Cheers: Not about breaking even for us

zabaco

While I agree that it nice to just know that at the end of the cruise your bar bill will be $0 . You also have to know that on 7 day cruise you have already spent over $700 before you have one drink. I know that I kind of am going to come close to the break even on my package but my Wife won't even come close . So I struggle with knowing that I am going to waste over $200 plus on the Cheers package

Will you ENJOY having cheers? If so, don't think of it as "wasting $200." Maybe you will get more than $200 of enjoyment out of it!

Will Cheers add VALUE to your experience?

There is more to "value" than just a dollar amount.

While I agree that it nice to just know that at the end of the cruise your bar bill will be $0 . You also have to know that on 7 day cruise you have already spent over $700 before you have one drink. I know that I kind of am going to come close to the break even on my package but my Wife won't even come close . So I struggle with knowing that I am going to waste over $200 plus on the Cheers package

And if you're going to order what you want and your wife is going to order what she wants - regardless of cost - then you can skip the Cheers if you don't find the financial value.

I think the OP, and myself, and I'm sure many others, deal everyday with frugal people who would rather not open up the purse strings - EVER if it were possible. When things are pre-paid though, it gives a certain freedom because it doesn't matter if you order the $6 cheap vodka and OJ or you order the Cruiser at $9.25 - it's all covered so you can get what you really want and not the least expensive option.

I have friends who don't care what they spend on themselves when we go out. They want the $29 shrimp dish - they get, plus the $12 appetizer and 2 $10 cocktails. They get whatever they want and spend on themselves any amount (of course - some of these are the same people who will only tip 10% because that's enough and why should they have to supplement someone else's wages).

I however, always look for the best value on the menu (not necessarily the cheapest but the best bang for my buck entrée), split my meal into two portions where possible and take a portion home for my lunch the next day, generally don't order alcohol with meals (but will tip 20% in recognition of good service).

And then there's people like my dad who won't go out to eat. He prefers takeout so that he doesn't have to buy any kind of beverage, can order one meal and split it between himself and my mom and always looks for the cheapest thing on the menu. He loves steak but won't order it in a regular restaurant because it's "too expensive".

Cruising is perfect because it's one cost up front - and he's free to order what he wants, when he wants because it's included. The same when he has a beverage package. On Celebrity, I get him the non-alcoholic classic package so he can enjoy not only sodas but specialty coffees from Café Bacio. He learned on a previous cruise that he LOVES Americanos. And as long as they are covered by the package, he freely orders several a day.

On our last Carnival cruise, I suggested that he enjoy one from the coffee bar. You'd think I was asking him to donate a kidney. No way was he buying a coffee! He could just drink the stuff from up in the buffet for free! :rolleyes:

It's not logic. It's emotion. Psychology.

I was talking to my husband about the very interesting discussion going on in this thread. My husband--the dude who won't buy ONE drink because he doesn't want to spend the money.

That's the same husband who is now excited that we have Cheers. He realizes that psychologically he is unwilling to spend money on a drink my drink basis but because it's "paid for", he will be able to venture out and get new things he would hold back from.

So I guess the "logical" mind has a hard time understanding, but there is so much more to it for some people.

Cheers is "loosen up" insurance for us.

OK, ok, I get it in a way. :D I drink, my DH does not so I totally forgot about this but he gets the Bottomless Bubbles just about every cruise and he does it for the convenience, he never drinks enough soda to make it worth it to him so I tell him just get them individually. Nope, he wants the sticker on the card. It drives me crazy though from a financial standpoint.

Well, I hope you and your DH enjoy your cruise and enjoy Cheers. Happy Anniversary! :)

I totally get where you are coming from. Had Carnival not require that all adults in the same cabin buy the Cheers package I would have got it for myself fully knowing I wouldnt "break even".

It would have allowed me to prepay for my drinks and try things I normally wouldnt try or worrying about keeping up with how large a bar tab I would have. In the end, I only spent about 200.00 on drinks and I would have drank the same had I had Cheers. They could have gotten more out of me had I been able to purchase Cheers.

Edited by ryano

And if you're going to order what you want and your wife is going to order what she wants - regardless of cost - then you can skip the Cheers if you don't find the financial value.

I think the OP, and myself, and I'm sure many others, deal everyday with frugal people who would rather not open up the purse strings - EVER if it were possible. When things are pre-paid though, it gives a certain freedom because it doesn't matter if you order the $6 cheap vodka and OJ or you order the Cruiser at $9.25 - it's all covered so you can get what you really want and not the least expensive option.

I have friends who don't care what they spend on themselves when we go out. They want the $29 shrimp dish - they get, plus the $12 appetizer and 2 $10 cocktails. They get whatever they want and spend on themselves any amount (of course - some of these are the same people who will only tip 10% because that's enough and why should they have to supplement someone else's wages).

I however, always look for the best value on the menu (not necessarily the cheapest but the best bang for my buck entrée), split my meal into two portions where possible and take a portion home for my lunch the next day, generally don't order alcohol with meals (but will tip 20% in recognition of good service).

And then there's people like my dad who won't go out to eat. He prefers takeout so that he doesn't have to buy any kind of beverage, can order one meal and split it between himself and my mom and always looks for the cheapest thing on the menu. He loves steak but won't order it in a regular restaurant because it's "too expensive".

Cruising is perfect because it's one cost up front - and he's free to order what he wants, when he wants because it's included. The same when he has a beverage package. On Celebrity, I get him the non-alcoholic classic package so he can enjoy not only sodas but specialty coffees from Café Bacio. He learned on a previous cruise that he LOVES Americanos. And as long as they are covered by the package, he freely orders several a day.

On our last Carnival cruise, I suggested that he enjoy one from the coffee bar. You'd think I was asking him to donate a kidney. No way was he buying a coffee! He could just drink the stuff from up in the buffet for free! :rolleyes:

You described "frugal" people very well, and I guess some people don't have the pleasure of traveling with these people. :-) It can be quite a challenge.

One reason I love to cruise is exactly what you said--paying for MEALS!

We went on a non-cruise beach trip one time and my husband and I had an argument one day about eating breakfast. He didn't want to pay for breakfast and suggested that we all wait until lunch. He also doesn't want to go to a nice restaurant and will try to get us to go to fast food to save money. I don't WANT fast food. I am on vacation!!!

On a cruise, "food is included" so we can eat meals when we want to rather than around how much they are going to cost.

Yes, frugal people can suck all of the fun out of a trip, unless you make it all inclusive so they can relax.

I love my husband very much--notice we are at our 25th anniversary--and I appreciate often how he balances my more free spending ways. :-)

Well, I'm one of the "logical" ones and I simply don't get it. Just because it's prepaid doesn't mean anything! Total cost is what matters.

I find it much more stressful to prepay for things. I prefer to pay as I go. I don't pay off my cruise early. I'm buying Verizon gift cards these days (for the 10% discount) and even find myself not wanting to buy them too far before needing to use them.

Hey, I was very nearly destitute for many years. I had to learn to be frugal to survive. Even though I "could" spend more on things now, I won't if it isn't necessary. Why should I? Spending less now means I may be able to continue to spend later.

I still cruise 2-3 times a year and have a great time. I don't waste money on a balcony cabin (I love my nice, dark, cheap interior cabins). I sometimes go to the steakhouse, but I'm usually happy with the meals that are included. I don't buy Cheers but I do buy the wine package. Thankfully, I don't like the fruity drinks!

I'm an accountant. Wasteful spending is against my nature! ;)

But as a CCL shareholder, I want to thank all of you who go ahead and purchase Cheers knowing you won't break even. :p

OP ... Just out of curiosity ... does your DH know the cost of Cheers?

My MIL is as frugal as it gets. We took her on a cruise and purchased Cheers for her. She didnt break even but said it was her best cruise ever. Till about 3 weeks after the cruise and she found out how much it was.

LOL She ripped my DW a new one for being so wasteful with our money. Haha

Edited by DnD_Cruisin

I totally get where you are coming from. Had Carnival not require that all adults in the same cabin buy the Cheers package I would have got it for myself fully knowing I wouldnt "break even".

It would have allowed me to prepay for my drinks and try things I normally wouldnt try or worrying about keeping up with how large a bar tab I would have. In the end, I only spent about 200.00 on drinks and I would have drank the same had I had Cheers. They could have gotten more out of me had I been able to purchase Cheers.

YES! This is me. If I could order it for JUST me, I'd possibly do it.... even knowing I wouldn't break even. However, since my husband would have to get it also dampers things a lot.

My mother, niece, and I are considering a girl's cruise later 17 or early 18. Perhaps then, I'll do it... if they agree. LOL

OP ... Just out of curiosity ... does your DH know the cost of Cheers?

My MIL is as frugal as it gets. We took her on a cruise and purchased Cheers for her. She didnt break even but said it was her best cruise ever. Till about 3 weeks after the cruise and she found out how much it was.

LOL She ripped my DW a new one for being so wasteful with our money. Haha

I may have not told him the cost until after he agreed we could buy it. :-) But amazingly he is okay with it.

I am sure it's because he recognizes how much he will enjoy the experience. I think he is looking forward to letting loose almost as much as I am looking forward to seeing it happen.

Well, I'm one of the "logical" ones and I simply don't get it. Just because it's prepaid doesn't mean anything! Total cost is what matters.

I find it much more stressful to prepay for things. I prefer to pay as I go. I don't pay off my cruise early. I'm buying Verizon gift cards these days (for the 10% discount) and even find myself not wanting to buy them too far before needing to use them.

Hey, I was very nearly destitute for many years. I had to learn to be frugal to survive. Even though I "could" spend more on things now, I won't if it isn't necessary. Why should I? Spending less now means I may be able to continue to spend later.

I still cruise 2-3 times a year and have a great time. I don't waste money on a balcony cabin (I love my nice, dark, cheap interior cabins). I sometimes go to the steakhouse, but I'm usually happy with the meals that are included. I don't buy Cheers but I do buy the wine package. Thankfully, I don't like the fruity drinks!

I'm an accountant. Wasteful spending is against my nature! ;)

But as a CCL shareholder, I want to thank all of you who go ahead and purchase Cheers knowing you won't break even. :p

I promise you. Total cost is not everything when it comes to the experience for everyone.

I LOVE a balcony cabin. Sitting on that balcony is one of my greatest pleasures on a cruise, bar none. I would despise having an inside cabin. We did on our first cruise only and I vowed NEVER again.

I love that we all find what suits our personality better and do that.

I see that you cruise 2-3 times per year. We only cruise once per year. I would rather upgrade the experience on our one cruise than take more frugal cruises.

Is either way better? No! Well, actually YES--each way is better for US because it suits our individual styles better. My way is definitely preferable to me, and you love cruising more frequently. Win/win!

I don't mind paying more to have a luxurious-feeling experience and you want to pay less so you can cruise more frequently!

Whatever floats our boats! :-)

Edited by zabaco

I promise you. Total cost is not everything when it comes to the experience for everyone.

I also LOVE a balcony cabin. Sitting on that balcony is one of my greatest pleasures on a cruise, bar none.

I see that you cruise 2-3 times per year. We only cruise once per year. I would rather upgrade the experience on our one cruise than take more frugal cruises.

Is either way better? No! Well, actually YES--each way is better for US because it suits our individual styles better. My way is definitely preferable to me, and you love cruising more frequently. Win/win!

I don't mind paying more to have a luxurious-feeling experience and you want to pay less so you can cruise more frequently!

Like! :)

This thread has made me really do some deep self-inspection.

I am a money-spender in spirit. I shop a lot online - and never press the buy button, because I can't see spending that amount of money on myself. Part of that is necessity. We are a 1 income family, with 4 children. We homeschool, and decided early on that I wouldn't work, instead stay home and school the kids. So frugality is necessity. Part of it is truly simply my nature. I've always been a 'saver' rather than a spender.

So, when the opportunity arises, will I really hit the buy button on cheers?? I don't know. But I do know it is the only way I'll buy any drinks.

For me, it's not only about being able to relax and not worry about the final bill, but it's about being able to splurge, so to speak.

For me, it's a vacation. I want to be able to enjoy it and not have to worry about the bill at the end. I'm sure that's what everyone who likes the all-inclusive mentality is going for, too.

Now, I wouldn't necessarily call myself frugal. I'm one of those chicas who buys the $100+ purses. But I am all about value -- and looking at the menu and seeing a drink for $10 that I know I can get at home for $6? I'll pass, thanks. That's what I did on my first cruise, and it admittedly put a damper on the experience.

*That* is what I want to avoid. Will I make Cheers! worth it? Absolutely -- but I'm getting on a ship Thursday with the intention of it being a booze cruise. Even if I didn't deliberately try to make it worth it, the peace of mind of not having to mentally cost compare with the prices of drinks at home (can't help myself there) makes it a good value for me.

Cost is fixed, value is relative. I value the $100+ purse and the ability to drink without looking at the bill. Others don't. Whatever floats your boat!

(Bad pun, sorry.)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This thread has made me really do some deep self-inspection.

I am a money-spender in spirit. I shop a lot online - and never press the buy button, because I can't see spending that amount of money on myself. Part of that is necessity. We are a 1 income family, with 4 children. We homeschool, and decided early on that I wouldn't work, instead stay home and school the kids. So frugality is necessity. Part of it is truly simply my nature. I've always been a 'saver' rather than a spender.

So, when the opportunity arises, will I really hit the buy button on cheers?? I don't know. But I do know it is the only way I'll buy any drinks.

We aren't in the same boat income wise and 2 of our 3 kids are out on their own now ... but ... my DW is exactly like you. I can't go into any of the online shopping accts we have without finding things in the cart. She refuses to buy anything for herself ... but .... has no problem if the purchase is for the kids 😀

When we cruise she lets me set the budget. With Cheers she knows she can splurge a little on herself and it's ok. She is able to relax and enjoy the trip.

I'm not saying you have to or can afford to do this. I am sympathizing with you. I hope that life will allow you to splurge every once in a while and you can enjoy it as my DW has. Raising 4 kids ... you deserve it 👍

I LOVE a balcony cabin. Sitting on that balcony is one of my greatest pleasures on a cruise, bar none. I would despise having an inside cabin. We did on our first cruise only and I vowed NEVER again.

This exactly! I don't mind an interior because I am rarely in the room and love being out on lido in the crowd, but I did splurge on Cheers, because I only get to go on a cruise once every year or two. It made the cruise seem so much more inclusive. Plus I am one of those that almost hits max drinks on port days, so I benefit a lot from it. Everybody prefers their own style of cruising and that's what makes it such a great vacation.

We aren't in the same boat income wise and 2 of our 3 kids are out on their own now ... but ... my DW is exactly like you. I can't go into any of the online shopping accts we have without finding things in the cart. She refuses to buy anything for herself ... but .... has no problem if the purchase is for the kids 😀

When we cruise she lets me set the budget. With Cheers she knows she can splurge a little on herself and it's ok. She is able to relax and enjoy the trip.

I'm not saying you have to or can afford to do this. I am sympathizing with you. I hope that life will allow you to splurge every once in a while and you can enjoy it as my DW has. Raising 4 kids ... you deserve it 👍

Aww thank you!! That's very sweet of you to say. I am much more able to splurge on my kids than myself. Or even my husband. There's something about buying for ME that seems selfish... I just know the money could go to much better use.

And that's the way I am if I buy drinks individually. I just won't do it. There's something about the idea of 'that money's already spent' that would appeal to me. I won't buy cheers when vacationing with my kids, anyway. But if we do a girls cruise, then it's a definite possibility!

First of all, may I say this is one of the most respectful posts I've read on here - well except the one "people with higher education" person.

I bought CHEERS for the fist time last year because I was celebrating a birthday and I just wanted to splurge. I did not get "my money's worth" but I loved it. I know it doesn't make sense logically, but it was a special occasion and I wanted to try it.

I have sense gotten CHEERS on another cruise - mainly because I got a great casino deal on the cruise itself & didn't mind spending $$ for CHEERS knowing I probably wouldn't break even. I didn't BTW but probably came close - loved getting those coffees.

On this next cruise I'm getting CHEERS again. I may not break even again (though there will be an Alchemy on the Magic - so who knows), but if not I will have fun trying (lol). I understand both types of people - the logical ones and the ones like me.

Nothing wrong with that logic, it is like fun insurance.

If we look at all the $ we spend on insurance over our lives for home/auto, compared to the amount we "collect" on that insurance, nobody "breaks even" with insurance.

Don't believe me? The tallest buildings in every metropolis are what? Banking or insurance institutions. Why do you think that is?

We make our choices and live our lives.

OP, have a GREAT cruise!!

I think a few posters summed it up perfectly when they mentioned "mindset" and how the emotional may outweigh the logical....again, if it works for them, more power to them. To each their own, there is no right or wrong. I personally don't get cheers because DW does not drink that much....on our last 5 night cruise, Cheers would have been $575, whereas I believe our bar bill came to about $400....did we try things we didn't like, sure. My mindset is I am on vacation, I won't "stress" about a $9 drink I may not like....if I have to stress about a wasted $10, I shouldnt be on vacation

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by First and Ten

What seems really stressful are the cruisers that do get Cheers, and it becomes a mission to reach that "I gotta get it all" point....some of them seem to be on a mission. Cant tell you how many times I hear them asking the bartender "how many more do I have left for today"....lol, too funny :D

Edited by First and Ten

What seems really stressful are the cruisers that do get Cheers, and it becomes a mission to reach that "break even" point....some of them seem to be on a mission. Cant tell you how many times I hear them asking the bartender "how many more do I have left for today"....lol, too funny :D

Break even or the 15 max?

Either way, you're right, it is kinda funny 😃

My Wife does not drink at all, but she has commented many times that if she did, this is the reason she would buy Cheers. So that she would know every time she got a drink that it was already paid for and that would provide peace of mind.

For me, it would be the opposite. I have not drank my 7 today, Carnival is winning, must start drinking!!!!

Edited by asalligo

My Wife does not drink at all, but she has commented many times that if she did, this is the reason she would buy Cheers. So that she would know every time she got a drink that it was already paid for and that would provide peace of mind.

For me, it would be the opposite. I have not drank my 7 today, Carnival is winning, must start drinking!!!!

What really made it entertaining was the day in HMC....Carnival advised that the Cheers program is NOT in effect on the island. I incorrectly assumed that the bars must be privately owned, so I bring cash....That is not the case. The S&S card works fine and you can charge drinks to your account, but they do NOT honor the Cheers program....Later on when we are back on board, you got plenty of people trying to "get their monies worth from the Cheers program" after drinking all day on the island....its like a mission to some people....and they didn't look relaxed on their mission to drink :D

Edited by First and Ten