on a lot of user input.

If you need to know about things coming into Bayonne, feel free to ask me/ping me/send me a message. I know how frustrating the traffic can be.

Try to avoid all roads on a Friday night in this area. The traffic coming down 84 in NY to the Garden State or to the NJTPK is unreal on Fridays. I travel some pretty miserable routes around here and on a Friday afternoon it takes me longer to get from Bloomfield (148 on the Garden State) to Bayonne than it does for me to get from Bloomfield up to Elmsford, NY. 15 miles is worse than 50. I kid you not.

Search Academy Bus Company, out of Boston and Providence area. We have taken them twice and would do it again. From T F Green airport the cost Ryan was $110 or $55 one way; did it ow on a TA. Great service. No hassles. Fast and efficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last I knew that bus leaves from the Andersen Transportation Center in Woburn. We are more comfortable driving ourselves. Others might be interested though.

Thanks Rita, well there's another option from someone from "Winchester? Wilmington ?Wakefield ?

Now we'dd have to check the times that the bus leaves and how much to park at Anderson...OR if we're lucky can get dropped off there.

I'm sure some busses will make many stops arriving at Bayonne in the afternoon....

BUT will check into it..again thanks for your information on the subject..all is appreciated.

Hi, when i booked an Anthem cruise in May for December, I asked about the bus from Woburn and Royal told me it was discontinued. It was very reasonable $ 110 rt and very convenient as it was 2 exits from home

Best priced park/sleep with shuttle - Trinityreservations.com. Please note they quote tax included.

From Mass you want to get on the Merritt Parkway. Coming out the Mass Pike, I84, and I91 south you take exit 17 in Meriden for the W Cross Parkway. This becomes the Merritt in Milford CT.

If you come down I95 there is a cutover to the Merritt at Milford CT exit 38. At Rye NY there is another cutover to the Hutchinson River Parkway South exit 21 immediately after exit 2 in CT (no exit 1). You This cutover is a bit longer than the one at Milford and involves getting off onto I287 West and following the signs to the Merritt/Hutch. You get off onto a service road, go through a few lights and take the turn for the Hutch south.

The Merritt Pkwy becomes the Hutchinson River Pkwy at the NY/CT line. From the Hutch take exit 15 in New Rochelle to get on the Cross County Pkwy. Stay in the middle left lane, which will become the left lane when the road "scrunches". This leads onto the Saw Mill River Pkwy South which becomes the Henry Hudson Pkwy at the NYC line ($5.50 toll - if no EZPass they will bill you in the mail and you need to pay it!). The toll is worth every penny.

You take the George Washington Bridge exit and slide over to the middle left lane. Follow the NJ Turnpike signs. When you get on the turnpike, follow the first set of Lincoln Tunnel signs to get on the eastern spur of the turnpike, but don't get off at the actual tunnel exit. Continue on to exit 14-14A-14B-14C and follow the signs to exit 14A.

The are no trucks on this route and you will avoid any traffic issues on the Cross Bronx Expressway or the intersection with I87.