Table for 2, 4, 6, or 8! Which might we appreciate?

ams cruiser

I have just booked an Alaska cruise for DH and myself on the Ruby Princess this summer. We would like traditional dining first seating, but are wondering what size table to request. The only other 2 cruises we have been on were years ago with relatives where we had large tables just to ourselves.

This cruise it's just the two of us, however, and we are on "uncharted waters" in the dining room. DH and I would be fine with a table for two, but are also open to dining with others and see it as an opportunity to get to meet some interesting people. We want to be able to relax and enjoy dinner, however, and not feel the need to make conversation if it doesn’t flow naturally.

I know this decision is strictly a personal one and there is no “right answer”, but I would be interested in hearing perspectives of more experienced cruisers about which table arrangements they prefer, and why.

The travel agent I spoke with suggested we might try a 6-top, and that we could ask for a change to a table for 2 after the first night, if it didn’t work out. Would this be difficult to arrange a switch, if, for example, we found ourselves seated with "The Bickersons"? :eek:

Well, what you request on line is not always what you are assigned. On our first Princess cruise we asked for a table for 6. We were assigned to a table for 9. Fortunately I went to the maitre'd during the afternoon hours --when I learned of the table for 9, I had us moved to a 2 top.

It worked great! The tables for 2 on Princess are about 6 inches apart. The couple at the next table was lovely, and for all practical purposes, we were a party of 4. The nice thing about this was that if it hadn't been a good fit, we could have just kept to ourselves.

The more people at your table, the longer dinner will/might take. The servers will wait if someone isn't there unless others know that they went to specialty dining or whatever. They will wait till all the items from each course are ready, as they should. It just seems to drag on. And frankly, conversation at a big table is difficult. 6 is as big as I would want to go.

Never know what you will get:cool:

Just a stab in the dark here

I think we have dined with others 8 times

Most were not people we would hang out with after a meal.

I know many have made life long friends.....

the last carnival, we sat very near to a couple, and we were all laughing and smiling.....all the way for 2 nites

Since then , just the two of us, so we could eat quicker, take a nap and go dance!

Edited by kcdancerkc

It's a personal thing. We have tried 2, 4, 6, 8. All different. If you wish to be alone the choice is obvious. The best fun we ever had was with 8...not one of the other passengers were from the same country we almost had the lights turned out on us. The worst was 4 as the other couple were so boring and their table manners had to be seen, we had to ask to be moved. Now prefer anytime dining and you can pick a different size table every night. Go with how you feel comfortable but definitely avoid a table for 4.

If you have just booked now for later this summer the odds of getting a table for two are very very slim; usually requests surpass availability shortly after a cruise opens for booking 18-24 months out. And it would be a great surprise if the 6PM main early seating is not waitlisted; booking after final payment date (as you are sailing Alaska this summer it is certainly within 75 days) means long odds for you to clear it. Your TA should have given you realistic expectations making it abundantly clear that booking so close to sailing you need to decide what to request immediately, and that if you prefer fixed seating you will likely only be able to choose between the 5:15 extra early or the 8:15 late seatings.

As a frequent last-minute cruiser I have also found that when I request a six-top we usually get assigned to an eight, and vice-versa.

Edited by fishywood

We prefer the table for two at dinner. We like to be adventurous at breakfast or tea and sit at a big table :D

We're exactly the opposite. A table of 6 or 8 for dinner, but only a table for 2 for breakfast and lunch. Especially at breakfast, I do not want to be sociable until I'm on the outside of a full pot of tea.

We request a table for 6 and have enjoyed meeting some wonderful people. At a table for 8 or 10, it's difficult to talk with everyone; at a table for 4 it could result in not having anything in common with the other couple.

However that was when we preferred late traditional dining & now we prefer early TD and request a table for 2 when not sailing with a group. We do it this way not because we don't enjoy meeting other passengers but instead because service is usually faster. That gives us a little more time to enjoy other activities during the evening.

Edited by Astro Flyer

The travel agent I spoke with suggested we might try a 6-top, and that we could ask for a change to a table for 2 after the first night, if it didn’t work out.

I think that's some poor advice. 2-tops are always very popular.

When I was on carribbean, there was a waiting list of 45 couples

for 2-tops. This was on the second day, after they had accomodated

everyone they could.

I have just booked an Alaska cruise for DH and myself on the Ruby Princess this summer. We would like traditional dining first seating, but are wondering what size table to request. The only other 2 cruises we have been on were years ago with relatives where we had large tables just to ourselves.

This cruise it's just the two of us, however, and we are on "uncharted waters" in the dining room. DH and I would be fine with a table for two, but are also open to dining with others and see it as an opportunity to get to meet some interesting people. We want to be able to relax and enjoy dinner, however, and not feel the need to make conversation if it doesn’t flow naturally.

I know this decision is strictly a personal one and there is no “right answer”, but I would be interested in hearing perspectives of more experienced cruisers about which table arrangements they prefer, and why.

The travel agent I spoke with suggested we might try a 6-top, and that we could ask for a change to a table for 2 after the first night, if it didn’t work out. Would this be difficult to arrange a switch, if, for example, we found ourselves seated with "The Bickersons"? :eek:

If two persons are dining the best table size is six. Table for two is ok if you want to dine alone. A table for four works if the two couples are amicable. A table for eight or above makes it difficult to converse with guests on the opposite side of the table.

Yes, you can't always converse with everyone at a table for 8, at least on the same night. However switching positions around the table each night, so you are sitting next to different people each night, means that you are able to have some great conversations with those different people each night.

The danger with requesting a table for 6 is that you may end up with only one other couple at your table. That can still happen with a table for 8 but you have a better chance of getting at least six people at your table.

Yes, you can't always converse with everyone at a table for 8, at least on the same night. However switching positions around the table each night, so you are sitting next to different people each night, means that you are able to have some great conversations with those different people each night.

The danger with requesting a table for 6 is that you may end up with only one other couple at your table. That can still happen with a table for 8 but you have a better chance of getting at least six people at your table.

I agree completely with this response. Sometimes one couple at a table never shows up. Even if they do, people miss because of late excursions or specialty dining. With a table for six, you only have two couples if one is missing.

A table for ten is definitely too large to be one group.

We always request a table for 8, but sometimes get one for 6. Often not all show up for dinner and often 8 becomes 6. We enjoy the variety of people but be aware that the bigger the table the longer it would take to finish the meal, so if you're not in a hurry, then 8 is good. We don't care how long dinner takes since at home we're always a table for 2 :) and eat too quickly. So for us, it's part of the vacation, slow dinner and socializing.

My thoughts exactly. Same goes for a table for 10, as far as conversing. On our last cruise, we were disappointed to find ourselves at a 10-top instead of an 8-top, but it turned out to be the best group ever. We just made a point of changing positions at the table every evening. We had soo much fun.

ams cruiser, love your thread title. Very clever. :D

Six or eight is good for us. Once we had a table for eight but it included a family with two young kids. We'll ask to be changed if we have kids at our table again. It ended up that the family only came the first couple of nights. We thought they had totally dropped out, but then the parents came the last two nights. We enjoyed them a lot more without the children.

We're exactly the opposite. A table of 6 or 8 for dinner, but only a table for 2 for breakfast and lunch. Especially at breakfast, I do not want to be sociable until I'm on the outside of a full pot of tea.

This is exactly what we do. We like to be by ourselves in the morning, and either 6 or 8 for dinner is good. Although a table for 10 on an Emerald TA was the best time we've ever had on a cruise.

Just see the Maître D once you board & they can help advise your next step.

Only you can answer that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well' date=' what you request on line is not always what you are assigned. On our first Princess cruise we asked for a table for 6. We were assigned to a table for 9. Fortunately I went to the maitre'd during the afternoon hours --when I learned of the table for 9, I had us moved to a 2 top.

It worked great! The tables for 2 on Princess are about 6 inches apart. The couple at the next table was lovely, and for all practical purposes, we were a party of 4. The nice thing about this was that if it hadn't been a good fit, we could have just kept to ourselves.

The more people at your table, the longer dinner will/might take. The servers will wait if someone isn't there unless others know that they went to specialty dining or whatever. They will wait till all the items from each course are ready, as they should. It just seems to drag on. And frankly, conversation at a big table is difficult. 6 is as big as I would want to go.[/quote']

That sounds like a good compromise!

Waiting for others at a large table sounds like a difficult situation for everyone, but especially the servers. If you're going to go to a specialty dinner, say you get a reservation in the morning for that evening, what's the best way to let the dining room know you won't be there? Can you call in or do you just stop by?

Edited by ams cruiser
Can't figure out how to respond to different parts of quotes!