There's been talk here whether Istanbul will be dropped by "X". Breaking News.

A Sixth?

some cruises have already changed to start and end in Athens instead- not sure how far into summer this continues- but I would check with celebrity before you book your flights

The Turkish Airlines flight from Atlanta to Istanbul tonight is still on.

I don't believe any US flag airline flies into Istanbul.

Good advice. Rhodes is my favorite Greek island and I am looking forward to going back there on my Holy Land cruise in October.

I found the people very warm and cordial. I have not been since the 80s but I always remember my trips there fondly.

I am not sure if this helps. If anyone is flying with Turkish Airlines and their flight inbound or flight out is in-between now and July 5th, the airline will refund your ticket or waive any changes. This is on any flight to or connecting through Istanbul.

http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-us/corporate/announcements/announcement/ticket-changes-refunds-and-cancelations-after-istanbul-incidents

Rhodes was one of our favorite islands when we did Greece and Turkey too. We loved Istanbul and Ephesus and the people were just wonderful. I heard the same thing Banjo posted: that only US airlines to and from Istanbul were cancelled at this time. Another poster was concerned about his Delta flight being cancelled....I agree Turkish Air is very nice as well. However, I don't think he should book anything until he gets confirm and could be an option for him. But IMHO I would not change my reservation until I heard from Celebrity with a final decision on where they will depart from and return to. It's true the port is not the same as the airport, but many passengers will disembark at the port and go to the airport...which may be a consideration as to what they'll do. It's been said that the safest day to fly is the day after a an accident....I think that applies to security as well....the safest day to fly in and out of Istanbul will be the first days after the airport is fully up and operational. But everyone has to make their own decision about going or not going....it's a personal decision and none of us have the right to agree or disagree with what they decide....we can only comment on what WE would do in the same situation.

Confirmed X will no longer serve Istanbul for the rest of the season.

If you booked a Fly Cruise, you'll be rebooked.

If you booked Cruise Only, X will not offer any support.

This is misleading.

Celebrity is currently putting together a policy to assist with change fees for guests booked with independent air so "X will not offer any support" is not a true representation.

The attack happened only around 24 hours ago. I think it's only fair to give them a couple of days to get things in order here.

FWIW they already have most of the Equinox or Constellation IST start/finish itineraries reconstructed in the system now showing embark/debark in Athens, so they're working through this quickly.

Just got off the phone with my travel agent who said that X is offering $250/pp for change fees.

Just got off the phone with Delta and they are saying that the fare difference alone is going to be more than than $400/pp. Apparently X is also saying that we are also still bound by the Cancel Policy so if we don't go we lose everything. Guess this teaches us to get travel insurance....pretty bummed as I dont know how we are going to afford the difference in fare :(

Just got off the phone with my travel agent who said that X is offering $250/pp for change fees.

Just got off the phone with Delta and they are saying that the fare difference alone is going to be more than than $400/pp. Apparently X is also saying that we are also still bound by the Cancel Policy so if we don't go we lose everything. Guess this teaches us to get travel insurance....pretty bummed as I dont know how we are going to afford the difference in fare :(

Have you checked your credit card? Some of them will assist you with this sort of thing (caveat: you have to have used that cc to pay).

Just talked to captains club folks at Celebrity and they told me that all Istanbul stops are cancelled. Requested that later cruises like ours from Venice to Istanbul on Oct 10 give them a couple of days to get the earlier cruises to or from that port taken care of. I understand the logic of that request.

I would just like to offer a suggestion to some of the people who are concerned with the additional cost of airfare. You might have some options such as ask to leave the ship in Kusadasi and train/fly from there to Istanbul or fly from Athens back to Istanbul. Both of those options might be a lot cheaper. Something you might want to check out.

Also I hope as more people get information on what Celebrity plans to refund or credit that it is posted here. I do not want to try calling them right now because I was able to change my flights without too much cost and I know they are busy with many other bigger issues. But I would be interested to get a refund for one of my flights which is going to probably be completely useless.

Spotted this in a USA Today report. Wonder if the same applies to flights AFTER the cruise?

"Celebrity said passengers on the sailings who booked flights to Istanbul through the line will be rebooked on flights to Piraeus at no cost. Passengers who have flights to Istanbul that were not booked by the line will be reimbursed for any airline change fees up to $250."

Have you checked your credit card? Some of them will assist you with this sort of thing (caveat: you have to have used that cc to pay).

That's the first thing you should do...but did you also check alternative airlines that might be cheaper....like Turkish Air; Air Canada and Iceland Air...all fly out of NY and probably Boston...You might get Turkish Air non-stop to Istanbul, but Air Canada will require a change in Toronto or Montreal and Iceland Air in Reykjavik...I have flown on all three and they're very comfortable, especially Air Canada and I would have no qualms about flying any of them. You might even get a good deal on Turkish Air if people are cancelling flights.

We took a cruise in 2014 which terminated in Istanbul. I was concerned about the itineray being changed because a previous cruise itinerary in the early 2000's was changed due to a terrorist attack in Turkey. I was able to buy airline insurance that enabled me to cancel/change for any reason. Luckily I didn't have to use the insurance. This info won't help those of you that just had Istanbul cancelled but it might help those of you booking future cruises.

Celebrity dropped istanbul months ago. Cancelled the port on my april 16 cruise and they first to moved after this incident.

They dropped the overnights and day visits due to construction of the port. They left cruises that started and ended in Istanbul which are the ones now being impacted. They did not cancel all stops in Istanbul.

They dropped the overnights and day visits due to construction of the port. They left cruises that started and ended in Istanbul which are the ones now being impacted. They did not cancel all stops in Istanbul.

Until today. So sad:(

Im booked to fly in to Istanbul on Thursday July 14th.. Im keeping that plan, still want to have a bit of time in Istanbul.. Plus i have two nights paid in a Hotel in Istanbul that are non refundable.. Athens doesnt compare to Istanbul Many flights from Istanbul to Athens on Sat July 16th.. We are not leaving Athens till 1030PM.. So i can fly in anytime on Sat the 16th.. But when i spoke with X I was told i wouldnt qualify for a 250 reimbursement cause i was adding a flight, and not changing a flight.. Ridiculous answer. and i hope they rethink their response!!

when i spoke with X I was told i wouldnt qualify for a 250 reimbursement cause i was adding a flight, and not changing a flight.. Ridiculous answer. and i hope they rethink their response!!

I hope so to. I haven't contacted them yet, but you'd think they'd rather pay $100 for me to add a one-way than pay $200 for a change fee.

Edited by jbarn3