Sea-Tac Airport Hotel and Light Rail System?

We would like to book a few night pre-cruise in Seattle but don't want to pay the high prices of the downtown hotels.

The airport hotels are more reasonable and we can take the light rail downtown to visit the city and just use a cab or shuttle company to get to the pier on departure day.

Some of the hotels I am looking at offer free shuttle service within a few miles radius which would be the airport, light rail and nearby restaurants and they offer free breakfast.

Does anyone have any experience with the light rail system and staying up at the airport for a few days?

We would like to book a few night pre-cruise in Seattle but don't want to pay the high prices of the downtown hotels.

The airport hotels are more reasonable and we can take the light rail downtown to visit the city and just use a cab or shuttle company to get to the pier on departure day.

Some of the hotels I am looking at offer free shuttle service within a few miles radius which would be the airport, light rail and nearby restaurants and they offer free breakfast.

Does anyone have any experience with the light rail system and staying up at the airport for a few days?

Staying at a Airport Hotel and taking the light rail to downtown is the right way to go. You can take the Hotel shuttle service to the Airport and take the light rail (a 5 to 10 minute walk to the Light Rail station). The light rail is not used much and mainly goes through the rough area of Seattle, but they have added security to make your ride safe. You can do all of the attractions in Downtown Seattle in 4 hours. The Museum of Flight- Over 100 Airplanes going back to WW1 to the latest Boeing Plane, the 787) is close to SeaTac and would be a fairly cheap Cab fare. Also staying at Sea Tac, you can rent a car easily and explore the area ( Mt Rainier is only a 75 minute drive from Sea Tac.)

In January we stayed at the Sleep Inn on International Blvd. Good value here. Rooms were not large but nice and clean. We used their shuttle to get to the light rail. We were dropped off right at the station and just went up the elevator to the platform and purchased our ticket. If you are dropped off at the airport, it is a bit of a hike back to the station. When we returned, we called and were picked up where they dropped us off. After walking around downtown all day, we were glad to not have to walk to the airport from the station to catch the shuttle.

There are so many interesting places to visit in the Seattle area and it is nice to have a car but not to see downtown. The light rail is the way to go!

I am planning the same thing for August of 2017.

Thanks for all the great feedback!

I feel very confident in my decision now.

The Sleep Inn is the hotel that I am most interested in at this time. Seems to get good reviews and offers the shuttle.

Hampton Inn is the hotel I am leaning towards.

We just stayed 2 night pre-cruise downtown but as we had an early flight home we stayed at the Crown Plaza at SeaTac. It is located right next to the light rail. Probably the closest place to it, the Clarion is pretty close too. It also has a free shuttle to and from the airport. We were checking bags with in 10 min of getting on the shuttle and that includes standing in line with a few people ahead of us.

There is an entrance on the same side as the Crown Plaza with an elevator you can see the cat walk over Intl Blvd on the map.

I can't figure out how to embed the map, sorry.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Crowne+Plaza+Seattle+Airport/@47.4472808,-122.2966466,17z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x54905cac52080fb1:0x7f1a544d4de09261!8m2!3d47.447074!4d-122.295284

We just stayed 2 night pre-cruise downtown but as we had an early flight home we stayed at the Crown Plaza at SeaTac. It is located right next to the light rail. Probably the closest place to it, the Clarion is pretty close too. It also has a free shuttle to and from the airport. We were checking bags with in 10 min of getting on the shuttle and that includes standing in line with a few people ahead of us.

There is an entrance on the same side as the Crown Plaza with an elevator you can see the cat walk over Intl Blvd on the map.

I can't figure out how to embed the map, sorry.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Crowne+Plaza+Seattle+Airport/@47.4472808,-122.2966466,17z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x54905cac52080fb1:0x7f1a544d4de09261!8m2!3d47.447074!4d-122.295284

Do they offer free breakfast? How did you get to the pier? How much was it? Thanks

We're staying at the Radisson at Seatac next month for two nights before our cruise. I chose it because we have a late arrival. We will have just one day in Seattle and are planning on taking the light rail into town. We have been there a few times before, but there are more places for us to see.

If we had longer, we would rent a car and drive to Tacoma, Mount Rainier, and maybe Snowqualmie again. We'd still take the light rail into the city though. Parking isn't easy. The time we went to the Space Needle, my brother drove us. He had a parking spot for work so we did not have to worry about that.

Do they offer free breakfast? How did you get to the pier? How much was it? Thanks

To be honest I can't remember if it was offered. Our flight was at 530a so we were on the 4a shuttle and got a quick bite at the airport.

As we were staying post cruise we took a cab from Pier 66 which was $40 pre tip for three of us. We had stored our bags at the dock to tour a little more of Seattle and picked them up by 330p (they close then) and watched the NCL Pearl depart.

Just a heads up but if the shuttle from hotel drops off at the airport the Link station there is WAY out at the far end of the parking ramp so be prepared for a hike. Just when you think you are there you turn the corner and see another endless stretch ahead - you get to the end of that and there's more! Seems to me it would be the perfect place for one of those moving belt people movers.

None the less I use this when I travel for work. I park at my son's house and ride to airport from UW station and then return to meet him downtown where he works. Very slick. And yes, some of the route is "interesting". ;)

Edited by Sequim88

Very happy to read the feedback on the SeaTac hotels and light rail. This is what we have planned for next June. The light rail and SeaTac hotel prices are making it very reasonable to come out to Seattle 3 days ahead of our cruise. We have the Holiday Inn Express booked at a very good price, and the hotel gets good reviews, so we are looking forward to the trip.

And thanks for the info on the "Interesting" areas that we will travel thru. I'm sure we'll be safe with the Transit Police watching over things.

Edited by papakaiser

Just go on Tripadvisor or on any hotel site and sort the Sea-Tac hotels by star ratings, and what you want like airport shuttle, free breakfast, free parking, wifi, etc. and it will sort them out for you, then you can choose between the ones that have everything you need.

i've narrowed mine down to the Sleep Inn, Best Western, Hampton, Radisson,

Crown Plaza and Ramada Suites.

I know the Radisson doesn't have free breakfast but believe it's within walking distance to the airport. It doesn't look like the Crown Plaza does either.

I know the Sleep Inn, Hampton, BW and Ramada do.

Edited by Upper Deck Dad

Just a heads up but if the shuttle from hotel drops off at the airport the Link station there is WAY out at the far end of the parking ramp so be prepared for a hike. Just when you think you are there you turn the corner and see another endless stretch ahead - you get to the end of that and there's more! Seems to me it would be the perfect place for one of those moving belt people movers.

None the less I use this when I travel for work. I park at my son's house and ride to airport from UW station and then return to meet him downtown where he works. Very slick. And yes, some of the route is "interesting". ;)

This is why we were glad that the Sleep Inn dropped us at the station instead of the airport. Don't know if all airport hotels are willing to do this. Best to call and ask as some may only "shuttle" to and from SEA.

We live in the Seattle area and will take light rail into Downtown to walk around. It lets off at Westlake and if you take the monorail from there it goes to the space needle. About a 6 block walk from Westlake to Pike Place Market which is a must see fun place. There are ghost tours and lots of fun stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just did this at the end of a cruise for one night, then did light rail back to Seattle to see a few more things. We stayed at the Hilton, which is RIGHT across the street from the light rail. You cross the street, go up the elevator and are under a covered walkway to the trains. It was excellent.

I used Hilton points, so I'm not sure how the prices are for this hotel, but you can't get more convenient to the light rail, I wouldn't think.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I called Hilton and they say they are the closest to link rail. Is that accurate? Also, they have Seattle Express Shuttle for $15 that will take to the pier. Would this work? I am solo this time, and I want to go explore downtown using Link, Monorail and then return to sleep and leave for cruise next morning. Thanks for the information/help.

I called Hilton and they say they are the closest to link rail. Is that accurate? Also, they have Seattle Express Shuttle for $15 that will take to the pier. Would this work? I am solo this time, and I want to go explore downtown using Link, Monorail and then return to sleep and leave for cruise next morning. Thanks for the information/help.

Look here: https://goo.gl/maps/FySZA61Rtju (Use your cursor to pan the image through a full circle.)

I would say the Hilton, Crown Plaza, and the Clarion are the closest three and the Hilton and CP look to be a toss up. If the Hilton is closer than the CP it's not by a heck of a lot. It might depend on where the front door of the hotel is located :)

Link is a great option for hopping downtown for the day and touring. One caution would be if it is a weekday wait for the morning commute to end and return after 6-7pm. Otherwise it could be really crowded. On the other hand the airport is the current end of the line going back so it does thin out fairly fast after leaving the industrial areas. In morning train would be empty when boarding but fill up fast.

• 1 month later...