How far is it from the pier to Creek Street in Ketchikan?

jean-lynd

Can someone give me an idea of how far of a walk this is and if it can be done with a wheelchair?

Thanks!

It is relatively flat and takes about 5 - 10 minutes, it is really not far at all.

It depends on which pier you are docked. We were at the far end and it was quite a hike. Maybe you will be lucky and be closer! Creek Street itself is actually a series of boardwalks. Not sure how that would work with a wheelchair. Do a search for pictures, there should be plenty, and see what you think.

Can someone give me an idea of how far of a walk this is and if it can be done with a wheelchair?

Thanks!

It all depends on which berth your ship berths at. Berth 4 I'd say it's about 1/2 a mile, berth 1 about 1/4 of a mile. It is flat, easy walk on a sidewalk.

Thanks - we are supposed to be docked at pier 4 so we can plan accordingly. Are there any interesting things to see on the walk?

Be aware that dock 4 is a floating dock. At low tide- it is a significant up hill in a wheelchair. In my case- there was only assistance in getting off the ship and ship ramps, not to get up to the street. (several times). It is significant- if you can not manage independently- to check the tide tables and make sure your timing is at high tide. Once up to the street, it's a very easy walk to Creek St- if you have no mobility limitations and are capable of managing pushing the wheelchair, including up inclines. I've done this routine for several years along with taking the city bus, going to Walmart, getting rental cars, extended walking, pushing the wheel chair over miles.

Be aware that dock 4 is a floating dock. At low tide- it is a significant up hill in a wheelchair. In my case- there was only assistance in getting off the ship and ship ramps, not to get up to the street. (several times). It is significant- if you can not manage independently- to check the tide tables and make sure your timing is at high tide. Once up to the street, it's a very easy walk to Creek St- if you have no mobility limitations and are capable of managing pushing the wheelchair, including up inclines. I've done this routine for several years along with taking the city bus, going to Walmart, getting rental cars, extended walking, pushing the wheel chair over miles.

Thanks- low tide is at 4am and high tide is at 10am. I doubt we would get off the ship before 9 so it looks like we have good timing!

There is also a Free Downtown Shuttle for folks docked at Berth IV. It runs every 20 minutes. I believe they have ramps for wheel chairs to access the bus. You could take this to downtown area if you are concerned with the walk. It is a nice walk along the water though.

I see you also asked about going to the Silver Lining Seafoods on another post?

With a wheelchair- it is a very challenging walk, for a pusher. The sidewalks are all uneven and some are angled. You need to go in the street in some sections, especially if using the marina side. The other side is not much better. It would be a huge risk with someone large or if you struggle with pushing a wheel chair, up ramps, tight spaces etc.

I've walked it many times since my priorities take me in that direction every trip. I have my own routine and know where I want to cross etc. Just a warning to perhaps consider.

I see you also asked about going to the Silver Lining Seafoods on another post?

With a wheelchair- it is a very challenging walk, for a pusher. The sidewalks are all uneven and some are angled. You need to go in the street in some sections, especially if using the marina side. The other side is not much better. It would be a huge risk with someone large or if you struggle with pushing a wheel chair, up ramps, tight spaces etc.

I've walked it many times since my priorities take me in that direction every trip. I have my own routine and know where I want to cross etc. Just a warning to perhaps consider.

Thanks - that helps a lot!

We will be docking at pier 3. We would like to try the chowder sampler at Annabelle's Chowder House. Does anyone know if this is walkable for 2 seniors who tire easily?

We are also interested in the Duck Tour but I can't find where it starts? Is it better to book it through the ship?

Google Maps is your friend for questions like these. You can use Directions to find out how far something is, and how long it will take to walk. Some of the Alaskan ports even have Street View so you can "walk" the route and see what it really looks like. :cool: