Norwegian Pearl—Alaska—June 19-26

What can you or anyone tell me about Footwear at Mendenhall glacier? Just regular shoes or boots required?

An athletic shoe should be fine, but having a waterproof shoe may make your day more pleasant if it is rainy (which Juneau often seems to be.)

It rained the whole day we were in Juneau but yet my feet stayed dry as we hiked to Mendenhall Glacier/Nugget Falls, Shrine of St. Therese and other trails in the area. Likewise it is smart to have a waterPROOF jacket as opposed to water resistant.

Here are the waterproof shoes I had...Merrell Azura.

When my family went this past July, we took the Nugget Falls trail which is a gravel trail to the base of Nugget Falls and fairly close to the glacier.

We were ok with just wearing tennis/running shoes. I think there may be only one trail that they consider challenging but we did not have the time for that.

What can you or anyone tell me about Footwear at Mendenhall glacier? Just regular shoes or boots required?

I was just there 2 weeks ago off the Jewel.

It was rainy, wet & the paths + area immediately surrounding the base of the fall was flooded out.

So we couldn't get to the actual fall base.

But all the paved or wood plank trails around the glacier & fall were all traversable with regular tennis shoe at the very least.

We even did the hardier east glacier loop trail (1.5 miles all the way around) under those conditions with out any problems for my 80 year old Dad.

Yes, a water resistant goretex shoe might make you "feel" better but you are NOT anywhere near impassable conditions or ankle high flooded walk ways.

If anything you'd want something with a few more nubs on the bottom sole for traction but not bulky like a hiker.

My preference is a trail runner & mine was this 7 years old shoe.

Otherwise, a tennis shoe with good traction will get you safely & comfortably through!

Edited by OV8

It was rainy, wet & the paths + area immediately surrounding the base of the fall was flooded out.

But all the paved or wood plank trails around the glacier & fall were all traversable with regular tennis shoe at the very least.

We even did the hardier east glacier loop trail (1.5 miles all the way around) under those conditions with out any problems for my 80 year old Dad.

Yes, a water resistant goretex shoe might make you "feel" better but you are NOT anywhere near impassable conditions or ankle high flooded walk ways.

If anything you'd want something with a few more nubs on the bottom sole for traction but not bulky like a hiker.

Otherwise, a tennis shoe with good traction will get you safely & comfortably through!

Thx...great response.

Good info, thx. Additionally, I wear shorts from April-Nov...will that work in 2 weeks when we're there? Layers, hoodies, other outer wear needed?

Good info, thx. Additionally, I wear shorts from April-Nov...will that work in 2 weeks when we're there? Layers, hoodies, other outer wear needed?

I actually did a port by port 15 year weather analysis using weatherunderground's historical numbers for each day that we would be in port & it was pretty much accurate for late July.

I am not sure what the temps would be like in late August but when we were there it felt like early spring late winter in the mid-atlantics i.e. high 50's low 60's.

Ketchikan - history = possible rain; actual = no rain

Juneau - history= certain rain; actual = rain

Skagway - history = certain rain; actual = rain

Victoria - history = sunny; actual = sunny

Seattle - history = sunny; actual = sunny

Pardon me, as I don't know if these are the same ports that your trip will call upon.

That said, I tend to wear shorts from April - October but still invested in this pant for all 3 AK ports. They were perfect for our AK hikes (no glacier hopping for us), are versatile & not too heavy for my hot sweaty self.

And you could actually use it in the dining rooms & not feel out of place.

Victoria & Seattle are for sure shorts weather. After you come back from AK, Victoria & Seattle felt downright hot.

Edited by OV8

I actually did a port by port 15 year weather analysis using weatherunderground's historical numbers for each day that we would be in port & it was pretty much accurate for late July.

I am not sure what the temps would be like in late August but when we were there it felt like early spring late winter in the mid-atlantics i.e. high 50's low 60's.

Ketchikan - history = possible rain; actual = no rain

Juneau - history= certain rain; actual = rain

Skagway - history = certain rain; actual = rain

Victoria - history = sunny; actual = sunny

Seattle - history = sunny; actual = sunny

Pardon me, as I don't know if these are the same ports that your trip will call upon.

That said, I tend to wear shorts from April - October but still invested in this pant for all 3 AK ports. They were perfect for our AK hikes (no glacier hopping for us), are versatile & not too heavy for my hot sweaty self.

And you could actually use it in the dining rooms & not feel out of place.

Victoria & Seattle are for sure shorts weather. After you come back from AK, Victoria & Seattle felt downright hot.

Another excellent reply thanks. Those are our ports exactly and I've done the weather layout as well without the actuals. I think we'll be fine.

P.S. the pants look a little heavy for me, but I have a pair similar and they are packed already.

Edited by WeBeCruisers?

Layers, hoodies, other outer wear needed?

If you are strictly asking about what to use only for light hiking, walking around the port & even for kayaking then you would be comfortable with:

1 pair of hiking pant in my prior post,

1 fleece pullover or sweatshirt,

1 long sleeve tee or base layer, and one rain jacket

and a tennis/trail shoe.

If you are strictly asking about what to use only for light hiking, walking around the port & even for kayaking then you would be comfortable with:

1 pair of hiking pant in my prior post,

1 fleece pullover or sweatshirt,

1 long sleeve tee or base layer, and one rain jacket

and a tennis/trail shoe.

Got it. Thx. The 50 to 60 degree temps won't be much different than they are in Ohio so we'll be just fine. Thx for all your input.

Edited by WeBeCruisers?

Another excellent reply thanks. Those are our ports exactly and I've done the weather layout as well without the actuals. I think we'll be fine.

P.S. the pants look a little heavy for me, but I have a pair similar and they are packed already.

I'll vouch for the pants - as I am a sweat hog/claustrophobe - but they made of light waterprrof stretchy material & if you are hot, you can roll the bottoms up & button them up to get some air circulation around your ankle.

That's what I did in Ketchikan, and no one dared call me capri boy LOL!

I'll vouch for the pants - as I am a sweat hog/claustrophobe - but they made of light waterprrof stretchy material & if you are hot, you can roll the bottoms up & button them up to get some air circulation around your ankle.

That's what I did in Ketchikan, and no one dared call me capri boy LOL!

[emoji1]

• 6 months later...
Hi GCM

What time were you able to get off the ship in Skagway? I want to take a excursion with a pick up time of 7:30 It's the Chilkoot Train and Bus one . On Sept 28th they don't have the afternoon ones.

TIA

Unfortunately I don't remember as we had the noon trip. If you booked directly thru the company it should be fine, they know how long it takes, and they pick you up literally steps from the ship. You could always give them a call.

Edited by gottacruisemore

Unfortunately I don't remember as we had the noon trip. If you booked directly thru the company it should be fine, they know how long it takes, and they pick you literally step from the ship. You could always give them a call.

Thanks so much for the quick reply.

I will go with it as you said it is through the company :D:D

• 4 months later...
I can't see any of the pictures:(. It says enable third party hosting across where the pics should be.nWhat does that mean.

It means the OP has them hosted on a free imaging site and they have reached their cap of views that are not directly on the site. Perhaps OP can send a link to the album in photobucket so they can be viewed directly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...
I can't see any of the pictures:(. It says enable third party hosting across where the pics should be.nWhat does that mean.

it means photobucket decided to start charging for 3rd party hosting and disabled the photos and i don't know how or if i can put them back.

Save

Save