Can't bring soda on board anymore

lixogab

But it happens everywhere. I think Disneyland sells a 15 ounce bottle of water for $2.79, which would equate to over $5.50 for a liter of water.

Look, when you buy anything at an airport its highway robbery. One time while looking for yogurt at the airport I did find different prices at different kiosks. Just because it happens everywhere, doesn't mean its right.

Some of us like to carry a bottle of water while on our excursions. The water on the ship makes my ankles swell after a few days. I drink tea and coffee at my meals, so I have no choice as to make my own hot drinks...and this is enough to make my ankles swell up. It appears also, I am not the only one this happens to.

What NCL wants to charge is offensive!

Edited by SASSYnLV

I totaly agree. I detest getting gouged just because I'm a captive audience whether it's one day or 14. But for one day, I can live with it even if I'm not happy.

I don't have too much skin in the game, because I'll be drinking fountain soda and frozen alcoholic drinks to be fair. I'm not cancelling. But if we have fun next month on the Anthem, then I could be come a Royal Caribbean girl instead of an NCL one in future.

It is unfortunate that whenever we are in a captive audience situation (cruises, some resorts, sporting events, amusement parks, airports, etc.), we are at the mercy of the companies as far as the prices they charge.

The strawberry daiquiris are awesome.

There were two bars in the town, the exact same prices. Captive, and accepted by all attendees. I could've driven to the next town and sat in the car park of Carrefour with my 50cent can of coke but that's not my thing.

Just be happy you weren't in Switzerland. Had a restaurant there charge me 5 francs for a glass of water (not even bottled).

I'm pretty sure half the people on this thread don't even sail Norwegian LOL

guess what!

if other cruise lines see that NCL can get away with this..overcharging for water, the will be next.

Carnival will start charging more for their bottled water. Its all about what the market will allow. Just you wait!

Totally disagree with you post. People need to have self control to avoid dehydration. However, water is available all over the ship for free. In the buffet, at any bar, restaurants or stateroom. You can still bring a sports bottle and keep it filled. So I really don't understand why its a detriment to the passengers?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I live in Vegas. Do you know how many people get sick from not drinking enough water and drinking too much booze.

You give the average Joe too much credit.

We are booked on quite a few NCL cruises, but have NOT received any email notification about this change in policy.

What is interesting is that we are still in a time period where we could cancel all of our reservations withOUT penalty.

It appears that NCL is *only* notifying passengers once their cancellation penalties are already in place.

If this is correct, then that is *really* sleazy. :mad:

Has ANYONE who is NOT yet within any penalty for cancelling received a communication directly from NCL about this new policy?

???

We are in the same position. It will be real interesting to see when we get Our e-mail. We are coming up on final payment. My question is if NCL operates its headquarters out of Miami, why are they not held to Florida (or US) consumer fraud laws. I don't like the fact that "They" can change their horses in mid stream. If you put money down on a cruise from the point that a down payment was (even a future cruise credit) paid, you entered in to a contract for what was listed at the time, not on a whim. This applies to both sides. It would be different if NCL had to change its itinerary for ship or passenger safety. That is spelled out before hand.

This is true but then again you spent maybe 8 hours at Disneyland. I'm spending two weeks on the Breakaway later this year and so the inflated prices add up to be quite prohibitive after a while.

And you are allowed to bring your own water.

I can see the issue impact the coke vs pepsi product folks.

But when it comes to water the water that the ship produces is actually better then most of the bottled water on the market. The desalination process is the same as is used to make commercial distilled water. The ship actually has to add minerals back into it. Compared with a lot of bottled water which often just comes out of whatever water is available where ever the bottling plant is located, including standard city water supplies.

I just take a couple of empty plastic bottles and refill them on the ship. Depending upon where I am traveling I sometimes use a bottle with a built in filter for access to local water if needed.

But it happens everywhere. I think Disneyland sells a 15 ounce bottle of water for $2.79, which would equate to over $5.50 for a liter of water.

There are multiple issues only one of which is the rip-off pricing of water and other drinks .

The other issue is changing the policy to prohibit what was allowed and then giving 2 week notice of this change .

(To add to this insult, that they only seem to be notifying those past the cancellation date . :mad: )

The final issue is using as an excuse that old standby of security . So why are cans prohibited ?

I like having the option to bring my favorite beverages on board. My daughter is insulin resistance and she can only drinks sparkling water. I hope NCL will consider changing their policy. Perhaps allow a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages, such as 12 sealed, unopened cans per guest in carry-on luggage.

We are in the same position. It will be real interesting to see when we get Our e-mail. We are coming up on final payment. My question is if NCL operates its headquarters out of Miami, why are they not held to Florida (or US) consumer fraud laws. I don't like the fact that "They" can change their horses in mid stream. If you put money down on a cruise from the point that a down payment was (even a future cruise credit) paid, you entered in to a contract for what was listed at the time, not on a whim. This applies to both sides. It would be different if NCL had to change its itinerary for ship or passenger safety. That is spelled out before hand.

We will be contacting the Florida AG's office on Tuesday, as I mentioned somewhere on CC a while ago. (Apologies if I'm repeating from recently on this very thread.)

Some years ago, I saw a clearly fraudulent TV ad, and the business was in Florida (we are not).

So I phoned the AG's office, and they were remarkably interested and took down considerable info.

About a month later, the "troublesome" claim in the TV was gone.

Who knows if there was any "cause and effect", but at least the AG's office seemed to "care" (or put on a great act ?).

If they hear from several (or better yet, many of us), that should get more attention, as NCL is a big operation (and the fly by night company with the TV ad was not).

And because NCL is a large corporation with plenty of business in other states, how about the FTC also?

We'll see what their response is...

NOTE: Our biggest complaint right now is that it appears that NCL is ONLY notifying those passengers who have passed into a cancellation penalty phase, when we all know NCL could send out the same blast email to everyone that they use to entice everyone with special offers.

That is not okay... to WAIT until reservations pass into penalties...!

Also please note that we ourselves are not (yet) affected by this. All of our reservations are in a "get your refund back" status, although a few of those deadlines are coming up.

This is truly because we object to this type of business practice, which is very different from other "changes" that NCL has made.

-->> At least then, NCL didn't seem to purposefully *wait* until after customers passed into a penalty time before adding them to the notification list.

Again, has ANYONE who has a cruise that is *not* yet in a penalty period received notification directly from NCL about this change?

Thanks.

It will be interesting to see if other lines follow.

Perhaps NCL needs to also re-think the "free" UBP as a booking gimmick.

I would like to see cheaper room rates and fewer booking gimmicks.

NCL isn't the first line to crack down on bottled water and soda. How many of you would walk into a restaurant and expect to take your own soda?

I do agree about lower prices with fewer perks, but yet, give us a choice. I am looking forward to our next cruise with the dinner package and the booze. We had the booze on our last cruise; loved knowing our final bill wasn't going to give us heart failure. Now looking forward to choosing specialty dining without worrying about the cost.

Let me add, our November cruise on Epic is costing us about $1200 per person, including booze, special dining and gratuities on both, plus a small OBC and includes our insurance and all taxes and port charges. We have a mid ship, balcony cabin. base price without ins. gratuities and taxes was less than $800 a person.

I can see the issue impact the coke vs pepsi product folks.

But when it comes to water the water that the ship produces is actually better then most of the bottled water on the market. The desalination process is the same as is used to make commercial distilled water. The ship actually has to add minerals back into it. Compared with a lot of bottled water which often just comes out of whatever water is available where ever the bottling plant is located, including standard city water supplies.

I just take a couple of empty plastic bottles and refill them on the ship. Depending upon where I am traveling I sometimes use a bottle with a built in filter for access to local water if needed.

People keep saying that, but it doesn't make it true. First half of my last week long cruise I drank the ships water, second half I drank bottled water. I swelled up to the point I had trouble wearing shoes the first half, switched to bottled water and voila, my feet reduced in size. Showed me there is a difference.

It will be interesting to see if other lines follow.

Perhaps NCL needs to also re-think the "free" UBP as a booking gimmick.

I would like to see cheaper room rates and fewer booking gimmicks.

NCL isn't the first line to crack down on bottled water and soda. How many of you would walk into a restaurant and expect to take your own soda?

I do agree about lower prices with fewer perks, but yet, give us a choice. I am looking forward to our next cruise with the dinner package and the booze. We had the booze on our last cruise; loved knowing our final bill wasn't going to give us heart failure. Now looking forward to choosing specialty dining without worrying about the cost.

The cost of our cruise is less than $800 a person before taxes, port charges, insurance. and gratuities for food and booze and a small OBC. At $1200 a person there is no place we could go with food, booze and entertainment included. I know a few people who have tried AIs. I have a few times as well. They do offer a fair deal but are not as enjoyable as cruising. llinsrnere erWhere can ehre . I

The BIG problem is that NCL is apparently WAITING, and only notifying passengers who have already passed into the penalty period.

That is a huge change from their previous behavior (as far as we can tell).

I like having the option to bring my favorite beverages on board. My daughter is insulin resistance and she can only drinks sparkling water. I hope NCL will consider changing their policy. Perhaps allow a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages, such as 12 sealed, unopened cans per guest in carry-on luggage.

I am sure with a note from her doctor they will make an exception. NCL as well as other lines are very good about providing for medical needs. If you really think they will allow you to bring unopened cans, per guest, forget it. I can understand their point as well.

The BIG problem is that NCL is apparently WAITING, and only notifying passengers who have already passed into the penalty period.

That is a huge change from their previous behavior (as far as we can tell).

It sounds like they are notifying people who are likely to show up with items they can't bring on board any longer - the first cruises after the policy goes into effect. If you're sailing in September, you should have time to see the press release or the website or Cruise Critic.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Originally Posted by newmexicoNita View Post

Not sure what this has to do with the topic. If you check in to a hotel (cruise is more like a floating hotel or resort...you absolutely can bring your own beverages...just not sure what point this is supposed to make).

This is a policy change that affects lots of people and they have a right to complain.

On water, it's free in the buffets, bars, restaurants and taps. The price gouging is on the plastic bottles some of you are so desperate to have. Buy a reusable bottle, get one with a filter, and the problem is solved.

I do think at least one side benefit they would like is lessening the amount of trash that is generated, and before the recycling people leap in, the ships still have to process it, carry it back to the home port and (probably) pay someone to haul it away. Recycling does not save a ship money.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

There are multiple issues only one of which is the rip-off pricing of water and other drinks .

The other issue is changing the policy to prohibit what was allowed and then giving 2 week notice of this change .

(To add to this insult, that they only seem to be notifying those past the cancellation date . :mad: )

The final issue is using as an excuse that old standby of security . So why are cans prohibited ?

I was responding to someone who said we don't like to be gouged here in the United States and pointing out that it happens other places as well, not just NCL.

Your questions are questions you should be asking NCL and if you do, please post their answers.

On water, it's free in the buffets, bars, restaurants and taps. The price gouging is on the plastic bottles some of you are so desperate to have. Buy a reusable bottle, get one with a filter, and the problem is solved.

Nothing is free on a ship...you paid for it. ;)

If our government can't regulate the prices of water sold on a ship how can you expect them to regulate the quality of the tap water?

How often are the tanks inspected?