Is there a laundry special on pride of America ?

horseymike

Most likely, not, I'm afraid. We did POA in 2009 and I went back to our review then. "no laundry specials offered then" was what I wrote - 3rd. section in this post (here)

Perhaps, things have changed since ... maybe Dexddd "cruising" here on CC can help as they just recently did the POA right out of dry dock. Try posting on the Hawaii forum to see if they have other suggestions ... aside from hauling a bag full of soiled laundry ashore to do, doing them by the pieces are pricey on the ship. Being a tropical sailing ... Woolite packets & laundry at the bathroom sink do work, hang them in the shower with the retractable string & let it air-dry.

Post-cruise, we stayed at a Waikiki huge 2 BR hotel-condo suite with full wash & dry facility in the closet and did 3 small loads worth, even came with complimentary detergent, that was nice.

Most likely, not, I'm afraid. We did POA in 2009 and I went back to our review then. "no laundry specials offered then" was what I wrote - 3rd. section in this post (here)

Perhaps, things have changed since ... maybe Dexddd "cruising" here on CC can help as they just recently did the POA right out of dry dock. Try posting on the Hawaii forum to see if they have other suggestions ... aside from hauling a bag full of soiled laundry ashore to do, doing them by the pieces are pricey on the ship. Being a tropical sailing ... Woolite packets & laundry at the bathroom sink do work, hang them in the shower with the retractable string & let it air-dry.

Post-cruise, we stayed at a Waikiki huge 2 BR hotel-condo suite with full wash & dry facility in the closet and did 3 small loads worth, even came with complimentary detergent, that was nice.

Can't answer for sure. Our trip had some things that were not the normal to begin with. They did have the Platinum free laundry and the certificate says any day and it will be returned within 24-48 hours. I don't recall how quick ours was returned. I didn't see any of the other "fill the bag" specials on our trip and I scanned the Dailies as well.

Someone from our rollcall was complaining about the napkins being wrinkled in the restaurants and someone else mentioned they saw a laundry service truck at one of the ports and there was speculation that the laundry room was not up to full service on our trip. I know when we went on the BTS tour they were improvising what we could see because not all areas were quite back to normal. We didn't see the laundry on the tour. We were in one area were I'd only guess we were close to the laundry and the tour guide got the "don't come this way signal" from someone farther down the hallway so we went left into the environmental area.

All that being said, we never had any shortage of towels in the room and our clothes were returned within that window given but it is possible the laundry area was not fully operational on our trip.

How much are the non-specials, like a buck a pound?

It's either a free bag for Platinum latitudes or fill the bag for somewhere between $20 and $25. My husband has become quite skilled at packing a bag. He can get an amazing amount of clothes in his bag.

Non-specials are itemized by the pieces, prices varied - most probably would find it quite pricey like those charged by hotels & resorts.

Here are the prices last month on the Breakway, should be applicable fleetwide - our bag stuffed full was done free, if counted by items with the checklist - about $120 worth of "wet" laundry ... returned neatly folded.

The Press only 50% special usually offered on day 1/embarkation only.

Most non-locals arrive/stay in Oahu pre-cruise and I would strongly recommend doing all the laundry before boarding, almost all of the hotels we've stayed in Waikiki previously have on-site (inexpensive) guest laundry facilities ... whether one is packing light or otherwise, key is clean & fresh underwear and socks. "Ex-Officio" is the brand we preferred for quick & fast drying, well worth the higher prices and ready to wear in the morning.

d6d2c620d030489b504489e16380d5a6.jpg

Thanks, Dexddd - I thought, perhaps things might've changed a bit and then, maybe not as it's mostly an American crew & unlike crews on other ships ... don't think they work 10 hours a day, 7 days a week as we're told during our BTS tour in the laundry area on the BA (and, it was impressive)

Edited by mking8288

Not really any specials, but face it.. most people on the Hawaii cruise are wearing summer clothing.. lots of shorts/tanks/flip flops, so you can take enough for every day PLUS extras. We were in Hawaii 10 day incl. the cruise and I didn't go through all of my clothes that I took. 2 years ago, I remember them giving us something on Tuesday and said we had to have it out by the next day and we would get it all back Thursday *night*. My guess it would be cheaper to buy extra clothes at the ABC store than to pay NCL to wash your laundry....

Edited by CactusFlower527