Table for 2, 4, 6, or 8! Which might we appreciate?

ams cruiser

We prefer the table for two at dinner. We like to be adventurous at breakfast or tea and sit at a big table :D

I never thought of that! (inexperienced cruiser here) This actually brings up another question. Where do people generally eat breakfast and lunch? I've read there is a buffet that can get pretty busy on port mornings.

That sounds like a good compromise!

Waiting for others at a large table sounds like a difficult situation for everyone, but especially the servers. If you're going to go to a specialty dinner, say you get a reservation in the morning for that evening, what's the best way to let the dining room know you won't be there? Can you call in or do you just stop by?

Never know what you will get:cool:

Just a stab in the dark here

I think we have dined with others 8 times

Most were not people we would hang out with after a meal.

I know many have made life long friends.....

the last carnival, we sat very near to a couple, and we were all laughing and smiling.....all the way for 2 nites

Since then , just the two of us, so we could eat quicker, take a nap and go dance!

I like the part about eating quicker and taking a nap!:)

It's a personal thing. We have tried 2, 4, 6, 8. All different. If you wish to be alone the choice is obvious. The best fun we ever had was with 8...not one of the other passengers were from the same country we almost had the lights turned out on us. The worst was 4 as the other couple were so boring and their table manners had to be seen, we had to ask to be moved. Now prefer anytime dining and you can pick a different size table every night. Go with how you feel comfortable but definitely avoid a table for 4.

Oh, I never thought about Anytime Dining. Do you have to wait a long time for tables? One of the things I liked about our cruise many years ago was getting to know the servers. This was a Disney cruise, and they were so good with the kids, and the grandmas!

If you have just booked now for later this summer the odds of getting a table for two are very very slim; usually requests surpass availability shortly after a cruise opens for booking 18-24 months out. And it would be a great surprise if the 6PM main early seating is not waitlisted; booking after final payment date (as you are sailing Alaska this summer it is certainly within 75 days) means long odds for you to clear it. Your TA should have given you realistic expectations making it abundantly clear that booking so close to sailing you need to decide what to request immediately, and that if you prefer fixed seating you will likely only be able to choose between the 5:15 extra early or the 8:15 late seatings.

As a frequent last-minute cruiser I have also found that when I request a six-top we usually get assigned to an eight, and vice-versa.

Thanks for the warning, but fortunately, this is for summer of 2017.

I know this trip is over a year away, but I don't like to procrastinate, even with my worrying!

We're exactly the opposite. A table of 6 or 8 for dinner, but only a table for 2 for breakfast and lunch. Especially at breakfast, I do not want to be sociable until I'm on the outside of a full pot of tea.

I'm not a morning person (although DH is) so that is definitely something to consider!

I think that's some poor advice. 2-tops are always very popular.

When I was on carribbean, there was a waiting list of 45 couples

for 2-tops. This was on the second day, after they had accomodated

everyone they could.

Wow, thanks for letting me know. I was worried that it might not be as easy as it sounded.

If two persons are dining the best table size is six. Table for two is ok if you want to dine alone. A table for four works if the two couples are amicable. A table for eight or above makes it difficult to converse with guests on the opposite side of the table.

This is what my TA said. Now how do you make sure you get seated with only amicable people?:)

Edited by ams cruiser

Yes, you can't always converse with everyone at a table for 8, at least on the same night. However switching positions around the table each night, so you are sitting next to different people each night, means that you are able to have some great conversations with those different people each night.

The danger with requesting a table for 6 is that you may end up with only one other couple at your table. That can still happen with a table for 8 but you have a better chance of getting at least six people at your table.

That could be awkward. So if some people don't show up, the seats just remain empty?

We always request a table for 8, but sometimes get one for 6. Often not all show up for dinner and often 8 becomes 6. We enjoy the variety of people but be aware that the bigger the table the longer it would take to finish the meal, so if you're not in a hurry, then 8 is good. We don't care how long dinner takes since at home we're always a table for 2 :) and eat too quickly. So for us, it's part of the vacation, slow dinner and socializing.

Interesting perspective, and the first vote for a table of 8! I guess one advantage of a larger group is that you could always try to sit next to different people at the table. The idea of the pace of the meal is definitely something to ponder.

We're always a table for 2 at home these days at well, so I can see how it would be nice to broaden our circle.:)

My thoughts exactly. Same goes for a table for 10, as far as conversing. On our last cruise, we were disappointed to find ourselves at a 10-top instead of an 8-top, but it turned out to be the best group ever. We just made a point of changing positions at the table every evening. We had soo much fun.

ams cruiser, love your thread title. Very clever. :D

Thanks, beckntom!

I really like the idea of changing positions at the table so you can talk to different people.

My thoughts exactly. Same goes for a table for 10, as far as conversing. On our last cruise, we were disappointed to find ourselves at a 10-top instead of an 8-top, but it turned out to be the best group ever. We just made a point of changing positions at the table every evening. We had soo much fun.

ams cruiser, love your thread title. Very clever. :D

Six or eight is good for us. Once we had a table for eight but it included a family with two young kids. We'll ask to be changed if we have kids at our table again. It ended up that the family only came the first couple of nights. We thought they had totally dropped out, but then the parents came the last two nights. We enjoyed them a lot more without the children.

I love kids, and work with kids, but sometimes enjoy just having adult conversation.

Only you can answer that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup, and that's why I love Cruise Critic. It's so great to ask for advice and to hear so many different perspectives. My only problem is that with each response I read, I think, "Wow, that's a good idea!", but then go on to the next one which might be totally the opposite and think, "Gee, that's a really good point as well!"

I'm with you--I like kids but I didn't go on a cruise to sit with other people's children now that mine are grown.

It makes me remember my first ever cruise. After the long day of getting to the port, etc. (which seemed like a much bigger deal then than it is now), we found that we were seated with two children who exhibited rude, obnoxious behavior that night. I'm trying to give them a break and assume a stressful day as well, but it was so bad that I left the dining room after about 10 minutes. I would rather go without food than tolerate their behavior! And that line had no room service or other options for dinner. Fortunately, that family asked to be moved and we were free from them for the rest of the cruise.

I never thought of that! (inexperienced cruiser here) This actually brings up another question. Where do people generally eat breakfast and lunch? I've read there is a buffet that can get pretty busy on port mornings.

My husband and I have room service breakfast every day in our cabin. Always a 2-top! :) Lunch in the buffet.

Now as to dinner arrangements: (Though we've only had one Princess cruise, I think our experiences on other lines may also be informative.)

We have had completely different experiences in the dining room each time we have cruised. On our first cruise (Celebrity Infinity) we chose late fixed seating, and requested an 8-top. We got an 8-top, but one couple never appeared at the table, and another came the first night and never reappeared. So we ended up spending every dinner with the one remaining couple. As it happened, the four of us got along famously, and I was teary-eyed saying good-bye to them at the end of the cruise!

On our second cruise, on Carnival Fascination, we again chose late fixed seating, and (I think) requested a 6-top. We were assigned a rectangular booth with one other couple. Though we did not become fast friends with our companions, our dinners together were pleasant. Sometimes all four of us conversed, and sometimes we conversed as two separate couples. The latter was facilitated by the fact that each of us sat next to, not across from, our spouse, so we could easily speak in low tones without disturbing the other couple.

The best cruise dining experience we ever had was on our third cruise, on HAL Zuiderdam, when we moved from a 6-top because we could not tolerate our snooty, know-it-all table companions. Though we did not realize it at first, we were actually moved from a fixed to a flexible dining section of the DR -- when we arrived at dinner the first night at our new table, the waiter asked us if we minded if others were seated with us. We said we did not mind, though we preferred to be alone together. And alone together we were -- just the two of us at a rectangular 8-top -- for the entire 10-night cruise! Because we hadn't realized we were no longer in the fixed seating area of the dining room, we arrived at dinner at the same time every night and sat at the same table, just as we would have done in fixed seating. We therefore had the same fabulous wait staff every night, whom we got to know well, and because we were the only ones at the table, our waiter and assistant waiter had plenty of extra time to spend with us. We also got to know the sommelier, the dining room manager, the head waiter and the maitre d', and apparently made a positive impression on them, as they recommended us to the captain to dine with him later in the week. (Now, the captain's 9-top was by far the best table we've ever had! ;))

Our fourth cruise, on Caribbean Princess, was our first foray into flexible dining. Some evenings we requested a 2-top, and other evenings larger tables. We found some extremely enjoyable table companions, and some less enjoyable ones. Our most fabulous experience was, unfortunately, our last dinner onboard! I would have loved to have made a date to dine with those folks again! It was an 8-top, and everybody at the table was engaging and seemed to find everyone else fascinating! Conversation flowed.

Our flexible dining experience did agree with observations others have made on this thread, that the larger the table, the more difficult conversation can become, but that is really only a problem if the most interesting people at the table are the ones farthest from you. It is just as easy to talk to the folks on either side of you at a big table as at a small one.

I have read on these boards that you can use the flexible seating concept kind of like fixed seating by making a reservation for a particular table at a particular time every night. That way you could get the size table you prefer and the same wait staff every night. Of course, your table companions will vary, but that is advantageous if you don't hit it off with some of them. If you do hit it off with particular table companions, you can always agree to dine together other evenings.

In your situation, I would consider testing the waters by signing up for flexible seating. That way each evening you can try different size tables to find out which works best for you. On Caribbean Princess, we never dined before 8, and did not experience long waits. I cannot speak to waits for other dining times, or on other ships.

I'm with you--I like kids but I didn't go on a cruise to sit with other people's children now that mine are grown.

It makes me remember my first ever cruise. After the long day of getting to the port' date=' etc. (which seemed like a much bigger deal then than it is now), we found that we were seated with two children who exhibited rude, obnoxious behavior that night. I'm trying to give them a break and assume a stressful day as well, but it was so bad that I left the dining room after about 10 minutes. I would rather go without food than tolerate their behavior! And that line had no room service or other options for dinner. Fortunately, that family asked to be moved and we were free from them for the rest of the cruise.[/quote']

That sounds terrible! How fortunate the family asked to be moved.

It makes me remember my first ever cruise. After the long day of getting to the port' date=' etc. (which seemed like a much bigger deal then than it is now), we found that we were seated with two children who exhibited rude, obnoxious behavior that night. I'm trying to give them a break and assume a stressful day as well, but it was so bad that I left the dining room after about 10 minutes. I would rather go without food than tolerate their behavior! And that line had no room service or other options for dinner. Fortunately, that family asked to be moved and we were free from them for the rest of the cruise.[/quote']

I don't mind sitting with kids, but I do mind sitting with anyone who exhibits rude, obnoxious behavior. I have seen a lot more so-called adults showing that behavior in the dining room than children. If that happens, I ask the maître d' to move me to another table.

My husband and I have room service breakfast every day in our cabin. Always a 2-top! :) Lunch in the buffet.

Is the room service breakfast just continental or can you order hot food, like eggs?

Now as to dinner arrangements: (Though we've only had one Princess cruise, I think our experiences on other lines may also be informative.)

We have had completely different experiences in the dining room each time we have cruised. On our first cruise (Celebrity Infinity) we chose late fixed seating, and requested an 8-top. We got an 8-top, but one couple never appeared at the table, and another came the first night and never reappeared. So we ended up spending every dinner with the one remaining couple. As it happened, the four of us got along famously, and I was teary-eyed saying good-bye to them at the end of the cruise!

On our second cruise, on Carnival Fascination, we again chose late fixed seating, and (I think) requested a 6-top. We were assigned a rectangular booth with one other couple. Though we did not become fast friends with our companions, our dinners together were pleasant. Sometimes all four of us conversed, and sometimes we conversed as two separate couples. The latter was facilitated by the fact that each of us sat next to, not across from, our spouse, so we could easily speak in low tones without disturbing the other couple.

The best cruise dining experience we ever had was on our third cruise, on HAL Zuiderdam, when we moved from a 6-top because we could not tolerate our snooty, know-it-all table companions. Though we did not realize it at first, we were actually moved from a fixed to a flexible dining section of the DR -- when we arrived at dinner the first night at our new table, the waiter asked us if we minded if others were seated with us. We said we did not mind, though we preferred to be alone together. And alone together we were -- just the two of us at a rectangular 8-top -- for the entire 10-night cruise! Because we hadn't realized we were no longer in the fixed seating area of the dining room, we arrived at dinner at the same time every night and sat at the same table, just as we would have done in fixed seating. We therefore had the same fabulous wait staff every night, whom we got to know well, and because we were the only ones at the table, our waiter and assistant waiter had plenty of extra time to spend with us. We also got to know the sommelier, the dining room manager, the head waiter and the maitre d', and apparently made a positive impression on them, as they recommended us to the captain to dine with him later in the week. (Now, the captain's 9-top was by far the best table we've ever had! ;))

This just tickles my funny bone! (Did you ever wonder where the other 6 people were each night?) It's interesting the wait staff never suggested you move to a smaller table. Sounds like you had a fabulous experience and made a very good impression to end up at the captain's table!

Our fourth cruise, on Caribbean Princess, was our first foray into flexible dining. Some evenings we requested a 2-top, and other evenings larger tables. We found some extremely enjoyable table companions, and some less enjoyable ones. Our most fabulous experience was, unfortunately, our last dinner onboard! I would have loved to have made a date to dine with those folks again! It was an 8-top, and everybody at the table was engaging and seemed to find everyone else fascinating! Conversation flowed.

Our flexible dining experience did agree with observations others have made on this thread, that the larger the table, the more difficult conversation can become, but that is really only a problem if the most interesting people at the table are the ones farthest from you. It is just as easy to talk to the folks on either side of you at a big table as at a small one.

Good point!

I have read on these boards that you can use the flexible seating concept kind of like fixed seating by making a reservation for a particular table at a particular time every night. That way you could get the size table you prefer and the same wait staff every night. Of course, your table companions will vary, but that is advantageous if you don't hit it off with some of them. If you do hit it off with particular table companions, you can always agree to dine together other evenings.

I love the sound of "flexible" "fixed" seating!

In your situation, I would consider testing the waters by signing up for flexible seating. That way each evening you can try different size tables to find out which works best for you. On Caribbean Princess, we never dined before 8, and did not experience long waits. I cannot speak to waits for other dining times, or on other ships.

Yet another interesting idea to ponder. My only concern is that my early-riser DH usually likes to have dinner on the early side, so after 8 would probably be too late for him. Waiting in line on an empty stomach is not our (his) forte! ;)

Thank you for sharing your experiences!

Edited by ams cruiser

We often travel with friends from other states.. so request a 4 top. We do anytime dining so sometimes they are unavailable.. and we take what we can get. My husband has hearing impairment so the large tables are really hard for him to converse with others. The 2 tops are so close together that I don't think we would choose those even if it was just the 2 of us traveling. As to making reservations in anytime dining.. we found that it varies wildly by ship. We have had no problem on some ships and then on others found that it was not possible. We don't like to dine too early but due to medication issues we I need to finish eating 4 hours before bedtime, so the 8:30 thing doesn't work for us. Anytime dining also means you don't have to rush back from an event or excursion if you have the earlier sitting. This really is almost as subjective as food choice :-)

Is the room service breakfast just continental or can you order hot food, like eggs?

We have always had hot breakfast available to us. But the selections for room service breakfast, and whether there is a charge for room service, varies from line to line, I believe, and has changed over time on some lines.

This just tickles my funny bone! (Did you ever wonder where the other 6 people were each night?) It's interesting the wait staff never suggested you move to a smaller table. Sounds like you had a fabulous experience and made a very good impression to end up at the captain's table!

We were having too grand a time to really think about where the other folks might have been! And again, it took us a while to realize that we were probably not in the fixed seating area anymore, so there had been no one else "assigned" to that table. We were never asked to move, and since the table was directly in front of the bow window and we had an excellent view of the sea and the strollers and joggers on the wraparound promenade deck, if we had been asked to move, we would have politely declined! And we would never, ever have abandoned our wonderful wait staff!! And I am pretty sure that the waiter who asked us if we wanted others to be seated with us saw how much DH and I were enjoying each others' company on our 25th anniversary cruise that he honored our request to dine à deux.:D

Good point!

I love the sound of "flexible" "fixed" seating!

It sounds like the best of both worlds to me, too, though I have not tried it. I am sure you can find posts about folks who did it, or start a thread to get information. The only reason I know anything about it is because I read it somewhere on CC!

Yet another interesting idea to ponder. My only concern is that my early-riser DH usually likes to have dinner on the early side, so after 8 would probably be too late for him. Waiting in line on an empty stomach is not our (his) forte! ;)

Wait times must vary, but if you try the reservation option, they should go away.

Thank you for sharing your experiences!

It's fun to have these conversations!

I'm the same way! If we request a table for 2, how likely are we to actually get it? I know it says when you book that not all requests can be accommodated, so I'm wondering if it's safer to just choose Anytime and then call the DINE line and make a reservation for 2 each night at the same time. We did this on our first (only) cruise and got the same table at 5:30 each night, so we were still able to have the same awesome wait staff. I would not enjoy being assigned to a larger table and feeling like I had to eat with a group of 6 or 8 every time I wanted to eat in the MDR, which is usually every night for us.

I'm the same way! If we request a table for 2, how likely are we to actually get it? I know it says when you book that not all requests can be accommodated, so I'm wondering if it's safer to just choose Anytime and then call the DINE line and make a reservation for 2 each night at the same time. We did this on our first (only) cruise and got the same table at 5:30 each night, so we were still able to have the same awesome wait staff. I would not enjoy being assigned to a larger table and feeling like I had to eat with a group of 6 or 8 every time I wanted to eat in the MDR, which is usually every night for us.

The few times we requested traditional dining at a table for 2 we never got it but haven't gone to the maître d' on embarkation day to request a change. We were assigned larger tables which like always had good tablemates but generally slower service which is even slower when passengers arrive late.

With AT dining by arriving either when it opened or after 7:30 we always got a table for 2 with rarely any wait at all. I've read that each maître d' makes the decision about anytime dining reservations so it can vary. Apparently some will allow a nightly reservation for the entire cruise which may be based on availability. Otherwise you can call daily (think between 0800-1700) to try to make a reservation.

There doesn't appear to be a standardized procedure on each ship & it may even vary on each cruise.