There's been talk here whether Istanbul will be dropped by "X". Breaking News.

A Sixth?

Celebrity have already double-booked extra port space in Athens to cover possible Istanbul cancellations. For instance, the Nov 14 Constellation cruise from Istanbul is also listed on the Piraeus port schedule for that day.

This may be a simple precaution for last minute emergencies but I suspect they may have been planning for incidents such as this and will soon drop Istanbul completely.

I just checked our sailing July 9 and it does also show the ship back in Athens July 16 even though we are supposed to be ending in Istanbul. Hopefully we hear something soon.

Watching the news, the Turks did a great job (as well as can be hope for at least) and kept the terrorists out of the terminal for the most part. The airport isn't likely going to be closed too long at all....

Unlike Brussels it appears damage is minimal even though lives were lost

About the only "good" news I have gleaned from the attack

I'd go. :cool:

Thanks Hydrokitty, I really appreciate the advice!!! :-)

Your very welcome. As we're both on the east coast, we do have one advantage and that is you can fly from Boston and I can fly from JFK, which gives us a lot of options. I found the post about Air Canada very interesting. We've flown Air Canada several times and find them to be very good and usually cheaper than everyone else. Down side is your flight will originate in the US and fly to Montreal or Toronto and then to Europe or Asia....but them's the rules.

Also check out Lufthansa (my fav) and Alitalia.

Edited by Hydrokitty

I just checked our sailing July 9 and it does also show the ship back in Athens July 16 even though we are supposed to be ending in Istanbul. Hopefully we hear something soon.

Yep. I think they did this for all cruises starting or ending in Istanbul. I'm sure they will do everything possible to avoid affecting you at this late stage but the situation is still unclear.

This is the repetitive occurrence terrorists attacked on the same city for the past few months.

This show the weakness of the security and safety there.

Yes if this happen multiple times on one particular port in the USA.There should consider closing the port temporally for security and safety reason.:rolleyes:

In all honesty I have never been in a city that has more security than Istanbul. We spent 3 nights there in 2013. Our hotel required our car to be searched underneath and the trunk before we were allowed to enter the property. Our luggage had to go through security before we could enter the building. There has not been a particular attack against the port itself. It has been various places in Istanbul. It's a MASSIVE city. The airport itself has more security than any airport in the States. You have to go through a metal detector and have your luggage screened before anyone can enter any part of the airport. In fact you go through security during connecting flights!!! Please do not judge this beautiful city. The security there is amazing. I am now faced with the fact that we will be there a month from today via Princess cruise line. (searching cruise critic for info on Istanbul and ended up here.) My heart is broken. I love this city. I actually have friends who live there. In fact they are in the States this month for which I am thankful they are safe. I am now concerned. I wasn't until this point in time. I may go with plan b which is a non-tourist destination in the city if we go to the port.

While I appreciate and respect everyone's right to their opinion, I want to try and bring it back to the original topic of this thread.

My friends and I are currently booked on the 16 July sailing of the Equinox out of Istanbul and have already been told by Delta that our flight there is cancelled and they are refunding our fare.

I contacted Celebrity to see if they were aware of this and had planned everything and they stated that they were monitoring the situation and will let us know if anything changes.

That being said, I am past cancelling without penalty (they stated that it would be 75%) and am not sure what to do with the airfare.

Does anyone think that Celebrity will in fact move the embarkation port or should I try booking airfare on another non-US based carrier?

I agree with the others and call Celebrity. Maybe you could book through them and insure the flight? I might cost you extra but in the long run some peace and insurance might be worth it on this trip. I do hope you get to go. It is amazing!! (Turkish Airlines BTW is a fabulous airline. I've flown with them in the past and the service is great.) NO matter who you book your flight through I would get travel insurance.

They did this already? I was just looking online and our cruise is still going from IST. Can you post a screenshot of your cruise schedule if you're able?:cool:

Celebrity have already double-booked extra port space in Athens to cover possible Istanbul cancellations. For instance, the Nov 14 Constellation cruise from Istanbul is also listed on the Piraeus port schedule for that day.

This may be a simple precaution for last minute emergencies but I suspect they may have been planning for incidents such as this and will soon drop Istanbul completely.

We're on this cruise before and cruise after and fully expect the itinerary for both to change. Including ports like Israel, Turkey and Jordan is risky. They've already eliminated 2 days and overnights in Istanbul. I've rarely seen the starting and ending ports changing this late but it could happen. Both cruises (starting and ending on Nov 14th) now have stops in Istanbul (second one was added when they eliminated the overnight in Istanbul) so it will be interesting to see what they do. The need to get through the suez to Asia so I expect they'll try and keep Abu Dhabi ending on the 14th. Mystery cruising is such an adventure!

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Celebrity website now has this banner alert:

Atatürk Airport in Istanbul, Turkey - Advisory

Celebrity Cruises is aware of the bombing at Istanbul Atatürk Airport in Istanbul, Turkey. We are monitoring the situation and considering modifications to upcoming sailings. As always, our decisions are driven by concern for the safety and wellbeing of our guests and crew members.

Celebrity Cruises is aware of the bombing at Istanbul Atatürk Airport in Istanbul, Turkey. We are monitoring the situation and considering modifications to upcoming sailings. As always, our decisions are driven by concern for the safety and wellbeing of our guests and crew members.

Celebrity are the most conservative. So if anything, they would be the first to change ports rather than the others.

If you go to the Athens port website you can download the schedule. All this means is that celebrity probably had this as a back up for a while. I do not think this was done today.

Yes, they did this scheduling some time ago. Starting to look like good planning on their part.

It is moments like these that reinforce the adage that as soon as you make an overseas travel booking book your travel insurance at the same time. At least then if you are caught up in a mire similar to this you can get your travel costs refunded.

It is also not prudent to check the small print regarding one's travel insurance policy as many insurance companies are now issuing their own travel advisories about which countries they will cover for insurance. Our insurance company for example will cover Turkey but not Ankara, Istanbul and the Syrian border. It is also timely to check out one's host country's travel advisories as these statements by one's govt could also have a bearing on travel insurance coverage

I agree, terrorists can attack any number of places.

I think places that would be less of a threat are East Asia (China, Japan, Indonesia, Singapore, Vietnam); South America; Alaska, Hawaii; Iceland, Norway.

I wouldn't include Indonesia on that list

Yes, they did this scheduling some time ago. Starting to look like good planning on their part.

I was bummed when it happened to me, however X couldn't beat the solo rate I received on a competitor. I would like to go to Istanbul one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is moments like these that reinforce the adage that as soon as you make an overseas travel booking book your travel insurance at the same time. At least then if you are caught up in a mire similar to this you can get your travel costs refunded.

It is also not prudent to check the small print regarding one's travel insurance policy as many insurance companies are now issuing their own travel advisories about which countries they will cover for insurance. Our insurance company for example will cover Turkey but not Ankara, Istanbul and the Syrian border. It is also timely to check out one's host country's travel advisories as these statements by one's govt could also have a bearing on travel insurance coverage

UK insurance policies do not cover terror attacks (get out clauses also include act of nature - (reminds me of the film the man who sued god), also our polices become void if a do not travel is issued by the gov.

The latest news is that there are 36 dead and over 150 injured, some with life threatening injuries. The footage shown here in the UK is tremendously upsetting. Although not the largest airport in Europe, it is the busiest. It is so sad but really Celebrity need to get their act together and quickly. I've been to Istanbul with Celebrity and security was virtually non existent in the port area. I have friends on the Equinox sailing on the 9th July so no doubt she will get to know as soon as a decision has been made.

I am on 16 July sailing out of IST. This is the next time Equinox is due there.

I have spoken with X this morning and have been told no decisions have been made and currently everything still stands.

As pointed out above, no UK travel insurance provider offers cover for terrorism so Celebrity are looking to determine the impact of keeping the ship in IST or moving it to ATH on Cruise Only or FlyCruise. I was told a decision will be made within a few days.

We will continue to travel to Orlando, Brussels, Istanbul, Jerusalem, Barcelona, New York, London and Oslo..

Life happens!

I have a layover in Brussels in December, still going. As far as X , they do need to make a decision and not leave all their clients holding their breath.

Had a wonderful Turkish, Server on the Equinox last year, my thoughts are with them and his family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am on 16 July sailing out of IST. This is the next time Equinox is due there.

I have spoken with X this morning and have been told no decisions have been made and currently everything still stands.

As pointed out above, no UK travel insurance provider offers cover for terrorism so Celebrity are looking to determine the impact of keeping the ship in IST or moving it to ATH on Cruise Only or FlyCruise. I was told a decision will be made within a few days.

If they move the port then package holiday regulations mean 100% refund if that is what the passenger wants for UK/EU bookings as a cruise(even cruise only) is a package holiday.

X would not be obliged to compensate just refund that means any DIY could be out of pocket.

The logistics for X passenger with cruise line air may be an issue as that is a lot of flight changes to manage.

I suspect X will do it's best to get the pax to the ships rather than cancel.

If you go to the Athens port website you can download the schedule. All this means is that celebrity probably had this as a back up for a while. I do not think this was done today.

Sorry but I can't find this. I find lots of advertisements and other information. I will be flying out of Istanbul on September 7th and wondered if this cruise has Piraeus down as an alternative on their site.

I am due to pay the balance today!