Is the outside beverage ban making you look elsewhere??

UPNYGuy

If there are actually people out there who are so entitled that they can't drink Pepsi for a week instead of Coke, then I have no idea what to say to that.

I wonder what would happen if NCL signed an exclusive deal with Skyy and the only liquor served on board would be vodka? No Captain Morgan, no Jack Daniels, no wine of any type--just vodka. I think a lot of the people who are calling out coke drinkers for being "entitled" would be singing their own "entitled" tune if that happened.

I'm not saying that's you specifically, but I've seen a lot of these types of posts and I just think we need to walk a mile in someone else's shoes before making generalizations like this.

Edited by cruisebie

OK, I've kept my patience while you eco-warriors have made crack after crack about bottled water, but enough.

There are times when bottled water make sense to carry along for convenience sake - even I will admit that, and I think my wife wastes an inordinate amount of money on bottled water.

HOWEVER, if you have water onboard that is created by a virtually identical process to most of the bottled water sold today, and it is included in your cruise fare, why not purchase (cheaply) a reusable Brita bottle that will filter chlorine, which gives you the same thing and frees you from lugging cases around, and producing all the waste?

Producing waste on land is one thing - there are systems in place in most large cities to haul it away and recycle it for you - you may have to sort it, but it's stored in a container in your alley until it is removed. On a ship, it is constantly taking up resources since it has to be stored until the ship returns to port, which means it is cargo the entire time.

Finally, many of us are not concerned with the waste of resources and money of all the people buying bottled water anywhere - we're just stunned that people will buy it at all - when it flows freely from the taps.

People are not complaining about bottled water. They are complaining about the price. They fail to realize that filtered tap water is included in the cruise fare, and is available all over the ship, just not in bottles. If you bring your own bottle, the problem is solved. If you have a reaction to chlorine, a filter bottle will remove the chlorine from the water (according to Brita's website, anyway.)

Yes; Platinum Latitudes cruiser and am most definitely considering other options including land based vacations. Not only because of the change in being able to bring on water/soda, but because of ALL of the recent changes. I view this as an unstable product and I am too much of a control freak regarding my vacation plans to roll with it......especially with changes being made after final payment.

20 cruises with them and NCL probably won't even notice when I'm gone....

This is pretty much where I'm at. I'm not going to say I won't cruise NCL again, but right now it is an unstable product and the fact that changes are being made that affect people that are inside final payment and can be reasonably assumed to have bought airfare already bothers me. I couldn't cancel right now if I wanted to without losing a sum of money.

We also have the UDP that was offered as a perk last winter. No idea what that will or will not be worth in September when we step on the Epic.

It's not about the water and sodas. It's the total disrespect for the customer and the sheer number of changes that have been made.

There are times when bottled water make sense to carry along for convenience sake - even I will admit that, and I think my wife wastes an inordinate amount of money on bottled water.

[Original post edited to reduce overall length.]

HOWEVER, if you have water onboard that is created by a virtually identical process to most of the bottled water sold today, and it is included in your cruise fare, why not purchase (cheaply) a reusable Brita bottle that will filter chlorine, which gives you the same thing and frees you from lugging cases around, and producing all the waste?

People are not complaining about bottled water. They are complaining about the price. They fail to realize that filtered tap water is included in the cruise fare, and is available all over the ship, just not in bottles. If you bring your own bottle, the problem is solved. If you have a reaction to chlorine, a filter bottle will remove the chlorine from the water (according to Brita's website, anyway.)

Xriva - the poster I quoted called bottled water "a crime against humanity." That's different than the points you are making. Hope you don't mind that I shortened my quote of your post, but I thought my response might be long.

It's certainly good to clarify for those who might not know that there is potable water available free on the ship. And I'm not an "exclusive" bottled water drinker.

You ask why not just use a filter bottle. The simple answer for me is that using those filters doesn't -- in the instance if ship water -- make a difference in the taste of the water.

I'm not an exclusive bottled water drinker. I drink tap water at home. We have a well with a whole house filter and a second filter in the dispenser in the fridge. It tastes fine.

In our last house, we had city water that we ran through a Brita filter, to get rid of the chlorine (so I know what that tastes and smells like when it's the problem). In that case, the Brita was a good fix. But the issue with ship water is like the issue I have at work.

The water where I work tastes disgusting. It is also from a well and is run through several different filtration systems to make it "clean." When I first started working there, I brought a Brita-type bottle hoping it would improve the taste, but found it had no effect on the taste. I don't use the ice in the cafeteria because it gives whatever beverage it is in an "off" flavor.

The same has been the case on every ship I've been on. The water tastes stale. More filtering doesn't help. It just tastes bad. For me, bottled is the only solution (and hopefully, Evian isn't the only bottled option).

I wish I could solve my issue with the water simply by using a filter bottle, but I can't. I'll acknowledge that it's a matter of taste, not a "necessity." But given a choice in the future between NCL and cruise lines that allow carry-on beverages or have at least one beverage package that includes bottled water, this is a factor against NCL.

Edited by jm485

The honest truth is, no it won't stop us booking NCL. Yes we normally do take a couple of bottles of water on board to have in the cabin at night if needed. Otherwise I don't have a problem drinking the water from the Buffet or what's given free in the MDR. IMO water is seriously overpiced on Cruiseships and I just won't pay these sorts of prices for water, Gin maybe, but certainly not water !! . So if push come to shove I will just take a glass of water from the Buffet each evening to my room.

<snip!>

The same has been the case on every ship I've been on. The water tastes stale. More filtering doesn't help. It just tastes bad. For me, bottled is the only solution (and hopefully, Evian isn't the only bottled option).

I wish I could solve my issue with the water simply by using a filter bottle, but I can't. I'll acknowledge that it's a matter of taste, not a "necessity." But given a choice in the future between NCL and cruise lines that allow carry-on beverages or have at least one beverage package that includes bottled water, this is a factor against NCL.

Hey, at least you've tried a filtered bottle - that puts you ahead of a lot of people. My wife uses the little flavor packets with whatever bottled water she has, which seems to help, because she never seems to be consistent on water.

I think the water onboard is Aquafina, since that's Pepsi's water. (So, the Coke people should be complaining it's not Dasani :)

Edited by xriva

It will, for me. This is our first Norwegian cruise and only our second cruise. We leave for Alaska on the Jewel on July 30 and previously sailed with Carnival. We typically take vacations to land resorts and we are somewhat brand loyal. I do feel nickel and dimed. We chose NCL because of the reputation and the itinerary, but this beverage situation has made me do a little more research and gain familiarity with other lines. Part of it is the change and part of it is the way it was handled. I get that NCL can do what's right for their business, but I have a choice, as well. We may cruise with NCL later or we may not. I don't think I'll be brand loyal, though.

Yes. We generally stick to Norwegian and Royal and will now lean towards Royal, all else being approximately even.

I always bring bottled coke and spring water (still, not sparkling) on board. If I could purchase the same thing on the ships and keep them in my cabin refrigerator I'd gladly pay extra for the convenience of not having to carry them onboard.

Yes, of course I could live without my beverages of choice for a week. I could also probably live without air conditioning, a mattress, and indoor plumbing but it's not how I would choose to spend my vacation.

"Entitlement" has nothing to do with it. NCL has a perfect right to implement whatever policies they want, just as I have a perfect right to take their policies into consideration when planning my vacation. I do think it's wrong of them to put the new policy into effect when some people are already past final payment date; fortunately for me I'm not in this situation but I sympathize with the people that are.

Our last several cruises have been on NCL, but, even though we're on the verge of platinum, I think it's time for a switch. We just booked MSC for a Caribbean cruise and I'm pretty close to cancelling NCL for Europe next summer and going with MSC instead.

It's not just the beverage policy though. It's more of an overall vibe and a general deterioration in general. The beverage policy was kind of a breaking point for me, even though I've never brought a beverage on board and have no intention to do so. Well, the beverage policy and the Freestyle Daily on our cruise last month on Jade. The room service language -- that $7.95 would be added "for your convenience" -- really made me angry. Again, this didn't affect us -- we were in a suite. I know we all get somewhat used to marketspeak, but the overall marketing around added revenue by NCL is just so cynical and unpleasant.

Vacations are weird. I just find myself so turned off by the entire approach. After reading that "for your convenience" line in the daily I found myself getting annoyed by little things that never used to bother me -- like the pushy photographers. Usually, I'd just say politely, "no thanks," but I guess once things hit a critical mass I found myself unduly annoyed and there is just way too much competition out there to be annoyed on vacation.

Our last several cruises have been on NCL, but, even though we're on the verge of platinum, I think it's time for a switch. We just booked MSC for a Caribbean cruise and I'm pretty close to cancelling NCL for Europe next summer and going with MSC instead.

It's not just the beverage policy though. It's more of an overall vibe and a general deterioration in general. The beverage policy was kind of a breaking point for me, even though I've never brought a beverage on board and have no intention to do so. Well, the beverage policy and the Freestyle Daily on our cruise last month on Jade. The room service language -- that $7.95 would be added "for your convenience" -- really made me angry. Again, this didn't affect us -- we were in a suite. I know we all get somewhat used to marketspeak, but the overall marketing around added revenue by NCL is just so cynical and unpleasant.

Vacations are weird. I just find myself so turned off by the entire approach. After reading that "for your convenience" line in the daily I found myself getting annoyed by little things that never used to bother me -- like the pushy photographers. Usually, I'd just say politely, "no thanks," but I guess once things hit a critical mass I found myself unduly annoyed and there is just way too much competition out there to be annoyed on vacation.

We were looking at CC for NCL cruise thoughts, this would be our first NCL after 20 Royal and Celebrity cruises and we thought to have a change...but The attitude has turned us off....Back to Oasis, Allure, Solstace (etc) ..

It will make me rethink cruise lines.

My family are Coke drinkers and will bring a bottle or two back to our room from ports of call.

We also have unlimited beverage plan and will use occasionally. NCL water package is a joke.

We were on carnival in May and pre - purchased water and thought their price was very reasonable.

At this point I am more annoyed by the way the change was communicated and the lack of further response. Dropping the press release on the Friday before a holiday weekend was cowardly. The phone conversations that other posters have reported are infuriating. There is a serious lack of concern for even the most basic customer service. You can hold your ground about the changes without being outwardly rude about it. At least for my November cruise, I'm stuck paying their prices for bottled water because the ship water makes my ankles swell. I like to be able to wear my sandals on a cruise. Bare feet are a bit tacky.

The price of water is crazy but not much more than a theme park or sporting event. A captive audience is fair game I guess. I'll just spend less on other things like shoreEx and shopping on the ship. I am still well before final payment and have not been notified. Not sure if I will still buy the two Next Cruise certificates as I had originally planned.

Are you saying you pack 18 different outfits? You're kidding, right?

For a 7 night cruise 18 isn't that many. That's less than 3 outfits a day, most will use at least 2 (Day and evening) not counting swimwear. I'm sure I carry at least 18 as I bring workout gear as well. :D

While my number is south of 18, you can definitely chide me about the number of shoes I pack. ;)

I have given up on brand loyalty and now go with who has a ship going where I want to go, when I am available to go, at a price I want to pay. I look at the bottom line and decide if I can live with it. MSC status match was the dark horse of the year so far and the onboard experience far exceeded expectations so they are on the definite contender list. I'm on the Escape soon and the onboard experience will determine if I keep NCL on the radar. Otherwise I've got bookings currently also with CCL and RCI. All these policy changes do is keep me from being loyal, which is probably what the companies now want; loyalty cruisers is not where the game is at. I don't particularly get a warm fuzzy feeling from NCL with all their changes, but I'll reserve final judgment until my next cruise and see if I have a good time or not. Probably will have a good time.

Edited by LMaxwell

I wish this had been posted as a poll so we could see actual numbers of those who will change lines because of water and/or Coke products.

For us, no. I do not drink Pepsi under any circumstance but I will not lose my mind without a Coke Zero for a week, lol. Now, if NCL decided to go alcohol-free, then we'd bail!!

As long as they have ships I want to explore going to places I want to visit, I will stay with NCL.

My husband and I do not drink alcohol or soda. We drink water. What I am upset about is the price they charge for their water. So on our October cruise we will be bringing our refillable bottle. I just have to decide do we fill the bottle on the lido or get several glasses at a time to fill the bottle up. I think lots of people are not going to like the drink line up. By the way we have yet to get an email about this policy. #lowerwaterpricesncl

YES

It's OUR vacation not NCLs

We are allowed to take our own bottled water bought at an airport onto a plane and lug water into a posh hotel.

Water is a matter of taste, and not all bottled water tastes the same.

No bottle water...first world problems...

I seriously don't get why people think bottled water is better than some tap water (filtered in your brita or thru your refrig)...and pay for it...

Call be a cheapskate but I drink water... I drink water in the buffet, at dinner, even from the tap at school....

YES

It's OUR vacation not NCLs

We are allowed to take our own bottled water bought at an airport onto a plane and lug water into a posh hotel.

Water is a matter of taste, and not all bottled water tastes the same.

But you can not bring any water (liquid) through security, you can only bring water on the plane if it was purchased after the TSA check-in. That is what NCL is doing, no bottled water after the security check point..