Using QM2 for Relocation?

SmithAlien

I just wonder how many actually relocate transatlantic using QM2?

I lived and studied in London for 3 years (2004-2007); it was my first move away from home (in the US) on my own. Looking back, I wish I had considered using QE2 for relocating to London instead of taking the forgettable overnight flight transatlantic to London.

I have the London syndrome (which many of my fellow Americans who have once lived in London have--an insatiable desire to return to London), and one day want to return to London long-term.

If my career (as a doctor in craniofacial embryology research) allows me the opportunity to return to London (where my career started, btw), I am seriously considering using QM2 for my future relocation. I wouldn't be carrying furniture or anything else large or bulky, just my clothes and personal effects and some special things from my life (my artwork, violin, piano music, medical collection, etc, shipping some of it ahead).

I feel this would be a classy, and leisurely, way to return to London someday.

Have you ever made a transatlantic move using QM2 (or QE2)? What was it like?

I have not used a liner for relocation, but on my many crossings I have met people on board both the QE2 and the QM2 (as well as other non-Cunard ships) who have. They were very happy with the experience.

The QE2 was more convenient for a move. Before anyone accuses me of saying the QE2 was a better ship than the QM2 or that I am looking at it through "rose-coloured glasses" I will refer to only facts, not opinions.

The QE2 carried automobiles. It had a baggage room to which passengers could have access during the crossing. It also carried hold luggage, at least earlier in its career. I can recall getting "hold luggage" baggage tags on some of my crossings.

On the QM2 there is no hold or baggage room, but you can take as much luggage with you as will fit in your stateroom. The staterooms on the QM2 are generally much larger than those on the QE2 were, so that is an advantage. I have heard from others that if your stateroom is very crowded with your luggage and other possessions the cabin staff can find a place to store some of it. I hope someone with first-hand experience with this will clarify that issue.

We're relocating from Auckland to Edinburgh this month and arriving in style on the QM2 into Southampton. :D

It would be a lot easier if we didn't have flights to consider also, so to me, if it's just US to UK then I can't understand why anyone would prefer to fly :p

My wife and I relocated from Scotland back to the US back in the '70's on QE2. It was well worth the extra fare because of the amount of baggage space we were allowed back then. You could have 2-3 suitcases per person in the cabin, 2 steamer trunks per person in the baggage room, and 10 cubic yards of space in the cargo hold. Since our furnishings were coming by container at a date unknown, we brought everything we needed to start up a home with us. I don't believe the QM2 has that kind of accommodation these days.

I think it would be a marvelous way to deal with a move - all that hullabaloo moving out, and then again settling in - but with a nice long week of leisure in between.

Also, for pet owners, it could be the perfect way to avoid the hassles of flying those members of the family. That aspect would of course require significant advance planning, given the pace at which the kennels sell out. I'm in a field in which we generally know of a transfer at least nine months out, and going by QM2 is something my husband and I have talked about a lot (often, of course, while in the Golden Lion...).

Many years ago I remember somebody posting about arranging to relocate using the QM2.

One of those travelling would have been a very very very large dog. It was going to be too big for one of the kennels onboard and they were trying to see if there was any way round it...ie 2 kennels.

I cant remember now if they were able to resolve the dog problem, as to whether the crossing went ahead.

I can't answer your question yet, but will be able to in mid November. We are moving via QM2 from the UK to US. We chose this method mostly because of our pup, I couldn't imagine flying her.

The amount of luggage allowed was also great for us, although we are shipping some items as well.

It was also less expensive then a one way ticket, and provides us with a great (*hopefully*) holiday and refresh period between the crazy that will be both sides of the move.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This past week I met a lovely couple who were re-locating from Stuttgart to Alabama. They were traveling on the QM2 with their 10-year-old son. They stated that they did not even consider any other way to go! What class! I assume that their employer paid for the shipment of their household goods. They were having a great and relaxing time in transit.

On four out of our five crossings (QE2 & QM2) we've had people at our table who were using the ship as transport across the pond so it's obviously a more common occurence than I would have otherwise expected.

Colin.

My family has used the QM2 to voyage to Europe many times... minimum 8 weeks stay, currently on an 18 month stay in Scotland, and will return back state side at the end of this year. (our family's 8th QM2 crossing)

One can request the cabin steward to remove the small table and chair(s) from your stateroom which then allows one more room to store luggage. We have put 8 very large suitcases in our stateroom, and once crossed with a bicycle that I disassembled in the cabin and fit under one of the beds.

--

whyohwhyoh

on our last crossing we talked to several families with small children who were using QM2 as 'transportation' for a move ....

actually a substantial number of the folks we met used QM2 crossings for transportation more than a vacation .... some don't like to fly, some want to bring the dog and if you have the time the cost can be less than a business class flight ..... that's why we go .... we have the time and it is actually a lil less $$

that's our excuse anyway .... we fly over and cruise back but from different cities/countries. :rolleyes:

Edited by Capt_BJ