Shower in the bathtub

happysnapper

I simply didn't realise that having a soak in a bathtub was a holiday priority for some... but on these boards I have learned otherwise. I'm curious about the attraction...

It's indeed curious. I doubt that many use the tub they have at home. It could be that some just think that having a tub is a sign of something important.

Is it that few homes in some countries have a bathtub so it is seen as a luxury? In Australia the majority of homes include at least one bathtub so I'm guessing that is why I don't understand.

Wife and I have been married for 25 years. Every house we've owned has had one or two bathtubs. I haven't the foggiest idea if they even hold water.

I love having the bathtub ... so convenient for shaving legs. :o

DH is happy with the larger shower area it provides. :D

The best bathroom we've had was a Crown Loft Suite on Oasis of the Seas. Your DH would never have left the shower. About 4x6 feet with an overhead rain shower head and two shower heads on the walls. No curtain but a sliding door.

I would certainly vote to give up the bath tub if I could have a shower like that.

Thanks everyone.:) Just did a 3D tour of the mini suite on the Golden and saw the grab rail. DH feels a bit better now after all the comments, especially from West Coast Cruiser who has had a THR and been in a similar cabin. We may take a rubber bath mat with us for extra security. Hate him to slip.

Taking the bath mat might be a good idea. The bottom of the tub had some none skid things on it. But you will probably feel better taking it.

The best bathroom we've had was a Crown Loft Suite on Oasis of the Seas. Your DH would never have left the shower. About 4x6 feet with an overhead rain shower head and two shower heads on the walls. No curtain but a sliding door.

I would certainly vote to give up the bath tub if I could have a shower like that.

I once travelled in a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom Courtyard Villa (I think it's called the Haven now) on NCL. The ensuite bathroom was pretty special. Separate shower and bath, both with floor to ceiling glass looking out to the ocean. The tub had its own TV as well. I could understand someone luxuriating in that bath tub (in fact my son used to lie in it without water and watch movies) - but I don't understand why anyone could relax in a tub in a cramped, internal bathroom with a toilet one metre from your face :eek:.

We had a mini suite on the Ruby last month. DH had a hip replacement last May. He didn't have any problem getting in and out of the tub. The grab bars were a big bonus. We booked the mini because we were traveling with our kids and grands and had three cabins in a row.

That being said for our 48 day cruise in a few months, we booked early to make sure we had a shower only cabin. We don't want to push our luck!!

Cheers, Denise

Taking the bath mat might be a good idea. The bottom of the tub had some none skid things on it. But you will probably feel better taking it.

No need to take a bath mat for the tub.

There is one folded under the sink area for you to use if you wish.

• 2 weeks later...

The mini tub that we had was very deep so stepping over the edge was very difficult for me and I ended up perched on the side doing sponge baths for ten days. The accessible minis have showers and are more convenient, but are only on newer ships. If possible , it might be more comfortable for your husband to have a shower

Edited by DesrtDrmr

I don't have hip or knee problems, but I still find getting in and out of the tub in minisuites quite difficult because of the height if the outside wall of the tub. IMO, it's very awkward having to clamber over that high tub wall, and the grab bar was not in a good location to offer maximum support, especially of the ship is rocking and rolling a bit.

I don't find the bathtub to be a bonus of having a mini, and the lack of a plain old shower stall will keep me from opting for a minisuite again.

We always book mini-suites and have always had a rubber tub mat. It's stored under the vanity. I would ask the steward for a second rubber mat. Two mats will cover the floor of the tub. I'm in my 70's with no mobility issues but I still hold onto the towel bar to get out of the tub and I make sure the cloth bath mat is where I step out. If you're concerned about your DH, be there to help him out of the tub.

DW uses a wheelchair. We were "up graded" many cruises ago from a balcony handicap cabin to a mini suite. Didn't think at the time about the shower in the tub so asked the steward for a step stool which proved to be OK for her at the time ( sadly not now). There's a nice lot of room in a standard mini so there are pros and cons. Suggest you go for an HC cabin but otherwise I think you will manage OK. I think policy dictates nowadays that if you choose an HC cabin you are automatically marked "no upgrade". Have a wonderful cruise.:)

We are starting to have misgivings about the cabin we have booked on the Golden Princess. It has a shower over the bath. We are both in our 70's definitely not invalids but DH has had a hip replacement. The cruise is for 34 days next year. Have any CCs had experience with this configuration, if so has it been a problem?

I had knee replacement surgery so climbing over the tub was a problem. I did it but was always concerned about slipping even holding onto the towel rack. We next had a suite with a shower and separate tub. It was perfect! Its now my reason for booking a suite. I know its more expensive but its worth it to me to reduce any possibility of injuries. Not to mention breakfast at Sabatinis or Crown Grill depending on the ship. :D

My mother broke both hips (in separate accidents). When we had to use a tub in a mini- I would put a hand towel on the edge of the tub and help her to sit and the rotate to get the the inside of the tub. When she was finished with her shower, I would come in to help reverse the process. She like the extra space in a mini. In our final cruises, we ended up booking suites, so the tub issue was no longer a problem.

Also, your husband could use the larger showers in the gym/ spa area. That way he could walk in- walk out.

My DH has also had a THR- and had no difficulty negotiating the tub on the Coral.

Last year I had a very bad car accident, broke both my hips and fractured my back in two places. First cruise I was still in wheelchair and had a handicapped balcony (or mini can't remember). It was fantastic, no issues at all. Next two cruises in a mini and I had no problems getting in and out of tub. I think you will be fine with the tub, just go slow getting in and out.