Norwegian Fjords May or Aug?

We are looking at the 7 day Norwegian Fjords Cruise and are flexible in dates.

Which month tends to be the best to cruise in terms of scenery and weather?

August. We went in early June and it was cool and rainy for about half the ports. Not that it wont rain in August but it will be slightly warmer.

-Sean

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

We had spectacular weather for our 11 night cruise that departed on 6/5. I think it's a lot like Alaska - you never can predict what you will get. Be prepared for the worst and be thrilled when you get more than expected.

We were there in mid-May two years ago. The weather was very good, and the snow was melting in the mountains, creating spectacular waterfalls. We counted over fifty different waterfalls in a thirty minute span while sitting on our balcony. The locals told us that later in the summer that this is not the case, as the melt diminishes as the summer goes on.The only time it was very cold was on a boat trip trip to a glacier, for which we had not worn our heavier jackets, but for the most part we had shirt sleeve weather. If I were to go again, I would choose May.

Gerry

Late July/early August was perfect. Temperatures in the upper 60s, plus the super early sunrise and super late sunset were a fun treat. Seriously... The sun didn't set until at least 11:30pm!

Geirangerfjord also had some amazing waterfalls due to the melt. I would do that time of year again in a heartbeat.

Here´s another vote for May, especially when going mid to late May.

Mid May is the start to Experience the midnight sun. Midsummer of Course is mid June, but the start is Mid May and the end mid July.

As others have said, the weather is unpredictable and you can be lucky or unlucky either way.

Another vote for May.

We did the Norwegian Fjords 4 times in one year due to the fantastic deals that were happening at the time:)

May had the best scenery due to the snow on the mountains and the waterfalls were spectacular due to the melt as per Gerry ( Ship faced)

We also had the driest weather in the May. You take a chance with anytime , you cannot guarantee the weather.

I did a photo review/trip report of our cruise to the Fjords in May (2013 on Indy).... link in my signature (lots of photo's and info on weather, what to wear etc etc)

The scenery was breathtaking. As someone said earlier, May is the perfect time to see lots of spectacular waterfalls as this is when the snow caps are melting.

I'd go again around that time of the year again in a heartbeat!!

I did a photo review/trip report of our cruise to the Fjords in May (2013 on Indy).... link in my signature (lots of photo's and info on weather, what to wear etc etc)

The scenery was breathtaking. As someone said earlier, May is the perfect time to see lots of spectacular waterfalls as this is when the snow caps are melting.

I'd go again around that time of the year again in a heartbeat!!

Oh my. Your review is great. The only Fjords cruise looks to be leaving from Copenhagen and not going to Flam but Bergen instead. Even better I got JS 1100 on the Serenade which is the large corner aft for 2017.

I did see the one on Navigator leaving Southhampton going to Bergan, flam, Skjolden and Stavangar. Would that be going through the Fjords as well?

Edited by irishgal432

We just sailed Navigator from Southampton on May 30 and had an amazing time. We had drizzle and fog in Bergen:

26794423054_b984f10556.jpgDSC08124 by Sue, on Flickr

26822263763_38a8604bf5.jpgDSC08159 by Sue, on Flickr

And stunning weather in Olden, Alesund, and Stavanger.

26907451604_0a3ff728ac.jpgDSC08374 by Sue, on Flickr

26907449854_3c95ac335d.jpgDSC08394 by Sue, on Flickr

26907430174_2e9a11e250.jpgDSC08488 by Sue, on Flickr

27444309821_e1341aa3e2.jpgDSC08487 by Sue, on Flickr

The waterfalls were amazing!

My full photo album, including a few pre- and post-cruise days in England, is linked in my signature.

Edited by subtchr

We just sailed Navigator from Southampton on May 30 and had an amazing time. We had drizzle and fog in Bergen:

26794423054_b984f10556.jpgDSC08124 by Sue, on Flickr

26822263763_38a8604bf5.jpgDSC08159 by Sue, on Flickr

And stunning weather in Olden, Alesund, and Stavanger.

26907451604_0a3ff728ac.jpgDSC08374 by Sue, on Flickr

26907449854_3c95ac335d.jpgDSC08394 by Sue, on Flickr

26907430174_2e9a11e250.jpgDSC08488 by Sue, on Flickr

27444309821_e1341aa3e2.jpgDSC08487 by Sue, on Flickr

The waterfalls were amazing!

My full photo album, including a few pre- and post-cruise days in England, is linked in my signature.

I looked at your pictures and saw it looks like you did a boat tour. What boat tour did you do and in what city?

I looked at your pictures and saw it looks like you did a boat tour. What boat tour did you do and in what city?

We did two boat tours, both of which I would highly recommend.

The first was the Lake Loen excursion through Royal at Olden. We usually go with independent excursions, but Royal seems to have pretty much a lock on Olden, and it was extremely enjoyable, with breathtaking scenery...and waffles! :)

The second was at Stavanger, the Lysefjord Cruise, which we booked ahead of time through the Roden tour company directly. Royal offers essentially the same trip, at more than twice the cost. Our first choice at Stavanger would have been a journey to the top of Pulpit Rock, but we were not in port long enough for Royal to offer the excursion, and we decided not to risk making all the connections required to do it on our own. Several people on the roll call did, but they admitted it was very stressful! Even the tour we took had a bit of stress, because we were scheduled to dock at 9:30, and the tour departed at 10:00. It was a very short walk to get to where the tour departed, but we were not permitted to disembark the ship until almost 10:00. We made it, but just barely. Those who had not pre-purchased their tickets did not make it.

Oh my. Your review is great. The only Fjords cruise looks to be leaving from Copenhagen and not going to Flam but Bergen instead. Even better I got JS 1100 on the Serenade which is the large corner aft for 2017.

I did see the one on Navigator leaving Southhampton going to Bergan, flam, Skjolden and Stavangar. Would that be going through the Fjords as well?

Hi there....glad you liked the review :)

Yeah, Navigator would definitely be going through the Fjord if visiting Flam and Skjolden. Skjolden is actually at the end of the largest natural, navigatable Fjord in the world! :eek:

Having posted that I went in May a couple of years ago and found the weather to be great we have just booked to go in August 2017 (with Celebrity) as they only sail in May and August. We are going with family and as we are going to India late April it had to be the August sailing. I am sure it will be wonderful and we will be able to compare the weather between the two.