Norwegian Pearl—Alaska—June 19-26

Thanks to both of your for sharing! I will be on the Pearl on the July 24 sailing--getting very excited! It will be my first cruise (since a blah 3 day Greek Isles cruise as a teen as part of a Europe Tour).

I have some more questions: sharing a mid-ship mini-suite with my two sons (ages 12 and 15). You both commented on rooms being small--is there a little more room to pass around the sofa bed when extended in a mini? Or does the mini only afford more length not width to the room? I am a little worried about us being in such a tight space--we are used to spreading out when we travel. My brother and his wife and my dad will have cabins nearby, so we can spread out during the day at least (or if someone wants to go to sleep early).

I have heard the Pearl can be a loud ship--a lot of activity and noise (a lot of it fun). For those who want/need some quiet time, where are the best quiet areas (other than our own balconies)?

My younger son also has allergies--peanuts and tree nuts. He eats at restaurants and has eaten at some buffets--we always ask about specific items (and would want to avoid pancakes, crepes, etc, or anything made in the same pans as items with nuts). Did you notice a lot of nuts/nut items on the buffet? There will be times when we need to grab a quick(er) meal--I hope this will be possible. I know if I ASK NCL, they will just give a blanket statement that the buffet isn't safe--of course they have to do the CYA--I just hope to get a little more data so I can decide for myself.

Second poster--did your 15-year-old try the teen club? If so, what did he think of it?

Any tips/tricks for getting off the ship quickly in Juneau? I am guessing everyone wants off at the same time with the afternoon arrival time in port.

Favorite spots for glacier viewing?

How early did you get to the shows to get seating?

Was the "good" coffee machine on 11 still there?

Where did you eat lunch on embarkation day, and would you recommend it?

Thanks much--sorry for so many questions!

The sofa bed in the mini suite will open sideways (perpendicular to your bed) so will allow better traffic flow.

I really did not notice the ship to be loud. The card room was often full when I walked by. The library is nice also.

For the nuts, stay clear of bread except baguettes and hamburger or hot dog buns. I noticed pesto on a few menu items and saw a few pistachio desserts and macadamia nut cookies. We had such great help from the sous chef and asst maitre'd so be sure to ask for them on day one and they will find you after that.

Our son registered for the teen club and received an activity list. The only thing he was interested in was a video game tournament and movie night, but he enjoyed both of them.

If you have an NCL excursion in Juneau you will use a different exit. If you have a private tour be prepared to wait. They tell you that you cannot wait on the stairs but you can wait in the hallway just around the corner but many people do not respect that line. We did not get cleared until around 2:20 and made it off around 2:40 even though we had been waiting there almost an hour.

We viewed the glaciers from our cabin, deck 7 and the Great Outdoors. Port side sees them first.

I suggest 15-30 minutes prior to show for the 7:15 but don't know about the later one. Comedy and Legends filled up sooner than the juggler.

The good coffee machine is on 12 near the back of the Garden Cafe as you head out to the Great Outdoors. DH says it is somewhat espresso-like from the pressure of the brew - BUT it was broken about half of our cruise :(

For embarkation lunch the options are buffet, Summer Palace and I think O'Sheehans. I suggest the Summer Palace which opens at 12:00 so you can discuss allergies. DS had a meatball sandwich (good) and fries (note that fries are better in O'Sheehans and even the buffet). I had chicken nachos that were ok and can't remember about DH.

T

Not sure what that letter means and apparently I've been out of the loop. We are scheduled for an NCL excursion at Ketchican from 6:30 - 10:30am. Does that mean we get off when docked rather than tendering? My dh picked this crazy excursion and I'm wondering who the heck feels up to a crab feast at 9 in the morning, lol.....

I think the dock will be repaired for your trip. As of now the Pearl gets a berth on alternate weeks, and the other weeks offloads at berth 1 from 6:00-8:45 then moves out to anchor and passengers tender back. Keep an eye of the schedules posted at CLAALAKSA for updates.

T

Thanks for all the great information! I will be sailing on the Pearl on July 10. Just a couple of questions:

1. You said you did a taxi tour in Ketchikan. Was this something you booked in advance or can you just book one at the pier?
  2. I believe you said you checked your luggage at the pier. In another review, someone said they had to walk it through security themselves and lift it on the conveyor belts. I would want to have to do the latter! Is there a particular place one needs to be to check it through?

Thanks!

We booked ahead through Ketchikan Taxi Cab Tours. It was $74 per hour and in a mini van, so better value for a larger group.

When we dropped our bags, we just wheeled them up through a very short line and handed them off.

T

I went across the street to grab us some breakfast as we were not in a hurry to line up and wait at the pier.

0619160812_zpspg0ukrjp.jpg

81bf46f8-df58-4036-be4f-05ecea90320e_zpsyufnm62c.jpg

The food was tasty and the line was long. Luckily I was there before the line. I found it interesting that they didn't automatically box food to go, as they only had 4 tables outside, no place to even stand inside, and at least 50+ people waiting.

Embarkation:

We Ubered to the port around noon, gave our luggage to a porter and did a quick shuffle through security and check in. Walked right on the ship and met up with our family at the Java Cafe, which would become our groups bar of choice and where Christine, the BEST bartender was located. Went to Summer Palace for lunch and cabins were ready at 1 p.m. when we finished.

Cabin:

Aft balcony room 9674. Very happy with location and would choose it again. Small space, but completely tolerable. There were 2 hooks on the wall by the bathroom and 4 hooks and 2 towel bars on the inside of the bathroom door. One outlet by the balcony table and one by the table near the closet. Small couch which I believe is a pull out bed.

Shows:

Only did Duo Balskatt, which was fantastic.

Spa:

We got spa passes, mom also got a deep tissue that she enjoyed.

Staff:

I found everyone to be really nice and friendly. I had a couple of mishaps 1) They painted the railings the morning we were sailing into Juneau and it was super windy. Paint ended up on my sweater, which they cleaned. 2) I used the public restroom on Deck 7 and ended up with bleach stains on my pants.

Food:

We basically did Indigo and Summer Palace for all our dinner meals and Summer Palace for breakfast. I went to the buffet for breakfast and lunch once. We went to La Cucina and it was ok. O'Sheehans was our go to lunch spot, although I learned to always order from the menu and not do their little mini buffet.

Misc:

I prepaid gratuities and the 100 minute internet plan. I had the drink package and liked it. They tax drinks on embarkation day til about 7 p.m. when they hit international waters (?).

Ports:

Juneau—private whale watching with Rum Runners, 4 hours Captain Choice. Six of us on a boat with the capt and first mate...wonderful. Saw quite a 2 humpback whales with their calves, sea lions, fed some eagles, and got great photos of Mendenhall Glacier. Disembarkation was pretty chaotic. NCL excursions get priority and exit forward everyone else mid ship.

Skagway—booked Chilkoot Bus and Rail tour independently (cheaper). Did the noon tour and took the train up and bus down. There are companies that you book ashore last minute. Going up the left side of the train gets the view. However our car was pretty empty and I sat on the right, where I saw plenty of waterfalls and a bear walking right next to the track.

Ketchikan—Walked around the shops for a bit then asked a taxi driver for a tour. We started at Creek Street where he dropped me at one end then waited for me at the other. Then just drove around while he talked about the town and economy.

Victoria—Decided last minute to book the Orca tour through NCL since that was the only thing I hadn’t seen this trip.

Disembarkation:

Did the easy walk off and was at the airport around 9 a.m.

I'll post photos tomorrow

Hi. Thanks so much! We sail 8/26. What is Cirque Style? I could not find this under the entertainment section advertised. We loved Cirque Dreams and Jungle Fantasy on the Epic and Breakaway. Is it dinner theater like that or like Cirque Asia that was on the POA? That was awesome too!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hi. Thanks so much! We sail 8/26. What is Cirque Style? I could not find this under the entertainment section advertised. We loved Cirque Dreams and Jungle Fantasy on the Epic and Breakaway. Is it dinner theater like that or like Cirque Asia that was on the POA? That was awesome too!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I believe someone meant "style" as in "type of," Duo Balskatt is a cirque type of show.

Thanks for all the answers to my previous questions :)

One more- do you recommend we take both summer and winter clothes? I've been on 6 Caribbean cruises and never have taken a jacket so it will be kind of odd... does it get pretty cold in the Glacier Bay area? Assuming the other ports should be okay/warm? I guess it's better to go prepared than be sorry? :rolleyes:

One more- do you recommend we take both summer and winter clothes? I've been on 6 Caribbean cruises and never have taken a jacket so it will be kind of odd... does it get pretty cold in the Glacier Bay area? Assuming the other ports should be okay/warm? I guess it's better to go prepared than be sorry? :rolleyes:

Ous teenager wore shorts a couple of times, but I wore pants every day. It is usually windy outside on the ship and can get chilly inside near doors. If you have a helicopter excursion to a glacier, dogsledding or whale watch boat it could be quite chilly.

I suggest a two or three shorts, two or three jeans, short sleeve shirt for each day, a couple of sweatshirts or fleece, a good raincoat and gloves. Also two pairs of sneakers in case one gets wet.

T

We had a group of 13 and no one wore shorts. In the end it depends on the weather and what you're comfortable with. And I guess how much you want to pack. The warmest it got was low 70s so you COULD wear shorts, but you would also be perfectly comfortable in jeans. Glacier Bay was cool, and on a breeze you felt the cold come off the ice, i wore a fleece pullover with a long sleeve t-shirt underneath and i was fine.

Edited by gottacruisemore