Trip Insurance - Am I already covered?

I am a great believer in trip insurance. A couple of years ago my DH had to cancel an international trip (not a cruise) at the last minute due to a health emergency, and when we had trouble getting the insurance company to come through, our insurance broker Steve at tripinsurancestore.com, came through for us in a big way, and was able to get our full claim paid.

I just booked an Alaska cruise for next summer and spent the morning on the phone with Blue Shield and Chase Sapphire. The Chase representative spent a long time going over the trip cancellation/interruption/luggage etc. benefits and emailed me the paperwork detailing coverage. Because we have no pre-existing conditions at the time of booking the cruise, we are covered for up to $10,000 per person for the trip. (If we were to purchase another travel insurance plan, Chase's benefits would all become secondary. The luggage benefits are also secondary to any compensation provided by the airlines, cruise line, etc.)

We won't be renting a car, but I know that Chase Sapphire's collision insurance is primary, if you decline the rental company's coverage. My sister was in a fender bender (not her fault) in a rental she charged to her Chase Sapphire card, and was happy that her own auto insurance didn't have to get involved. (This insurance only applies to rental cars on trips away from your primary residence, however, as it's meant to be for vacation rentals.)

According to my conversation with Blue Shield, we are also covered for any emergency/urgent medical benefits while on our trip, including evacuation to the nearest hospital if necessary.

Because I am a worrier who has been known to, at times, pay unnecessarily for insurance of all kinds "just in case", I called tripinsurancestore, seeking advice. I told the representative I would be willing to buy a plan, based on their recommendation.

To my surprise, she told me that with my Chase Sapphire and Blue Shield protection, she felt I was adequately covered, and that an additional plan would be an unneeded expense.

One of the things I love about tripinsurancestore is that I feel they are completely trustworthy, and will never try to sell you more than you need.

Of course, I couldn't find any online reviews of anyone who has had to use Blue Shield in an emergency out-of-state situation, but, I think this time I will just trust what I have. If anyone has had any experience with this, I would appreciate hearing about it.

I wanted to post this, just in case anyone is in a similar situation. (Not having any pre-existing conditions, and going on a domestic trip that will cost less than $10,000 per person are key factors.) This is in no way advising against trip insurance (I am a huge believer in being fully covered), however, it might be worth a call to a trustworthy broker to see if an additional plan is necessary.

Edited by ams cruiser

Your own personal medical should cover emergency care in the states. Check that policy for details, especially for any emergency transfers such as air ambulance coverage. $10000 may cover a short ER visit for abdominal pain, for instance, but not surgery for appendectomy. Probably would cover ER for chest pain, but no hospital stay. You will be in Canada for at least one day, and away from port a few sea days. The biggest cost is emergency evacuation from a small hospital to one with better facilities can be $50,000.

Your own personal medical should cover emergency care in the states. Check that policy for details, especially for any emergency transfers such as air ambulance coverage. $10000 may cover a short ER visit for abdominal pain, for instance, but not surgery for appendectomy. Probably would cover ER for chest pain, but no hospital stay. You will be in Canada for at least one day, and away from port a few sea days. The biggest cost is emergency evacuation from a small hospital to one with better facilities can be $50,000.

Thanks for the heads-up! Actually, the Chase Sapphire $10,000 is only for non-medical expenses, for example, trip cancellation/interruption/lost luggage, etc. Our health insurance is through Blue Shield, and their representative told me that all emergency/urgent care medical expenses would be covered, including emergency evacuation, if necessary, and that there is no dollar limit.

I think we will be in Victoria for a few hours in the evening, and there is just one sea day between Seattle and Juneau.

The worrier in me wonders if this is adequate, but the insurance broker told me that between Chase Sapphire and Blue Shield, we will be covered.

Edited by ams cruiser

Ask Blue Shield to point out where the policy language for coverage outside of your home state is in your policy booklet. And what the procedures are for filing an out of state claim or where they can be found in the booklet.

Ask Blue Shield to point out where the policy language for coverage outside of your home state is in your policy booklet. And what the procedures are for filing an out of state claim or where they can be found in the booklet.

Great idea! I just submitted a written request through my account on their website.

I had to use my BC/BS coverage last year in Oregon when I fell on a path, landed face first, and ended up with cuts, bruises and damage to three teeth. I paid the same $25 deductible at the hospital as I would have at home. My Global Alert insurance reimbursed all medical and dental charges, even after I returned home and had to have additional dental work done. BC/BS will cover me out of the country, but only as out-of-network 80%. I get annual GeoBlue for out of the country travel.

It's interesting that some (most?) travel insurance stops when you return home. Global Alert covered me for the additional time it took for dental work to be done.

Edited by Suzanne123

Thanks for the heads-up! Actually, the Chase Sapphire $10,000 is only for non-medical expenses, for example, trip cancellation/interruption/lost luggage, etc. Our health insurance is through Blue Shield, and their representative told me that all emergency/urgent care medical expenses would be covered, including emergency evacuation, if necessary, and that there is no dollar limit.

I think we will be in Victoria for a few hours in the evening, and there is just one sea day between Seattle and Juneau.

The worrier in me wonders if this is adequate, but the insurance broker told me that between Chase Sapphire and Blue Shield, we will be covered.

You should be fine! Enjoy your cruise!

I had to use my BC/BS coverage last year in Oregon when I fell on a path, landed face first, and ended up with cuts, bruises and damage to three teeth. I paid the same $25 deductible at the hospital as I would have at home. My Global Alert insurance reimbursed all medical and dental charges, even after I returned home and had to have additional dental work done. BC/BS will cover me out of the country, but only as out-of-network 80%. I get annual GeoBlue for out of the country travel.

It's interesting that some (most?) travel insurance stops when you return home. Global Alert covered me for the additional time it took for dental work to be done.

I'm a little confused about the Global Alert coverage. Is that a travel insurance company? Do they become primary over BC/BS? Would BC/BS have covered everything if you didn't have Global Alert? (I'm just trying to make sure that my BC/BS would cover everything that might be needed, without any medical travel insurance.) Is your BC/BS a PPO? Mine is an HMO, and the representative I spoke with said I should be fully covered, except for normal copays - $15 office visit, $50 ER. He didn't say anything about 80%

Sorry for the barrage of questions! I'm waiting for Blue Shield to send me a copy of their written out-of-state policy, which I'm hoping will provide some clarification.

It sounds like a very painful accident. Hope you were able to enjoy the rest of the vacation!

BC/BS was primary, as well as my dental insurance. I had to submit proof of their payment to Global Alert, which was the travel insurance.

Mine is BC/ BS PPO. I would have the same coverage in Oregon as I have here in PA. They would cover medical out of the country as they would an out of network ( a doctor or hospital that didn't accept BC/BS insurance) in this country. 80% until I paid the maximum co-pay for the year.

Bottom line, if you are going to Alaska, you should be fine. I think most hospitals and doctors in this country accept BC/BS.

As it turned out, I even found a wonderful dentist in Astoria who accepted United Concordia dental insurance.

This is from my BC/BS plan:

Coverage out of the Country

The Plan will cover urgent and emergency medical care obtained outside of the country. In limited instances, a medical facility in a foreign country will accept coverage from the Plan. If the out-of-country medical facility does not accept coverage from the Plan, you will be required to pay for medical services. You may then submit your claim for reimbursement from the Plan when you return home. You should ask for an itemized billing statement that includes your diagnosis and is translated into U.S. dollars.

I am in the same situation! I also use chase sapphire and my New York insurance plan just paid me $14,000 for my medical expenses abroad.

That said, I did buy insurance on my next trip for the emergency evacuation. It's cheap. Twice I have had to use it. My last trip it covered an $8800 helicopter and a $55,000 medjet and a first class ticket home with a nurse.

My boyfriend, needed a nurse on the way home because he needed oxygen on the plane home and that was covered by medical insurance. ( fell off a horse and broke 6 ribs).

Neither of us needed medical care when we got home, so the last segments would not be covered by our medical insurance at home, nor do I think would they have been able to coordinate the evacuation.

Just a thought.

My last trip it covered an $8800 helicopter and a $55,000 medjet and a first class ticket home with a nurse.

Can you let us know what plan covered those expenses? Was it in fact Medjet Assist? I thought they did not cover helicopter evacs...

Also, could you provide information about how you arranged for such evacs?

Thanks.

No not medjet assis. It would not have covered the range of situations that we encountered.

My most recent insurance was roam right.

My partner at home in New York, called Oncall who is the service provider for Emergency assistance subcontracted by Roam Right. He called them right after my fall in Bhutan, and they found a doctor and a clinic for me, which our tour guide denied existed. It was thought this doctor that I found how to call an ambulance to bring me to his clinic.

While my tour operator organized the helicopter for me to go to the capital (Thimpu), OnCall authorized it and paid for it. I had emergency surgery there.

We had to stay in contact with Oncall to make all my ongoing flights and medical treatment. It took a lot of doing to get the private airplane to Bangkok, but again, my partner worked with Oncall to get it done and arranged for my admission to hospital and more surgery,

Medjet assist would not have covered my flight home to NY, as I was not being transferred to a fourth hospital.

Edited by Jacqueline

No not medjet assis. It would not have covered the range of situations that we encountered.

My partner at home in New York, called Oncall who is the service provider for Emergency assistance subcontracted by Roam Right. He called them right after my fall in Bhutan, and they found a doctor and a clinic for me, which our tour guide denied existed. It was thought this doctor that I found how to call an ambulance to bring me to his clinic.

While my tour operator organized the helicopter for me to go to the capital (Thimpu), OnCall authorized it and paid for it. I had emergency surgery there.

We had to stay in contact with Oncall to make all my ongoing flights and medical treatment. It took a lot of doing to get the private airplane to Bangkok, but again, my partner worked with Oncall to get it done and arranged for my admission to hospital and more surgery,

Medjet assist would not have covered my flight home to NY, as I was not being transferred to a fourth hospital.

Wow, it's great to hear that Roam Right came through of you. It's really difficult to evaluate travel insurance until you talk to someone who has actually made a claim.

So glad that you were able to get good medical care, and it must have been reassuring not to have to worry about the expense.

I'm going to bookmark this for future reference for when I travel internationally and/or to a remote location.

Thanks for the details. Very glad to hear that they came though for you.