Istanbul travel

rjscott

Becki, sorry to hijack your thread, but I have a question. Did you and friends take a water taxi to or from the Venice cruise port? If so, where did you meet the taxi - right near the ship, or did you have to walk with luggage somewhere? Also, if you caught one to or from the Venice airport, is there much of a walk to get to or from the water taxi location?

Hope your summer trip goes well!

Hi, Roothy!

Yes, we did take a water taxi to our hotel from the ship's luggage claim.. Our hotel had its own jetty, so that was most convenient. It wasn't too much of a walk from where we claimed the luggage to where we got the water taxi. We spent 3 nts in Venice, and our hotel arranged for the water taxi back to the airport. From where we departed the water taxi to the airport was about a 20 min. walk. It was an easy walk, on a paved walkway and under an awning for the most part . As you depart the water taxis, there will be "porters" with carts who will offer to cart your luggage for you for the princely sum of 10 euros per bag! Unless you have some disability that would make that price worthwhile, pass on that.

Going to and from via water taxi was such a treat, but if we hadn't been with another couple,

we probably would not have done it. We will be back in Venice to board the Viking Sea in Oct, with no extra days this time, so will just get ourselves to the ship on our own. ;)

Becki

Where does Viking dock in Venice? San Basilio would be so convenient, if their ships can squeeze there. At Marittima we were able to take a free shuttle bus to eliminate some of the walking from our ship to the water taxi area, but there was still quite a lot of walking. At SB the taxis would be right there.

Jazz,

I don' t think Viking always docks in the same location. When we disembarked from the maiden voyage (the Istanbul to Venice segment), the Viking Star docked at, I believe, Maritima, but others have reported that has not always been the case.

I am interested in the best way to get to the ship from the airport. Haven't done that before.

Becki

I am interested in the best way to get to the ship from the airport. Haven't done that before.

Becki

We're going by water taxi (http://www.alilaguna.it) but the other way round.

For you, From the airport to the cruise terminal takes around 110 mins and departs airport every half hour - from between 7.15am & 5.30pm daily.

Use the Blue Line and cost is €15 p/p on the day. Can also buy online for €14

Nice way to get there :) if you're not in a hurry

A bus would be around €8 (40 mins); a land taxi around €35 (30 mins)

Edited by Fitzall

We're going by water taxi (http://www.alilaguna.it) but the other way round.

For you, From the airport to the cruise terminal takes around 110 mins and departs airport every half hour - from between 7.15am & 5.30pm daily.

Use the Blue Line and cost is €15 p/p on the day. Can also buy online for €14

Nice way to get there :) if you're not in a hurry

A bus would be around €8 (40 mins); a land taxi around €35 (30 mins)

Is there a place for luggage on all these conveyances? Extra charge for luggage ?

Becki

Is there a place for luggage on all these conveyances? Extra charge for luggage ?

Becki

Hi Becki

Last time we used the water taxis we had a suitcase & carry-on each (like an aeroplane). I can remember people having more luggage but not sure it they paid for it. The website may show if additional charges apply

Fitzall,

I am familiar with the water taxi and charges for luggage on those. My girlfriend ended up with one more suitcase on the way home than when she came. :rolleyes:

I was wondering about the places for and charges for luggage on the alliguna, bus and/or taxi from the airport to the cruise terminal.

Thx!

Becki

I was wondering about the places for and charges for luggage on the alliguna, bus and/or taxi from the airport to the cruise terminal.

Thx!

Becki

Hi Becki

I can only speak for alilaguna ... Last time we just held on to our suitcases / hand luggage. Extra suitcases are €3 each. The water taxi wasn't overcrowded. They're different to the ACTV water taxis that ply the canals of Venice which are a bit smaller.

Michael

Hi Becki, and thanks for the info on the water taxi. People are often asking about it.

As for Venice, just make sure you understand the difference between the public ACTV vaporettos, the yellow and white Alilaguna boats, and the private water taxis - and be aware that Alilaguna and ACTV vaporettos are two separate companies, with different tickets. See alilaguna.it for more info.

You can also get to the port by taxi, or by ACTV or ATVO airport buses, but then you have to deal with a short walk with luggage to the People Mover thingy and take that. My opinion is that a land taxi is easy and fast, the airport bus/People Mover is quick and affordable but may involve more walking, and that Alilaguna is affordable and scenic. It IS, however, a long ride, with perhaps more walking involved. We ruled out the water taxi due to cost, plus I wanted to get onto the island quickly, and the bus/vap combo to our hotel was best for that. (We stayed near your hotel.)

The trip from the airport on Alilaguna takes a good while. Check the schedule on alilaguna.it. They take your luggage, so that's easy. I guess, though, that you'd then have to walk a short distance to the ship, which I'm guessing would be similar to what you described for the water taxi. The walk TO Ali from the airport is apparently like the walk from the water taxi dock - kind of long, with pricey porter service. We loved Venice, but it sure does present some unique challenges. I think Ali one way from the airport last year was 15 euros, but check the website! If you need more info, let me know. I did a LOT of research on Venice last year.

Last fall Star ended up docking at San Basilio, after originally being assigned by the port to Maritima, but I think it's rare that that happens. There were TONS of ships in Venice that weekend, so maybe there was no room at Maritima, or maybe Viking wanted to dock there - I really don't know. I just know it threw me for a loop when the vaporetto I was on passed Star and she was NOT at Maritima! That night I called the ship (nice that Viking gives out the direct number!) to make sure she'd be there in the morning. Then I had to regroup, but it turned out to be OK.

I don't know if they always do it, but last year Viking provided a shuttle to St. Mark's, although a couple blocks past the cathedral, so that was a nice surprise, even though I didn't use it.

Have a great cruise in October. We just booked the "Midnight Sun" cruise in June 2017 - can't wait.

Oh, sorry, I see Fitzall covered some of the things I mentioned. Oh well, fireworks addled my brain - but too much info is better than too little, I guess!

Oh, and not sure if anyone helped you with charges for luggage on Ali. I don't think they charge, although you may have to lug it on the boat yourself. I took a bus and numerous vaporettos but never the Ali, water taxi or People Mover! So confusing...but fun.

Roothy,

Thanks for spelling it all out. We don't mind walking with our luggage, especially after that loooong flight. :D That was what I kept reminding our friends as we walked to the airport from the water taxi stand; soon we'd be sitting for hours.

We will be spending a few postcruise days in Barcelona, so I am excited about that. Found a nice hotel at a great rate. I am in such quandary about what to do in Rome. If you'very been there, especially on a cruise and so with limited time, I would appreciate your input. Let me know if you have any insights and I will start a new thread.

How exciting for your new cruise. Are you going with friends on this one?

Becki

We've been to Rome, but we just did typical tourist things, using public transportation. I just looked at my online photo site to remind myself where we went (other than Coliseum and Trevi Fountain) but we went before my switch to a digital camera, so there are no photos within easy reach.

I always check tomsportguides dot com before a cruise to see if he has covered any place I'm going. His guides are great for cruisers. He probably has an online guide for Rome.

We're going alone on the Midnight Sun cruise - some friends are afraid they wouldn't like cruising, and others just don't want to spend a lot of money or are afraid of this or that (terrorism, norovirus, etc.) No matter to me - easier to be able to do what I want. Luckily my husband is fine with that and likes what I plan. If you're ever in Lisbon overnight, let me know, as we both loved the hotel and tour I found there.

Just a minor clarification before I let this thread go back to Istanbul:

Becki, we only looked at the Coliseum from the outside and didn't take the tour. My husband's recollection is that it was too expensive, and the lines were too long, for our taste. We have no trouble skimming over the "must do's" in a port in favor of exploring a greater number of lesser attractions, usually on our own. Of course, you may be different.

I would make sure the cruise line is responsible for getting me back to the ship, which means either a ship's excursion or [if offered] the "on your own" transportation package. The last thing you want is a transit strike to strand you in Rome! Rome is big and crowded, and although the Metro and bus make a good network I found that transit times were always more than I had planned. So I would concentrate on one or two big things, and probably book a guided tour to avoid wasting time on lines. The last trip we took the Colosseum tour that includes the underground and third ring portions that are closed to the public -- that was fascinating, but skipping the long line for tickets and the big crowds on the main level was really worth it. You can also book a guided tour of the Vatican Museums that includes the Sistine chapel and gives you direct access to St. Peter's at the end. Both of these tours are long in themselves. You might be able to fit both in, but don't forget to allow plenty of time to get from and to the meeting place for the bus!

Good advice from Jazz. We took the train from Civi to Rome rather than taking a ship's or private excursion (Oceania's are expensive). It worked out fine, although we were careful enough to allow plenty of time to come back. Italian trains can go on strike, I've heard. If, however, someone wants to take the train to Rome, it CAN be done if the person's adventuresome but careful. If you want to go to the Vatican, there is a stop before Rome that's best for that. We got up early, got off at the Vatican stop first, spent a little time there and then spent a little time in center city Rome. Viking cruisers seem hesitant to do things on their own, and with those included tours, maybe there's no reason to do so. However, if you're independent like me, you may want to just plan a whole independent day on your own. But as Jazz touches on, you need to factor in a good amount of "what if" time! I don't think I kept a lot of info/maps from back then, but if you want more info, I might be able to find something. Just email me - howardruthalliejoey at gmail dot com.

Jazz, thx for chiming in. I am not usually so indecisive.

Rome is overwhelming me, trying to decide what to see and not leave feeling like I didn't see the "best" of the city. I am torn between the antiquity of the Colosseum and other similar sites or the Vatican museums and St Peter's Basilica.

I had considered a private tour, hopefully sharing with even another couple, but my roll call has been dead since March. :( My husband and I are not usually adverse to independent touring, but due to the distance of the port from the ship, this makes me uneasy, and is, I think, further making my decision so difficult.

Jazz and Roothy, you have both given me some good suggestions to help narrow down my choices, and I thank you so much. Roothy, you may be seeing an email from me down the road. :) Feel free to stop by the Summiteers board again. We enjoyed having you stop by and the one member is relaying his trip report from his Celebrity T/A European cruise.

Becki