Pulled the trigger and booked Pride of America

rudikins

Hi guys,

After going back and forth about whether or not to do this for a while, I finally am going for it and booked the Pride of America. Am very excited about it, but booked it semi-last minute, so don't have that much time to plan now.

Can I get your opinion on a few things from those of you who have taken this cruise or know about Hawaii:

-Any recommendations regarding where to stay in Honolulu? We'll be arriving a few days ahead. Would like something with some kind of view and convenient to the cruise port. After reading some Trip Advisor reviews, I went ahead and booked the Hilton Waikiki (not the Hawaiian village, the other one) because I am an HHonors member, and it seemed like a relatively good price ($233 for AAA member.) Wanted to see if there may be an even better option.

-Thinking about renting a car in Maui and/or Kauai. Is this the way to go?

-What do you think are the must see things, or things that you enjoyed most, on each island?

Thanks! :)

A car rental IS the way to go. Hawaii is easy driving, and you can do things on your own schedule. Recommend getting a guidebook on the Islands, so you will know something about this fabulous place! A teensy bit of research will enhance your time there...especially if this is your 1st time...and it sounds like it is! Libraries have guidebooks....hit yours tomorrow!

We rented a privately owned Condo at the Ilikai. For four of us it was much cheaper than two hotel rooms. We had views of the Pacific, the lagoon and Marina, as well as a front row seat to Hilton Hawaiian Village's fireworks on Friday night.

Most definitely rent a car, and sign up for the agency's frequent renters program. Even if you don't rent frequently, it can get you to the head of the line. Check out discount hawaii car rental for best prices we found.

Here are our must see's:

Oahu: Hike Diamond Head, Pearl Harbor, North Shore Beaches. We also Parasailed for the first time, which was phenominal.

Maui: we drove the Hana Highway, all the way around; we would only do it again for some stuff we missed due to a late start and it rained all day!Sunrise on Haleakala and Breakfast at the Kula Lodge on the way down is not to be missed In our opinion!

Hilo: Volcanoes National Park, rainbow Falls, Punalu'u (Black Sand) Beach...we ran out of time to see the Holei sea arch.

Kona: We drove to South Point, (Southern most point in the US) where my Niece jumped off the cliff into the bluest water I've ever seen! The Painted Church and Puuhonua o Hoaunau National historic park.

Kauai: two of our fav's...Mountain Tubing adventure with Kauai Backcountry Adventures. This sells out on Thursday and Friday before the start of the cruise, so if you are interested in this then best to book it as early as possible. it was a lot of fun! Doors-off Helicopter Tour with Mauna Loa helicopter Tours! We cannot recommend either of these enough!

Good Luck with your planning and enjoy your cruise!!

-Any recommendations regarding where to stay in Honolulu? We'll be arriving a few days ahead. Would like something with some kind of view and convenient to the cruise port. After reading some Trip Advisor reviews, I went ahead and booked the Hilton Waikiki (not the Hawaiian village, the other one) because I am an HHonors member, and it seemed like a relatively good price ($233 for AAA member.) Wanted to see if there may be an even better option.

That property is good (we stay there at least once a year - not for cursing :() . It's about 2 blocks from the beach (5 minute walk) right in the heart of Waikiki. If you are a Diamond member, there is free breakfast and evening snacks.

Yes. You'll get to see a lot more for the cost of car rental.

-What do you think are the must see things, or things that you enjoyed most, on each island?

While on Oahu, book at tour to the Arizona Memorial (costs $$$, but because tickets are limited, it is the easiest way to get there). And spend a day at the Polynesian cultural center on the north shore.

Aloha! Have a great cruise.

Edited by BirdTravels

Aloha from Honolulu,

Those above gave great recommendations! :) I just have a few to add from a kama'aina's point of view.

Oahu: Punchbowl (National Memorial of the Pacific-what we nickname the Arlington of the Pacific), walk through downtown Honolulu (the Capitol District with Iolani Palace, the Hawaii State Capitol, Aliiolani Hale-the King Kamehameha statue you probably have seen on H50, and Kawaiaha'o Church), and the financial district (Fort Street Mall for a lot of good and decently proxies food options, Cathedral of our Lady of Peace, and Aloha Tower/Hawaii Pacific University).

Hilo: Drive around in Hilo town! Lots of mom and pop stores, art galleries, and the Pacific Tsunami Museum.

Have a great time in the islands! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Definitely do the mountain ditch tubing adventure on Kauai. Our favorite experience. Very safe and brisk water but you get used to it. We did the tour from the ship on Thursday and glad we did because it rained that night and lava tubes were flooded so Friday's tour was canceled. There is a great luau on Thursday on Kauai but we got back too late from our tubing adventure so they discouraged us from trying to schedule that, too, but people rave about it so another option for you to consider. On Friday we went by shuttle to the shopping mall and had a car tour for 2.5 hours for $50 per person. Took us to the waterfalls and overview of Wailua River. Also to Poipu Beach spouting horn as well as other scenic sites. We thought it was a good deal and set up on a whim. Dropped us at the pier when we were done, too. You can also set up the mountain ditch tubing there at the shopping mall for less cost but not sure how readily available openings are. They do 5 tours a day so possible to do a late afternoon one from there if you don't do the one from the ship. At Hilo, do the Hoppa on Hoppa off bus for $20. They make 6 stops and you can get off and take the next bus that comes through. We went first to Rainbow Falls for a 20 minute stop and the other stops you have to get off. You can get off in Old Hilo to shop. Stops at a couple of parks with monuments. We got off at Richardson's beach and saw sunning sea turtles. You can get really close to them but don't touch or interfere because there is a huge fine if you do. Take a suit along to swim there too if you want to. Caught the next bus through in about 20 minutes. We just walked around on Kona. Needed a quiet day and enjoyed shopping there. As to car rentals, we did one day on Maui and be warned, they tell you to overnight park at the airport to avoid towing and a ticket other places and either get a taxi or shuttle back to the ship. We have done the Maui sunrise bike tour in the past down from Haleakala and think this is a once in a lifetime experience. You go up to Haleakala before sunrise so they pick you up about 2:30 am. Then after you view the spectacular sunrise, you bike down from the top and use the brakes all the way down. Friends of ours did it this trip and loved it! Seriously consider doing it the second day you are there and rent a car for just the first day on Maui. Then you don't have to worry about overnight parking. The Hana road is fun but definitely a tough drive along switchbacks and narrow roads. It will take all day so might be tough to do your first day into port. Hope these suggestions help you out.

Hi guys,

After going back and forth about whether or not to do this for a while, I finally am going for it and booked the Pride of America. Am very excited about it, but booked it semi-last minute, so don't have that much time to plan now.

Can I get your opinion on a few things from those of you who have taken this cruise or know about Hawaii:

We stayed at the Pacific Beach hotel .. it was right on Waikiki and very nice, lots of things (including the beach) within walking distance of the hotel. Just cross the street and you're @ the Beach. On Sat morning I was up early enough to be down @ the beach with my cup of coffee watching the Pride of America sail into port. We came in on Thursday.. went to the Polynesian Cultural Center and North Shore on Friday.... and then went to Pearl Harbor Saturday morning before embarkation - well worth seeing that. We did not worry about staying close to the port because the rental car places have free/courtesy shuttles that will take you to the ship's port as well as the airport. So we got a ride to the port, no problem.

We did rent a car in Maui, they even have a special parking lot if you want to keep it overnight - fenced with a security guard - for the cruise guests right @ the port, again walking distance. Yes, you can rent a car in Kauai .. however we did not. We had a private tour on Thursday, and I stayed on the ship and chilled on Friday while my brother went on an excursion and my mom went shopping (took free shuttles for that).

You will have a fabulous time.. we did this cruise in May 2014 and I am booked to go back next November (2017).:D

Edited by CactusFlower527

Hi guys,

If you haven't visited the Hawaii message board here, you need to. Also, join your Roll Call.

We are Platinum with Hilton and like to book their properties. We stay at the Hilton Hawaiian Village, great location, wide beach, amazing property and they always upgrade us. It does not have the Mangers reception in the evenings like the Hilton and Embassy Suites does with free food and cocktails, free breakfasts, the biggest drawback. Those perks are priceless in Hawaii as a breakfast can run $30 pp. If it's not right on the beach I would not worry. You just want to be somewhere in Waikiki, and everything is pretty walkable.

Definitely use rentals to tour. Most everything is scenic drive up. Book independent tours when you can for better price and experience. Use Trip Advisor for each island, or just google, to find the top rated activities and places. That will give you a good idea of what YOU want to see and do.

On O'ahu, we liked our visit to the Arizona at Pearl Harbor, and there are some very scenic drives. Windward coast is my fave.

Mauai has some great beaches, snorkeling, whale watches in season, the Road to Hana takes pretty much a full day and is better done on a land vacation, IMO. My fave is the drive through the upcountry to the summit of Haleakala.

Hilo, Volcano National Park, a stop by Rainbow Falls. Kona has the most clear and beautiful water, great for snorkeling.

Kauai has the most spectacular scenery, IMO. Waimea Canyon can be do it yourself by car. A helicopter tour highly recommended to see it all as so little can be accessed by road. We did Blue Hawaiian and loved it. Do your research and dont book a company that uses duck tape and has to suddenly abort and return to the airport due to equipment failure. It's here in a trip report;).

Just want to add a comment about overnight parking in Maui and Kauai from our experience in late May as it had only recently changed. There is no longer overnight parking at the pier on either island. In Maui, we parked at the airport ($15) and caught the car rental shuttle back to the pier. We used a 24 hour cab service to get back to the airport to catch the sunrise because the car rental shuttles don't start up until ~8Am. We were at the AP ~ 3AM to head up to Haleakala for Sunrise). I do not recall the name, but there were only two and the first one was booked for a private tour all morning. We were told the overnight parking in Kauai was nearby the peir, but opted to turn our car in early so I cannot speak from experience about Kauai. Hopefully someone else who's sailed in June can help with that info.

Just want to add a comment about overnight parking in Maui and Kauai from our experience in late May as it had only recently changed. There is no longer overnight parking at the pier on either island. In Maui, we parked at the airport ($15) and caught the car rental shuttle back to the pier. We used a 24 hour cab service to get back to the airport to catch the sunrise because the car rental shuttles don't start up until ~8Am. We were at the AP ~ 3AM to head up to Haleakala for Sunrise). I do not recall the name, but there were only two and the first one was booked for a private tour all morning. We were told the overnight parking in Kauai was nearby the peir, but opted to turn our car in early so I cannot speak from experience about Kauai. Hopefully someone else who's sailed in June can help with that info.

Good to know about 'no overnight parking' on Maui...

For the hotel, you say you want a view but don't mention if you want your room to have a view or not...If you're talking about room with an ocean view as I'm sure you have researched ocean view rooms tend to be at least $100/night more. Also will need to know your exact nightly budget, you state $233 currently but do not let us know if that's the base rate without fees and taxes or if there's resort fees (Hilton started charging $27/day and calls it hotel accommodation fee)

The cheapest quality option is a priceline express/hotwire offer where you can book an oceanview room...Heart of Waikiki 4* and above you'll be in good shape...It may or may not be available for your dates, I'm going out on the 8/27 cruise and there wasn't a Oceanview option for either room, yet there was the weekend before.

Thanks, all! This is extremely good info and very helpful to me in my planning.

Regarding Haleakala, we are not early risers and no one seems to want to wake up for the sunrise. Is it still worth it to take a drive up there during the day and maybe catch the sunset instead? LOL

Also, my daughter requested that we do a luau. Checked the Hale Koa, but when I called, they said military only. Any other options that you liked? Would like to do it on Oahu if possible prior to the cruise since we have all our meals/dinners paid for once we get on the ship; however, I do see that Old Lahaina Luau on Maui seems to be very popular.

Edited by rudikins

Regarding Haleakala, we are not early risers and no one seems to want to wake up for the sunrise. Is it still worth it to take a drive up there during the day and maybe catch the sunset instead? LOL

Also, my daughter requested that we do a luau. Checked the Hale Koa, but when I called, they said military only. Any other options that you liked? Would like to do it on Oahu if possible prior to the cruise since we have all our meals/dinners paid for once we get on the ship; however, I do see that Old Lahaina Luau on Maui seems to be very popular.

Haleakala is my favorite place in Maui. Not "volcanic" looking at all, ( except for the crater itself ) but lush and green, with huge trees. I have never done a sunrise or sunset on Haleakala and never felt like I have missed anything. We always drive up in the morning and it is a beautiful drive through upcountry as the elevation increases and the views along the way are spectacular. You can see virtually the entire island laid out before you. After we spend some time at the crater, we head down and then continue on through the up country to the winery and then back track taking a detour through some lovely country and ending up in Pa'ia which is at the start of the Highway to Hana. Sometimes we have a special meal at Mama's Fish House before returning to the ship, which is just a few miles away.

You could do Haleakala and then head toward Lahaina and do the luau which is highly rated. Probably better than the ones on O'ahu. In fact, I think some of the O'ahu performers actually fly out to the POA and do some shows on the ship, so you could actually see them for free.;). Most first timers to Hawaii want to see a luau, but many of them see one and would probably never go again, so if it does not work out, it is really not a big deal.

If you have a chance on O'ahu, walk to the Haleukulani Hotel and look for the "House Without a Key" bar and restaurant. Sit beachfront on the lawn under the huge Kiawe tree and watch the sunset while live Hawaiian music is played and former Miss Hawaii's sing and dance. You can order drinks only, or pupus (appetizers), or a full meal. The show starts at 5:30 and is free. Come early to get under the tree and near the performers. Check Trip Advisor, very highly rated.

Edited by punkincc

We were on the POA in December2015, and stayed at the Hilton Waikiki Village in one of the Grand Vacation Towers.

We did the Chief's Luau at Sea Life Park, on the Thursday night before the cruise. They have 3 different levels of seating which determine how you get your food, the top level actually is table service, so you don't have to fight the buffet line. The 2nd tier is priority access to the buffet. There are a lot of activities before the meal including hula lessons, straw hat making & spear throwing. Depending on the package that you choose, you also may get some time in the Sea Life park itself.

The food was not the greatest, but it was slightly better than I have had at other luaus. The show was fantastic, and since it was my birthday I got to go up on the stage. We also went up because it was our anniversary, and we were one of the longest married couples there.

You can drive there yourself (it's about a 1/2 hour drive), but we bought the transportation package and traveled in a Roberts bus.

Haleakala has a visitor center and flora and fauna neat .. got lots of cool pictures there. The Crater can only be seen on a clear day. The day we went - it was overcast and crater was full of "clouds" so you couldn't see much. I'm still glad I went , but it's a long drive up and back down. Just depends on how important it is to you to "see" the Crater.

We did the road to Hana and then drove up the mountain for the sunset. It was very cold (we wrapped ourselves in towels) and the sun went down quickly, but was very pretty (and didn't involve getting up at crack of dawn). We were there three years ago, and at that time we were back too late to park in the lot and we parked at the 24 hour pharmacy and walked to the ship.

Since you have a AAA membership, you can get a decent guidebook from them.

If you have a Costco membership, bring your card. Gas was way cheaper, and they sell souvenir items such as macadamia nut Hershey Kisses and Kona coffee. I remember I picked up Christmas cards and a nice set of tropical teas.

If you can book a tour ahead of time for Pearl Harbor, spring for the audio guide. I think it was worth it. I know the day we went, they did not have any availability for the boat for anyone not pre-reserved.

Definitely check out the port boards; I know back then I found lots of info that helped save money!

Great tips. I would work my Luau around other wants....there are good ones on all Islands..just pick one with good reviews...my favorite was in the Kona area between there and the fancy hotels....one of top 2 ones but not looking it up to stick to my advice about just picking a good to great rated one on whatever Island it works best...they all have pros and cons...

I am dying to do more in Caribbean because I adore tropical Hawaii so much. I hate that it is so much more per person to cruise there,,,but it is a great way to get your first taste and decide about going back. The issue is there is no best Island to me and it has been too long ago now, 2008...folks 50th...wonderful Kona trip...priceless time as mom is now gone. You simply can not go wrong..each island is different and beautiful and there is something about it...if you love it..it will never stop calling you..always happy to hear about peoples first times. I do love the beach at Hilton Hawaiian Village..but it is often more spendy for breakfast with the deals.....enjoy and try to do some snorkling on Maui if you like that...Kona is good...I think Maui is better. Also a safe helicopter outfit in Kauai, I second that for best helicopter splurge Island...that coastline and full mountain range view is missed any other way but a special zodiac raft type trip that can be rough and it is to die for...but you just have to return and no trip is as special as your first, do some soaking it up with a drink and views you will enjoy that alot from ship..I may still do a cruise there yet, even though have been quite a few times by land, would be nice to see it all close together...It is simply the heart of the USA and a dream..have a wonderful trip. I also think road to Hana is best as a Land trip..they used to have flight excursions..but spendy..I did once by air and was great to get to sacred pools before people. The drive upcountry as mentioned is great..and you can go as far as crater good anytime..however much is visable...like Kauai copter..some misty areas happen. Pick very reputable copter firm and good to great choices on other things and you will be fine. Mama's fish house would be an amazing "off ship" dinner on Maui...it is very good and delightful setting..not everyone gets there. You just can't go wrong...it is heaven...Bon Voyage.

Edited by sjn911

We stayed at the Hilton Wiakiki for three nights prior to our cruise on the POA and loved it. It's only about a 5 minute walk to the beach with a beach chair / umbrella vender right as you enter the beach. Try to get a room on an upper floor if possible as there is street noise. Local busses stop right in front of the hotel if you don't want to walk downtown.