Blu and Eating Vegetarian

EagleRocker

My apologies if this has been asked/answered on this Board already.

We are vegetarians (not vegans) and have not had any difficulty eating veggie on Celebrity in the past. We have our first Aqua class cabin on our upcoming 14-nighter next year (could not resist aft Deck 11 1141 that was available at a great fare), and I understand that this means Blu will be our assigned dining spot for dinner. We had a suite last year on a Reflection 11-night cruise and periodically checked out the Blu dinner menu if we wanted something different than what was on offer at Luminae that night. We never ate at Blu, however, because we never saw a vegetarian entree listed.

Is that unusual? Will we be able to get vegetarian dinners in Blu, whether by asking for something off the evening's MDR veggie offerings (never have a problem finding something veggie in the MDR) to be served to us in Blu or by checking in at Blu when we embark to ask about vegetarian meals? Can we just eat in the MDR if that is easier for all (I somehow was under the impression this was verboten?)? The buffet is ok once in a while after a long/tiring port day but I cannot imagine doing that for up to 14 nights.

Any advice on how best not to be that annoying passenger wanting special treatment would be appreciated. Thanks all.

On the Reflection this past December, Blu typically had one Vegetarian option each night or items which could be prepared sans-meat. You can also ask for the separate vegetarian menu.

We have been sailing Aqua Class for awhile. We like the amenities and, especially, Blu. In our experience if you let the the Maitre D' know you are vegetarian he will do everything possible to accommodate you. If you do not like the vegetarian selection on the menu just ask and they will come up with something to meet your preference. Happy sailing.

This is a redundant question, unfortunately your search did not work... this usually is NOT an issue, on any cruise line, especially X...

bon voyage

Are you vegetarian? It can be an issue and on X as well. Vegetarians in Blu, if they wish to have a greater choice, can access the main dining room vegetarian menu but then why pay extra for Aqua and get MDR food? It's the reason we will never cruise in Aqua as my OH is vegetarian and the benefit of Blu would be lost on him.

The speciality restaurants don't indicate a single vegetarian option which requires awkward conversations before dining there to try and ensure there is a choice available.

Despite most cheeses in the UK being vegetarian suitable, the buffet doesn't serve a single vegetarian cheese. The one or two vegetarian main dishes on offer in the buffet can often be next to meat dishes leading to cross contamination and serving utensils being mixed.

There isn't a dessert anywhere on an X menu indicating it's suitable for vegetarians requiring either very limited and careful choices or questions to be asked. You can ask for veggie burgers at the Mast Grill however they are cooked on the same grill as the meat.

When you ask a waiter 'is this cheese vegetarian?' and the answer is yes, it's just cheese that doesn't give a resounding feeling of confidence. X has a terrible understanding of animal rennet in cheese as do Royal.

Yes a restaurant, given prior notice, can prepare something but why should vegetarians have much more limited choices or just one option prepared specially for them and need to negotiate it a day in advance?

Sorry if I've gone on but just thought your comment was flippant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you vegetarian? It can be an issue and on X as well. Vegetarians in Blu, if they wish to have a greater choice, can access the main dining room vegetarian menu but then why pay extra for Aqua and get MDR food? It's the reason we will never cruise in Aqua as my OH is vegetarian and the benefit of Blu would be lost on him.

The speciality restaurants don't indicate a single vegetarian option which requires awkward conversations before dining there to try and ensure there is a choice available.

Despite most cheeses in the UK being vegetarian suitable, the buffet doesn't serve a single vegetarian cheese. The one or two vegetarian main dishes on offer in the buffet can often be next to meat dishes leading to cross contamination and serving utensils being mixed.

There isn't a dessert anywhere on an X menu indicating it's suitable for vegetarians requiring either very limited and careful choices or questions to be asked. You can ask for veggie burgers at the Mast Grill however they are cooked on the same grill as the meat.

When you ask a waiter 'is this cheese vegetarian?' and the answer is yes, it's just cheese that doesn't give a resounding feeling of confidence. X has a terrible understanding of animal rennet in cheese as do Royal.

Yes a restaurant, given prior notice, can prepare something but why should vegetarians have much more limited choices or just one option prepared specially for them and need to negotiate it a day in advance?

Sorry if I've gone on but just thought your comment was flippant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No I Am not vegetarian, although I Am vegan. As of yet, never found it difficult to eat or order to need on any cruise line. All one need do is speak with the maitre 'd and they will do their best to insure that meals are to needs. Do they fail at times? You bet...

Often times cheeses are considered 'vegetarian' but not vegan, then again if one is lacto intolerant and vegetarian, that could be an issue for the vegetarian.

I thought the OP was an experienced cruiser, as well on X's website they indicate that most dietary preferences can be accommodated. My bad for presuming their cruising acumen was a bit more advanced than the question portrayed.

I apologize for any offense(s) made

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

Many great choices in salads that can be made a main course, daily vegetarian offering, soups...and best of all let them know your preferences and they will find a way to please,

Don't miss the vegetarian Burgers at the Mast Grill. You need to request for one (even though its not listed on the menu). DW is a vegetarian and she absolutely loves the vegetarian burgers prepared here.

We've eaten at the Mast Grill several times when we want a break from the normal food of the MDR / Oceanview Cafe and we're glad we have both veg and non-veg options.

No I Am not vegetarian, although I Am vegan. As of yet, never found it difficult to eat or order to need on any cruise line. All one need do is speak with the maitre 'd and they will do their best to insure that meals are to needs. Do they fail at times? You bet...

Often times cheeses are considered 'vegetarian' but not vegan, then again if one is lacto intolerant and vegetarian, that could be an issue for the vegetarian.

I thought the OP was an experienced cruiser, as well on X's website they indicate that most dietary preferences can be accommodated. My bad for presuming their cruising acumen was a bit more advanced than the question portrayed.

I apologize for any offense(s) made

bon voyage

No offense taken. And kudos to you for being vegan and making it work cruise-wise. That is my goal, but not there yet :o

I probably should have made my question clearer and done a better search first. I only needed to know whether Blu offered a veggie option on the regular highly menu, because a random check of the menu on our last cruise did not always show one; I was hoping not have to ask for anything special/off menu. Thanks to the responders, I now know that Blu has a vegetarian menu (as does the MDR, which I knew) and that I can ask the Maitre'D should neither the daily veg option or the veg menu work (and I assume they will).

Happy cruising to all!

I was hoping not have to ask for anything special/off menu. Thanks to the responders, I now know that Blu has a vegetarian menu (as does the MDR, which I knew) and that I can ask the Maitre'D should neither the daily veg option or the veg menu work (and I assume they will).

Happy cruising to all!

In Blu, they take pride in meeting your needs. I'm an omnivore so I don't need to ask for foods to meet my dietary requirements but I have watched the Maitre D' discussing with other patrons about making sure they would have what they wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hi, one thing I noticed is that the vegetarian choices in Blu are not listed as "vegetarian" they are listed as either "daily vegetable" or just plain "vegetable" which could be a bit confusing.... but they are there, & some of them look terrific :)

Enjoy!

No offense taken. And kudos to you for being vegan and making it work cruise-wise. That is my goal, but not there yet :o

I probably should have made my question clearer and done a better search first. I only needed to know whether Blu offered a veggie option on the regular highly menu, because a random check of the menu on our last cruise did not always show one; I was hoping not have to ask for anything special/off menu. Thanks to the responders, I now know that Blu has a vegetarian menu (as does the MDR, which I knew) and that I can ask the Maitre'D should neither the daily veg option or the veg menu work (and I assume they will).

Happy cruising to all!

Also, at some point in the start of your day, take a stroll to Blu and gander the menu, at that point you might be able to discuss with the Maitre d' about what you would like to have that evening... Or try one night as a vegan and find out the chefs imagination and skills.

Personally, I leave it to the Chef and Maitre d' with the caveat that no meal can be the same within three (3) consecutive days. This gives them a day or two to think up how they can make my meal exciting and not boring (read salad and sauteed vegetables are only adjuncts to my meal and not the main courses).

They do a pretty good job of it... except with dessert, it is a struggle and I usually wind up with fruit or sometimes sorbet.

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953