World cruise- closet space?

EeezyCruiser

There doesn't seem to be A roll call yet for the Vikings Sun world cruise in December 2017 but in the meantime I have a question on the closet space on the Viking ocean ships.

Looking at the pictures and floorplans the closet seems to be extremely small, especially for a 141 day cruise.

Could someone please comment on the size of the closets as this is one aspect of the beautiful cruise that worries me.

PS we will have a penthouse for veranda, if that makes a difference.

We are just off the Sea in a DV room. I knew someone would be asking and so I measured--using my handy-dandy never leave home without it measuring device. The closet measured just a bit more than my armspan--which on a real ruler measures just under 5 feet. So, there is about five feet hanging space. There is a shelf across the whole top of the closet and unobstructed floor below. (There is room under the bed to store suitcases). The closet is furnished with wooden hangers--both plain and clippy skirt varieties.

What is in short supply is drawers. There were three in our DV stateroom of any size plus two in the bathroom (but you'll want those for organizing bathroom items) and a smaller one in each nightstand (which we never opened. If I were travel for four months, I think that I would want something to help me maximize the shelf space in the room. With some help, you can store a lot up there and with help, you could probably increase the usable volume significantly. Actually, it would be helping DH maximize the shelf space since I can't easily reach them and would demand that he use them and give me the drawers which are more at my height.

Here is a link to pictures I took of the ship. It includes stateroom, bathroom and general photos. And here is a photo of the closet in the DV room.

ry%3D400

Google "Cruise packing tips and tricks" and you will come up with a lot of really useful information. It's all about making your clothing work double for you. My parents just went to Italy for three months and being in their mid-80s, and not too robust anymore, they took only 2 carry-ons and 2 totes with them. Yes, that's it. And this was arriving in a brisk April spring and departing in a sweltering July. They did it by packing clothing that they could layer and easily wash. Read the Google articles about how to pack light. They're full of good tips. It's liberating not to travel laden down with heavy bags and also, not to be beholden to limited closet space.

I agree with Peregrina that the closet space on Viking could be better--heck I think it could be better on all cruise lines--but that's a cruise for you. Forewarned is forearmed so learn about to choose your wardrobe wisely, and maybe bring a few storage helpers like the ones seen in this article about surviving a college dorm room (the only other place as skimpy with space as a cruise cabin ;) ) http://www.hercampus.com/school/lasell/how-maximize-space-college-closet

There doesn't seem to be A roll call yet for the Vikings Sun world cruise in December 2017 but in the meantime I have a question on the closet space on the Viking ocean ships.

Looking at the pictures and floorplans the closet seems to be extremely small, especially for a 141 day cruise.

Could someone please comment on the size of the closets as this is one aspect of the beautiful cruise that worries me.

PS we will have a penthouse for veranda, if that makes a difference.

EeezyCruiser

We asked CC "Help Jenn" if a forum for Viking Sun Roll Call can be established so a roll call can be started for the World Cruise. She said she would but it has not occurred yet. We also asked Viking about establishing a FAQ for the World Cruise but they indicated to send them all questions and they will provide a response separately.

We also have a questions with regards to the World Cruise and having a forum would be nice. Good thing we have 519 days to plan.

EeezyCruiser

We asked CC "Help Jenn" if a forum for Viking Sun Roll Call can be established so a roll call can be started for the World Cruise. She said she would but it has not occurred yet. We also asked Viking about establishing a FAQ for the World Cruise but they indicated to send them all questions and they will provide a response separately.

We also have a questions with regards to the World Cruise and having a forum would be nice. Good thing we have 519 days to plan.

So why doesn't someone start an "All Things Viking World Cruise" thread here in the Viking Oceans forum?? There aren't any rules against it; members can start threads on any topic they wish. Moreover, there are times that folks want information about a topic without necessarily wanting to participate in a roll call. Moreover, having a general thread here does not mean there can't also be a roll call. A general thread, especially at this point in time when there aren't a huge number of general participants in this forum, will mean that you may get answers from folks who have already sailed with Viking or even people who have done world cruises--just the people you want to get answers from. A roll call sometimes limits your audience to just those on the cruise--the blind leading the blind. IMHO, sometimes you need both a general thread for gathering information from a broad-base of CCers and a roll call for more social interactions and tour sharing (which can't be done on a general thread). The idea of a general thread in the wide open VO forum is to have a larger audience to share their experiences and to help answer questions; it is information gathering more than socializing.

I would not try to turn this particular thread into the general thread because the title is misleading and if I were on the World Cruise, I would be starting the thread myself instead of suggesting that someone else should do it. The first question I would ask would be, and I would lead off with a question, "If there were an FAQ page for the World Cruise, what questions would you like it to answer?" Something pithy and very open ended to get the conversational ball rolling.

So why doesn't someone start an "All Things Viking World Cruise" thread here in the Viking Oceans forum?? There aren't any rules against it; members can start threads on any topic they wish. Moreover, there are times that folks want information about a topic without necessarily wanting to participate in a roll call. Moreover, having a general thread here does not mean there can't also be a roll call. A general thread, especially at this point in time when there aren't a huge number of general participants in this forum, will mean that you may get answers from folks who have already sailed with Viking or even people who have done world cruises--just the people you want to get answers from. A roll call sometimes limits your audience to just those on the cruise--the blind leading the blind. IMHO, sometimes you need both a general thread for gathering information from a broad-base of CCers and a roll call for more social interactions and tour sharing (which can't be done on a general thread). The idea of a general thread in the wide open VO forum is to have a larger audience to share their experiences and to help answer questions; it is information gathering more than socializing.

I would not try to turn this particular thread into the general thread because the title is misleading and if I were on the World Cruise, I would be starting the thread myself instead of suggesting that someone else should do it. The first question I would ask would be, and I would lead off with a question, "If there were an FAQ page for the World Cruise, what questions would you like it to answer?" Something pithy and very open ended to get the conversational ball rolling.

Great suggestion. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't need it for my two week cruise, but I felt that there was more than enough space in the bathroom drawers for bathroom things - maybe you could use one as an underwear drawer or a jewelry drawer or a "miscellaneous stuff I may not even need" drawer. Of course, my "may not even need" stuff went in my suitcase under the bed...

Smart move, Peregrina, to measure the storage space. It amazes me how many people always want to know that kind of thing!

All I can add to this is that I'm jealous :D We got the brochure for that and I would so love to do it! Logistically, I don't think we could be away from home for that long - how do you manage? My cat would never forgive me! We could probably stretch the budget, but that would be a BIG stretch.

We are doing a Viking River cruise at the end of next month. Under the roll calls for all river cruises, we have set up itinerary and year threads. For instance Viking Rhine Getaway 2016 is the one I've been following, but I also read the 2015 thread for great info. I'll be watching for your thread, so I can cruise vicariously with you!

We do have a couple of Viking Ocean itineraries we're considering, but unfortunately the World Cruise didn't make the cut. :(

Do have a wonderful time and tell us all about it! In the mean time, I'm buying lottery tickets!

Cyber Cat - you mentioned that you have a penthouse verandah - we had that category and it has additional storage over v and dv with a full sized dresser that I believe had 6 drawers of good space. It had the closet with the shelf across the top and open on bottom, as well as the two small drawers bedside, and two small drawers in bath.

Hope that helps.

Cyber Cat - you mentioned that you have a penthouse verandah - we had that category and it has additional storage over v and dv with a full sized dresser that I believe had 6 drawers of good space. It had the closet with the shelf across the top and open on bottom, as well as the two small drawers bedside, and two small drawers in bath.

Hope that helps.

I wish :). But sadly not me. I'm just following so I can drool

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Had to laugh, sorry, when I read this thread.

We met a couple on HAL who had done that cruise lines around the world cruise, TWICE.

I asked the wife how one packs for a cruise that long. Her reply: " I simply buy clothes as we go along and then leave what I don't want to take home."

In case you're wondering, I was, her husband was a retired neurosurgeon! :)

Thank you all for your info. We're planning (18 mos ahead!) on ordering felt hangars from Amazon (they're thin) and have them shipped directly to the ship. Also buying pop up hampers, perhaps for shoes/et all, for the floor of the closet.

We've cruised for 90 days already, and know that we're going to be squeezed for hangar space.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
We are just off the Sea in a DV room. I knew someone would be asking and so I measured--using my handy-dandy never leave home without it measuring device. The closet measured just a bit more than my armspan--which on a real ruler measures just under 5 feet. So, there is about five feet hanging space. There is a shelf across the whole top of the closet and unobstructed floor below. (There is room under the bed to store suitcases). The closet is furnished with wooden hangers--both plain and clippy skirt varieties.

What is in short supply is drawers. There were three in our DV stateroom of any size plus two in the bathroom (but you'll want those for organizing bathroom items) and a smaller one in each nightstand (which we never opened. If I were travel for four months, I think that I would want something to help me maximize the shelf space in the room. With some help, you can store a lot up there and with help, you could probably increase the usable volume significantly. Actually, it would be helping DH maximize the shelf space since I can't easily reach them and would demand that he use them and give me the drawers which are more at my height.

Here is a link to pictures I took of the ship. It includes stateroom, bathroom and general photos. And here is a photo of the closet in the DV room.

ry%3D400

Thanks so much for providing this link to your photo album of the ship. It gave me lots of information I didn't have and will help with packing.

• 1 month later...

ry%3D400

Excellent pictures. I'm a visual person and that helped immensely. Thanks!