car rentals in Juneau

baxley

I would be very interested in hearing from people who rented cars in Juneau. Which company did you use, was your experience good, how hard was it to get to the rental office, etc. Thanks for all your help.

We’ve been using Juneau Car Rental for several years. They are located about 1 mile south of the tram near the AJ dock. 15-20 minute walk from the tram or if there is a ship at the AJ Dock there is a bus between there and the tram for $4 that runs every 15 minutes or so. You pay at a kiosk at the dock. The cars are not new but we’ve never had a problem with them. If your ship docks at AJ, it would be the most convenient rental location.

I've used Avis at the Rivergold Hotel several times, with no complaints.

The one time I tried to use them, there was no agent to rent a car and we had to scramble for alternate transportation on a whale watch trip. This was on May 19 this year. I'm sure this was an exception, but it did happen.

I was there a few minutes before 8am when they opened, #3 in line. Needed to be at Auke bay by 9:15, left at 8:30am, with a room full of other people waiting, and walked back almost to the ship.

Whatever car rental you have planned in Juneau, have a backup plan as well. You just might need it.

Also, our rental with Avis in Skagway the following day was perfect.

Edited by flatlander321

We also had a problem with Avis in Juneau. The person at the counter really didn't know what she was doing. We were 4th in line and after 1 hour and 15 minutes we had to get a cab so as to not miss our booked excursions. The next day on the ship we ran into the person that was in front of us and he said he was there for another hour and a half before he got his car. (For his own reasons, he couldn't leave). The girl at the concierge desk for the hotel was kind enough to make the arrangements for us and get the cab. Good luck!

I've used Juneau Car Rental several times. The people are nice and helpful, the rates are reasonable, and I don't mind the walk to their office/lot. It also doesn't bother me to have a slightly older car. I have never had to wait. Once I get to the office, it takes about five minutes to finish the paper work and get the car.

We docked at the AJ dock and thus had selected Juneau Car Rental for proximity. Very short walk, quick checkout. The cars are older and not typical rental cars (like a PT Cruiser) but we didn't have a problem. No one was there when we returned it (they had told us that would be the case) so we just dropped the keys.

Once you have a car, what are some areas worth visiting?

OK, a fast list=

Mendenhall Glacier, Fish Hatchery, Alaskan Brewery, Glacier Gardens, Chapel on the Lake, St. Theresa's Shrine, Eagle Beach, to end of road. numerous Auke Bay pull offs (I spent about 4 hours doing this , watching a humpback right below me- was - fantastic :) :) unbelievable viewing- that I had never had there before), drive south to end of road, Douglas Island. etc etc etc (McDonalds, Fred Meyer :) )

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Another vote for Juneau car rental. Their prices for our August cruise was 60 for the day for an older Saturn. The walk was a little less than 15 minutes for me to get to the office. Very quick to get the car.

I highly recommend doing the rental car in Juneau, as you get so much more mobility, see more things and its cheaper as well. We saw the glacier and went up the coastal road to Eagle Beach, saw a bear eating salmon at the creek there, had a memorable day.