Can't bring soda on board anymore

lixogab

Security and delayed embarkation? Where exactly? I don't think I've ever seen anyone carry on a case of anything. And if cases are being given to the porters for delivery with luggage, that doesn't delay embarkation. I usually have a couple bottles in my carry on. Sailing out of San Pedro I was asked if I had any unopened beverages in my bag and I said no (could've just as easy said yes, no one opened my bag). DM had to empty the water bottle she had in her hand. And that was it for the beverage police.

NCL would have a little more credibility with me had FDR not made the comment in the past year about getting that extra $5/day per passenger, and increasing the price of a can of soda because a "captive audience" will pay it. Wanna bet dude? I can wait until I'm in port and find a Diet Coke. Last time we sailed through San Francisco I bought a couple 20oz bottles in port and carried them right back on the ship, no questions asked, no inspection. The security screening was basically in a warehouse, not on the ship in that case. I don't think port security gives a damn.

You know what would delay getting on the ship? A crowd of people blocking the gangway guzzling their beverages. If it was just a bottle or two, I think I'd just risk carrying it on.

Security and delayed embarkation? Where exactly? I don't think I've ever seen anyone carry on a case of anything. And if cases are being given to the porters for delivery with luggage, that doesn't delay embarkation. I usually have a couple bottles in my carry on. Sailing out of San Pedro I was asked if I had any unopened beverages in my bag and I said no (could've just as easy said yes, no one opened my bag). DM had to empty the water bottle she had in her hand. And that was it for the beverage police.

NCL would have a little more credibility with me had FDR not made the comment in the past year about getting that extra $5/day per passenger, and increasing the price of a can of soda because a "captive audience" will pay it. Wanna bet dude? I can wait until I'm in port and find a Diet Coke. Last time we sailed through San Francisco I bought a couple 20oz bottles in port and carried them right back on the ship, no questions asked, no inspection. The security screening was basically in a warehouse, not on the ship in that case. I don't think port security gives a damn.

You know what would delay getting on the ship? A crowd of people blocking the gangway guzzling their beverages. If it was just a bottle or two, I think I'd just risk carrying it on.

In addition to folks guzzling their waters, lol how about pouring it all out in the garbage; one by one. That is what I am going to do if they don't let me take on my 1-2 water bottles. I will stand there and pour it out one by one; why let the security enjoy our waters! ha!

Edited by bedfordmom

:eek::eek:

Good grief - the measures people will take! Unbelievable!

Personally I am for NCL - they are a business not a charity - at the end of the day the profit made from the drinks revenue keeps cruising affordable.

I will - on cruiselines which allow it - ie Celebrity - board with two bottles of a decent champagne such as Bollinger bought from duty free at the airport - to drink in our cabin - but have never ever ever stooped to a low of bringing on waters, sodas and "smuggled" alcohol. I always have a drinks package on every cruiseline I cruise with - whether its a perk or purchased, always an essential.

Why is your choice to bring "decent" champagne on board, but people or would like the choice of bring Coke (vs. Pepsi) on board, stooping to a low?

Edited by cruizinwithkids

Why is your choice to bring "decent" champagne on board, but people or would like the choice of bring Coke (vs. Pepsi) on board, stooping to a low?

Exactly! I think if they are going to ban water and soda, the wine and champagne should be next. For your safety of course!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Exactly! I think if they are going to ban water and soda, the wine and champagne should be next. For your safety of course!

Nah, they'll raise the corkage (as mentioned recently the corkage is basically money for nothing anyway for them).

Too right - a well-aimed bottle of plonk can do far more damage than a can of Coke! :D

Nah, they'll raise the corkage (as mentioned recently the corkage is basically money for nothing anyway for them).

Corkage is an industry standard. It is done all the time in the restaurant business. $15 as it goes is cheap for a 750ml. As a collector of fine wine, I gladly pay corkage on cruises as well as restaurants to drink my wine.

I am in favor of the ban. I believe it will curb illegal booze, and minimize people getting sick, which happens far too often on NCL. Their cruise fares are low with the hopes of making up money on people's bar tab.

Some are commenting that they read there will be a ban on refillable bottles .

A bizarre thread was started yesterday and it and the op are no longer in existence . She "quoted" some far out things that a certain NCL rep said to her, including that NCL would be confiscating personal water bottles.

There is a reason that the thread was removed. And it wasn't overnight. I ran out to to an errand after I commented and in the hour I was gone it was removed.

Many are very worked up about this new policy. No need to add speculation and rumors to the water and soda fire.

I saw that thread.

This entire topic is a weird little mind movie. It diverts me from reality and things that are important in life.

I'm currently spending ten minutes on it with my morning coffee.

Corkage is an industry standard. It is done all the time in the restaurant business. $15 as it goes is cheap for a 750ml. As a collector of fine wine, I gladly pay corkage on cruises as well as restaurants to drink my wine.

I am in favor of the ban. I believe it will curb illegal booze, and minimize people getting sick, which happens far too often on NCL. Their cruise fares are low with the hopes of making up money on people's bar tab.

I understand how it works. As I mentioned I don't think smuggled booze is the concern that it used to be with UBP as a perk. This is another passenger unfriendly policy enacted to increase onboard revenue and being spun to look like something else. I don't mind a company making money but don't lie to me in the process. (And I will say again it wouldn't surprise me if they raised the corkage fee, just because they can.)

So banning cans of pop is going to stop illegal booze from getting on board? Not in the world I live in. Carnival still allows cans on board and only stopped bottles. I am Platinum on NCL and have never saw anyone getting sick from drinking too much. Loud yes, sick no.

Sorry, I haven't really been reading the last 2-3 hundred posts but has anyone posted how much the fee will be for bringing on a case of soda or water?

(Wanna bring your own, PAY up?!! as in want room service? pay for it!!)

... I believe that I was one of the people that said maybe they'll institute a fee for bringing soda on but that was kind of tongue in cheek (although it really wouldn't surprise me if they did come up with something like that).

We both had the same idea, although mine wasn't really tongue in cheek. I believe this to be exactly how NCL, in all it's lack of wisdom, would go about "offering a solution".

"Ok, if you want to bring your own water, pay for it." :rolleyes:

Ban away NCL, just remember we cruisers have the ultimate ban...Bye

This is crazy. You would honestly leave a cruise line over a case of water? Sorry to say but many of the other cruise lines already have this policy in place. I think you are going to be disappointed where ever you go.

This is crazy. You would honestly leave a cruise line over a case of water? Sorry to say but many of the other cruise lines already have this policy in place. I think you are going to be disappointed where ever you go.

If you think people are leaving NCL over a case of water, you aren't seeing the big picture.

I have diverted a major portion of my cruise budget to other lines because of the numerous money grubbing tactics NCL has done since the management change.

Since I cruise six to eight times per year, I have had the opportunity to see what some of the other lines offer, and I am pleased with their terms and service as opposed to NCL.

NCL now leaves me with the feeling of "Waiting for the other shoe to drop" and I can assure you it will as long as the present management of NCL maintains the attitude that their customers are "fish" waiting to be hooked.

Shewt, we've seen a poster who said the brand of ketchup on board was a deal-breaker.

We both had the same idea, although mine wasn't really tongue in cheek. I believe this to be exactly how NCL, in all it's lack of wisdom, would go about "offering a solution".

"Ok, if you want to bring your own water, pay for it." :rolleyes:

That's why I said "kind of tongue in cheek" because it wouldn't surprise me to see NCL take that route.

Yes this is small potatoes BUT

A) It may be the last straw for many . There are a lot of other options .

B) It's a sign of a FU attitude from NCL announcing it with a 2 week notice , not making any

adjustments to soften the blow and telling us it is for security reasons

C) I'm sorry to say you are wrong about the other cruise lines . I have brought on cans or

water on all of my recent cruises . Why do you and others keep repeating this lie ?

Edited by richstowe

If you think people are leaving NCL over a case of water, you aren't seeing the big picture.

I have diverted a major portion of my cruise budget to other lines because of the numerous money grubbing tactics NCL has done since the management change.

Since I cruise six to eight times per year, I have had the opportunity to see what some of the other lines offer, and I am pleased with their terms and service as opposed to NCL.

NCL now leaves me with the feeling of "Waiting for the other shoe to drop" and I can assure you it will as long as the present management of NCL maintains the attitude that their customers are "fish" waiting to be hooked.

Exactly, just another passenger unfriendly policy in a long list of them. I don't carry on water but will bring Coke for DW since she abhors Pepsi.

Guys, I have no vices. I have never had a sip of alcohol in my life, I've never smoked (anything), there are no naked pictures of me on the Internet, and my mother has never heard me utter a four-letter word. My husband threatens to cut me off Excedrin because it makes me a little loopy. There are Mormon priests that look at me and tell me I need to live a little.

All I want is a Coke every now and again- maybe a Dr. Pepper if I'm feeling frisky. I'm willing to pay for it. I don't think I'm asking for too much. :eek:

What other lines ban outside drinks totally? I'm looking at other lines, because of this policy among many other reasons, & I haven't run across one yet. As a matter of fact, a few let one bottle of wine per person on board, with no corkage fee.

Yes this is small potatoes BUT

A) It may be the last straw for many . There are a lot of other options .

B) It's a sign of a FU attitude from NCL announcing it with a 2 week notice , not making a adjustments to soften the blow and telling us it is for security reasons and

C) I'm sorry to say you are wrong about the other cruise lines . I have brought on cans or water on all of my recent cruises . Why do you and others keep repeating this lie ?

Royal Caribbean's published policy

Q: Can I bring liquor or non-alcoholic beverages (from home or from a port) onboard?

A:

Guests are not allowed to bring beer, hard liquor, fortified wines or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use on boarding day or while in port. Alcoholic beverages seized on boarding day will not be returned.

Carnivals published policy

Bringing Liquor and Beverages Onboard - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages onboard that are packaged in bottles.

You can bring cans, but flat water in cans is increasingly difficult to find, so essentially a ban.

Some people have had no issues bring water on, but in doing so they are violating the policy. That being said each line has the right to determine the level of enforcement they are going to exhibit.

I keep reading about this UBP being gratis or a perk, and that most people have it. However, it would cost me £900 ($1165) total extra if I wanted this for my wife and I.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Royal Caribbean's published policy

Q: Can I bring liquor or non-alcoholic beverages (from home or from a port) onboard?

A:

Guests are not allowed to bring beer, hard liquor, fortified wines or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use on boarding day or while in port. Alcoholic beverages seized on boarding day will not be returned.

Carnivals published policy

Bringing Liquor and Beverages Onboard - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages onboard that are packaged in bottles.

You can bring cans, but flat water in cans is increasingly difficult to find, so essentially a ban.

Some people have had no issues bring water on, but in doing so they are violating the policy. That being said each line has the right to determine the level of enforcement they are going to exhibit.[/quote

Thanks for posting this

I don't know why people insist RCCL allows soda and water. I have seen in confiscated in Miami and Baltimore and Port Canaveral. If some people get away with it, that is their luck. But it is disingenuous to state that a policy is a truth when it is merely not uniformly enforced. If NCL cruisers want to maintain credibility in a "fight", they can't make up facts. Stick to what is important. NCL cruisers that haven't cancelled their cruises over this ban are upset about the high price of water and the fact that another cruise line allows cans but NCL doesn't, thus preventing them from bringing Coke products and almond milk aboard. Staying focused is important.

Edited by Annmeat