Can't bring soda on board anymore

lixogab

By the sounds of it you spend most of your cruise in the theatre. Once your monologue of dehydration is finished pop to the buffet or any dining area for free flowing hydration normally served with a smile.

There is also a tap fitted to every cabin, for now.

Most cruise lines let 2 on with no corkage fee. Dang this cruise line gets you every time u turn around.

FWIW NCL has charged a corkage fee on every bottle of wine since before I started cruising with them so it's not new. I don't remember for sure but I don't think they have raised it in that time frame, either (which may be the next change:eek:).

Not happy with this new policy even though I knew it was a matter of time before they did this. I drink a lot of water and my feet and ankles swell even more if I drink the ship's water. I really don't buy NCL's reason about smuggling booze. With so many people having the UBP how much has smuggling increased compared to prior years? Yet it's okay to bring wine because there is a corkage fee. Just another way for NCL to make more money or they would have lowered the price of bottled water onboard or included it with UBP.

By the sounds of it you spend most of your cruise in the theatre. Once your monologue of dehydration is finished pop to the buffet or any dining area for free flowing hydration normally served with a smile.

Swiss,

this makes a lot of sense...all people have to do is bring an empty container or such and fill it when the need arises..

good thinkin...

As far as other lines go, Carnival already has this policy in place, RCCL is expected to follow suit, its been an open question whether NCL or RCCL would go first.

Yes, part of the reason is financial, but not just for the reasons everyone is saying. Via checked or carryon backage it takes a lot of time to screen beverages. This costs money in terms of staff time, etc. Nowadays, you can buy reseal caps on Amazon for example, and its not uncommon for people to take 6 bottles out of the middle of a 24 pack, refill with vodka and reseal. Soda bottles are worse.

Now, there are a couple of ways this could have been done better. As carnival did, drop the price of bottled water to a price in line with shoreside. At $3.99 per and without the hassles of lugging it on board, that makes sense. And maybe allow 1 SEALED 12 pack of CANS (harder to tamper with) per person via carryon would be a fair compromise..

CCL does allow a 12 pack of cans per person.

I do not agree with your final statement though . I don't think Norwegian fares are bloated .

That's a fair assessment (no pun intended). To be more accurate, I should have said *some* of NCL's bloated fares.

As I've been saying in other threads, in my particular example, NCL was nearly $3300 higher than Princess for a 7 day Alaska our of Seattle in a PH suite. Ridiculous. Others have reported similar. But you're right, there are deals out there... mostly, I'd wager, on the saturated Miami/Caribbean market.

The tap water may be potable.

But to many, it is far from palatable.

In other words, just because something is available and is safe to drink doesn't mean that it tastes good.

One woman's opinion. Not planning to complain about the change, but one of the things that was good about our cruise on Royal last year was that the beverage package included specialty coffee and bottled water. The NCL water packages are crazy expensive.

Edited by jm485
Edited to make more sense

Yes, part of the reason is financial, but not just for the reasons everyone is saying. Via checked or carryon backage it takes a lot of time to screen beverages. This costs money in terms of staff time, etc. Nowadays, you can buy reseal caps on Amazon for example, and its not uncommon for people to take 6 bottles out of the middle of a 24 pack, refill with vodka and reseal. Soda bottles are worse.

Now, there are a couple of ways this could have been done better. As carnival did, drop the price of bottled water to a price in line with shoreside. At $3.99 per and without the hassles of lugging it on board, that makes sense. And maybe allow 1 SEALED 12 pack of CANS (harder to tamper with) per person via carryon would be a fair compromise..

This may look like an attempt to stop liquor smugglers, but they know this policy will never be able to stop it. Too many rum runners, shampoo bottles, etc... smugglers will smuggle. It will affect people who want product NCL doesn't offer and picky water drinkers like my family. I'd be happy not to have to pack water/soda if it were offered reasonably on board. Offering a better UBP or reasonable water prices would gain them the same benefit of this policy without getting their customer's mad.

I still have some optimism that this will be reversed... but only if we speak up loudly and frequently.

I urge everyone to write to (or e-mail) this address:

Vivian Ewart

Vice President, Passenger Services

7665 Corporate Center Dr.

Miami, FL 33126

(305) 436-4011

vewart@ncl.com

Remember, they reversed that awful decision about not being able to bring food back to your room. They might reverse this, too!

In fact, the two situations are quite similar, as both involved an attempt to stop you from enjoying food/beverages in your room, both were ill-advised money grabs, and both were trotted out under the laughable guise of "safety".

The more people that speak up, the more likely they are to reverse this policy.

I foresee too much backlash for this to stick.

The soda thing might be able to squeak through, but the water part is just going to send everyone over the deep end.

You can't outlaw bottled water and then mark it up 1000% onboard. That's not going to fly with a LOT of people.

Providing people the option of purchasing super-marked-up bottled water and drinking desalinated tap water is pretty offensive.

I honestly believe that this was a sneaky plan by Del Rio to drive away the overly-value-conscious customers from NCL, but it's going to have side effects he didn't plan for.

Del Rio likes to utilize the "throw a lot of stuff against the wall and see what sticks" policymaking style. This is infuriating, but at least it allows some of these terrible things to be reversed upon complaint.

I don't share your optimism. The "no food back to the room" policy was a knee jerk overreaction to something Del Rio said while touring one of the ships, whereas this policy seems like it's been in the works for awhile (not sure why it seems that way but it's the way it feels). Passenger feedback may result in a reduction in the price of bottled water but I'm not going to hold my breathe for that either.

I was on CCL Breeze and paid $3.99 for a 12 pack of water. It was lovely not to have care about bringing it on but I will not pay NCL prices whether I could afford to or not. I booked maybe almost two years ago for my upcoming sailing and have UBP as well as UDP for all in cabin (6) and all nights but if water is now included (like Royal, that by far was the best package over NYE) I wonder if old bookings will get, thinking not but I am grateful for this information

It isn't merely the taste of the water that is the issue. Many do not drink the ship's water due to the chemicals which many swear cause swelling of the feet. I would not have thought it would make that much difference, but on the Getaway, my feet bacame so swollen, for the first time in my life, that I wondered if I was suddenly going into heart failure. Same thing happened to my daughter in law on another cruise.

For families with a few children who like to drink soda, buying a soda package for a few kids, rather than just bringing on a case of pop can get pricey.

For the true conspiracy theorists among us (you know who you are), the price of bottled water onboard should drop the same day the new policy goes into effect. That way, everyone pays inflated prices until they can't bring their own. Also, NCL can claim they are looking out for their passengers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Bad news for all lovers of sparking water and caffeine free diet coke:

https://www.ncl.com/faq/liquor-beverage-policy

Effective July 1, 2016, for sailings July 15, 2016 and beyond, guests are prohibited from bringing any beverages -- including liquor, beer and non-alcoholic drinks such as water, soda and juices -- on board either as carry-on or checked luggage, with the exception of purified or distilled water in factory-sealed containers for use in conjunction with medical devices or for the reconstitution of infant formula; and fully sealed and/or corked wine bottles for personal consumption onboard that is subject to screening and a corkage fee (for guests 21 years of age or older). Open beverages of any kind must be consumed or discarded at the security check-point, on embarkation day and at any port of call.

People need to swamp their FB page and tell them what you think.

Cruiselines typically charge for bottled water, sodas, juice etc on board so why would anyone expect to bring on their own at no charge?

Because it's been that way for eons -- as a matter of convenience for the customer.

Cruise lines sell clothing on board so why should anyone expect to bring their own at no charge?

I was on CCL Breeze and paid $3.99 for a 12 pack of water. It was lovely not to have care about bringing it on but I will not pay NCL prices whether I could afford to or not. I booked maybe almost two years ago for my upcoming sailing and have UBP as well as UDP for all in cabin (6) and all nights but if water is now included (like Royal, that by far was the best package over NYE) I wonder if old bookings will get, thinking not but I am grateful for this information

can you tell me if Norwegian provides a liter size bottle of water in the rooms, and if so, what the cost is? or do I have to purchase a larger amount at high prices. I have mostly cruised Carnival in the last 16 years, and appreciated them lowering the cost of their bottled water when they banned brining it on.

Thanks

People need to swamp their FB page and tell them what you think.

They are, intermixed with photos of people having a good time on their cruises.

If you're going to write a complaint, having a grownup who knows basic English grammar review it first might be a good idea.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

For the true conspiracy theorists among us (you know who you are), the price of bottled water onboard should drop the same day the new policy goes into effect. That way, everyone pays inflated prices until they can't bring their own. Also, NCL can claim they are looking out for their passengers.

Good chance something like this happens.

I can't see them going too long with the existing bottled water prices, without a major major major backlash.

That's a fair assessment (no pun intended). To be more accurate, I should have said *some* of NCL's bloated fares.

As I've been saying in other threads, in my particular example, NCL was nearly $3300 higher than Princess for a 7 day Alaska our of Seattle in a PH suite. Ridiculous. Others have reported similar. But you're right, there are deals out there... mostly, I'd wager, on the saturated Miami/Caribbean market.

It is clear that Del Rio is all about squeezing the maximum profit out of everything, rather than creating brand loyalty.

His strategy is very strong in the short term, but can cause a lot of problems long term.

Without getting into the economics discussion, I've observed that NCL is trying a lot harder than before to extract top dollar out of their fares. As you said, the only cheap fares are in saturated markets where they can't get away with inflating prices.

They're basically taking the approach of starting with really high prices and only lowering them if sales aren't proceeding as expected. They always did this to some degree, but it seems a lot more extreme now.

Cruiselines typically charge for bottled water, sodas, juice etc on board so why would anyone expect to bring on their own at no charge?

Because it's always been allowed before. Yes, I know, things change, but how and why they change are critical in how people accept said change. When CCL changed its policy it clearly said that it was to reduce smuggling and to reduce passenger processing time through security, they only banned bottles, they offered water at a reasonable price and they still allow cans to be brought onboard.

NCL instituted a ban on all beverages, bottled or canned, and they charge an arm and a leg for water and then after the fact come up with some generic hooey about safety and security that doesn't ring true at all. And this against the backdrop of the CEO's public comments about getting $5 to $10 per day out of each passenger who is a captive audience (yes, I know, we are, but for a CEO to publicly say so doesn't leave one feeling like a valued guest).

I'm guessing for security reasons I semi-understand why they're doing it. But the people that are diabetic than that do you want to have a soda occasionally. You're really going to have to up your game on offering a bigger variety then just Diet Coke. It's a shame because I had always brought on a six pack of bottles of caffeine free Diet Coke.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app