Do you want Celebrity to move your Turkey port

bogofman

Do you want Celebrity to move Turkey port destinations  

199 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Celebrity to move Turkey port destinations

• Yes
    • No

We just received notification last week that our 10 night European cruise on June 9, 2017 had a change in itinerary. Kusadasi, Turkey was out. Malta was in. No explanation. I'm a little bummed, but I'll get over it. I would be ok with either port.

We just received notification last week that our 10 night European cruise on June 9, 2017 had a change in itinerary. Kusadasi, Turkey was out. Malta was in. No explanation. I'm a little bummed, but I'll get over it. I would be ok with either port.

Malta is amazing.

Just be aware everyone wanting a change, when other lines dropped Istanbul as an embarkation port the airfare changes were on the passenger if you hadn't booked cruise air

Our Turkey port was replaced by Cyprus for our July 2017 cruise on the Equinox. If it was due to safety issues, I'm ok. The Celebrity person I spoke with, though, said it was due to a lack of interest in the port. Think they were giving me the company line!

We were on Connie for the Ephesus port stop on June 7 and felt completely safe. I think I would still be willing to go to that port today. But not Istanbul, and certainly not a cruise that starts or ends in Istanbul. Move those turnarounds to Athens!

Celebrity website now has this banner alert:

Atatürk Airport in Istanbul, Turkey - Advisory

Celebrity Cruises is aware of the bombing at Istanbul Atatürk Airport in Istanbul, Turkey. We are monitoring the situation and considering modifications to upcoming sailings. As always, our decisions are driven by concern for the safety and wellbeing of our guests and crew members.

Really sad to read about the terror attacks in Istanbul airport. Istanbul and Kusadasi are 2 of our favorite ports and its so sad that cruisers/tourists will be robbed of an opportunity to experience them. I hate whats happening to my favorite continent, seems like Europe is really in trouble.

Like the Turkish PM said, terrorism is a global threat and needs to be fought collectively. Unfortunately each country is looking out for its own interests, which these terror groups use to their advantage.

Really sad news.

I would understand it if X dropped Istanbul. I see no need to drop Kusadasi.

Now - am I the only one who thinks a poll like this within 8 hours of the incident, while they're still taking the wounded to the hospital, without any words of sympathy whatsoever is totally insensitive? What if someone would have started a poll within hours after the Orlando attack whether European tour operators should drop all their package holidays to Florida? Perhaps a little bit of consideration, thought and perhaps prayer for the victims before the "me me me" and "my 5* vacation" kicks in?

Edited by florisdekort

Now - am I the only one who thinks a poll like this within 8 hours of the incident, while they're still taking the wounded to the hospital, without any words of sympathy whatsoever is totally insensitive? What if someone would have started a poll within hours after the Orlando attack whether European tour operators should drop all their package holidays to Florida? Perhaps a little bit of consideration, thought and perhaps prayer for the victims before the "me me me" and "my 5* vacation" kicks in?

THIS!

..and remember to buy a good travel insurance!

There's nothing to say that you have to get off the ship at a particular port if it looks a bit scary on shore. Others may have booked your cruise just to see one particular port and it's not fair to disadvantage them.

We didn't get off last time in Morocco (not for safety reasons, mind) but others aboard ventured ashore, thoroughly enjoyed it and came back free of injury.

Edited by Chunky2219
typo

I wonder how many who voted "yes" are past final payment and have Air booked to Istanbul. My guess, not many.

How can I make my booking if the embarkation port is uncertain.

Edited by iSailor

Good Morning -- Here's the Banner information from the Celebrity Website...

Celebrity Cruises

Travel Alert

Statement on cancelled calls to Istanbul, Turkey

Celebrity Cruises

June 29, 2016

Like all of you, Celebrity Cruises is aware of the bombing at Istanbul Atatürk Airport in Istanbul, Turkey. Our thoughts and prayers are with all those affected by the attack.

After reviewing all of the available information and discussions with our Global Security team in Miami, we have decided to cancel all of Celebrity Cruises’ upcoming turns in Istanbul, Turkey, and replace them with Athens (Piraeus), Greece.

This decision was made with the safety of our guests and crew at the forefront of our minds and in an abundance of caution. We realize this may have an impact on your travel plans and our team is working now on available alternative arrangements from this new port of embark and debarkation. We sincerely apologize for the impact on your cruise and will revert throughout the day with more details. We understand how important your vacation is and we did not take this decision lightly.

Thank you so much for your patience as we work through the details.

I feel terribly for the people who were affected by this repulsive bombing.

I am very sad for the people who died and were injured. Innocent people going about their normal lives should not have to deal with such a tragedy perpetrated by crazed zealots.

But I also feel very badly for the people who depend on tourism for their livelihood.

When our friends suggested that we go on a cruise that departed in Turkey, I admit that I was skeptical. Over time, I got quite excited about the idea of seeing Istanbul and Ephesus, and we even changed our plans to ensure that we were in Istanbul earlier to see more of the city.

I know that nowhere is safe these days, and we were willing to take the risk of going. So, while I understand Celebrity's decision, I am disappointed.

Edited by ceejay57

I would understand it if X dropped Istanbul. I see no need to drop Kusadasi.

What is really insensitive and just plain wrong is that the Ataturk airport was open 5 hours after the attack. So much for gathering of uncontaminated evidence. So much for respect for those who died, the injured and their families. Business as usual is the policy, lest they lose a few dollars by keeping it closed . Belgium kept the airport closed for two weeks.