Harvest Caye

CozGurl

NCL just made my decision to go with CCL.

I spoke with a shore excursion rep with NCL to find out what happens with excursions once Harvest Caye is open. You will only be able to do the excursions that NCL offers. They will not be offering cave tubing on the mainland, for example. Those excursions that you see available now, will not be the same once HC opens.

They are also not specific about where the snorkel excursion takes you. One of the reasons we want the western Caribbean is to snorkel on the 2nd largest barrier reef in the world, which is around the cayes in Belize. It doesn't sound like we will be able to do that. It is "around" the reef. That means nothing.

Just wanted to share that information in case there are others like us that like to plan our own excursions once we arrive at a port.

I too have read that here and there, but I'm not willing to take that chance. The NCL representatives that I spoke to (two of them) indicated that they didn't think we'd be able to leave the port/island independently. There wouldn't be water taxis or other transportation arranged off of the island unless you were on their excursion.

You literally walk off the ship onto their island.

Just my opinion, but Roatan has the best diving diving on the western side. Belize City is always a thrash to arrange excursions out to great diving because of time constraints being aboard a cruise ship. I doubt that CCL or any other line can change the transportation situation. I rarely get off the ship in Belize;)

You literally walk off the ship onto their island.

Please read this with zero snarkiness: Isn't that the way all of the private cayes/islands work? Not just NCL, but all of the cruise lines who have developed a private caye. I thought they were sold as some exclusive thing for the use of the guests of the cruise line, but if there was a lot of traffic to/from the mainland, it would kind of defeat the purpose. I haven't done a Caribbean cruise yet, though, so I might not understand it correctly.

Please read this with zero snarkiness: Isn't that the way all of the private cayes/islands work? Not just NCL, but all of the cruise lines who have developed a private caye. I thought they were sold as some exclusive thing for the use of the guests of the cruise line, but if there was a lot of traffic to/from the mainland, it would kind of defeat the purpose. I haven't done a Caribbean cruise yet, though, so I might not understand it correctly.

We have been looking forward to the opening of Harvest Caye for precisely this. I want to walk off the ship and have a nice clean beach available within walking distance. Hopefully they will have some nice snorkeling/diving available for those that want it, but I'm happy with an easy to get to beach.

OK....after years of cruising we are lazy about it now. I've done enough crazy taxis/shuttles on different islands. Love an easy beach day:cool:

NCL just made my decision to go with CCL.

I spoke with a shore excursion rep with NCL to find out what happens with excursions once Harvest Caye is open. You will only be able to do the excursions that NCL offers. They will not be offering cave tubing on the mainland, for example. Those excursions that you see available now, will not be the same once HC opens.

They are also not specific about where the snorkel excursion takes you. One of the reasons we want the western Caribbean is to snorkel on the 2nd largest barrier reef in the world, which is around the cayes in Belize. It doesn't sound like we will be able to do that. It is "around" the reef. That means nothing.

Just wanted to share that information in case there are others like us that like to plan our own excursions once we arrive at a port.

It sucks if NCL does that, you do realize the same reef is easily accessible off of Costa Maya also......Roatan is excellent also, especially off the West End

Chiming in to echo what some of the other posters have mentioned- the snorkeling in Roatan is supposed to be first rate. We booked a W. Carib cruise for October that was supposed to visit HC, then the opening got pushed back to November and our port stop switched to Belize City. While I'm disappointed that we won't be able to see HC this time around, I'm super excited to snorkel in Roatan!

In a recent webinar Andy Stuart made it VERY clear that ONLY guests who booked NCL excursions would be able to visit the mainland (if that's where the tour is going). There will be NO provision for independent transport between Harvest Caye and the mainland.

in our opinion, part of the perk of visiting a private island is that you have MORE time to DO stuff and LESS worry about traveling ages to get there. That being said, Belize isn't my favorite port, but I find it perfectly reasonable not being able to go to the mainland independently. I personally wouldn't want to risk it, even if it was possibe.

In a recent webinar Andy Stuart made it VERY clear that ONLY guests who booked NCL excursions would be able to visit the mainland (if that's where the tour is going). There will be NO provision for independent transport between Harvest Caye and the mainland.

Maybe one of the NCL excursions will be "Transportation to the Mainland", after which you'd be free to do as you please.

I didn't read snarky trivimp. I haven't been on a cruise with a private island and don't really want to unless it is a crappy port - like Progresso.

We are traveling with some friends that wanted to do cave tubing so that was also a possibility for us as a plan B. But they said we wouldn't be able to do that.

This is exactly the same as any private port I've ever visited. For instance, those who go to Great Stirrup Cay don't hop on boats to other places in the Bahamas. We visited Labadee, Haiti with RCL, and certainly couldn't wander freely around Haiti. This is nothing new. The beauty of private spaces is that they are indeed separate and private. I'd have been confused if they allowed you to wander on your own.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Harvest Caye isn't particularly close to Belize City, so who can say that any of the traditionally offered Belize excursions (i.e. cave tubing) will be accessible from the new port anyway? And like others have said, this is typical of the cruise lines' private resorts. When we went to Labadee with Celebrity, there was no option to go to the Haitian mainland, but we had all we wanted at the resort anyway.

By the way, will the food/drink offerings on Harvest Caye be an extension of the ship? For example, will they offer a complimentary lunch and honor the beverage package at the resort?

Harvest Caye isn't particularly close to Belize City, so who can say that any of the traditionally offered Belize excursions (i.e. cave tubing) will be accessible from the new port anyway? And like others have said, this is typical of the cruise lines' private resorts. When we went to Labadee with Celebrity, there was no option to go to the Haitian mainland, but we had all we wanted at the resort anyway.

By the way, will the food/drink offerings on Harvest Caye be an extension of the ship? For example, will they offer a complimentary lunch and honor the beverage package at the resort?

NCL has made an announcement of a partnership with local Belize restaurateurs. It appears we would need to return to the ship for complimentary food and use of the UBP. Lucky that it will be docked so no more long tender rides.

https://www.ncl.com/harvest-caye

More information here. Interesting that it say there will be ferry service to Malacate on the mainland. See quote below

Large marina with food and bar area, offering guests a variety of exciting shore excursions and ferry service to Malacate on the mainland.

https://www.ncl.com/press-releases/norwegian-cruise-line-reveals-harvest-caye-experiences

More information about food & beverage in this press release copied below

In true Norwegian fashion, Harvest Caye will feature a myriad of dining and bar options, available à la carte. Guests will enjoy five dining and bar outlets that feature a variety of cuisines, including a two-story indoor/outdoor Landshark Bar & Grill. An expansion of Norwegian’s partnership with Jimmy Buffett’s Margaritaville, the Landshark Bar & Grill is sure to be an island favorite, with a scenic upper deck and a swim-up pool bar for the ultimate way to enjoy a "boat drink". Those who want to indulge in authentic Belizean cuisine will be able to enjoy casual street style dining in the shopping village. Additional dining options will include the Laughing Bird Bar & Grill serving the beach, the Manatee Marina Bar & Grill in the marina, the Horse-Eye Jack Bar & Grill servicing the island’s cabanas as well as food and drink delivery throughout the pool area.

Too soon for exact details but my understanding is you can take a boat from Harvest Caye to Belize City marina and get tours from there.

Belize city is over 75 miles away from Harvest Caye, so no way to take a boat there in the amount of time in port...

so, is there going to be a "Free" food option on Harvest caye? Wasn't sure about the " Manatee Marina Bar & Grill in the marina, the Horse-Eye Jack Bar & Grill "

if there's no free food option on Harvest caye, that will be disappointing, as we see a private island as a good "included" day on the cruise and enables us to spend more money on other ports on that cruise. BUT the local restauranteurs is a great idea - I would probably try it out, if the price is rice, because i love going to local island places. I have no interest in margaritaville since I can go to one on land in the US

so, is there going to be a "Free" food option on Harvest caye? Wasn't sure about the " Manatee Marina Bar & Grill in the marina, the Horse-Eye Jack Bar & Grill "

if there's no free food option on Harvest caye, that will be disappointing, as we see a private island as a good "included" day on the cruise and enables us to spend more money on other ports on that cruise. BUT the local restauranteurs is a great idea - I would probably try it out, if the price is rice, because i love going to local island places. I have no interest in margaritaville since I can go to one on land in the US

My impression is that all food and beverage outlets will be pay for use and that the beverage package will not work on Harvest Caye. Whether you can charge to your ship account or not remains to be seen. I'm anticipating this to be like stopping in Roatan or Grand Turk more than a traditional cruise line private island stop.

My impression is that all food and beverage outlets will be pay for use and that the beverage package will not work on Harvest Caye. Whether you can charge to your ship account or not remains to be seen. I'm anticipating this to be like stopping in Roatan or Grand Turk more than a traditional cruise line private island stop.

That was the impression I also got from the few articles posted.

They talk about a la carte restaurant on the island, but not under NCL management, so I'd doubt one could use shipboard account.

This is disappointing. If the stop is truly exclusive to our ship, there needs to be included meal and drink options. Just my $.02 .

that's disappointing. I will PASS on that, if I want to pay for everything ala carte at a port, I'll go to a non private port and not get charged premium NCL prices