There's been talk here whether Istanbul will be dropped by "X". Breaking News.

A Sixth?

Istanbul is already cancelled as a port stop. Our Constellation cruise in April which was supposed to have had an overnight in Istanbul was changed to Kusadasi, Rhodes visits and an overnight in Athens. Not sure how they could change a start or finish of a cruise in Istanbul.

I wonder if the USA had a mass killing similar to what has just happened in the USA in Miami or Fort Lauderdale would Americans be calling for these two ports to be closed for cruise ships as terrorist risks.

One has to be careful when calling for bans and boycotts. The possible threat of something happening means the terrorists are winning.

That sermon said I wouldn't be going to Istanbul at the moment

A ban or boycott is normally called because a nation like Russia invades Ukraine or like North Korea violating many UN resolutions.

Cancellations due to terrorist threats are hopefully based on some intelligence. If intelligence indicates that Miami is such a target, then common sense would be take appropriate action.

Istanbul is a wonderful city and I dearly hate what has happened there, but this terror act goes to the heart of a threat to tourist travelers.

Friends of ours on the 9/29/17 Reflection sailing were notified last week that Malta was being substituted for Kusadasi (Ephesus).

Celebrity is taking the threat of terrorism in Turkey very seriously to change ports so far ahead of the saildate. And today's massacre is an awful validation of their caution.

Sadly, there are not many places on our beautiful earth that are 100% safe- be it from terrorism, disease (Zika/Ebola) or natural disasters.

Friends of ours on the 9/29/17 Reflection sailing were notified last week that Malta was being substituted for Kusadasi (Ephesus).

Celebrity is taking the threat of terrorism in Turkey very seriously to change ports so far ahead of the saildate. And today's massacre is an awful validation of their caution.

Sadly, there are not many places on our beautiful earth that are 100% safe- be it from terrorism, disease (Zika/Ebola) or natural disasters.

I like X, however many cruise lines took the preventive measure early this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, terrorists can attack any number of places.

I think places that would be less of a threat are East Asia (China, Japan, Indonesia, Singapore, Vietnam); South America; Alaska, Hawaii; Iceland, Norway.

So glad we toured Ephesus, it was truly amazing. Istanbul was still on my list but now is removed. I'm so sorry for the innocent travelers killed, injured, traumatized by this. There are no guarantees but my heart aches for these people and the sadness of the situation.

Unless Celebrity Cruises cancels Istanbul we will still fly there for our cruise in September. Personally I hope they don't cancel. Terrorists attacks happen everywhere, and I for one am not going to allow them to alter my lifestyle.

I am also rethinking booking the Constellation departing from Istanbul. I know that my safety cannot be "guaranteed" in any port/airport, but I feel safer visiting airports that are not being targeted by terrorists for geopolitical reasons, and unfortunately beautiful Istanbul cannot be considered safe. Sadly, there have been 7 deadly terrorist attacks in Turkey in the past six months.

Sorry but they are winning. I won't go to Europe anymore. And there going to keep winning unless the Turks do something about it.

Weak opinion and I absolutely disagree that "they are winning". :(

Will not be cancelling any of future European cruises.

Weak opinion and I absolutely disagree that "they are winning". :(

Will not be cancelling any of future European cruises.

I agree. This can happen anywhere, anytime and to be honest I expect security now to be even tighter than ever in Istanbul. How sad it would be if everyone around the world decided many years ago it was too unsafe to visit New York City.

Also Turkey is trying to do something about this, that is exactly why this happened. They are fighting the enemy and that is why they have been attacked. This is exactly what these terror groups want to scare everyone and ruin cities/countries that depend on tourism.

Unless Celebrity Cruises cancels Istanbul we will still fly there for our cruise in September. Personally I hope they don't cancel. Terrorists attacks happen everywhere, and I for one am not going to allow them to alter my lifestyle.

I to support this view but if threat is upgraded insurances won't insure us to be there and this will probably be what influences celebrity's decision

I agree. This can happen anywhere, anytime and to be honest I expect security now to be even tighter than ever in Istanbul. How sad it would be if everyone around the world decided many years ago it was too unsafe to visit New York City.

Also Turkey is trying to do something about this, that is exactly why this happened. They are fighting the enemy and that is why they have been attacked. This is exactly what these terror groups want to scare everyone and ruin cities/countries that depend on tourism.

Totally agree.

Then why have they not yet changed the itinerary departing from Istanbul on September 7th and visiting Kusadasi?

Then why have they not yet changed the itinerary departing from Istanbul on September 7th and visiting Kusadasi?

A lot of passengers already prebook their accommodation and flights and Celebrity doesn't want to hold responsibility the expenses of the passengers.

I would fly in the day they open the airport, not I'm not crazy, my lady thinks differently on both terrorism and travel, but she listens to too much media. We are on a cruse out of Venice and flying into Athens and out from Venice, are we in a possible warning issue/area, YES, but we will not think of canceling

While I appreciate and respect everyone's right to their opinion, I want to try and bring it back to the original topic of this thread.

My friends and I are currently booked on the 16 July sailing of the Equinox out of Istanbul and have already been told by Delta that our flight there is cancelled and they are refunding our fare.

I contacted Celebrity to see if they were aware of this and had planned everything and they stated that they were monitoring the situation and will let us know if anything changes.

That being said, I am past cancelling without penalty (they stated that it would be 75%) and am not sure what to do with the airfare.

Does anyone think that Celebrity will in fact move the embarkation port or should I try booking airfare on another non-US based carrier?

While I appreciate and respect everyone's right to their opinion, I want to try and bring it back to the original topic of this thread.

My friends and I are currently booked on the 16 July sailing of the Equinox out of Istanbul and have already been told by Delta that our flight there is cancelled and they are refunding our fare.

I contacted Celebrity to see if they were aware of this and had planned everything and they stated that they were monitoring the situation and will let us know if anything changes.

That being said, I am past cancelling without penalty (they stated that it would be 75%) and am not sure what to do with the airfare.

Does anyone think that Celebrity will in fact move the embarkation port or should I try booking airfare on another non-US based carrier?

They cancelled from JFK starting in May citing weak demand.

Jonny..I would call Celebrity ASAP and tell them your Delta has cancelled your flights in and out of Istanbul. I would also go on line immediately and find out who else is flying into Istanbul and see what happens if you try to book a flight for July 15. Then I would take that information and call Celebrity to see if they can help you book. I really don't see them cancelling the entire cruise but I do see them changing ports to Rome or Athens. Good luck.

Jonny..I would call Celebrity ASAP and tell them your Delta has cancelled your flights in and out of Istanbul. I would also go on line immediately and find out who else is flying into Istanbul and see what happens if you try to book a flight for July 15. Then I would take that information and call Celebrity to see if they can help you book. I really don't see them cancelling the entire cruise but I do see them changing ports to Rome or Athens. Good luck.

Thanks Hydrokitty, I really appreciate the advice!!! :-)

Are you sure you are on a Delta metal flight? As someone else said Delta cancelled flights to Istanbul over a month ago. The only flights impacted right now showing on their website are flights between today and July 5, at this point. You need to find out if this is a codeshare flight and contact the actual carrier.

We're booked to sail out of Istanbul in November and we're flying nonstop from Montreal to Istanbul. Maybe connecting to go via Montreal might be an option for you.

Celebrity have already double-booked extra port space in Athens to cover possible Istanbul cancellations. For instance, the Nov 14 Constellation cruise from Istanbul is also listed on the Piraeus port schedule for that day.

This may be a simple precaution for last minute emergencies but I suspect they may have been planning for incidents such as this and will soon drop Istanbul completely.