Can't bring soda on board anymore

lixogab

Not a $5 case of water. Work on researching. The size and qty of the bottles is about $40 retail in the states.

So they're getting it for, what, $20 or less wholesale? Still quite the markup for water.

Edited by sparks1093

Sorry to say, there are no adjustments to the gratuity charges on NCL. If you want to complain or adjust the gratuities you must write and lodge your complaint after you leave the ship with NCL. You will be charged. Then you have to fight for what your complaint was with NCL Miami Corporate offices and "good luck" with that.

NCL has you by the baxxs on this one.

sorry but you are incorrect. they cannot withhold a partial or full refund. it's not a fight.

worse case scenario, i can just file a dispute with my credit card company and let them fight the issue for me if ncl wants to fight.

btw, nice side boob. :)

Edited by Computer Nerd

Never again!

Such a shame, Nowegian was a geat company, all they had to do was provide a way for passengers who already booked to offset extra cost and burden of this new policy. Instead, they blew it!

We will never do business with them again - there are plenty of options to choose from, even if cost more.

So sad to see such a decline in service and basic principles of courtesy.

I rebooked on Carnival, called to cancel my NCL booking- the rude service rep said that no refunds will be made because we are past the deadline.

So I called the credit card company, contacted the BBB, and have prepared for a long legal battle to get my money back.

Edited by Jupitermars

LOL at how literal people are. I can buy 36 0.5 liter bottles of Aquafina (pr pretty much any brand of bottled water) at my local ShopRite for $4 on sale. Add in the extra 12 to get the equivalent in 24 1 liter bottles = $5. It can be cheaper at a big box club.

Those are the size bottles we were planning to bring (but of Poland Springs, not Aquafina). In a rolling duffle we would carry on with us. So, yeah, replacing $5 worth of water will cost us $70.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So they're getting it for, what, $20 or less wholesale? Still quite the markup for water.

Not outrageous mark-up at all. I can buy a six pack of Corona for about $9. So on a boat it costs me about $5 a bottle. So for a six pack I pay $25 to $30 depending if they give me one free in the bucket.

Anywhere you go like Disney, hotels, movie theaters, restaurants there are tremendous mark-ups everywhere from soda, candy, snacks, necessities like sun screen and even water. Even your store rite aid marks up products compared to a regular grocery store mostly because they don't buy as much bulk like a wal-mart. I can get a Gatorade at Walmart for .88 but if I go to Walgreens or rite aid I pay at least $2 for it.

To me I don't find the price of water for the brand and size all that outrageous. I don't mind either way with NCL policy on not bringing in water or soda on board. But look around and you see outrageous mark-ups everywhere and everyday but that's life and business.

All I know is that I still get to bring my water bottle on board and fill it from the tap just like I have always done, and the water on the ship tastes better than any bottled water that I buy at home. For some of us it is still a win - win!

So glad you explained that to me. I had no idea that was ncls page and that's how fb works:rolleyes:

For the record, I dont give a rats behind about bringing on water , pop, or whatever people want. I never have and never will. It's the inflated prices they're selling their water at.

So..what you may find "silly" is important to someone else. Who are you to say it's silly? Because it doesn't affect you? I read on here so much ...well it doesn't affect me, so I don't care attitude.

Any other rules about FB I should know?

THIS response is why CC is starting to stink . Annmeat clearly was referencing a member who had to gty cabins, upgraded and didn't get them next to each other. She never said she didn't care. Her point about his complaint should have said" what a dunderhead. Thinks he doesn't have to play by he rules, had good luck twice and now is complaining when time # 3 he is not as lucky? "

Ahw is right about Facebook. YOUR complaint about FACEBOOK is silly. The water complaints are completely valid, but to be pizzeria that NCL is keeping their page tidy is a bit over the top.

Again, NCl's fb page, is not mine. Gasp.... Yes, I know about how to get to visitor's posts on their page.Gasp again. What is on there does not make me happy or sad. I was replying to another poster who mentioned posts on ncls fb page.

Again, with the schooling on Fb???? I need no help getting around Fb.

From your pic here, you seem like you'd be a nice guy..but as the saying goes...pics are deceiving.

Wowza

You are a tad sensitive , no? Why are you saying this man is not a nice guy? Folks on here are only allowed to comment if they think everything about NCL is personally aimed at them to make sure your cruise STINKS.

Now we know the rules.. Don't try to be helpful and never, ever, ever say anything nice about NCL

Never again!

Such a shame, Nowegian was a geat company, all they had to do was provide a way for passengers who already booked to offset extra cost and burden of this new policy. Instead, they blew it!

We will never do business with them again - there are plenty of options to choose from, even if cost more.

So sad to see such a decline in service and basic principles of courtesy.

I rebooked on Carnival, called to cancel my NCL booking- the rude service rep said that no refunds will be made because we are past the deadline.

So I called the credit card company, contacted the BBB, and have prepared for a long legal battle to get my money back.

Which you will lose if you can even find an attorney of any repute to take a very clear case of NCL being right. You cancelled after final, unless you have the proper insurance you get nothing back. It isn't difficult! The CC company will investigate and you will end up still paying the bill.

we are all set - saving the waves and environment with filtered water bottle...https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00447UVKE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Glad for you that this solution works. I haven't found that filtering the water makes it taste any better. If anything, the water is already so filtered that it tastes stale. Having done my bit for the environment in other ways, I enjoy bottled water guilt free when I'm someplace where I find the tap water undrinkable.

THIS response is why CC is starting to stink . Annmeat clearly was referencing a member who had to gty cabins, upgraded and didn't get them next to each other. She never said she didn't care. Her point about his complaint should have said" what a dunderhead. Thinks he doesn't have to play by he rules, had good luck twice and now is complaining when time # 3 he is not as lucky? "

Ahw is right about Facebook. YOUR complaint about FACEBOOK is silly. The water complaints are completely valid, but to be pizzeria that NCL is keeping their page tidy is a bit over the top.

Try reading her post again slowly. She mentions me by name.

Silly me for thinking she was talking to me.

Edited by janpo

we are all set - saving the waves and environment with filtered water bottle...https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00447UVKE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just added a couple to my Amazon basket over lunchtime - not pressed the 'go' button yet. Stylish, eco-friendly, cost-effective and practical cruising! :)

Fantastic! Now people should not complain about the cost of water. They can get unlimited water for a small price and also save the environment.

It still won't matter to them though. They need something to complain about its in their DNA.

I have received 2 call backs from the emails I have sent. Unfortunately the representatives seemed to be "hired" reps who only can respond to questions with the talking points distributed by NCL. When asked questions about other NCL policies they have no information. NCL maybe responding but are not displaying any sincere interest or concern. I have brought water on in the past and my spouse has brought on the only beverage he can drink -- sparking water. NCL may have had better PR with this new policy if it grandfathered cruisers who have already paid in full and have no recourse on canceling the cruise. An effective date of January 1, and not a 14 day notice would have helped too. NCL is just looking toward additional revenue, and not a great cruiser experience. If this was a security issue they would not allow wine. I guess the corkage fee is a money maker.

NCL may have had better PR with this new policy if it grandfathered cruisers who have already paid in full and have no recourse on canceling the cruise. An effective date of January 1, and not a 14 day notice would have helped too. NCL is just looking toward additional revenue, and not a great cruiser experience. If this was a security issue they would not allow wine. I guess the corkage fee is a money maker.

I agree with you! This new policy goes into effect on the 15th and I set sail on the 24th. It is clear to me that NCL does not want my business and that is fine. We will go and enjoy our cruise knowing that it will be our first and last. Back to Carnival we go. Note Carnival's Q and A they posted with their policy change:

Q. What is the rationale behind this decision?

A. Guests bringing bottled beverages on board are proving to be a source of multiple issues. The first issue is the impact on the boarding process. Bottled beverages are the most common means by which guests attempt to smuggle alcohol on board which necessitates that bottles be individually examined by security personnel. This bogs down the embarkation process and requires security resources dedicated to checking bottled beverages. Most importantly, when behavioral issues occur on board and are ultimately investigated, smuggled alcohol often appears to be a factor. We sincerely apologize for any disappointment these changes may cause. However, we firmly believe these changes will ultimately benefit all guests.

Therefore, to ensure an enjoyable experience for all guests and crew, we are modifying our beverage policy. We will continue to allow up to 12 unopened cans or cartons of water, sodas and non-alcoholic beverages per person to be brought on board during embarkation. Guests can now purchase a 12-pack of (purified) bottled water from Carnival at a price of $3.99 USD online prior to their cruise or $3.99 USD (plus gratuity) once on board through Room Service.

Q. Is this just a ploy to generate increased revenue on board?

A. No. In fact, we do not anticipate any increase in revenue as a result of this policy change, particularly given the significant reduction in price we have instituted for 12-packs of bottled water.

With NCL it is a ploy to increase revenue. Sucks being taken advantage of!

Edited by spenceblake
Mistake in sentence

It's funny to me that there are people who think that complaining about people complaining is not complaining.

I know some people are being helpful by posting filter bottle info. But posting to complain about the complaining comes off as simply water-splaining (or maybe that should be NCL-splaining). This thread would have been much shorter without those types of comments and the responses some of us feel obligated to post (complaining about the complaints about the complaining? ;) )

I would have attempted to estimate how much shorter the thread would have been without the complaints about complaining and follow-ups, but that would have started down a rabbit hole of "how did you calculate that amount" posts and I figured I'd spare us all those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which you will lose if you can even find an attorney of any repute to take a very clear case of NCL being right. You cancelled after final, unless you have the proper insurance you get nothing back. It isn't difficult! The CC company will investigate and you will end up still paying the bill.
I'd have to agree . It is a one way street . They get to change "the deal" but we "the sheep" must follow the agreement to the letter . You are beyond the cancellation deadline date . Woo baby , good luck with that . :eek:

Glad for you that this solution works. I haven't found that filtering the water makes it taste any better. If anything, the water is already so filtered that it tastes stale. Having done my bit for the environment in other ways, I enjoy bottled water guilt free when I'm someplace where I find the tap water undrinkable.

Put in ice and a piece of lemon. It will taste great!

Has anyone recently received a notification from NCL about his new policy I still have not.

Hi Lorey -

If you mean for a cruise *within* final payment, then, yes, I received it on 07/01 (funny, shortly after they called me from my e-mail to them on the policy change, I got an e-mail notification). :rolleyes:

If you mean for the ones I had for 2017, then no, they did not e-mail (so those were replaced on 07/08). ;)

All I know is that I still get to bring my water bottle on board and fill it from the tap just like I have always done, and the water on the ship tastes better than any bottled water that I buy at home. For some of us it is still a win - win!

I agree!!

Just so you know, that Bobble bottle uses activated carbon which will remove the chlorine from the water. But it will not remove the sodium. I see on Cruise Critic a lot of people talk about not drinking the tap water because their ankles swell due to the sodium in the water. This bottle is not a solution to that problem. But it should make the water taste "fresher".

Maggie