Not so DREAMy

storelady

I am so disappointed to learn that the Dream does not use tablecloths in the MDRs. What's next? Paper plates and Red Solo cups?

One of the things I look forward to on cruises is going to dinner each night in an upscale setting. There isn't anything like that available in the town where I live. The ambiance of a formal dining room is so enjoyable. This change will definitely be unappreciated on my Dream cruise coming up next year.

Shame on Carnival for eliminating one more of the "niceties" of cruising.

Maybe if you have an elegant table to start with. Carnival is upscale setting? Many restaurants send waitstaff to sing Happy Birthday. Go to Chuckie Cheese, they even have bears that play banjos. After you taste the food, you will forget the tablecloths. My prime rib had so much fat, Richard Simmons would have had a stroke.

Seems like you are misinformed given that you are apparently under the impression that the Dream never has tablecloths in the MDR anymore. There will still be tablecloths on elegant night.

And since the other nights are casual anyway, having no tablecloths on those nights fits in with the casual atmosphere.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by bakersdozen12

I am so disappointed to learn that the Dream does not use tablecloths in the MDRs. What's next? Paper plates and Red Solo cups?

One of the things I look forward to on cruises is going to dinner each night in an upscale setting. There isn't anything like that available in the town where I live. The ambiance of a formal dining room is so enjoyable. This change will definitely be unappreciated on my Dream cruise coming up next year.

Does will not interfere with my cruise.

Yes, it was a nicety. But you will see in many of the responses that you are not allowed to have that preference. You will eventually be told to cruise another line if you don't like it.

It is a sad state of affairs on this board.

Edited by natty bumppo

Tableclothes are nice ... but what about the food? Was the food good? Is the tablecloth so important? Does it make the food taste better? I think an elegant table can be just as elegant without a while cloth.

"Does it make the food taste better?"

The OP prefers tablecloths. And why is it that the OP can't have an opinion?

Why is not having a tablecloth so important that you have to be snarky? Does NOT having a tablecloth make the food taste better?

And what's a while cloth?

Tablecloths actually serve a purpose other than creating a nice table setting...they absorb sound. In a space as huge as the main dining room, eliminating tablecloths increases the decibel level of the room.

Every plate and piece of silverware hits the table just a tad 'louder'. All that talking? the noise is now bouncing off a hard surface instead of being absorbed into a softer surface.

Does it decrease the laundry? Sure. Make it easier for the waitstaff to change over tables and prep for the next day? Absolutely. And there are cruisers who don't care about the tablecloths. That's fine too...but this cruiser is one who like them.

To me its just one of the traditional aspects of main-dining-room cruising that means something to me. I would miss it...and as such Carnival will move even further down the list of choices for me.

You will eventually be told to cruise another line if you don't like it.

It is a sad state of affairs on this board.

Doing something about it (change lines), is far more effective than moaning about it on a message board.

Your entire dining experience comes down to a tablecloth? A cruise is not meant to fulfill all of your life needs. If you want ambiance in your life, perhaps find it elsewhere?

Honestly, I don't see the big deal. The food tastes the same. I don't cruise for "ambiance."

I'm not aware of any restaurants that use table cloths anymore.

Ruth's Chris? No

Daniels Broiler? No

El Gaucho? No

Metropolitan Grill? No

Sorry, none to be found

Doing something about it (change lines), is far more effective than moaning about it on a message board.

Simple personal observation by the OP. You classify it as moaning. The moaning is coming from you, distorting her message.

And the ubiquitous "cruise elsewhere" reflects such insight.

And how soon will it be until you make some clever comment about ubiquitous?

Edited by natty bumppo

Your entire dining experience comes down to a tablecloth? A cruise is not meant to fulfill all of your life needs. If you want ambiance in your life, perhaps find it elsewhere?

Honestly, I don't see the big deal. The food tastes the same. I don't cruise for "ambiance."

OP posts a respectful disappointment about table clothes. What made that a target for your disdain and sarcasm? How pathetic. Why did you feel it necessary to attack the person who posts such a mild opinion.

Oh, I know. How dare someone have an opinion other than yours?

Vile.

I'm not aware of any restaurants that use table cloths anymore.

Ruth's Chris? No

Daniels Broiler? No

El Gaucho? No

Metropolitan Grill? No

Sorry, none to be found

A statistical sample of four. Sounds valid to me.

The MDR on a ship is NOT a restaurant. It is a dining room, like seating at a wedding. Do a survey of tablecloths at weddings.

Personally, I don't care that much about tablecloths. My objection is the uncalled for responses. OP has an opinion that is at least as valid as yours. Is that so hard to handle?

We were just on the Dream back in April and we just had one complaint...the crowds on the Lido for the buffet. That was probably a timing problem so if we get back onboard (I'd like to) we'll do a better job with when we go there. Otherwise, we had a fantastic cruise.

We didn't miss the tablecloths on the nights other than the "Elegant" nights and frankly, because people tend to wear shorts on the Cruise Casual nights (like me), I didn't feel the cloths would have fit in.

Food was fantastic and the service was great. No complaints and no one drowned with all the table condensation people claim. There are many things that would turn me away from cruising onboard the Dream but not having tablecloths on five of the nights sure isn't one of them. As my country cousins say, "It ain't all that!":D

A statistical sample of four. Sounds valid to me.

The MDR on a ship is NOT a restaurant. It is a dining room, like seating at a wedding. Do a survey of tablecloths at weddings.

Personally, I don't care that much about tablecloths. My objection is the uncalled for responses. OP has an opinion that is at least as valid as yours. Is that so hard to handle?

Those are all high-end restaurants so his point is valid. I can't remember the last time I ate in a restaurant with tablecloths. Weddings are a different matter...I've been to several this year and don't remember anyone wearing shorts. Weddings are elegant so the tables have them as does Carnival on their elegant nights. On the other nights people tend to dress down so they dress down the tables.

Simple personal observation by the OP. You classify it as moaning. The moaning is coming from you, distorting her message.

No distortion. The OP mentions paper plates and red Solo cups. Say it with me, That's Moaning.