A lot of negative reviews appearing!

nikkiw60

As someone who loved their time on the Divina a couple of months ago (and have booked again for January) I am fascinated by the most recent reviews in the review section on here and also on Shipmate. What people seem to be critiquing badly totally baffles me!

Things that are obvious to most travellers like having to put your card in a slot by the door for electricity - this is the case in the majority of hotels now. Having to register your credit card in a machine after boarding - it takes 2 minutes (once you have selected the correct language), rudeness of other travellers (not MSC fault), lack of towel animals - is it that important? Staff unfriendly? It works both ways. Drinks vouchers - get the package linked to your card? Sheets not changed - maybe it's me but I only change our bedding weekly! And the best yet (which beggars belief) the person who thought she was being threatened by the singers in one of the shows who sang about people being thrown overboard! ( was this Treasure Island). Also someone not happy as they did not get into cabin till 2.30? Our boarding time was 2pm so we were more than happy about getting our cabin by 2.30. The bulk of complainers seem to be regulars on the other major cruise lines some of which seem to be double the price of MSC, so isn't it a case of you get what you pay for?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Although I have yet to board an MSC ship, I find this to be true on every cruise line. When I read the "Members" reviews, I always look to see how long they have been a "member", and guess what? The really bad reviews, are from people that JUST joined CC that day. :confused: I point this out for two reasons. Why did they just join that day and had they joined CC prior to their cruise, they would have been able to do research on the cruise line. If having a "towel animal" on one's bed is THAT important to you, that it ruined your cruise.....then you should have researched the cruise line to find out if they supplied this.

People amaze me sometimes. Do you change your sheets everyday at home???? In my ten cruises, I cannot think of ONE thing to complain about. Not one. I have NEVER seen or confronted a rude staff member. Ugh. When I read bad reviews, I ignore them. I know they are exaggerated and they never deter me from booking that particular ship.

Although I have yet to board an MSC ship, I find this to be true on every cruise line. When I read the "Members" reviews, I always look to see how long they have been a "member", and guess what? The really bad reviews, are from people that JUST joined CC that day. :confused: I point this out for two reasons. Why did they just join that day and had they joined CC prior to their cruise, they would have been able to do research on the cruise line. If having a "towel animal" on one's bed is THAT important to you, that it ruined your cruise.....then you should have researched the cruise line to find out if they supplied this.

People amaze me sometimes. Do you change your sheets everyday at home???? In my ten cruises, I cannot think of ONE thing to complain about. Not one. I have NEVER seen or confronted a rude staff member. Ugh. When I read bad reviews, I ignore them. I know they are exaggerated and they never deter me from booking that particular ship.

Very well said :)

No, I don't change my sheets every day at home :rolleyes:

.....and I have never met a rude member of crew - I have found you get back what you give :)

I have had a few minor issues on cruises that were dealt with promptly and efficiently.......and absolutely did not 'ruin' my cruise ;)

I have yet to sail with MSC, but I have 3 cruises booked - yes the website is less than stellar, but the ships look stunning and you certainly can't beat the price :D

Hi, I registered personally (my wife is the cruise critic in the family), just to agree with this post. Heck their are a lot miserable people booking with MSC, if you've been fortunate enough not to meet one this is what they look and behave like, courtesy of Monty Python

Hopefully the link works. It would be useful if there was a troll alert button with the helpful button or if the moderators put up a troll alert, if there's a stinking review that amounts to just nit picking. "I have to check in differently", "I have to put a card in the wall", "the table staff serve other guests", "other passengers don't like my rudeness", "there are children!", "There aren't towel animals!" Do us all a favour and stay home please.

Very well said :)

No, I don't change my sheets every day at home :rolleyes:

.....and I have never met a rude member of crew - I have found you get back what you give :)

I have had a few minor issues on cruises that were dealt with promptly and efficiently.......and absolutely did not 'ruin' my cruise ;)

I have yet to sail with MSC, but I have 3 cruises booked - yes the website is less than stellar, but the ships look stunning and you certainly can't beat the price :D

Ships are stunning - actually the best at sea.

Prices are good, were better but getting more expensive, then so are other cruiseline prices - so it is all relative.

I have found the staff to be not as friendly as those on other cruiselines but I think it is down to the autocratic leadership style of Italian owned business - you will find the default answer to most issues will be 'no' so it may take a bit of pressing to get a 'yes'. For junior staff, by saying 'no' the default postion remains and I get the feeling that they are afraid to say 'yes; with out management permission.

I am talking requesting a tea spoon at lunch time to feed a baby, not asking the Cptain to change the course of the ship!

Prices are good, were better but getting more expensive, then so are other cruiseline prices - so it is all relative.

I have found the staff to be not as friendly as those on other cruiselines but I think it is down to the autocratic leadership style of Italian owned business - you will find the default answer to most issues will be 'no' so it may take a bit of pressing to get a 'yes'. For junior staff, by saying 'no' the default postion remains and I get the feeling that they are afraid to say 'yes; with out management permission.

I am talking requesting a tea spoon at lunch time to feed a baby, not asking the Cptain to change the course of the ship!

I agree with the overall spirit of the thread, but the above sounds like something they may want to reconsider.

My experience of the crew has been the opposite, Tom. In fact, they contribute greatly to the overall enjoyment.

However, I accept that the situation you encountered, which you outlined in more detail previously, was outrageous! My approach to that would have been to go to the coffee bar and fetch a spoon, myself, though I know it shouldn't even come to that. But if the crew don't facilitate me, I'm inclined to resort to self-help!

I've received gestures of chocolate covered fruits delivered to the cabin when I've brought minor issues to the attention of Guest Relations and was given a model of Divina from GR manager when I had an issue with one of the Clubcard reps who wrote a letter of apology to accompany the model. Unfortunately it was delivered to the wrong cabin so I never actually got to read it. Someone on that cruise went home with a free model of Divina courtesy of moi! I did get another one, sans the written apology :rolleyes:

I have actually got into a Sunday morning routine of reading the reviews of people who have disembarked the previous day! I find it fascinating! Also interestingly we had a look at a couple of NCL cruises out of New York and the prices are ridiculous compared to what we get on Divina Cabin type, drink and gratuity wise and for us MSC is a no brainer!

HTC

Hi, I registered personally (my wife is the cruise critic in the family), just to agree with this post. Heck their are a lot miserable people booking with MSC, if you've been fortunate enough not to meet one this is what they look and behave like, courtesy of Monty Python

Hopefully the link works. It would be useful if there was a troll alert button with the helpful button or if the moderators put up a troll alert, if there's a stinking review that amounts to just nit picking. "I have to check in differently", "I have to put a card in the wall", "the table staff serve other guests", "other passengers don't like my rudeness", "there are children!", "There aren't towel animals!" Do us all a favour and stay home please.

Heeheehee this made me laugh and I have just finished reading a lot of the recent reviews and was going to comment anyway even before I read the above quoted one.

I found it very interesting that almost without exception every bad review had no previous posts and only joined in 2016....... So how is it that you are willing to spend time "trolling" (excuse the pun) the internet to find a site where you can complain but you are not willing to spend that time before you go doing research or before you actually book..........:rolleyes:

Personally, I work hard for my money and obviously want to relax and enjoy my vacation so I think it's time well spent. Especially when I read someone hates wasting precious time putting a card in a machine to activate your on board account. Reading the posts beforehand I know all about what is going to be expected.

I research a lot even hotels and places i think i want to visit to make sure the reality for the most part will be what I think I want.

I havent even travelled on MSC yet (booked for November this time as a couple and hugely looking forward to it). But I know it will be an eclectic band of travellers, great I love expanding my horizons. Smaller portions than apparently some Americans are used to, cool my waistline will be happy. Less wastage too for people whose eyes are bigger than their stomach but feel the need to get their money's worth. Long protracted dinners (it's an Italian cruise line people Italy invented the slow food movement) it's not slow as in we dont give a crap about you it's called slow to take your time, relax, savour the food, enjoy conversation and generally have a good time.

For a lot of you that will be with family ie children. Yes there will be very few adult only areas because Italians are very family orientated - they spend time together. If you are couples that don't like children then maybe this isnt the line for you.

Regardless whether they are sailing from the States my gut feeling is this is really for Europeans who want to sample the Caribbean or North Americans who really can embrace the fact that the are other countries that do things differently. Not those that want everything like they get with other American cruise lines but cheap. That doesnt make it bad - its just

different.

Not everyone wants or needs towel animals every night. It's ok it's not the end of the world. And to the reviewer who complained that to get her towels changed she had to put them on the floor and wouldn't because "It's gross", I dont know where she has been because every hotel I have ever stayed in asks you to do that to fit in with their environmental program and it lets the people cleaning the room, "Know"

Totally tongue in cheek, I wonder if an Italian living in Italy might view American cruise lines like this....... Mama Mia the plates were piled so high, what do I do with all this food? why all these waiters asking me every second if I want something? I'm trying to talk and relax with my family, why do you keep interrupting me, if I want something I will call you over. ;) Why when it's raining can't I swim with my family in the solarium, I want to spend my time on my vacation with my family. What is this creature on my bed? I use my towel to dry myself after my shower.......

So to sum up, this was a great thread, i have not cruised MSC I have cruised RCL, I am not American (I am a Brit living in Canada and no I dont live in an igloo or dog sled to work) I love meeting people from everywhere including American's but i don't want to spend my time listening to other people complain - life's too short to cry over towel animals. Yes they can be cute but is it a deal breaker? No. Is it a first world problem? Yes! And I do do my research before I travel. :D

Edited by Mattnvick

I've also noticed many negative reviews about Divina, but I'd like to address the one-time negative poster comment.

While I wholeheartedly agree that with human nature being what it is, people are much more likely to sign up as a first time poster to write a negative review. HOWEVER; as someone who posts what I believe to be both positive and negative aspects of Divina, I can certainly understand why some of those people posting with a negative opinion (on any line) would not want to post a review that would forever be tied to their screen name as people can get quite hostile toward those who do not adore their cruise line of choice. Even in the absence of hostility, most message boards are far kinder to those who post 'glowing' accounts of vacation experiences. Please note Nikki, I do enjoy your posts and am I am not disagreeing entirely, just offering another possibility behind the motives of the some of the 'one and done' posters.

As most of you know from my postings, I do see areas where MSC can improve and one area is communication (which is challenging due to multi-languages). My first trip on Divina, not one person told me I had to register my account on-board. As a result, at debarkation I did see many folks dong instead of ding which made them frustrated. We also had issues with YC check out and splitting the account, and I am STILL waiting for $109 to be placed back on my CC as promised. As far as the slots to turn on the electricity, absolutely most travel places use these now and many travelers understand, but would it be so difficult for MSC to place information on this when you enter the cabin?

Another area that can be improved upon is customer service. There are cultural differences in the way the Non-Indonesian crew interact with guests. Many of the mannerisms I encountered were a bit along the lines of "take it or leave it'. Certainly not all, but there was a bit of an attitude as though we were lucky to be on MSC and the 'happy happy washy washy' service attitude was entirely missing for me on the Divina both trips.

I am a MSC fan and think that this line offers tremendous value for the dollar but recommend it only to those who are willing to accept that there is often a yarn of truth in the saying 'you get what you pay for'. People on this board rave bout the YC. I thought it was lovely, but in truth our butler was missing some days, chair service in One Pool was non-existent, and food quality (not quantity) was greatly lacking. But with prices of $989 pp for Yacht Club, I walked away quite pleased and would book again in a New York Minute.

Just my opinion. No disrespect to the loyalists intended :).

I am pleased I started this thread! And I also read the one this morning about the towels on the floor! Another one is people complaining about liquid soap in the showers, don't most people now use that in their own homes anyway? If any of you have access to Shipmate please try to find the thread I mentioned previously by the couple who felt threatened by the crew and the songs being sung in the shows! And how many passengers are walking around with legs and arms in casts,!It is totally brilliant and keeps making me giggle ( which I know I shouldn't ) it is in the chat section for the Divina.

I did go on the Divina in April. Liked it enough to go again this Oct again and taking my parents. Also booked Seaside early 2018.

I too read bad reviews before we went. Scared me a bit (friends found this cruise) BUT I was pleasently surprised. Yes things are a little different. But we still found crew members to smile and talk as much as on our limited past cruises. Portions size never seemed skimpky to me, but anytime we wanted extra or double portion or 2 appetizers or desserts, we got it. We sat at a 4 top and we did not feel it was any slower either.

Only thing that was a little different to me was the main entertainment. Some of it is in Italian (shock an Italian ship), but even if I didn't understand the words it was beautiful. Golly the shows were only about 45-50 minutes long.

We also liked the coupon beer and wine and soda packages. Priced just right and you can share them. Not hard to keep the vouchers in lanyard with the sea pass card.

And we loved our room steward. Did a great job, changed towels twice a day if we needed it.

Dori

Hi Bermuda just to say that yours was one of the threads that I used for reference before our first trip including the Miami information so I appreciate your input. With regards to customer service I actually spent many years as a GM of a boutique hotel in London and can also see the good and the bad. A funny from a couple of years ago I took my then 10 years old niece for a weekend at one of the 5 star hotels on Park Lane as a birthday treat and even at that age she went onto trip advisor to read the reviews and as is now the norm she read the negative ones first and even she could read between the lines!

Hopefully the above link works to a sketch on YouTube of Michael McIntyre a uK comedian about booking a holiday and trip advisor.

Hopefully the above link works to a sketch on YouTube of Michael McIntyre a uK comedian about booking a holiday and trip advisor.

HILARIOUS!!!! That was me when I was searching for our hotel in Venice on Trip Advisor.:D However,,I took my research a step beyond and watched every youtube video, looked at every photo, and read every review, from every travel blogger I could find. In the end,,we are looking forward to spending 5 nights at the Hotel Al Ponte Antico on the Grand Canal,,:D

I think the negative reviews are put up by guests who are too scared to say nice things in case everybody finds out how good MSC are and what great value they offer.

They want to scare people off so that MSC don't start using pricing as a way to reduce numbers as people clamour to cruise with them , which is what would happen if all the reviews were 5 stars.

the laws of supply and demand are being used.

Keep the demand down and prices won't go up

IT'S ALL A CUNNING PLAN

:D:D:D:D

They want to scare people off so that MSC don't start using pricing as a way to reduce number

Really, Pete? Take a look at MSC's pricings for 2017 sailings - actually, you have. You even started a thread regarding next year's Meraviglia's - if those prices don't scare people off, I don't know what will! Having said that, I'm waiting with baited breath for the "Sale of the Century" reduced prices which will satisfy the marketing laws that govern sale prices which must reflect discounts from previously published full prices!

I've also noticed many negative reviews about Divina, but I'd like to address the one-time negative poster comment.

While I wholeheartedly agree that with human nature being what it is, people are much more likely to sign up as a first time poster to write a negative review. HOWEVER; as someone who posts what I believe to be both positive and negative aspects of Divina, I can certainly understand why some of those people posting with a negative opinion (on any line) would not want to post a review that would forever be tied to their screen name as people can get quite hostile toward those who do not adore their cruise line of choice. Even in the absence of hostility, most message boards are far kinder to those who post 'glowing' accounts of vacation experiences. Please note Nikki, I do enjoy your posts and am I am not disagreeing entirely, just offering another possibility behind the motives of the some of the 'one and done' posters.

As most of you know from my postings, I do see areas where MSC can improve and one area is communication (which is challenging due to multi-languages). My first trip on Divina, not one person told me I had to register my account on-board. As a result, at debarkation I did see many folks dong instead of ding which made them frustrated. We also had issues with YC check out and splitting the account, and I am STILL waiting for $109 to be placed back on my CC as promised. As far as the slots to turn on the electricity, absolutely most travel places use these now and many travelers understand, but would it be so difficult for MSC to place information on this when you enter the cabin?

Another area that can be improved upon is customer service. There are cultural differences in the way the Non-Indonesian crew interact with guests. Many of the mannerisms I encountered were a bit along the lines of "take it or leave it'. Certainly not all, but there was a bit of an attitude as though we were lucky to be on MSC and the 'happy happy washy washy' service attitude was entirely missing for me on the Divina both trips.

I am a MSC fan and think that this line offers tremendous value for the dollar but recommend it only to those who are willing to accept that there is often a yarn of truth in the saying 'you get what you pay for'. People on this board rave bout the YC. I thought it was lovely, but in truth our butler was missing some days, chair service in One Pool was non-existent, and food quality (not quantity) was greatly lacking. But with prices of $989 pp for Yacht Club, I walked away quite pleased and would book again in a New York Minute.

Where did you find $989pp for YC? TA rates or Interline? That's a great price.

None taken. I agree with a lot of what you've posted. I've experienced lack of service at the One Pool in YC, an MIA butler and poor food quality, but I weigh that up against the price I've paid and the overall experience far exceeds the price I've paid. I've also experienced service from an amazing butler, terrific service from YC restaurant waiters, attention from the m'D and sommelier and unbelievable concern that my cruise should be the best ever from a head butler and concierge. In fact, I was on a Divina Grand Voyage cruise in a balcony cabin a few weeks after I'd been in YC; the same head butler treated me the same way as though I were still a YC customer (which is VERY unusual as, once you're not in YC, the crew from that area don't want to know you!). He went so far as to give me his contact number - he'd planned to arrange a day visit to YC for us - but we ended up not availing of his generous plan as we couldn't bring ourselves to taking advantage of it, so didn't ring him 'til the end of our cruise, when he told us he'd been waiting for a call from us!

I saw a post on ship mate where the poster said they were scared and felt threatened and that racist remarks were made.... ready for the racist remark... "dem Americans" !! It was a totally whacky post and of all the bad reviews I have read this was over the top. I asked if they knew what the word racist meant. ... of course no response. Now on my first cruise on Divina another American made racist remarks to me and I had to get that straight quick but it wasn't MSC'S fault at all.

I agree with people hear some get upset over things they could/should have known prior to the cruise. Others your probably just not going to please.

Those people are 1 post wonders never to be heard from again.