Noordam 6/19-6/26/16

1ANGELCAT

Just a brief recap of this past week. I have never been onboard before when the ship was in Code Red. Unfortunately, it lasted all week. No self service in the Lido, no salt/pepper/sugar/creamer on table in dining areas. Bread was served to you by the piece, no basket on table. In bar areas no menus sitting out and no peanuts on tables.

The peanuts were given upon request only.

The Library was closed and the Spa area was limited access-no Thermal Suite or Hydropool.

No compensation was offered for the inconvenience of affected services.

On a brighter side, weather was good. Juneau was warm and sunny as was Haines and Skagway. Ketchikan was cool and cloudy but no rain. Glacier Bay was cool and windy but turned sunny as we were exiting the bay.

Again, I ask for prayers for family and friends of the passenger who passed away early Sunday morning enroute to Vancouver. A sad ending to a difficult week.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Sorry to hear about the passenger who passed away on your cruise. Prayers for his family.

Glad you had a good cruise.

We have been on many HAL ships with the Code Red. Know what you are talking about with library closed, not basket of rolls and butter, etc.

On our Westerdam cruise this past spring, the bar staff made individual little containers of peanuts and gold fish and appetizers and we were told not to share. Yes -- we had a bit of a code red -- only enforced in the bars and lounges.

On those ships where the entire ship was in code red, we never got any compensation.

Sad, though I suspect not as uncommon as we might hope.

On my HAL Alaska cruise the age demographics were skewed towards the upper end.

Based on this site at the CDC, annual deaths per 100,000 people is 1802 people ages 65-74 and 4648 people ages 75-84. That's 6486 deaths per year per 100000 people ages 65 to 84. So as a back of the envelope approximation, in a group of 2000 passengers (if all were evenly distributed in that age demographic), that's an average of 2.5 people per week.

That said, the real number of deaths on cruise ships will be lower of course. There's a degree of self-selection that those in really poor heath are much less likely to go on a cruise, and some of those deaths will be for reasons other than illness or accident.

Also these are just approximates for purposes of illustration, not anything to hang your hat on.

Edited by gpb11

the effect that passing had on the passenger's family, but given my choice, I'd far rather pass on on a cruise ship than in a nursing home. Hopefully some solace in the fact that they lived life fully until the end.

Please do not take this post as morbid, or disrespectful or in bad taste. It is just a comment.

Many years ago, my sister in law worked one summer for the Mt. Roberts tram in Juneau. She told us "don't ever cruise Holland. Every time they come into port, an ambulance meets them and someone is carried off in a black bag."

Obviously an exaggeration, but she saw it often enough for it to make an impact.

And like someone else said, odds are, in any given week, with that demographic, etc., etc., etc.

Oh, and we were on Noordam the week before this incident so we obviously didn't listen to her.

Trout

Many years ago (when I was young and so was my waiter, don't remember which ship, not HAL) he told me it was not unusual for a passenger to pass away on a cruise. He said something to the effect that too many older passengers eat and drink too much, which they aren't used to.

G TOV

Just a brief recap of this past week. I have never been onboard before when the ship was in Code Red. Unfortunately, it lasted all week. No self service in the Lido, no salt/pepper/sugar/creamer on table in dining areas. Bread was served to you by the piece, no basket on table. In bar areas no menus sitting out and no peanuts on tables.

The peanuts were given upon request only.

The Library was closed and the Spa area was limited access-no Thermal Suite or Hydropool.

No compensation was offered for the inconvenience of affected services.

On a brighter side, weather was good. Juneau was warm and sunny as was Haines and Skagway. Ketchikan was cool and cloudy but no rain. Glacier Bay was cool and windy but turned sunny as we were exiting the bay.

Again, I ask for prayers for family and friends of the passenger who passed away early Sunday morning enroute to Vancouver. A sad ending to a difficult week.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I was on for two weeks. We went to Code RED because about 25 people who boarded at Seward had the Noro Virus and Captain Pieter Bos was trying to contain the virus. He did a fine job.