I can't make myself buy the in room bottle of booze...

john91498

I can't seem to bring myself to order the bottle of whiskey in room. I mean $90 for a bottle of $15 whiskey???

I know I'm going to spend around $500 just on booze and the $90 bottle will save me some money, but come on...that's almost criminal...

I'm with you on this one. $85 for a 1 liter bottle of Absolut? No way. I'm not condoning smuggling alcohol on board but I don't blame people who do.

I can purchase a 1.75 Liter bottle of Absolut for $27 at my local liquor store without coupons or loyalty card discounts.

DH and I are not real heavy drinkers anymore, so the last cruise, I decided to buy an in room bottle of Crown. Yes, it was $85 plus tax, yes, seems expensive on one hand, but if you do the math, it's not that bad. It's a liter bottle, there are 33.8 ounces in a liter. If you use 1.5 ounces per drink, you would get around 22 drinks from a bottle. The cruise prior to the one we just got off last month, the crown was $6.50 (plus gratuity). so at that rate, it would cost you $143. It is now $7.25 I think per drink. It was nice to have the bottle in your room when you arrived. I also ordered a bottle of Malibu for me, same reasoning. I'm not sure how that would compare with the Drinks package, but it worked well for us.

Shots of Jack Daniels are $6.50 plus gratuity on board = $7.48 per 45ml shot. There are approximately 22 shots in the 1l bottle.

On board, 22 shots will cost you $164.56.

The bottle via the Fun Shop will cost you $90

Do you want to save $75 dollars?

Shots of Jack Daniels are $6.50 plus gratuity on board = $7.48 per 45ml shot. There are approximately 22 shots in the 1l bottle.

On board, 22 shots will cost you $164.56.

The bottle via the Fun Shop will cost you $90

Do you want to save $75 dollars?

I did that math too as I also have problems with paying $90 for a bottle! If the bartender is a little generous in their pour (get to know your bartender!) then you get more for your money at the bar which drives down your savings on the bottle. I figure it's even better on the mixed drinks like long islands. Overall you do end up saving some on the bottle but I don't feel it ends up being $75. I'll probably end up buying a bottle for the room and hit the bar as well, the other option is cheers but I have a problem not getting my money's worth due to port days (thats another issue all together!)

I have sliced and I have diced the cheers card and there are two of us. We will not be drinking 20+ drinks, shots, cokes, coffees a day, no way, no how. I wish there were another way to grab a cheers card for one but there isn't. I think a bottle of patron is well worth it with it being $10+ a shot. :D

Since I can't drink the fruity frozen drinks anymore we are opting for a bottle for the room in lieu of Cheers. We decided we might be able to drink $800 worth in a week if we really work at it, but who wants to work on vacation? While the initial price of the bottle about gives me a coronary, it will save money during the course of the cruise.

We can have drinks on the balcony without having to play Rock/Paper/Scissors to see who goes to the bar for refills, and fill our cups to carry around the ship. When out and about we will order refills from the bars, but we can start with a nice big Cap'n and Coke from our uber expensive bottle. :D

I think some are just used to their local Costco prices, and don't realize that a cruise ship is a resort, and they can charge whatever they want for bottle service. There is always a large markup for bottle service anywhere. Cruise ship is cheap compared to Vegas (and some other cruise lines).

And for some of us not from Cali (I am originally), it really isn't a huge markup. Whenever I drive to San Diego to visit my daughter, I stock up on alcohol because it is extremely cheap down there. Everything else, not so much.

Edited by crzndeb

I can't seem to bring myself to order the bottle of whiskey in room. I mean $90 for a bottle of $15 whiskey???

I know I'm going to spend around $500 just on booze and the $90 bottle will save me some money, but come on...that's almost criminal...

It's still cheaper than Cheers or by the drink prices. Carnival has us all over a whiskey barrel!

I think some are just used to their local Costco prices, and don't realize that a cruise ship is a resort, and they can charge whatever they want for bottle service. There is always a large markup for bottle service anywhere. Cruise ship is cheap compared to Vegas (and some other cruise lines).

I have to agree with this. They can only charge what the market will bear and evidently, the market for 90.00 bottles of liquor is pretty good :cool: its no different than them charging 2.50+ for a can of coke they probably have .15 -.20 cents in.

At least Carnival offers this option. You certainly wont buy bottles of liquor for consumption on any of Royals cruise lines.

Edited by ryano

On my January Boy's Cruise (Victory) I opted to spend the $$ for a bottle of scotch for the cabin in addition to Cheers. It may seem $$$ but when you add it to tryhe big picture not so much. I did finish the 1L bottle. I liked it well enough that I will do it again. Only use Carnival for Boy's Cruises. Works well for them but not for couples things. I also paid the $20 for lobster every night in the MDR without complaint. Maine tails not spiny. No steakhouse on Victory. :D

I did that math too as I also have problems with paying $90 for a bottle! If the bartender is a little generous in their pour (get to know your bartender!) then you get more for your money at the bar which drives down your savings on the bottle. I figure it's even better on the mixed drinks like long islands. Overall you do end up saving some on the bottle but I don't feel it ends up being $75. I'll probably end up buying a bottle for the room and hit the bar as well, the other option is cheers but I have a problem not getting my money's worth due to port days (thats another issue all together!)

Even with a generous pour (say 2 full ounces) - that's still 16 drinks per bottles for a total cost of $90 so that's $5.63 per drink cost compared to $7.48 cost buying those same 16 "generous" pours at a bar for a total savings of around $30.

And let's face it, the way you're "getting to know your bartender" is by tipping extra so you need to add in the extra as my figures above do not include the extra gratuity you're slipping them - so your saving will probably be around $40 (including the extra $10 in tips).

I know about the math, it's more about the outrageous mark up. I feel better if I spend the $7 per shot, even if it is more money.

Cheers is out since my wife doesn't drink.

You either pay about a 700% markup on each shot or you pay about a 300% markup on a bottle...but however your mind works that makes it better - go for it.

But how much is a cruise on HAL compared to the same on Carnival?

Point well made. Cunard is even less fussy, and you can bring a bottle or two on board for free. Then again, look at the cruise prices.

That's why I don't. Why spend $90 for a bottle of $350 to $700 for cheers, especially when it's like pulling teeth to get them to serve you.

We still bring our own on board, while the cruise lines are still trying to combat smugglers methods from 3 generations ago. The silliest was the policy change on water <rolls eyes>.

I look at those price and just get mad. HAL only charged $35.

Carnival never hosed the customers with their set up prices either till word got out that there were bon voyage liquor setups. It was so secretive they were never even listed; you had to call.

Once word got out, the prices were jacked significantly, not once, but twice. If I recall correctly, one of the two price jackings was denied until they had to admit it.

Looking at it wrong.

Look at the bottle as entertainment. No different than buying food at the fair, ballpark or amusement park. Could I make turkey legs cheaper at home, sure.

Carnival's giving you a way to save some money on your cruise. Could be 'dry' onboard and drink onshore.

Edited by SadieN

Don't buy one.