A lot of negative reviews appearing!

nikkiw60

We recently took our first MSC cruise, and we went with open minds. I knew going in what people said about it, and I thought it would be nothing that we couldn't handle. I was right. However, having said that - I was ready to get off the ship after the first two days. Thank goodness it got better.

Yes, the ship is beautiful. Yes, the food is divine. However, it does take some getting used to. With an overwhelmingly European population (I've lived in Europe, traveled several times, etc...it truly doesn't bother me), we had to adjust our way of thinking. Things like forming lines didn't seem to appeal to many, when the elevator would open - waiting for those leaving before getting on wasn't important, etc. No, the staff isn't OVERLY friendly. I never encountered a rude person (other than the maitre'd on sail away) but it wasn't like the other lines where they are ridiculously nice. If we were to focus on those type of things all week, it would have made it impossible to enjoy the trip. However, once you just accept them as the current reality, you get over it and enjoy the trip.

On our last sea day, we talked at dinner with our group about whether we would travel MSC again. When you take it all into account - the cost, the ship, the stops - yes, we would. However, I wouldn't want to do a heavy sea-day itinerary.

I enjoy reading the FB groups for various lines when someone asks about MSC and how it compares. Those who have been on MSC usually have generally positive comments and point out some differences. Those who have never been say stuff like my friends neighbors co-worker went and HATED IT. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think we all could debate the subtle nuances and differences of an MSC Cruise vs. other lines "till the cows come home." :-)

Is it different than other lines? Yes! A difference many of us enjoy and a few find hard to adapt to.

But, I do feel that, within the differences, are the solutions to some of the things people find to be negatives.

We found some of our fellow travelers to be overwhelming (Why do families of 50 insist on traveling together wearing their matching t shirts?!)...but, we also found that for a small fee we could escape the crowds and luxuriate on deck 18.

As many have stated the buffet's are delicious and the further aft you go, the fewer people are around you.

I really found the staff to be warm and friendly. Not TGI Friday's fake...but genuinely nice!

We did a lot of research before we booked on MSC Divina and we loved it! The negative reviews are confusing and feel like outliers to me and in many cases seem to have been created by the passenger themselves and the attitude they brought on board.

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread. My DH and I are long time Disney Cruise Line cruisers who are venturing to another cruise line - MSC - in April 2018 on the Seaside. As we are used to DCL's customer service - crew members make eye contact, crew members go out of their way to make sure guests are having a great experience, I still read reviews of how terrible guest services/crew members were. All this being said, we are looking forward to our YC experience on MSC. We are going with an open mind, expecting new experiences, getting away from our comfort zone, etc.

I had to laugh about the towel animals discussion. We always tell our room steward not to make us towel animals. Rather, we suggest that he/she make an extra towel animal in a stateroom with children.

As to food quality, etc., I don't cruise for the food! Gasp! I enjoy what I order, however, food is not the driving force for me being on a cruise. I am expecting some great selections on MSC as it's an Italian ship line and I am Italian. I have read that MSC's pizzas are great.

I don't expect much from the crew members except courtesy and respect. I am friends with some DCL crew and I would not expect another cruise line to have crew who would promote negativity, rudeness, etc. toward guests. Being Italian, US born and bred though, I may meet some relatives working on board!

There is a lot of excitement about the Seaside and I am grateful that I am able to get on board for what I foresee as a great cruise experience.

Jan

I

Edited by Granana