Eclipsing Northern Europe by cruise : Basic black , and Baltic blues

scubacruiserx2

We have done the Chef's table on several cruises now, on differing lines. I feel that X does it better in the style of service (showmanship and private room), the quality and I prefer the décor and the extras that go with the meal. We have been given 3 of the X cook books now, but have given the last two to some friends that we had met on the particular cruise as they are so large and heavy.

We also have enjoyed the Chef's Table on several cruise lines , and we do prefer the privacy of Celebrity and Carnival version . Princess had a nice , private room in their steakhouse which we would have preferred , but Princess has a lot invested in their Lumiere curtains of light concept . Here's their video :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzrDugNB2MQ

The Lady of Shalott by John William Waterhouse is one of the must sees in the Tate .

IMG_3032_zpsjvay1xe0.jpg

It's based on the poem by ALFRED LORD TENNYSON . Here it's set to music and drama by Loreena McKennitt :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRIHzr3Pxhc

After entering the large 1840 room , there were a number of painting which drew our attention .

James Tissot - The Ball on Shipboard

Now , this is evening chic !

IMG_3038-001_zps7tsvb9tp.jpg

William Holman Hunt - PRB - The Awakening Conscience

IMG_3044-001_zpsn5jgt2j4.jpg

William Logsdail - St. Martin's-in-the-Fields

IMG_3057_zps6hgebe45.jpg

Edward Matthew Ward - The South Sea Bubble

IMG_3047_zpslann6znu.jpg

This last painting is from a friend of ours who was influenced by the PRB when he lived in England . It's of his wife Joan . Can you see the influence ?

83d3d206-ef86-4c05-a3f7-34d944d170d6_zpsi2txnjgb.jpg

We also have enjoyed the Chef's Table on several cruise lines , and we do prefer the privacy of Celebrity and Carnival version . Princess had a nice , private room in their steakhouse which we would have preferred , but Princess has a lot invested in their Lumiere curtains of light concept . Here's their video :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzrDugNB2MQ

Yes, it would be great if the other ships could get something like this or at least a bit more privacy. That said , they are all awesome in terms of the food, despite my feelings that X is slightly ahead, this may be down to the mood and atmosphere of the dinner as that helps the taste buds.:D

Yes, it would be great if the other ships could get something like this or at least a bit more privacy. That said , they are all awesome in terms of the food, despite my feelings that X is slightly ahead, this may be down to the mood and atmosphere of the dinner as that helps the taste buds.:D

The different Chef's Tables remind us of our three kids , all different , but we love them all ! :) :D

There are a few sculptures at the Tate

IMG_3053_zps3putyfii.jpg

King Cophetua and the Beggar Maid

IMG_3061_zpstuqiaqjs.jpg

It was nice that the king gave some new clothes to replace her threadbare ones .

The raising of Jairus' daughter ( from the dead )

IMG_3063_zpsy2zokqwk.jpg

Punch or May Day

IMG_3067_zpspwcqcebv.jpg

Where is King Cophetua when you need him ?

IMG_3070_zpskid2j53a.jpg

The Wolfson Gallery

IMG_3071_zpsuzti73fp.jpg

I have been unable to read your review since 09.09.16, as we have been cruising ourselves.

Here is a link to my review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2406441

Welcome back , we hope that you had a great cruise and thank you for the review !

I did a quick read and had a question or two . Based on this cruise , did you prefer Azamara or Celebrity ? We have only done East bound TA's in the Spring as we had to cancel our West bound last year . Have you done a East bound TA ? If so , how do the two compare ?

Edited by scubacruiserx2

We have only done East bound TA's in the Spring as we had to cancel our West bound last year . Have you done a East bound TA ? If so , how do the two compare ?

I'll be able to tell you in a few weeks how the east & west bound TA's differ as we fly to Barcelona on 10/23 for the TA back to Ft Lauderdale. I suspect we will like the 25 hour days more than the 23 hour ones!!! :)

I'll be able to tell you in a few weeks how the east & west bound TA's differ as we fly to Barcelona on 10/23 for the TA back to Ft Lauderdale. I suspect we will like the 25 hour days more than the 23 hour ones!!! :)

Hopefully it will be calm like most of this season so far . We have Cozumel scheduled for the same time , so it won't be long now Gracie !! :) :D

I did a quick read and had a question or two . Based on this cruise , did you prefer Azamara or Celebrity ? We have only done East bound TA's in the Spring as we had to cancel our West bound last year . Have you done a East bound TA ? If so , how do the two compare ?

I honestly cannot say which we would choose for our next cruise.

Both have their advantages, e.g. Celebrity have more activities for sea days, I missed the iSea lectures and the shops only have limited merchandise. We are not Trivia people, I found that 4/5 sessions per day was overload.

Azamara have the advantage that everything is included except Specality Restaurants and Excursions.

We booked almost 2 years ago when the ship was first chartered ( the charter is this present cruise, so it had to be taken to Montreal) and so for us we had a bargain - balcony for inside price. I'm not sure we would normally be able to pay Azamara's normal prices. At no time were we hassled to upgrade our beverage package, we didn't have one, as drinks are included.

We have not done an eastern TA, so I cannot compare. Certain it is, that the constant changing of the clocks doesn't do my body clock any good, I'm constantly waking up an hour early.

Edited by upwarduk

I honestly cannot say which we would choose for our next cruise.

Both have their advantages, e.g. Celebrity have more activities for sea days, I missed the iSea lectures and the shops only have limited merchandise. We are not Trivia people, I found that 4/5 sessions per day was overload.

Azamara have the advantage that everything is included except Specality Restaurants and Excursions.

We booked almost 2 years ago when the ship was first chartered ( the charter is this present cruise, so it had to be taken to Montreal) and so for us we had a bargain - balcony for inside price. I'm not sure we would normally be able to pay Azamara's normal prices. At no time were we hassled to upgrade our beverage package, we didn't have one, as drinks are included.

We have not done an eastern TA, so I cannot compare. Certain it is, that the constant changing of the clocks doesn't do my body clock any good, I'm constantly waking up an hour early.

Thank you for the insight . We kinda forgot about the time changes even though we had a few in the Baltic cruise . We are still looking at some long cruises , but still with HAL and Princess holding the inside track and Celebrity right behind . And we do love a bargain when we can find one . :) :D

Giovanna Baccelli

IMG_3087_zpst8tu1lyi.jpg

Unlike the Hermitage the gallery was fairly empty

IMG_3089_zpsyhxkth05.jpg

The Bradshaw Family

0839fc2f-aa72-427e-802c-19a0c9f08be2_zpsaxf44jnl.jpg

The Archers

525ecab6-707d-4d4e-8ac4-496ff6b2c62d_zpsitigh2g6.jpg

Mrs Yates as Mandane in ' The Orphan of China '

IMG_3097_zpsbuv4ib3l.jpg

This one brought a smile to my face

Master Crewe as Henry the VIII

4dc08535-ef73-4dad-a7c5-60e08bc4a926_zpsus8aztom.jpg

I can certainly say that I prefer west bound with the 25 hour days but then when going over the pacific, at some point you lose a whole day. As for the Atlantic, I haven't gone east bound.:D

I can certainly say that I prefer west bound with the 25 hour days but then when going over the pacific, at some point you lose a whole day. As for the Atlantic, I haven't gone east bound.:D

We look forward to having the same experience next year on a HAL TransPac which we recently booked . Thanks for sharing it Mic ! :) :D