Formal night attire for teen boy?

moongal

Perhaps a selling point for him wearing khakis would be to remind him that graduation is coming up, and job interviews, and adult life in general. A nice pair of pants creates a good impression. Jeans are great for a lot of things, but a well-dressed man in khakis or dress pants, with a button-down shirt and a tie, as you mentioned....he'll go far!

My son is also a big fan of jeans, or shorts, but he does have a couple of pairs of dress pants or khakis, and I have to say, when he wears them....well, it makes my mama's heart proud!

Well said! I also agree it is nice to have the family pictures, the girls like it, it us just as easy to put on khakis as it is jeans.

We got my son's slacks at Goodwill, as he grew so quickly spending money was a waste.

The Corporation I work for has 55K employees. This past spring they moved to adopting jeans in to the dress code. I only take advantage on "dress down" day, still electing to dress above the minimum. 3 weeks ago I spent a week at corporate HQ and I was definitely in the minority wearing khakis and having a sport coat with me. Not that looking nice will be bad for my career, but it sure is a sign of the times.

:(

I hate that people these days have forgotten all about enclothed cognition (if they ever even knew about it).

I personally expect my children to dress to the dress code at the very least. I encourage them to dress one click above (and they usually love doing so).

The point is jeans are allowed. OP won't have an issue. This is very simple.

Are you going to be personally responsible when they encounter a ship that actually follows the corporate established dress code and asks him to go change when he tries to enter the MDR wearing jeans? Better to be prepared than not. IF there hasn't been any recent cases in 2016 where someone has tried to enter the MDR wearing jeans but was stopped then I believe your adamancy would hold much more water.

Are you going to be personally responsible when they encounter a ship that actually follows the corporate established dress code and asks him to go change when he tries to enter the MDR wearing jeans? Better to be prepared than not. IF there hasn't been any recent cases in 2016 where someone has tried to enter the MDR wearing jeans but was stopped then I believe your adamancy would hold much more water.[/QUOT I used to dress up for elegant night ,But the last 5 cruises ,over 5 years I have started wearing jeans on Elegant night ,never turned away ,Last year on The Magic there were shorts and t-shirts in The MDR on Elegant night ,They were not turned away ..
Edited by Crusin Hogs

Are you going to be personally responsible when they encounter a ship that actually follows the corporate established dress code and asks him to go change when he tries to enter the MDR wearing jeans? Better to be prepared than not. IF there hasn't been any recent cases in 2016 where someone has tried to enter the MDR wearing jeans but was stopped then I believe your adamancy would hold much more water.

Rules are rules and based on the current description in the fun times, you can wear jeans (not cut off jeans) on elegant night. For better or worse, that's the rule. Take it or leave it.

Since there is a big difference between "jeans" and denim trousers I don't think there should be any debate here. Jeans, by definition, are casual, work type clothing made of heavy cotton or denim. The intent of the dress code "seems" to be to discourage the wearing of clothing better suited to digging ditches, painting houses, riding horses. "Dress jeans" are totally intended to be worn for events other than work or sports projects. Just because they are made of denim, are often "blue" doesn't equate them with the overalls a farmer wears to work.

Nothing, for me, is more sexy than a guy with muscular thighs and a flat butt wearing a pair of dress "jeans" with some ostrich cowboy boots and a button down shirt with sleeves rolled to the elbow. Don't think I'd be sending him back to the cabin to change into sloppy khakis.

Common sense should dictate that "dress codes" be interpreted based on the intent rather than the words. If we were to take all things "literally" in life than I hate to think about the guy wearing "black tie" and his birthday suit. His response of "I'm following the dress code" would be absolutely correct.

Rules are rules and based on the current description in the fun times, you can wear jeans (not cut off jeans) on elegant night. For better or worse, that's the rule. Take it or leave it.

and here is the website:

Lido Restaurant

For those who want casual attire for dinner, the Lido Restaurant is open nightly and has a more relaxed theme. Daytime Attire may be worn.

The Steakhouse

The dress requirements for the Steakhouse follows the dress code specified for the Main Dining Room(s); if the evening is specified as 'Cruise Casual', shorts are not permitted.

Main Dining Room(s)

Following is the dress code in the Main Dining Room(s) for both men and women and pertains to children as well:

Cruise Casual Dress Code

Men: sport slacks, khakis, Jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long) and collared polo shirts

Women: summer dresses, casual skirts, pants, capris, dress shorts, Jeans (no cut-offs) blouses and tops

Not permitted: Cut-off Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo

Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown

Not permitted: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Cruise Elegant Evenings

The length of the cruise determines the number of 'Cruise Elegant' evenings in the Dining Room. The first 'Cruise Elegant' evening is scheduled for the 2nd or 3rd evening of the cruise and the second 'Cruise Elegant' evening is scheduled for the 2nd or 3rd evening prior to the end of the cruise, schedules permitting.

Edited by First and Ten

and here is the website:

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo

Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown

Not permitted: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

OK...where does it say you can wear khakis, a silk hawaiian shirt, polo shirt for elegant night?

Where does it say women can wear black cotton slacks? What is a pantsuit? What makes a blouse elegant (sparklies? so I could wear a tee shirt as long as it has a sparkly logo)?

C'mn....use your god-given common sense, folks. It's not a hard thing to do.

I'd let him know the rules and offer to buy a pair of cheap khakis (don't spend much if he won't wear them anywhere else), but I'd give him the alternative of eating on Lido by himself if he does choose jeans and gets turned away. That way, it's still his decision.

Honestly, at his age, I'd worry about and focus on other things. Dress codes are just kind of silly, in my opinion. Guidelines are a much better thing.

Admittedly, I'm a rebel about dress codes. I'm a lawyer and I almost never wear a suit. :)

My 17 year old son is the same, but for him it's gym shorts. We live in Florida so are rarely out of shorts except maybe a few days in the winter. However, he has those khaki pants for occasions when he cannot wear them, like this. They are packed and ready to go.

Ok thanks for the info. My son wasn't complaining at all about dressing up, that wasn't the issue. Just really didn't want to have to lug more clothes and dress shoes etc.

I'll tell him to pack his best black jeans and nice button down shirt and tie and I bet we will be good to go. If not, well the world won't stop spinning I'm sure and we will find something to eat somewhere.

To avoid the chance of being turned away at the dining room, I would suggest dark black jeans (not old, faded or ripped knees) with a nice button down shirt or the suit pants you mentioned with a nice button down shirt. No tie or jacket needed.

I insisted my son NOT wear jeans to MDR. He protested but put on slacks. On the way to the MDR we were behind a group of men, one had on overalls! and 3 others in jeans. It wasn't elegant night but all were allowed in.

OP, you son could get a nice photo as well.

Edited by crusinpsychRN

Main Dining Room(s)

Following is the dress code in the Main Dining Room(s) for both men and women and pertains to children as well:

I am a firm believer of teaching children that rules should be followed, and it doesn't matter if everyone else in the room chooses not to, it's important to respect the process. If they don't like a rule, work to change it, but don't blatantly disregard it.

I have said this over and over when people post regarding the rules. I am not the fashion police. What you wear doesn't effect me however if you are breaking that rule, what other rule are you not following that might effect me?

I have said this over and over when people post regarding the rules. I am not the fashion police. What you wear doesn't effect me however if you are breaking that rule, what other rule are you not following that might effect me?

I am sure that EVERYONE picks and chooses which rules or codes or even laws that they will take literally and follow to the T. Doesn't mean that they are intent on breaking every rule, code, or law. Thinking they will says more about your distrust of society as a whole than it does about anyone else.

Guess that when I drove 78 mph in a 75 mph zone this week means I just might as well drive a 100 and run every stop sign, too. Break one, might as well break them all.

Ok thanks for the info. My son wasn't complaining at all about dressing up, that wasn't the issue. Just really didn't want to have to lug more clothes and dress shoes etc.

I'll tell him to pack his best black jeans and nice button down shirt and tie and I bet we will be good to go. If not, well the world won't stop spinning I'm sure and we will find something to eat somewhere.

So what shoes is he going to wear with the jeans? My boys wore khakis and dark tennis shoes with nice polo shirts on Carnival for casual nights. Dress pants and shirts for formal night. On Celebrity it was suits. Just because they wear khakis doesn't require another pair of shoes. Surely one pair of pants doesn't take up that much space. But hey, you're going to do what you want anyway.

Edited by firemanbobswife

Without being the fashion police, wouldn't it be nice if parents looked to enforce the rules on their children. Your teenage son will soon be leaving the nest and a good example would be a lot better than a way to skim the rules. Of course, someone isn't going to fault you or stop you for "your" interpretation of the rules. Only one knows if they have passed on the right meanings in life to their own. Hopefully the guy at the next table in the tuxedo t-shirt and billybob teeth won't put him down for wearing jeans.

FWIW, on our last cruise on the Conquest, My husband accidentally left his dress pants & shirts behind. When I went to unpack, he had dress shoes, tie & belt, but no slacks, dress shirt. At first port I was able to find a gauzy button down collared shirt, but no long pants, so the only long pants he had were the jeans he arrived in.

Tried to make a reservation in the steak house for the second elegant night, and mentioned this. I was told he would not be allowed in the steak house on elegant night in jeans, but that the jeans/shirt/tie combo would be ok in the MDR.

Edited by jma624

My 17 year old grandson has always had a suit for special occasions. He is not crazy about the idea but will wear it to Elegant Night. In my opinion, teaching him that rules don't apply to him, or don't matter is not a terrific message. PS - tell your son that the girls like the young men dressed up.

Edited by dave_k58

OK...where does it say you can wear khakis, a silk hawaiian shirt, polo shirt for elegant night?

Where does it say women can wear black cotton slacks? What is a pantsuit? What makes a blouse elegant (sparklies? so I could wear a tee shirt as long as it has a sparkly logo)?

C'mn....use your god-given common sense, folks. It's not a hard thing to do.

Dutch, I agree with you when you say use your god given common sense....the rules specifically say Jeans are not permitted on Elegant night. Wouldn't even a modicum of common sense would tell someone don't wear jeans to the MDR on Elegant evenings? why all the effort to look for a loophole? DONT DO IT....SIMPLE....and if you must wear jeans, fine....go to the Lido deck for dinner....no problem....sheesh

Edited by First and Ten

You tell me

Dutch, I agree with you when you say use your god given common sense....the rules specifically say Jeans are not permitted on Elegant night. Wouldn't even a modicum of common sense would tell someone don't wear jeans to the MDR on Elegant evenings? why all the effort to look for a loophole? DONT DO IT....SIMPLE....and if you must wear jeans, fine....go to the Lido deck for dinner....no problem....sheesh

Please define "jeans", "dress pants", pantsuits.

No where does it say women can wear slacks, only pantsuits.

No where does it say women can wear tshirts with sparklies.

But...like I said earlier if you insist on reading everything as black and white and totally literally I'm not going to argue with you...even though others may not interpret things the way you do.

Hopefully you won't be at the MDR door as the "rules" police on the OPs cruise...that is the only way a nice pair denim slacks would be turned away.