Athens - Local Express Bus X80

bonsai3s

Has anyone used the fairly new local express bus X80 that goes from Piraeus to Athens? Where is the bus stop located at the cruise port? How often does it run to Athens? How often does it come back to Piraeus? How much is it? Where can we get tickets? Thank you.:)

Our first option was to take the metro. But after being warned about pickpockets, perhaps the local express bus X80 may be a better option.

We used the X80 bus when we were there on 5/30. It was very simple. From where we docked, we walked out through the terminal/parking lot onto the street. There was a kiosk with a person selling tickets (4.50 Euro each round trip). The guy in the kiosk pointed us and another couple to the bus stop across the street, but that's apparently not where the X80 bus stops. When we saw the bus, we waved at it and the driver pointed us back across the street (near the kiosk where we bought the tickets).

I'm pretty sure the bus starts running at 7:00am. We got on a little after 7:30am and it was only us and one other couple on the bus. The driver was very helpful - he told us how to validate the ticket and where to get off. He also pointed out where the stop for the return bus was. I would say it was ~20 minutes from the port to the stop for the Acropolis.

For the return, it was MUCH more crowded and it wasn't clear exactly what time it was coming, but it all worked out. I would definitely recommend the X80 bus.

yes, we would also recommend the X80 bus for a DIY of Athens.

the 4.5E ticket is a 24 hour ticket for all modes of transport.

we caught the bus outside the port gates (we were docked at B terminal) as described in the previous post.

we managed to see/do all the things on our list - Acropolis, Monastiraki flea market, Syntagma Square (where we watched the changing of the Presidential guards)

yes, it was crowded coming back from Athens. factor in time for the traffic too....

Thank you for all your detailed responses.

One last question. We wanted to confirm if the X80 bus runs all year long? Results of my search revealed the X80 bus may only run up to the end of October. Then someone said the bus runs when there's a ship docked at the cruise port in Piraeus.

Can someone confirm whether or not it stops running at the end of October? Or will it run during the winter when there are ships docked? Thank you. :) (Note: We will be in Piraeus in November. :eek: )

One last question. We wanted to confirm if the X80 bus runs all year long? Results of my search revealed the X80 bus may only run up to the end of October. Then someone said the bus runs when there's a ship docked at the cruise port in Piraeus.

Can someone confirm whether or not it stops running at the end of October? Or will it run during the winter when there are ships docked? Thank you. :) (Note: We will be in Piraeus in November. :eek: )

I am not 100% sure, but from what I have read, it seems the X80 stops running during the off-season. This has happened for the last two years. Last year it was announced that it would stop running (for the season) on November 1st.

I am not sure if it has been announced for 2016 yet -- but I wouldn't count on using it if you are there in November....

I am not 100% sure, but from what I have read, it seems the X80 stops running during the off-season. This has happened for the last two years. Last year it was announced that it would stop running (for the season) on November 1st.

I am not sure if it has been announced for 2016 yet -- but I wouldn't count on using it if you are there in November....

Thank you cruisemom42!

You've helped us in so many ways.

Every time we needed help in Europe, you and Hlitner are always a great source of detailed information. :)

What dates are you cruising and which cruiseline??

We can tell you with 100% certainty, that the X80 did stop running around Nov 1,, 2015 and did not restart until around the beginning of May (it was still not running during our most recent visit in April). Whether it will follow this same pattern in 2016 is anyone's guess. In fact, in April when we ask some port officials about it starting this year....they were not even sure...and yet it did start a few weeks later.

But if the X80 is not running, there is a good Plan B :). You can catch the 843 bus from across the street (from the port) around the harbor where you hop off at the train station (you can also just walk to the station in about 30 min). At the station you simply jump on the next train (Green Line) which will take you into Athens. The ticket for the 843 is also valid for the Green Line (it is a timed ticket good for at least an hour). Not sure if you can buy a bus ticket on the bus, but it is available from most small convenience shops and magazine kiosks. When you return to Pireaus you simply buy a train ticket for the Green Line and you can then use that same ticket to catch the 843 bus (the stop is across the street from the Pireaus station) back to the port...if you do not want to make the long walk.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I walked it and it took about 20 minutes to walk. (Pushing a double stroller). Another family took the bus and we got there at the same time so this year I think I will save the walk. Anyone with personal experience on where to buy the ticket and can you buy the day pass on the bus?

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to provide my experience with the X80 bus, which we took on Thursday, August 11.

Celebrity Constellation was scheduled to arrive in Piraeus at 6:00am, but actually arrived at around 5:40am. We got up extra early to get a jump start on the crowds and planned to take the 7:00am X80 bus. However, frustratingly, the authorities did not clear the ship until 7:15am! We were able to catch the 7:30am bus, which arrived punctually.

We were docked at Terminal A. From the ship there is a free shuttle through the port to the port terminal building. Once can also walk, but depending on the exact berth it is quite a hike without any shade. From the exit of the terminal building, keep left on the sidewalk along a fence to the street, where one will find a booth with a transit employee selling tickets (cash only). You can also purchase tickets directly from the bus driver. On the same side of the street as the ticket booth (i.e., across the street from the Keg N Crew Pub) is the location of the bus stop. The X80 bus will come from the opposite direction and then circle around to pick up from this bus stop, so do not be alarmed if you see it going the "wrong" way. NOTE: Local bus 843 also uses this stop but be aware that from this bus stop the direction is AWAY from the Piraeus Metro station (i.e., if you want to take 843 to the Metro station you have to cross the street and use the bus stop on that side of the road).

To take the X80 bus the fare is EUR4,50 for a 24-hour pass valid on all public transit (no discounts for children or seniors).

The ride into Athens was remarkably traffic-free, air-conditioned and comfortable, and the base of the Acropolis is the first major stop. There were only about six other people on the 7:30am bus with us. We arrived at the Acropolis stop a few minutes before 8:00am. The driver directed us to the Acropolis: walk a few steps in the same direction as the bus was travelling, cross at the pedestrian crosswalk, and then walk up the street to the entrance to the Acropolis. I believe that this is the SIDE ENTRANCE (southeast entrance) to the Acropolis closer to the Dionysus Theater, which is not nearly as crowded as the main entrance. In fact, there was only one other person in front of me at the ticket booth, and my purchase receipt indicates that I was in by 8:06am (the Acropolis opens at 8:00am), so we were one of the first ones in. At the Parthenon we had lots of great photos before any cruise groups got there! In contrast, by the time we left at around 10:00am there was barely any space to descend the steps due to crowding by so many tourists, and we noticed as we exited the main gates that there was probably a 45-minute queue to get in!

On the way back to the cruise ship, we boarded the X80 bus at Syntagma Square. The bus stop is located in front of the McDonald's which is on the west side of the square (closest to the Monastiraki direction). I would recommend getting on at this stop instead of the Acropolis stop, which is next on the way back to Piraeus. The reason is that most of the passengers getting on at the Acropolis stop did NOT have a seat and stood for the entire journey back to Piraeus. The bus was stuffy and crowded on the way back.

Of note, we were in port at the same time as MSC ships at several ports of call. The MSC passengers tended to be Europeans who were very comfortable taking public transit in the ports of call, and most of the users of the X80 bus were from the MSC ship, and not our Celebrity ship.

Hope this information helps someone!

Edited by A.Emgee

I just wanted to provide my experience with the X80 bus, which we took on Thursday, August 11.

Celebrity Constellation was scheduled to arrive in Piraeus at 6:00am, but actually arrived at around 5:40am. We got up extra early to get a jump start on the crowds and planned to take the 7:00am X80 bus. However, frustratingly, the authorities did not clear the ship until 7:15am! We were able to catch the 7:30am bus, which arrived punctually.

We were docked at Terminal A. From the ship there is a free shuttle through the port to the port terminal building. Once can also walk, but depending on the exact berth it is quite a hike without any shade. From the exit of the terminal building, keep left on the sidewalk along a fence to the street, where one will find a booth with a transit employee selling tickets (cash only). You can also purchase tickets directly from the bus driver. On the same side of the street as the ticket booth (i.e., across the street from the Keg N Crew Pub) is the location of the bus stop. The X80 bus will come from the opposite direction and then circle around to pick up from this bus stop, so do not be alarmed if you see it going the "wrong" way. NOTE: Local bus 843 also uses this stop but be aware that from this bus stop the direction is AWAY from the Piraeus Metro station (i.e., if you want to take 843 to the Metro station you have to cross the street and use the bus stop on that side of the road).

To take the X80 bus the fare is EUR4,50 for a 24-hour pass valid on all public transit (no discounts for children or seniors).

The ride into Athens was remarkably traffic-free, air-conditioned and comfortable, and the base of the Acropolis is the first major stop. There were only about six other people on the 7:30am bus with us. We arrived at the Acropolis stop a few minutes before 8:00am. The driver directed us to the Acropolis: walk a few steps in the same direction as the bus was travelling, cross at the pedestrian crosswalk, and then walk up the street to the entrance to the Acropolis. I believe that this is the SIDE ENTRANCE (southeast entrance) to the Acropolis closer to the Dionysus Theater, which is not nearly as crowded as the main entrance. In fact, there was only one other person in front of me at the ticket booth, and my purchase receipt indicates that I was in by 8:06am (the Acropolis opens at 8:00am), so we were one of the first ones in. At the Parthenon we had lots of great photos before any cruise groups got there! In contrast, by the time we left at around 10:00am there was barely any space to descend the steps due to crowding by so many tourists, and we noticed as we exited the main gates that there was probably a 45-minute queue to get in!

On the way back to the cruise ship, we boarded the X80 bus at Syntagma Square. The bus stop is located in front of the McDonald's which is on the west side of the square (closest to the Monastiraki direction). I would recommend getting on at this stop instead of the Acropolis stop, which is next on the way back to Piraeus. The reason is that most of the passengers getting on at the Acropolis stop did NOT have a seat and stood for the entire journey back to Piraeus. The bus was stuffy and crowded on the way back.

Of note, we were in port at the same time as MSC ships at several ports of call. The MSC passengers tended to be Europeans who were very comfortable taking public transit in the ports of call, and most of the users of the X80 bus were from the MSC ship, and not our Celebrity ship.

Thank you for the detailed info. we will be there in Oct and will use the info you provided.

Excellent information. It will certainly help us.

Thanks

• 6 years later...

The bus now runs about every 40 minutes but still cost 4.5 euros for 24 hours so definitely the cheapest way to get downtown from the port. But…,,you may sit waiting.  The schedule is attached.

IMG_2229.jpeg

IMG_2228.jpeg

On 8/21/2023 at 12:16 AM, Dawy said:
On 8/21/2023 at 12:16 AM, Dawy said:

The bus now runs about every 40 minutes but still cost 4.5 euros for 24 hours so definitely the cheapest way to get downtown from the port. But…,,you may sit waiting.  The schedule is attached.

IMG_2229.jpeg

IMG_2228.jpeg

Thanks!  Do you happen to have the schedule from the square to the port.