Cheers: Not about breaking even for us

zabaco

What seems really stressful are the cruisers that do get Cheers, and it becomes a mission to reach that "break even" point....some of them seem to be on a mission. Cant tell you how many times I hear them asking the bartender "how many more do I have left for today"....lol, too funny :D

I have asked the bartender how many I had left and only once in 5 cruises days did I hit my "limit."

On my first Carnival cruise I didn't buy Cheers and a few weeks later when I cruised again I did buy it because I would have saved about $125 had I bought it the first time. Bought it every one thereafter. Traveled solo so no problem and it was before you could pre-order online. I definitely would have.

I'm cruising with a cabin mate next week who doesn't drink so I can't do Cheers. I'll live with buying one at a time!

When I cruise (solo) in October I will pre-order Cheers. It will be paid for before I leave home!

So--even if we don't "break even", I think Cheers will enhance our vacation experience so much that it will be worth the cost. And THAT is worth paying for.

This is it for me exactly. I want to enjoy the minute and not worry about another ten dollars on my credit card. I will breakeven but more importantly, I will try new things. My husband loves trying new wine. The price per glass on the Cheers program is $50. That is the cost for the entire day.

Explore and have fun.

Bobbi

next cruise: Sept 15, 2016 Orlando

And just to clarify--I predict he will drink a LOT MORE than his typical at home (where he has one beer or one glass of wine per night). He will probably have 3-4 drinks per day, plus bottled water. Maybe more, but I'm not going to know until we are there.

While we won't break even, we will have a much more relaxed and enjoyable vacation because of the Cheers package. That's worth $500 to me.

And maybe we will surprise ourselves and find that we DO break even.

It's our 25th anniversary and we are going to relax, have our first kid-free vacation in years, and not think about how much every drink costs because we have already paid for it.

Yikes! I see this thread is 6 pages already. Not going to read all that as know you are probably getting flamed all over the place. Just wanted to say I get it. We ARE drinkers, but have never hit the 15 limit. But, before Cheers! I used to skip having a choclatini or other such drinks as to the cost factor and was afraid I would not like it. Now, if I order something and dislike it, easy, wait 5 minutes, try something else. My husband drinks more than I do, so our bill before Cheers! was higher than the program, but, I was the frugal one that tried hardly anything. Would have never bought a specialty coffee or a milkshake or wine with dinner. I love I can try anything and not feel extravagant about it. Much more relaxing! You guys enjoy your anniversary! I feel you made a wise and fun decision!:)

I'm really trying to understand the logic, so please forgive me.

With Cheers, you go to the bar, order a drink, they give you the slip with a $0 on it. Done

Without Cheers, you go to the bar, order a drink, they give you the slip with an amount $ on it, you sign your name. Done.

I don't understand what stress there is. You are still spending the money.

Why spend more than you need to? The charge for Cheers or Pay As You Go is still going to be on your credit card either way.

I guess I'm just not comprehending the "stress" part of it.

The stress part of it to me is do I or do I not buy the drink that I might or might like and then not like it and then I do feel that I have wasted my money. Yes I know I still have spent the money either way but it is a psychological thing to me. I love to try new things on a cruise including the food that I probably wouldn't try at a restaurant at home simply because I would have to still pay for it if I didn't like it so with Cheers I feel more inclined to try new drinks and I have found some that I just put back on the bar and some I have loved. I am also one of those guys that loves a cruise because it is one time that I can order a fruity, sweet drink and not feel like everyone is watching me so I will drink more on a cruise that usual.:D I do like to prepay for most things because you never know what might come up later so at least this is taken care of now and if something else does come up I can take care of it and then think that we might have to cut back on other things like having an extra drink on the cruise. Just my feelings on it.

I'm really trying to understand the logic, so please forgive me.

With Cheers, you go to the bar, order a drink, they give you the slip with a $0 on it. Done

Without Cheers, you go to the bar, order a drink, they give you the slip with an amount $ on it, you sign your name. Done.

I don't understand what stress there is. You are still spending the money.

Why spend more than you need to? The charge for Cheers or Pay As You Go is still going to be on your credit card either way.

I guess I'm just not comprehending the "stress" part of it.

The "stress" part for me comes with the inner debate of "Should I get the drink that is likely to be smaller and made with lower quality alcohol for more money than I would pay at home?" I'm all about value -- I'll spend money freely if I know it's "worth" it (to me). A $10 margarita that's likely of lesser quality than I can get at my local Mexican joint? Nope.

When I'm pricing cruises, I always add in the cost of Cheers. If the price is still reasonable, then the cruise is a good value for me. It's the same reason why we do the Disney Dining Plan (as someone else has stated). I don't argue with myself about getting the $40 steak versus the $20 chicken, because the cost was already factored into the trip as a whole, and we made the determination that it's still a good value.

Cheers just removes me arguing with myself about whether or not that individual drink is worth it. By factoring the cost into the cruise total as a whole, I've already accounted for the bar tab.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Now after going back and reading all the post I must say that I have found another reason I like cruising. All the different people you get to meet. So many different thoughts and reasoning here but for the most part everyone has done it in a really respectful manner. Who knows, I might have sailed with someone who really thinks Cheers is a complete and utter waste of money but we might have sat at the same dinner table and had a wonderful time. Cruising is all about the people and the fun you can have. So everyone go and have a good time and enjoy yourselves and who knows, maybe we can all be friends.

Yikes! I see this thread is 6 pages already. Not going to read all that as know you are probably getting flamed all over the place.

Actually, many are agreeing and those that don't are (mostly) not being jerks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Now after going back and reading all the post I must say that I have found another reason I like cruising. All the different people you get to meet. So many different thoughts and reasoning here but for the most part everyone has done it in a really respectful manner. Who knows, I might have sailed with someone who really thinks Cheers is a complete and utter waste of money but we might have sat at the same dinner table and had a wonderful time. Cruising is all about the people and the fun you can have. So everyone go and have a good time and enjoy yourselves and who knows, maybe we can all be friends.

NC, good post....tell ya what, to show your genuine interest in friendship, next cruise, you can buy me a drink....wait, you have Cheers, so you cant :confused:....tell ya what, I will buy you a drink, and I promise I wont even stress over the $10 on my account :D

Edited by First and Ten

Actually, many are agreeing and those that don't are (mostly) not being jerks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I stand corrected! I did go back and read some more and am pleasantly shocked! Nice thread for a change. As you said (mostly).:)

We are cruising in August but did not purchase Cheers. Even though people have the 15 drink limit which makes them feel more relaxed and carefree, I just set a limit for myself. I will allow myself 5 drinks a day, and I probably wont even get to all 5! :p But by doing that I feel happy ordering whatever I want and enjoying myself on vacation, and saving a lot of money in the long run. To each his own, this is just my plan!

We purchased Cheers on our last cruise and enjoyed trying to break even [emoji23]. We didn't quite make it, but we weren't upset about it. I completely understand the feeling of freedom it gives to try some things you normally wouldn't. That said, we have decided not to get Cheers for our upcoming cruise and instead will just budget for 4-5 drinks a day on sea days and 2-3 on port days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

NC, good post....tell ya what, to show your genuine interest in friendship, next cruise, you can buy me a drink....wait, you have Cheers, so you cant :confused:....tell ya what, I will buy you a drink, and I promise I wont even stress over the $10 on my account :D

$10?!? Ya cheapskate!

NC will be on Cheers and only drinking from the top shelf at Alchemy or the Steakhouse. Make it $25 and you might make a friend 😎

$10?!? Ya cheapskate!

NC will be on Cheers and only drinking from the top shelf at Alchemy or the Steakhouse. Make it $25 and you might make a friend ✌

DnD, I am on vacation, so if I offered to buy someone a drink and they chose a $25 cocktail, seriously, I aint stressing

That said, I know there are a few wines/champagnes/scotches that push the $25 limit, but typically, even top shelf doesn't usually come close to $25....but I do know the type of person that when they are paying, its a $6 beer, but if you offer to buy them a drink, they all of a sudden want Johnny Walker Blue!!!!

Edited by First and Ten

Yikes! I see this thread is 6 pages already. Not going to read all that as know you are probably getting flamed all over the place. Just wanted to say I get it. We ARE drinkers, but have never hit the 15 limit. But, before Cheers! I used to skip having a choclatini or other such drinks as to the cost factor and was afraid I would not like it. Now, if I order something and dislike it, easy, wait 5 minutes, try something else. My husband drinks more than I do, so our bill before Cheers! was higher than the program, but, I was the frugal one that tried hardly anything. Would have never bought a specialty coffee or a milkshake or wine with dinner. I love I can try anything and not feel extravagant about it. Much more relaxing! You guys enjoy your anniversary! I feel you made a wise and fun decision!:)

Actually, NO! An amazing lack of flaming. I've been pleasantly surprised.

And thank you!

Lol I know I was being facetious.

Even on cheers I mostly drink what I drink at home Crown n 7. Not really top shelf anymore.

I need to try that....I have had Crown and Coke, need to try the Crown and 7....maybe I need to hit that one tonight!

Edited by First and Ten

Lol

I'm back to buying it....I want to get it.

I know I will make good use of cheers as will my husband.

If I'm stressing now of the $800 what I know will happen Is that I will pass on some great drinks because I don't want a bar bill and be miserable because we didn't get cheers.lol

I don't understand some previous responses saying they're Not getting cheers BUT are factoring in 5 drinks.

If you already know you'll have 5 drinks a day than you're even already.

Throw in waters and coffee and it's a win/win👊🏻👍🏻🎉

Lol

If I'm stressing now of the $800 what I know will happen Is that I will pass on some great drinks because I don't want a bar bill and be miserable because we didn't get cheers.lol

I don't understand some previous responses saying they're Not getting cheers BUT are factoring in 5 drinks.

Throw in waters and coffee and it's a win/win

not if its 5 domestic beers

Edited by First and Ten

Lol I know I was being facetious.

Even on cheers I mostly drink what I drink at home Crown n 7. Not really top shelf anymore.

I need to try that....I have had Crown and Coke, need to try the Crown and 7....maybe I need to hit that one tonight!

Hmmm.... I may need to try this one as well... I generally do 7&7 50/50 split. Or Crown & Coke... Never tried Crown & 7...

Think I will go home and try this out.

To stay on topic, my wife always gives me grief about our S&S bill at the end, because when on vacation I DO like to drink. On our upcoming cruise, she is all for CHEERS since they added on some extras.

I still cannot decide if I want to spend an extra $800 though.

Decisions, decisions... :D

Mike

Lol

Throw in waters and coffee and it's a win/win[emoji109]🏻[emoji106]🏻[emoji322]

We are going to drink bottled water ALL OF THE TIME! And GOOD coffee, which we never have done on a cruise.

Honestly, I'm very excited about both of those things. We never pay for bottled water on a cruise, but I'm always a little suspicious of the tap water (even though intellectually I know it is fine.)

We are going to drink bottled water ALL OF THE TIME! And GOOD coffee, which we never have done on a cruise.

Honestly, I'm very excited about both of those things. We never pay for bottled water on a cruise, but I'm always a little suspicious of the tap water (even though intellectually I know it is fine.)

I don't know if you realize this, but you can purchase a 12 pack for I think its $3.99 and it will be delivered to your room and be waiting for you when you embark

Edited by First and Ten

I wouldn't dream of doing Cheers if it was alcohol only. But add in the waters (seriously I just looked... a 1.5 liter of water is $5!), coffees, milkshakes, hot chocolate, etc etc etc....

I wouldn't dream of doing Cheers if it was alcohol only. But add in the waters (seriously I just looked... a 1.5 liter of water is $5!), coffees, milkshakes, hot chocolate, etc etc etc....

I'm almost as excited about milkshakes as I am about alcohol...

But these added items are what convinced my wife that we should do this...

And spiked shakes mmmmm

Chocolate with Kahlua!