Transpacific cruises ??

kftw

I have searched and have not been able to find very much on transpacific cruises. We are interested in booking one for Fall 2017. We have done two transatlantic cruises but were wondering how different crossing the pacific would be.

Depending on what part of the Pacific you want to cross you will find those cruises under Australia/New Zealand, Asia, or Hawaii/South Pacific on the Holland Website. If you want to go all the way to Australia those cruises will have more sea days and be longer than your typical Transatlantic. We have done all the above cruises and would not hesitate to do them again.

I sailed a trans-Pacific eastbound last year on the Volendam. We went from Kobe, Japan to Vancouver. There were a lot of sea days in a row before we arrived at Kodiak Island, then a stop at Sitka, and finally disembarkation. I believe there were more sea days between the Alaska ports and ending. We did have ports while in Japan.

The one thing I found difficult was the loss of an hour every night for so many nights in a row. There was even one day we had an additional hour loss in the afternoon! :eek:

I did love all the sea time otherwise, not to mention the exotic ports in Japan. I took the prior cruise, too, so feel that I saw more than I would have with the trans-Pac only. I don't know that the long flights would have been worth it for the one cruise only.

We had plenty of enrichment lectures, from an excellent speaker. It was a thoroughly enjoyable time, and I would do it again.

Having sailed HAL on the South Pacific, Australia and Asia, I would recommend the North Pacific cruises, from Asia to Vancouver or reverse.

I haven't noticed any huge difference in a Pacific TA and an Atlantic one.

Weather is hot on the southern Pacific ones and colder on the northern. We saw more shipping on the Atlantic and more whales on the north Pacific. But ocean is ocean and if you like one, I am sure you will like the Pacific.

The ports in Japan and China are sensational and really worth the trip!!

Edited by SilvertoGold

Another option for fall 2017 is an Amsterdam Grand Asia cruise leaving San Diego October 1. The full cruise is 80 days but there are segments of 30 days to Hong Kong and about 55 days to Sydney.

It's longer and more expensive than the standard trans pacific but with more activities and better services. One thing about HAL is that on the website Grand Voyages are a class by themselves and only show up under "Grand Voyages", they don't show in the list of voyages for the region they cover.

Roy

Thanks everyone for your responses. We're looking at the Vancouver to Yokohama cruise. We love sea days & glad to hear there is no real difference with an Atlantic crossing.

I'm assuming we lose a day crossing the international dateline as the itinerary skips a day.

Looks like we'll be booking this cruise.

Thanks again.

Just a heads up! Have done 3 trans-Pacific cruises from Seattle and loved each one - port, sea days, lectures, etc. However - the worst part is the flight at end of cruise to return home. For this reason I would suggest doing east to west - that way you would have long flight first and can recuperate while you cruise back to US! Enjoy!

Just curious as a member of the Imperial Order of the Golden Dragon and Order of the Ditch, are there any observances/mention when crossing the International Date Line on the Trans-Pacific crossings or Panama Canal on those cruises? I believe Hurtigruten acknowledges the Order of the Blue Nose with a fun ceremony.

You get a certificate when crossing the International Dateline.

If you're saying that the certificate is all that HAL does to recognize crossing the International Date Line, I agree. I've crossed it several times, in both directions, and can't recall any sort of ceremony on any of them. I do recall having a bar bill on a day that didn't exist, though. :D

We've done two trans-Pacific cruises from Asia to North America. We never lost an hours sleep because the time changes were done at 2 p.m. rather than 2 a.m. So, dinner was a hour earlier - no big deal for us. That was much easier to handle than losing an hour of sleep.

It doesn't really matter, because if you're interested in going in the fall you'd be going westbound, rather than eastbound like us in the spring.

The only real differences from our trans-Atlantic cruises was we saw whales and the Aleutians. Also - the plane flight at one end was much longer than to/from Europe.

Probably best that they don't have the level of indoctrination that I was subjected to. :) But it is a time-honored maritime tradition that is nice to be acknowledged.

Having sailed both oceans, I do prefer the Pacific. The best days are sea days.

Edited by Heartgrove

HAL does a King Neptune Ceremony, with certificate, when crossing the equator.

You get a certificate when crossing the International Dateline.

I love these certificates.

I have framed and placed next to my university diplomas in my office !

Holacanada

I love these certificates.

I have framed and placed next to my university diplomas in my office !

Holacanada

Good for you! And why not, eh? They bring back great memories, don't they?

It is nice read of pax who have positive attitudes about things like this.

Edited by SilvertoGold

Another option for fall 2017 is an Amsterdam Grand Asia cruise leaving San Diego October 1. The full cruise is 80 days but there are segments of 30 days to Hong Kong and about 55 days to Sydney.

It's longer and more expensive than the standard trans pacific but with more activities and better services. One thing about HAL is that on the website Grand Voyages are a class by themselves and only show up under "Grand Voyages", they don't show in the list of voyages for the region they cover.

Roy

We did this Grand Asia in 2014 and we agreed it was the trip of a lifetime . We would do it all over again. HAL goes all out and this must be what luxury cruising was like years ago. The lectures, the activities, the entertainment, the meals, the ports - well you get the idea!