Tour guide recommendations

lastchamp64

Hi all, first time cruise newbie here. I've been a big time planner for our many Disney World trips but I must admit I am feeling a bit overwhelmed with planning the excursions for our trip on the Norwegian Escape in May 2017.

I would appreciate any opinions and experiences with the following excursion companies out there or even recommendations for ones any of you have used. Our ports will be Costa Maya, Cozumel, Roatan Bay and Harvest Caye;

We will be touring in all but Harvest Caye. Costa Maya we plan on seeing the Mayan Ruins. In Cozumel we are planning a private tour for three. And in Roatan Bay we are undecided.

Tourist guides:

Ship sponsored tours (safest but most expensive)

Shore Excursion Group

Island Marketing Ltd

Shore Excursioneer

The Native Choice (I have read great things on this forum and online of them)

Looking forward to hearing some sound advice here.

Edited by lastchamp64

What are you hoping to see/do while visiting Cozumel? :confused:

Black Hat (mentioned above) is often suggested on this board. I'd start there is you want to tour the island.

If you wanted to take a snorkel tour, we used Eagle Ray a few years ago and were happy. Or you can enjoy good snorkeling from the shore at The Money Bar.

We are not the biggest sit on the beach for several hours a day kind of family. The day we are in Harvest Caye will be good for us as far a a beach day. What I think we are wanting to do in Cozumel is see the city, landmarks, perhaps stop and get a bite to eat and experience authentic Mexican food and maybe stop at the beach for an hour or so.

Thanks so far on the tips.

Not much city or landmarks on Coz. There are some small Mayan ruins - IMHO they are disappointing. Downtown shopping is very touristy.

That said, the far side of the island is beautiful, with some fun bars and beautiful beaches (usually too dangerous to swim).

Please come back post cruise and let us know how it worked out and where you went.

There are some fun, authentic beach bars on "the other side" of Cozumel...

Crescencio, from Black Hat took me all the way around the island clockwise, and we made stops at several places as well as a beach on the East side. There is no electricity there, but the bars have great drinks and good food too... Coconuts has an awesome view, as well as great Guacamole and salsa. Rastas has some great coconut shrimp. You can customize the tour and spend as much or little time at wherever you want...

We are not the biggest sit on the beach for several hours a day kind of family. The day we are in Harvest Caye will be good for us as far a a beach day. What I think we are wanting to do in Cozumel is see the city, landmarks, perhaps stop and get a bite to eat and experience authentic Mexican food and maybe stop at the beach for an hour or so.

We have taken many custom tours with drivers from ToursPlaza. For a general overview of the island take a circular tour round the island visiting the main town, then photo ops on the east side and back via the southern beach clubs.

Punta Sur can be an interesting destination for a longer stop. Otherwise the chocolate factory. tequila tasting or PeePee station can be interesting stops. Look at the websites for ToursPlaza and BlackHat for further suggestions. If you don't need a pre-arranged driver who can speak English, you can take your chance negotiating a taxi driver at the port if you know where you want to visit. Prices are posted at the taxi dispatch and check with driver before you leave. check out the long running thread on here, Hiring a driver for the day.

If you don't want a tour of the island Cooking with Josefina, Photo tour with Tati Biermas are other tours we have enjoyed or there are food tours which go to local eateries.

Edited by c-leg5

I appreciate all the tips and advice out there. After sitting down with my wife and daughter we have decided to do the following.

Costa Maya: We will be using Native Choice and doing the Mayan Experience.

Cozumel: We booked with Norwegian the Dolphin swim & ride all inclusive.

Roatan: Still waiting to receive a price from Bodden Tours for a private tour.

Harvest Caye: Actually looking forward to this.

Hopefully we made the right choices and will have a great time. If not, I can always book this cruise again and get it right the second time. :D