What to do? Booked room won't be big enough.

Mainergirl

• 2 weeks later...
Don't be surprised if your cabin does fit 4. Ours said 3 on the website and that was all we needed but surprise there was a pop up cot under one of the beds maki g room to sleep 4. This was the cheapest inside btw. Lol

Update: so incredibly disappointed in NCL. I just got off the phone with one of their representatives (the third this week that I or my husband have spoken to). She informed me that her supervisor (who we asked to call us personally but who just passed her message on) refuses to do anything about this mix up. She reported to me that the room DOES in fact sleep 4 AS LONG AS one of the 4 is a baby. That's their position and they're sticking by it.

She basically had no response regarding NCL's responsibility to provide us with what we paid for. I tried to use the analogy that if you were buying a suit online, and you spent a long time on the phone with the salesperson to confirm that the pants of the suit had the style you liked, and you paid for it only to discover that the suit doesn't come with pants at all. :confused:

As we were speaking, she initially told me there were no rooms left on the ship that could accommodate us, but I could find that there are still three 2 BR suites available when I looked simultaneously. I remarked that it shocked me that NCL would choose to likely let those rooms go empty for the cruise and leave us very unhappy in our existing rooms rather than move us to a 2 BR (and probably be able to sell our existing rooms last minute at a profit). To me this is extraordinarily poor customer service. She then directed me to their Legal Notice which includes the following:

"NCL makes no representation or warranty as to the completeness or accuracy of the information contained in this site. NCL reserves the right to change or modify any of the information contained in this Internet site or to the services described therein, without notice but we make no commitment to update such information. NCL SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES, LOST PROFITS, INJURIES, SAVINGS, OR GOODWILL RESULTING FROM YOUR USE OR INABILITY TO USE INFORMATION PROVIDED FROM THIS SITE. You should therefore verify information obtained from this site before you act upon it by calling NCL or your travel agent, as applicable."

What makes me so sad here is that I DID call and verify the information before I acted on it, and they don't care.

This was supposed to be such a special vacation and now I don't even want to go....:(

Ok so they said your room sleeps 4 if one is a baby. There is a real possibility that there is a trundle under the bed as well as an upper berth

Just board the ship as planned and move one of the kids to the trundle

Alternately if there is no trundle then when you push the twins together to make a queen have your youngest kid sleep with you and the other in the upper. This is really no big deal either so don't listen to naysayers regarding having a kid with you.

Or better yet get a twin air mattress with a built in motor and do not open it just keep it folded in the box in your luggage. Use it for the nights and if the steward questions it just say it's for your back. Dump it in the trash and don't lug it home as they don't fold up well

In order to have space for the air mattress you will need to keep the beds as twins. Btw that's usually where they put the trundle anyway. Right between the twins. I'm not suggesting a sleeping bag because the floors are disgusting and they are too bulky to carry plus it will raise eyebrows

Air mattresses

$40 at target. Slightly less on Amazon and a better selection. I have a twin and a queen extra high one...they are lifesavers at time!!!

I'm laying on one right now under the a/c

If you want all 4 of you in the same cabin you aren't having any privacy anyway. Ands unless you had 2 uppers you won't have any room anyway so just fit it in somewhere. Make it work. You can do it..

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Crusin6

There is no trundle under the bed in 10164. The Queen+ bed in 10164 does not separate. There is no upper berth (Pullman) in 10164.

Unless they bring in a roll-away, that room does not sleep 4 -- baby or otherwise -- in its default configuration.

Edited by triptolemus

There is no trundle under the bed in 10164. The Queen+ bed in 10164 does not separate. There is no upper berth (Pullman) in 10164.

Unless they bring in a roll-away, that room does not sleep 4 -- baby or otherwise -- in its default configuration.

Then you are saying ncl lied to her I guess?

So then my suggestion of putting the youngest in bed with them makes sense. As does the air mattress suggestion. The air mattress assures them there will be room for the parents in the queen. One kid on the bed and one kid on the mattress and the nanny on her own

Problem solved

Edited by Crusin6

She basically had no response regarding ncl's responsibility to provide us with what we paid for.

you did get exactly what you paid for a suite for 3 people and an inside for 2 people.

i tried to use the analogy that if you were buying a suit online, and you spent a long time on the phone with the salesperson to confirm that the pants of the suit had the style you liked, and you paid for it only to discover that the suit doesn't come with pants at all.

using your analagy you got the pants, you have the 2 cabins you booked and can go on your vacation.

:confused:

As we were speaking, she initially told me there were no rooms left on the ship that could accommodate us, but i could find that there are still three 2 br suites available when i looked simultaneously. so pay the difference and get one. They will not go empty, upsells will fill them.

i remarked that it shocked me that ncl would choose to likely let those rooms go empty for the cruise and leave us very unhappy in our existing rooms rather than move us to a 2 br (and probably be able to sell our existing rooms last minute at a profit). They will not go empty, upsells will fill them. [/color]

(

have a nice cruise

Edited by cruzsnooze

Some of the NCL representatives have actually acknowledged their error in telling us that the room could sleep 4, so you can call it lying, though I think it was likely just an error -- but one that the company is making me pay for by taking my $ for a room that is what I asked for/needed. Their error is my problem: that is their message loud and clear.

Yeah, I guess... if that's what they told her. Lied... wrong info... whatever.

Im Referring to post #77

They say a baby will fit and you say it can't hold 4 even if a baby and no trundle

Btw how do you know you are correct? It's you that's saying ncl is giving her incorrect info so please don't defend them with....lied...wrong info..whatever.

If you didn't seem to have 1st hand knowledge of this particular cabin then maybe...I could say ncl is just incorrect but since you are adamant it won't fit a baby and ncl is adamant it will fit a baby ...then either both of you are lying...incorrect..uninformed whatever.

Can't have it both ways...

But since you think you are correct...and so does ncl....someone is wrong or lying or whatever...

Edited by Crusin6

Some of the NCL representatives have actually acknowledged their error in telling us that the room could sleep 4, so you can call it lying, though I think it was likely just an error -- but one that the company is making me pay for by taking my $ for a room that is what I asked for/needed. Their error is my problem: that is their message loud and clear.

Really just bring an air mattress

Im Referring to post #77

They say a baby will fit and you say it can't hold 4 even if a baby and no trundle

Btw how do you know you are correct? It's you that's saying ncl is giving her incorrect info so please don't defend them with....lied...wrong info..whatever.

If you didn't seem to have 1st hand knowledge of this particular cabin then maybe...I could say ncl is just incorrect but since you are adamant it won't fit a baby and ncl is adamant it will fit a baby ...then either both of you are lying...incorrect..uninformed whatever.

Can't have it both ways...

But since you think you are correct...and so does ncl....someone is wrong or lying or whatever...

I've been in the cabin a half dozen times. Again, there is no pullman, no trundle bed. There is a Q+ bed that does not separate and the small(ish) love seat thing that turns into a bed. There are 3 berths in that cabin.

Now, if you want to throw the baby in the bed with the 'rents, or in with whoever is on the love seat thing, then sure, I suppose. I don't know... I don't have kids and I wouldn't assume what others might choose as an acceptable location for their baby.

If they add a roll away, or a crib, a cage, a dog kennel or whatever other form of containment one might use for a baby, then, sure, you get 4.

All I know is cabin 10164 on Jewel class ships has three berths in its default configuration. And I don't know how NCL can say that cabin sleeps 4, but only if one is a baby. That don't work, and as far as I knew, a berth is a berth is a berth.

And I don't know how NCL can say that cabin sleeps 4, but only if one is a baby. That don't work, and as far as I knew, a berth is a berth is a berth.

I couldn't agree more. Fwiw, we don't have a baby -- our youngest is 9

What is a Q+?

I just love the disclaimer about the NCL website :eek::rolleyes: - however the PCCs and other customer service agent SHOULD have correct information - as should the booking computer - however the booking computer was tricked by the placing of the second child in the inside with the Nanny - to avoid the single supplement so there was no foul.

One thing I will say is that most of the people working in the call center have probably never stepped foot on one of the ships.

That said, I have found that once onboard, the room stewards and butlers have ways of working things out - even if it is wall to wall beds at night. Also the main bed in that suite is very big - big enough for 2 adults and a small child.

I really don't think the SC Suite will get you everything you want either - even though it will sleep 6. The nanny would have no privacy if you give the kids the small bedroom and the nanny is on the sofa - and if you keep her in the inside cabin then the single supplement comes back into the picture.

By now there are probably enough notes in your file that even a call to the upsell department would get you anything.

I feel for you, I know I hate being lied to - be it from a website or a person.

Something FDR could do is hire a decent staff to keep the website up to date :(

It is unfortunate that you were given wrong information, however, I can't recall if you ever said if you went and checked on the deck plans after you were told that your room sleeps 4. The deck plans indicate which rooms can sleep 4. This usually indicates the presence of a pullman bed. I doubt the website would say a room sleeps 4 if one of the 4 has to be an infant.

So you did get what you paid for... a room that sleeps 3 and a room that sleeps 2, it's just unfortunate that you were misinformed.

It would be nice if NCL gave you some credit for your trouble, if in fact you were given the wrong info... but I think asking them for a free upgrade to a 2 bedroom suite is asking a bit much.

Hope the situation works out well for you. If nobody will stay in the room with the nanny, and nobody wants to sleep on the floor, I do think a solution would be for your 9 year old to share the bed with you and your husband. The beds are big enough IMO.

So 2 wrongs equal a right ? Bad answer. Very Bad answer.

Nothing wrong with asking about the handicapped suite. It would be wrong to pretend to be handicapped and there's a good chance it's already been booked by someone who needs it. But if it hasn't been specifically booked by a handicapped person, likely someone will end up there and it may as well be this family who wants more room.

So here's a question: if the problem is that they made a mistake / lied to you, and that indeed the room does NOT sleep 4....had they NOT made a mistake / lied to you, what would you have done originally?

If the only option for the configuration you want IS the 2 Bdrm, then what's the issue with paying for it now vs. paying for it originally?

In other words, look past the cause of the problem, and determine whether the solution would have been the same then as it is now..... and then realize you're just annoyed, and move past the "they lied to me" thing, and get the configuration you need - before they're unavailable.

s

It is unfortunate that you were given wrong information, however, I can't recall if you ever said if you went and checked on the deck plans after you were told that your room sleeps 4. The deck plans indicate which rooms can sleep 4. This usually indicates the presence of a pullman bed. I doubt the website would say a room sleeps 4 if one of the 4 has to be an infant.

So you did get what you paid for... a room that sleeps 3 and a room that sleeps 2, it's just unfortunate that you were misinformed.

It would be nice if NCL gave you some credit for your trouble, if in fact you were given the wrong info... but I think asking them for a free upgrade to a 2 bedroom suite is asking a bit much.

Hope the situation works out well for you. If nobody will stay in the room with the nanny, and nobody wants to sleep on the floor, I do think a solution would be for your 9 year old to share the bed with you and your husband. The beds are big enough IMO.

The problem is that the deck plans on the web site show the rooms as sleeping 4 - there is also a disclaimer that info on the website may not reflect reality.

The only place where the error would have been caught is in the booking computer as it will not let you put more than 3 in those rooms

We don't know if the person at NCL tried this and then suggested putting one of the children in with the Nanny - under the guise of saving money or not.

That is in fact how the OP booked it (apparently to save money on a single supplement for the Nanny), but the OP stated above that neither kid actually wants to sleep in the cabin with the Nanny (and frankly, imho, the Nanny should have some privacy), and that the parents want family time with their kids.

Amen to that ... Honestly its irrelevant if the PCC said the room could hold 4 - The OP booked 3 people in the room - The room holds the number of people the OP booked nothing more is owed to them - Seriously why should they get a free upgrade because they decided to be cheap

She basically had no response regarding NCL's responsibility to provide us with what we paid for.

You are getting what you paid for - You paid for 3 people to sleep in a room - and 2 people to sleep in another room

If your so concerned about just have one of your kids sleep on the floor they are young and resilient and will get over it

So then my suggestion of putting the youngest in bed with them makes sense. As does the air mattress suggestion. The air mattress assures them there will be room for the parents in the queen. One kid on the bed and one kid on the mattress and the nanny on her own

Problem solved

Another option would be to let 1 of the 2 parents sleep in the queen size bed with the 2 kids and let the other sleep in the couch bed

This seems like a pretty clear case of the cruise line screwing up, and it sucks that they won't make it right.

The cruise line did not screw up the OP decided to go cheap and put 3 people in one room and 2 people in another room - She got exactly what she paid for

The cruise line should not be having to give out free upgrades because someone decides to book people in separate rooms to save money they are getting exactly what they paid for - If they don't like the room choice then they need to upgrade or downgrade