Accessable cabins on Grandeur

I just called my TA about booking an accessible cabin on the Grandeur for a cruise to the Bahamas. RC told her there are no cabins below a balcony that will accommodate less than 3 or 4 people. I checked their website & the description of the staterooms state "Two twin beds that convert to a Royal King". It does not state anywhere that there is room for a third person. What is going on?! Do they not allow a couple in an accessible cabin. My DH uses a scooter. Did they change their cabins & NOT correct their website??? I'm a little confused & upset. This means I can no longer sail out of Baltimore.

I just called my TA about booking an accessible cabin on the Grandeur for a cruise to the Bahamas. RC told her there are no cabins below a balcony that will accommodate less than 3 or 4 people. I checked their website & the description of the staterooms state "Two twin beds that convert to a Royal King". It does not state anywhere that there is room for a third person. What is going on?! Do they not allow a couple in an accessible cabin. My DH uses a scooter. Did they change their cabins & NOT correct their website??? I'm a little confused & upset. This means I can no longer sail out of Baltimore.

What cabin are you contemplating?

I wanted an Ocean View. I would settle for an Interior. The balcony was just too expensive. They have 9 night cruises. I tried one time using a regular OV with a scooter but it was just too tight.

While it is true that all the cabins below a balcony can accommodate more than 2 guests (symbol in the cabin on the deck plan tells you the sleeping configuration) I did not think that they were holding people booking those cabins to the occupancy requirements. I would call back and ask to speak to resolutions.

My TA is looking a cruise on Carnival now because we couldn't get a cabin on RC. I'm waiting for her to call me back. When she calls, I'll ask her about talking with Resolutions. This cruise would have pushed me up to Emerald standing with C & A with my other bookings.

I'll give my TA a chance first. Then I'll make some calls.

Thanks everyone.

PS Just to clarify - I'm not ranting (as I've seen before), I'm just really disappointed & confused & asking for assistance.

Edited by PTAngel

You mean you wanted an Accessible cabin for two and the TA said no??

Such cabins *CAN* accommodate a 3rd or 4th guest, not *HAVE TO*

I just uploaded a short video of ours, #2107

You mean you wanted an Accessible cabin for two and the TA said no??

Such cabins *CAN* accommodate a 3rd or 4th guest, not *HAVE TO*

I just uploaded a short video of ours, #2107

No, RC told the TA no. Nothing below balcony. In other words, we were being forced to book balcony when balcony capacity is 4 & there are 2 OV cabins that have a capacity of 3 (2602 & 3602).

Edited by PTAngel

No, RC told the TA no. Nothing below balcony. In other words, we were being forced to book balcony when balcony capacity is 4 & there are 2 OV cabins that have a capacity of 3 (2602 & 3602).

Is there any chance that your TA is not being straight with you? Perhaps s/he wants the higher commission of a balcony cabin?

What sailing? Have you tried to book either of those 2 OV cabins online for 2, and then transfer to the TA?

I just tried some mock bookings for 3 random dates for 2 people selecting the box for needing accessible cabin. 2 dates returned no OV cabins met that criteria. * However April 8-17, 2017 did allow 2 to book accessible cabin 3606. So yes, you can still sail from Baltimore as a couple. Your TA should be able to find you other sailings.

Try the online booking to see if you can reserve 2602 or 3602 that you are referencing above. Good luck !

We have 3606 booked for Sept 1- It is an accessible OV . My dw will be in a wheelchair & needs a larger shower w seat.

Hoping for no troubles. Sept1 to NE & canada.

Good news! My TA went to bat for me & we got our accessible cabin (#3602) for our November 9, 2017 sailing. She talked with RI & they gave us a waiver so we could get the cabin.

I don't know why it was so difficult to accomplish as I know there are lots of couples (2) who need those facilities for 3 or 4. Anyone should not have to jump through hoops to get something so simple & needed.

Do a dummy reservation and put in 3 people and it will give you a list of the accessible cabins that are available. They cannot withhold this cabin from someone who needs this type of cabin. If you are a member of C&A, have your TA contact them and they will have to override the reservation. Hope this helps.

Good news! My TA went to bat for me & we got our accessible cabin (#3602) for our November 9, 2017 sailing. She talked with RI & they gave us a waiver so we could get the cabin.

I don't know why it was so difficult to accomplish as I know there are lots of couples (2) who need those facilities for 3 or 4. Anyone should not have to jump through hoops to get something so simple & needed.

I'm glad you were able to get that cabin. I went through the same thing and it is aggravating. Someone with mobility issues should not have to go through this much aggravation.

Theresa

Is there any chance that your TA is not being straight with you? Perhaps s/he wants the higher commission of a balcony cabin?

Nope that's not the case because I went through the same thing

Theresa

I did not think that they were holding people booking those cabins to the occupancy requirements. I would call back and ask to speak to resolutions.

Unfortunately that's what Royal's system does

Nope that's not the case because I went through the same thing

Theresa

Thanks, psupa. I'm so relieved to hear that I am not the only one this happened to.

Edited by PTAngel

To OP and the other individual who posted that RCCL would not allow them to book an accessible cabin that can hold 3 or4 people if only 2 were cruising. Think there most definitely was something lost in translation when the TA was speaking with RCCL. I travel solo regularly on RCCL and have always been able to book an accessible cabin for 1 even if that cabin can hold 3 or 4 passengers and especially if it the last accessible cabin available in a specific category for any cruise embarking from a USA Port.

If the cruise is embarking from a USA Port than under the a USA Department of Transportation Law that went into effect on January 1, 2012 the cruise lines have to allow it. Now if that the cruise is embarking from a NON- USA Port than that a whole other thing .

Edited by xxoocruiser

Royal has begun( with no discernible rhyme or reasons to how) blocking cabins that hold more than 2 from inquiries for 2 on some ships, itineraries or date( and any combination thereof).

in other words, if you are a couple they will not let you book a cabin that's marked as holding 3 or 4, at least not always. they may open it up later on to 2 , just like they open the family staterooms with a minimum occupancy of 5 to smaller parties after a certain time frame.

some say families started complaining that couples and singles were booking the larger capacity cabins, forcing them to purchase more than one cabin or seek out the elusive larger occupancy ones.

Something to be aware of on Grandeur. All toilets are 15" high and the beds are quite low. If you need a raised seat and/or a raised bed, just ask your cabin steward or notify the Special Needs Department, if you have time. As much as we like the smaller ships, including Grandeur, we found it to be the least handicapped friendly. BUT it was made useable with a few requests.

Enjoy your cruise and this fine ship.

AS stated above- we have 3606 accessible cabin booked for Sept 1. I did the reservations thru RCCL- not a travel agent. I never had to jump thru any hoops described above. DW needs will be in wheelchair & we needed the special cabin. 67 days- YEA

Edited by djay
add

The special needs dept gave us the toilet booster without being asked but mom doesn't need it as she's very short. I asked the attendant to take it away but he says it should stay in the room. You will see it in the video I posted at #8 above, sitting under the sink.