Sirena Reviews to Date

gdlamberth

Le us know what you think. Would love to get a real time opinion of things. And I too am not concerned about the bathroom or cabin size-I know what to expect there. Are things working properly? Are the staff as good or better attitude wise as my remembrance form Regatta? What do you think of the Horizon's make-over? The combining of the two restaurants? Internet better as they said it would be? Shows upgraded as promised? Between the Princess apparent quality lapse and Oceania being bought out by a company that is squeezing costs out, am curious if there is a trickle down effect.

Very briefly all is good and it seems a happy well- run ship.

Having only been on Marina and Riviera before I can't compare it with other R ships.

Horizons is lovely and is very busy as night as there is a Happy Hour from 10.30 to 11.30 pm

Not keen on the restaurant combination but may have just chosen badly so will reserve final judgement until second visit. Red ginger beckons tomorrow

Just seen one show as singing and dancing is not really my cup of tea. There is a company of 6 and whilst very enthusiastic and extremely hard working it all seemed a bit amateurish to me.

Internet much better though still has limitations with Face time etc but best I've ever had at sea.only one device per cabin at a time can be a little annoying.

Edited by Buryfan

We're booked on 7th August cruise in a Penthouse suite which our travel agent said has been refurbished. We chose Oceania on recommendation from friends. Have been on most other cruise lines. Will be very interested in your comments. Have a great holiday.

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl

We are in a PH. I would say it has been partially refurbished. All the soft furnishings are new and the lighting. The bed is the comfiest ever. Balcony furniture is new and I discovered yesterday the chairs recline !

Bathroom is all new with large walk in shower with modern static head and a hand held. Loads of storage.

The wood furniture though appears to be original. Dark and a bit old fashioned and drawers stick a bit. TV also is small and has to be pulled out on a sliding base to watch in bed.

Copious mirrors throughout including a magnifying mirror ( can be a positive and a negative ! )

I am on Sirena for the next 9 days if anyone has any questions

Thanks for offering assistance.

Newbie to Oceania here. We are considering a 28 day cruise to South America on the Sirena this fall. We have sailed Princess and HAL many times and are interested in knowing the differences on this line. It looks gorgeous, and the reviews are varying as others have mentioned. So, are the staterooms a great deal smaller than larger ships? Is there a promenade for walking? How is the entertainment? Sounds like the food and drink are amazing. Any other comments would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks!

Any other comments would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks!

Before you book a 28 day cruise on ANY ship, LOOK AT THE DECKPLANS and see what you are buying into.

All of the information, including cabin measurements, is there for the asking.

I did a survey on this board asking if people really used the Deckplans and 90% responded that they did. I fear that number has slipped by half.

Before you book a 28 day cruise on ANY ship, LOOK AT THE DECKPLANS and see what you are buying into.

All of the information, including cabin measurements, is there for the asking.

I did a survey on this board asking if people really used the Deckplans and 90% responded that they did. I fear that number has slipped by half.

Yes, of course one would look at the deck plans, and I have done so. But I just couldn't find a promenade and I thought perhaps you could tell me as you are on the ship. Thanks for your reply.

Yes, of course one would look at the deck plans, and I have done so. But I just couldn't find a promenade and I thought perhaps you could tell me as you are on the ship. Thanks for your reply.

There is no promenade deck.

Edited by Cruseforme

Newbie to Oceania here. We are considering a 28 day cruise to South America on the Sirena this fall. We have sailed Princess and HAL many times and are interested in knowing the differences on this line. It looks gorgeous, and the reviews are varying as others have mentioned. So, are the staterooms a great deal smaller than larger ships? Is there a promenade for walking? How is the entertainment? Sounds like the food and drink are amazing. Any other comments would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks!

Make sure you are comparing the size of ship

Oceania has 2 sizes

the smaller ones are a lot smaller than any HAL ship

Not sure what Princess ship have sailed so no comment

Most regular cabins are 165sq ft I would guess 10 ft wide so fine a space in your home & mark out the space then add a bed, a sofa, a desk closets & a small washroom

Hi Cheryl

We are in a PH. I would say it has been partially refurbished. All the soft furnishings are new and the lighting. The bed is the comfiest ever. Balcony furniture is new and I discovered yesterday the chairs recline !

Bathroom is all new with large walk in shower with modern static head and a hand held. Loads of storage.

The wood furniture though appears to be original. Dark and a bit old fashioned and drawers stick a bit. TV also is small and has to be pulled out on a sliding base to watch in bed.

Copious mirrors throughout including a magnifying mirror ( can be a positive and a negative ! )

Thanks, Buryfan. Wanted to ask how they have changed the lighting? And do they still have the electrical outlets next to the bed? My husband uses a CPAP machine at night so this is necessary!

Billie

Edited by mountain grandma

There is no promenade deck.

Novices reading this should be aware that Promenade Decks are a longstanding Holland America talking point, gleaned from the fact that their original fleet were converted ocean liners which featured them heavily.

Veendam-0200.JPG

They still claim "wrap around Promenade decks" to be one of their signature features, despite the fact that some of their ships have been retrofitted with what they call "lanai Suites" which make those Promenade Decks nothing more than one giant communal veranda.

520X2Lanai.jpg

In any case, although one cannot make a complete circumnavigation of the ship on Deck 5 of the R ships,

Oceania_Cruises_Regatta_Class_Deckplans_Deck_5.jpg

they are as close a facsimile of what Hal offers as you will find anywhere, and for those who distance walk, there is a separate "wrap around" fitness track on the deck which rings the pool!

hqdefault.jpg

Just saw the USA Today posting on Sirena. As usual, they have included many photos of most everything on Sirena. Sorry I don't have a link handy, but it should be easy to find.

Looks lovely; we'll see for ourselves in two weeks.

Hi gd,

We just completed Miami --> San Francisco via the Panama Canal on the Regatta.

I found your description of the reviews interesting, so I went and read them.

There seems to be a lot there that is just plain "didn't do homework".

One shouldn't expect the R ships to be like those in the 2000 or more pax class.

I find it hard to believe that The Sirena suffers from lack of care.

Ira

BTW, The shower space is not to small if one stands sideways.

Edited by I_r_a
Add a PS

Hi gd,

We just completed Miami --> San Francisco via the Panama Canal on the Regatta.

I found your description of the reviews interesting, so I went and read them.

There seems to be a lot there that is just plain "didn't do homework".

One shouldn't expect the R ships to be like those in the 2000 or more pax class.

I find it hard to believe that The Sirena suffers from lack of care.

Ira

BTW, The shower space is not to small if one stands sideways.

There clearly evidence of folks not doing their homework; there is also the usual "food not to my liking" comments that I generally ignore, nothing for younger folks, and ranting about missing ports for security reasons; BUT, there is also a fair number like:

• This is my 4th time with Oceania in 4 years. Booked Sirena because of the supposedly upgrade to be completed by May 2016. Have previously cruised with Regatta, Insignia and Nautica.
  • Ship Ok - could not see $40 million refurbishment
  • We are sold on "O" but not the Sirena.
  • This ship was NOT ready to sail....it was not finished....too much work still had to be done.
  • Some someliers know nothing about wines ( terrasse cafe ) and are not interested at all.Not trained?
  • This was our 9th cruise on Oceania. We prefer the smaller R ships to the Marina and Riviera. The door of the desk was hanging by one hinge. The kick plate of the closet was falling off. The wood of the furniture was marred and pieces of the veneer were off. Balcony furniture was cheap Home Depot chairs with no cushion.
  • There was a raw sewage smell throughout the ship on and off in different areas.
  • However, this is not the same cruise line that we sailed in the earlier years.
  • Public restrooms in some cases had soap dispensers not working and no towels.
  • Hot tubs did not work ( no jets) the entire cruise.

these are the ones that concern me the most. I understand that some of the mechanical and training things may be "new sailing and crew syndrome" and will likely be fixed before we sail in November; but, I'm sure glad I didn't have to endure the above list:o

Not really bad, just decidedly mediocre IMHO.

Edited by gdlamberth

There clearly evidence of folks not doing their homework; there is also the usual "food not to my liking" comments that I generally ignore, nothing for younger folks, and ranting about missing ports for security reasons; BUT, there is also a fair number like:

• This is my 4th time with Oceania in 4 years. Booked Sirena because of the supposedly upgrade to be completed by May 2016. Have previously cruised with Regatta, Insignia and Nautica.

This one had me wondering if they had even sailed on O before

she also posted " Ship is smaller than others as missing proper barista lounge, executive lounge"

There is Barristas it was confirmed by another person it IS there

none of any of the R ships have an executive lounge, so not sure where she saw one on the other R ships

Also posted the ship is smaller than the others ... REALLY :confused:

I take these reviews with a whopping dose of salt

Food is subjective & a personal preference might be a lot different to my food choices

Edited by LHT28

Hi Cheryl

Thank you so much for your comments. The PH sounds ok. I have an email to say that the PH cabins have been refurbished!! Anyway it's a holiday. We read terrible reviews of RC Legend of the Seas last year after we had booked and we enjoyed it. We like being on holiday and as long as everything is clean and reasonable we are happy!

Cheryl

This one had me wondering if they had even sailed on O before

she also posted " Ship is smaller than others as missing proper barista lounge, executive lounge"

There is Barristas it was confirmed by another person it IS there

none of any of the R ships have an executive lounge, so not sure where she saw one on the other R ships

Also posted the ship is smaller than the others ... REALLY :confused:

I take these reviews with a whopping dose of salt

Food is subjective & a personal preference might be a lot different to my food choices

We take all reviews with a "whopping dose of salt" as well. We are "seasoned" (pardon the pun!) cruisers and do our homework prior to booking anything. Surprising how many don't do the research, blindly book and then complain because a ship and their accommodations have not met their expectations

I have no doubt Sirena will be a wonderful experience for us, in about 3 months! Can't wait!

Edited by nyfeds

• Ship Ok - could not see $40 million refurbishment
  • We are sold on "O" but not the Sirena.
  • This ship was NOT ready to sail....it was not finished....too much work still had to be done.
  • Some someliers know nothing about wines ( terrasse cafe ) and are not interested at all.Not trained?
  • This was our 9th cruise on Oceania. We prefer the smaller R ships to the Marina and Riviera. The door of the desk was hanging by one hinge. The kick plate of the closet was falling off. The wood of the furniture was marred and pieces of the veneer were off. Balcony furniture was cheap Home Depot chairs with no cushion.
  • There was a raw sewage smell throughout the ship on and off in different areas.
  • However, this is not the same cruise line that we sailed in the earlier years.
  • Public restrooms in some cases had soap dispensers not working and no towels.
  • Hot tubs did not work ( no jets) the entire cruise.

these are the ones that concern me the most. I understand that some of the mechanical and training things may be "new sailing and crew syndrome" and will likely be fixed before we sail in November; but, I'm sure glad I didn't have to endure the above list:o

Not really bad, just decidedly mediocre IMHO.

Hi Greg! Hopefully, all issues have been resolved. I can't imagine Oceania not addressing these matters in a very timely manner.

Wish we were cruising with you and Gretchen again! Best from Alan and me.

Edited by nyfeds

Hi Greg! Hopefully, all issues have been resolved. I can't imagine Oceania not addressing these matters in a very timely manner.

Wish we were cruising with you and Gretchen again! Best from Alan and me.

Wish we could cruise together again, too. We've been on O once before and thought that they had the best food at sea...bar none. We're looking forward to hearing about your great cruise and how much you enjoyed Oceania.

Is there any way that you could post a copy of the menu from Tuscan Steak?

I am curious as to which food items from Polo & Toscana were retained and which ones were dropped.

TIA

Here it is hopefully

Sorry can't seem to attach clear photo. - help anyone ?

Edited by Buryfan