Airport Transfers

EmmasNana

I am considering an airport transfer from carnival at the end of our cruise out of New York.

My question would be does everyone leave the ship at the same time or do they have several time options available to choose from. I would be in no hurry to debark as my flight does not leave LGA until 2:45.

If you have used an airport transfer at the end of your cruise, please let me know your experience.

You're supposed to get off the ship as they call your zone. You will be given your zone tags the day before the cruise ends.

You put these tags on your luggage the night before, that way, when you get off the ship, you know where to find your luggage.

However, you don't "have" to get off the ship when they call your zone. We always have late flights and are the last off the ship. About 10:30 or so. We clear out of the cabin by 7 or 7:30 so the room steward can take over and start prep work for the next group of passengers.

We'll go up to lido for breakfast, then take our coffee over to an area where we can watch 2500 people fight, push, and shove to get off the ship. Very entertaining and educational study on human behavior.

The transfer buses run all morning. Each bus leaves full.

You're supposed to get off the ship as they call your zone. You will be given your zone tags the day before the cruise ends.

You put these tags on your luggage the night before, that way, when you get off the ship, you know where to find your luggage.

However, you don't "have" to get off the ship when they call your zone. We always have late flights and are the last off the ship. About 10:30 or so. We clear out of the cabin by 7 or 7:30 so the room steward can take over and start prep work for the next group of passengers.

We'll go up to lido for breakfast, then take our coffee over to an area where we can watch 2500 people fight, push, and shove to get off the ship. Very entertaining and educational study on human behavior.

The transfer buses run all morning. Each bus leaves full.

Good to know thanks! How do you know when the last bus will be? If I leave the ship at 10 or 10:30 there will still be a bus to catch? I don't want to wait so late that I will miss the last bus.

Do you have to buy this transfer when you book the cruise? We are already booked on a cruise in Oct leaving from Fort Lauderdale - we are renting a car pre-cruise, and was going to Uber/Cab to airport, however, the Carnival transfer might be easier?? Anyone know how much it costs and if I can reserve this after my initial cruise booking?

Thanks!

Cheers,

Jeff aka Recovery Dude

Do you have to buy this transfer when you book the cruise? We are already booked on a cruise in Oct leaving from Fort Lauderdale - we are renting a car pre-cruise, and was going to Uber/Cab to airport, however, the Carnival transfer might be easier?? Anyone know how much it costs and if I can reserve this after my initial cruise booking?

Thanks!

Cheers,

Jeff aka Recovery Dude

When you go to Manage My Cruise there will be a cruise check list. Under that you will find Airport Transfers. It will tell you what the fee is. You can purchase anytime as long as they are available.

It will likely be more expensive than uber. I would never use the cruise service except I have read it can be difficult to get a taxi at the NY port.

Edited by EmmasNana

Last year, in Miami, we purchased the bus transfer on our way OUT of the Port Terminal. They did mistakenly charge me to go to Ft. L, instead of Miami Airport, but not huge $$ and no difficulty getting a seat.

I am considering an airport transfer from carnival at the end of our cruise out of New York.

My question would be does everyone leave the ship at the same time or do they have several time options available to choose from. I would be in no hurry to debark as my flight does not leave LGA until 2:45.

If you have used an airport transfer at the end of your cruise, please let me know your experience.

They call people off by zone #.

Good to know thanks! How do you know when the last bus will be? If I leave the ship at 10 or 10:30 there will still be a bus to catch? I don't want to wait so late that I will miss the last bus.

There is no time for last bus as they have a list of names and would likely wait for you before sending the bus on the way. Even if you were super late for whatever reason they most likely have a van/taxi working for them that they would set you up with if need be.

There is no time for last bus as they have a list of names and would likely wait for you before sending the bus on the way. Even if you were super late for whatever reason they most likely have a van/taxi working for them that they would set you up with if need be.

One of the negatives about Carnival's shuttle bus service is that you have to wait for the bus to fill before leaving.

Now imagine the glare people get when they are the last ones to board and kept the bus waiting another 15 or 20 minutes!

LGA recommends arriving at least 2 hours earlier than your flight time, 3 hours if in peak time. Exceptions to this are if you are TSA PreCheck, Global Entry or known traveler.

Add in the drive time from seaport to airport of between 1/2 hour to 1 hour, and your bus should be leaving no later than 10:30, meaning you need to start debarking by 10.

It's better for my peace of mind to kill time at the airport gate rather than remain on the ship.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Jeff aka Recovery Dude

Jeff, I just got off the Conquest in FLL Saturday, there were Carnival employees selling shuttle bus seats as soon as I exited Customs. I didn't want to wait for the bus to fill since I was one of the first to get off the ship (Diamond perk- yay) and had an 11AM flight, so I just grabbed a cab for $15 plus tip.

It's only about a 10 or 15 minute drive to the FLL airport, so I had my breakfast there with plenty of time to spare. Bob

I haven't seen them Mary but not to say they are not there.

In New York I always take the Carnival transfer to make things easy. I know some people pre-book shuttle companies but often a hassle with too much luggage.

When I booked the other day to EWR it said flights between 1 and 7 pm. $30 (US of course)

I haven't seen them Mary but not to say they are not there.

In New York I always take the Carnival transfer to make things easy. I know some people pre-book shuttle companies but often a hassle with too much luggage.

When I booked the other day to EWR it said flights between 1 and 7 pm. $30 (US of course)

Carnival transfers are always more pricely. I know they have them from the airport to the port and maybe about $17 or $18pp but not sure if they are also waiting at the port to go to the airport.

Edited by mississauga

Thanks!

Cheers,

Jeff aka Recovery Dude

Airport transfers to return tothe airport can be purchased onboard at Guest Services. Cost depends on which port.

Haven't sailed out of NY, so not sure about ship transfers there - just wanted to say to those who have mentioned sailings out of Ft Laud & Miami - taxi is cheaper & quicker than ship transfer. Did one in Miami - 2 hours before we left the airport and at least half of that waiting outside in the airport pickup lane with heat, sun & fumes.

We did it when we first started cruising and quickly found them overpriced and slow when you have to wait for bus to fill up.

It really depends on which port you're in. In a few ports, such as Galveston and Port Canaveral, Carnival transfers are the best way to go IMO. Other ports that are closer to the airport, like Miami and Fort Lauderdale, a taxi is usually the best way to transfer. Consider too some cruisers cruise solo and some taxi drivers can be pretty shady looking, so especially for female solo cruisers, a Carnival transfer can feel safer.

LGA recommends arriving at least 2 hours earlier than your flight time, 3 hours if in peak time. Exceptions to this are if you are TSA PreCheck, Global Entry or known traveler.

Add in the drive time from seaport to airport of between 1/2 hour to 1 hour, and your bus should be leaving no later than 10:30, meaning you need to start debarking by 10.

It's better for my peace of mind to kill time at the airport gate rather than remain on the ship.

Lately I've seen the TSA pre-check lines to be longer than the regular lines. In some airports and at some travel times, the only real advantage to using TSA pre-check line is that you don't have to take your shoes off. :-) When I cruised to Seattle in June, the TSA pre-check line was longer than the regular line.

With a 2:45 flight out of LGA would not be looking to spend too much extra time on board. Mid day getting from the pier to LGA could easily take 90 mins.