Any Embarking/Boarding Day Tips on the Norwegian Escape?

Wxman0

When I researched for Disney they had a neat thread like this and I got all sorts of good tips for the first day such as "if you rent a car, drop the family off first and leave your spouse with your passport and she can check you in while you drop the rental off with the company" or "have the kids wear swimsuits under their normal clothes as the Aquaduck is not as busy when you first get on the ship" and "get your Anna and Elsa tickets as soon as you get on the ship"

So I ask...what are your first day embarking tips for the Escape?

Personally I am looking mainly from a family perspective but this board is for everyone so it can be anything. :)

Edited by Wxman0

When I researched for Disney they had a neat thread like this and I got all sorts of good tips for the first day such as "if you rent a car, drop the family off first and leave your spouse with your passport and she can check you in while you drop the rental off with the company" or "have the kids wear swimsuits under their normal clothes as the Aquaduck is not as busy when you first get on the ship" and "get your Anna and Elsa tickets as soon as you get on the ship"

So I ask...what are your first day embarking tips for the Escape?

Personally I am looking mainly from a family perspective but this board is for everyone so it can be anything. :)

Well, I'll start with the obvious one that you've already hinted at: Your suitcases won't be available when you first board. So have a carry on tote with your swimsuits in it. As you mentioned, for the kids, you can just have them wear their swimsuits under their clothes.

The second suggestion: Don't bother with the buffet for lunch - it will be crowded. One of the MDR's (Main Dining Rooms) will be open for lunch and it's a much nicer experience. But if you've got smaller kids who just want to get on with exploring and swimming, the buffet may be better.

Show up at the terminal at 10:45-11:00 am. Boarding will start at 11:30,,, take advantage of the quite time when boarding begins. Since the ship does not leave until 7, people board at a more leisurely pace. (Remember to check your eDocs because the Escape boards from both Terminal B and C,,, and your room keys are at only one of the terminals).

Go to the buffet and let the kids pick their favorite foods (more kid friendly than going to the Taste and Savor MDRs and waiting for a served meal). Enjoy the ice cream bar or soft machine

Make your first round (of many) trips down the water slides.

Then move on to the ropes course and walk the two planks.

Room will be ready around 1:30. Bags will show up between 4:00-5:00 pm

Muster is at 4:30. Show up around 4:00-4:15 if you want a seat for you and the kids.

The following is a link to our dailies from May 14 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2358689

Edited by BirdTravels

if you missed booking any dinner reservations or shows online, do it when you first get onboard on the big touch screens by the elevators. There will be spots available when you first board but they book up quick. Check the time for the kids club sign up if you plan for your kids to go there at all. Do the tube slide. Lots of fun for kids and adults. You can ride in a double person tube or a single. Great fun. Have a great cruise!!

What exactly are your per-embarkation logistics? Flight/Hotel/House?

Well nothing yet. Plan is to fly down the night before. Stay at a hotel or something (there are 5 of us) then grab a shuttle of some sort and get to the terminal the next morning. But I have no firm plans on flights or which hotel. Maybe that can also be a tip? Where's the best place to stay the night before that gives free shuttle rides?

How about sail away? If we actually depart at 7pm but sail away party is before that (as I understand), are you able to get dinner in between the party and actually sailing away? I want to do it all.

Honestly, it would be fine to just give any kind of advice. People can sort through what is useful to them. I sort of asked not only for my own benefit, but for others who would read this as well.

First, you're going to have an amazing cruise on an amazing ship so don't start off by worrying too much :)

First, decide if you want Vibe. If so, all that will do is shift your embarkation day schedule up a few hours with a target arrival at the pier of just before 9am. If not, you pretty much have all day as all aboard isn't until later afternoon (check you eDocs for the specific time).

I would get a hotel near the airport, on the east side. There's a property for all major chains so choose which ever give you the best benefits/perks/points. Any Airport Hotel will have an Airport Shuttle, just check their website or call to make sure.

Saturday morning, the easiest way to get to the pier is Uber, hands down. With 5 and luggage you'll prolly need 2 X or 1 XL. $30-40 maybe but no hassle and you go when ever you want.

You can start the party as soon as you step aboard, bars and restaurants are open. You'll get a little one page ship guide that will show what's open. The only interruption is the safety briefing which was at 1530 last week.

The official Sail Away Party starts as soon as the ship is underway and may or may not include a trip to the turning basin. It did last week. Great views of the best city in the world. Yes, I'm from there.

Remember to check your eDocs because the Escape boards from both Terminal B and C,,, and your room keys are at only one of the terminals.

On the Getaway last year there was a group that made it further through the line than they should have - as far as someone telling them. They were in the wrong terminal. They were NOT happy!!!:eek:

The official Sail Away Party starts as soon as the ship is underway and may or may not include a trip to the turning basin. It did last week. Great views of the best city in the world. Yes, I'm from there.

So if sail away is scheduled to be at 7pm that is when the party starts? So maybe a good idea to eat dinner early if we want to be on deck for the party?

Are the pools, slides, ropes course, etc. all open right when boarding? On the BA last month I was very surprised that the slides, aquapark, kids pool, and ropes course didn't open until sailaway.

So if sail away is scheduled to be at 7pm that is when the party starts? So maybe a good idea to eat dinner early if we want to be on deck for the party?

The "Escape Miami Pool Deck Party" starts at 5:15 (right after muster). A lot of people are eating dinner during the real sail away. We did a 5:30 dinner so that we could be out on deck for the sail away.

Edited by BirdTravels

Well nothing yet. Plan is to fly down the night before. Stay at a hotel or something (there are 5 of us) then grab a shuttle of some sort and get to the terminal the next morning. But I have no firm plans on flights or which hotel. Maybe that can also be a tip? Where's the best place to stay the night before that gives free shuttle rides?
The first thing you need to do is figure out whether you will be flying into FLL or MIA. Then, depending upon what time of day will determine what type of hotel as well because if you're not getting in until 10 at night, you just need a reasonable place close to the airport that has a free shuttle. If you're arriving in the morning, then you may want to choose a different type of hotel depending upon what you're going to do for the day. Also, the rates will vary greatly depending upon the time of year. Rates that are around 100 during the summer will be 200 during the first quarter of the year. Check out the FLA departures board on CC for more info and suggestions.

Where is the sailaway party held? I did not see a traditional sailaway on Getaway, but I was just on the waterfront. Is there a line dancing type of sailaway party somewhere, like on Disney and Carnival? And it is at 5:15? So I can party a little and then go to my dinner at 6:30 on the waterfront?

Show up at the terminal at 10:45-11:00 am. Boarding will start at 11:30,,, take advantage of the quite time when boarding begins. Since the ship does not leave until 7, people board at a more leisurely pace. (Remember to check your eDocs because the Escape boards from both Terminal B and C,,, and your room keys are at only one of the terminals).

I like that plan, but what are the odds of being turned away until an assigned boarding time?

Where is the sailaway party held? I did not see a traditional sailaway on Getaway, but I was just on the waterfront. Is there a line dancing type of sailaway party somewhere, like on Disney and Carnival? And it is at 5:15? So I can party a little and then go to my dinner at 6:30 on the waterfront?

The "Escape Miami Pool Deck Party" starts at 5:15 (right after muster) on the Pool Deck. That's the sailaway party (although the ship doesn't leave port until 7 pm).

Do most people stay close to airport? I thought it would be neat to be closer to the beach but I'm sure more $$$.

Are there hotels that gives complimentary ride from airport and to port?

Luggage wise, you are allowed one carry-on? And what can you bring what sort of liquids in that carry-on? (Water, wine, beer) or do liquids have to be checked?

Only Airport Hotels will offer complimentary transportation to/from the Airport. There are not hotels I know of that offer a shuttle to PortMiami.

You can carry-on anything that you can carry. You can probably bring a refillable without issue or bottled water. Alcohol? Nope.

Do most people stay close to airport? I thought it would be neat to be closer to the beach but I'm sure more $$$.

Are there hotels that gives complimentary ride from airport and to port?

Luggage wise, you are allowed one carry-on? And what can you bring what sort of liquids in that carry-on? (Water, wine, beer) or do liquids have to be checked?

Once again....are you flying into FLL or MIA? Are you coming in the morning before or the evening before your cruise? These questions need to be answered before you can determine where would be the best place to stay. Check the FLA departures section of cruise critic to get much information regarding hotels. Depending upon the time of year you're staying, the rates will fluctuate greatly. If you're flying into MIA, the La Quinta MIA East location offers a free shuttle to the port as well.

We sailed the Escape in April (family of 4) when the departure time was 4:00pm. We boarded in one of the first groups, packed our swim suits in carry-on bags and headed strait for the water slides because the lines weren't too long! Some rules about the drop water slides and ropes course you should know. The drop slides require you to be at least 100 pounds (and yes, they will weigh you if you appear close), and you're not allowed to wear ANY jewelry (no wedding rings, piercings, anklets, bracelets, necklaces etc.), no hard hair clips, no glasses and no phone/camera. I also wouldn't wear a swim shirt because I noticed many people that had swim shirts on got stuck in the slide and had to be released out of the emergency hatch. For the ropes course you have to have closed toe and closed heal shoes, you can NOT be wet at all, you must wear a shirt that covers your shoulders (no tank tops), and you must wear shorts or pants (no skirts/dresses). You can wear sun glasses on the ropes course and you can bring a GoPro using a head or chest strap (no cell phones or hand held cameras). We ate lunch at the buffet and I think our room was ready by around 1:30. A hint for the buffet is to go to the back of the ship to find tables, there are usually plenty. Have a wonderful cruise and enjoy the beautiful Escape!

Only Airport Hotels will offer complimentary transportation to/from the Airport. There are not hotels I know of that offer a shuttle to PortMiami.

You can carry-on anything that you can carry. You can probably bring a refillable without issue or bottled water. Alcohol? Nope.

Red roof plus airport offers rides to port and free to leave car for 10 days. This will be our second time using them. It runs about $120

I am also going on Escape in October and have started planning air, hotel, and transportation to the POM. I found the Ramada Ft Lauderdale airport/cruise port ...it was a reasonable rate...and they have free airport shuttle and for 15.90 per person they will shuttle you to POM ...they have a pool, bar and restaurant on the property..we are flying spirit airlines on the red eye so I booked our hotel for two nights rather than one so we can go straight to our room when we arrive!

Sent from my HTC One using Forums mobile app

Once again....are you flying into FLL or MIA?

That's the thing. We haven't decided yet where we are flying into. The trip isn't until January so I've been watching flights to see which will be the cheaper option in the end. We will definitely fly in the night before so we need a hotel stay and transportation.