Explore4 for US and Canada Officially Starts Monday July 18th

LAFFNVEGAS

Oosterdam is a Vista. No issues above with that ship to the best of my knowledge. Nothing wrong with and SB though although my SB on the Oosterdam was a tad smaller than the SA, but my verandah was bigger. I liked the layout too.

Wife said to keep the SA.

I'm wondering if I'm missing something. I just called the big box store that we booked our cruise through and they called Hal. For $380 more we would get the Explore4 including the $200 internet credit and paid gratuities.

It seems like Explore4 would just about pay for itself with just the gratuities. I need to check out the specifics of the beverage package as I don't drink pop (sugar or sugar-free), juice or coffee. I would drink water and wine. My travel partner drinks it all. We can keep our existing booking.

Is there something I'm missing and need to be aware of before we decide to do this?

Nope. That's a decent deal ;). Pricing varies on different cruises. Some are decent and others are so high no one would do it. Looks like you have done well :)

Wife said to keep the SA.

Always wise to listen to your wife ;)

Makes me think. I've booked an SA almost across from the Lounge on Oosterdam. It's 7062 which is really on one of the aft corners of the lounge, if that makes sense. Wondering if I should move further aft. There is at least one SB open. Would save a few hundred.

7062 seems to me to be a great location. Near the Neptune Lounge and not far from the midship elevators (for good access to most places on the ship).

As to the SBs, on the Oosterdam (and the other larger HAL ships) some of them are one deck below the Neptune Lounge, which I do not like. On the other hand, the aft-wrap SBs are a favorite of many people, especially the deck 5 ones, due to their HUGE balconies (fantastic for hosting parties and scenic viewing). I would not consider an SB guarantee due to the big difference in SB locations.

7062 seems to me to be a great location. Near the Neptune Lounge and not far from the midship elevators (for good access to most places on the ship).

As to the SBs, on the Oosterdam (and the other larger HAL ships) some of them are one deck below the Neptune Lounge, which I do not like. On the other hand, the aft-wrap SBs are a favorite of many people, especially the deck 5 ones, due to their HUGE balconies (fantastic for hosting parties and scenic viewing). I would not consider an SB guarantee due to the big difference in SB locations.

I would love to do another Vista Class aft wrap but we've decided to do our cruising out of Tampa. Tampa saves us almost three hours of drive time, one way. Wife much prefers to drive. Listen to your wife, right? That may change as we get older.

The SB guarantee was a discussion specific to the Rotterdam. PCC was pointing out the implications of the very limited number of SB cabins, only four and two of those are handicapped, on upgrades/upsells.

Glad to hear your comments on the Oosterdam SA. You have so much more experience that I so I do appreciate your expertise.

I would love to do another Vista Class aft wrap but we've decided to do our cruising out of Tampa. Tampa saves us almost three hours of drive time, one way. Wife much prefers to drive. Listen to your wife, right? That may change as we get older.

The SB guarantee was a discussion specific to the Rotterdam. PCC was pointing out the implications of the very limited number of SB cabins, only four and two of those are handicapped, on upgrades/upsells.

Glad to hear your comments on the Oosterdam SA. You have so much more experience that I so I do appreciate your expertise.

Sorry about that. I was confused reading your post #121 and thought that you were also looking at the Oosterdam.

Last year we were fortunate to be able to add Explore4 to 2 cruises without price increases. It was nice not to have to worry about the costs of drinks - although we aren't heavy drinkers and never had more than 4 beverages each per day - including water and specialty coffees.

We had hoped to do the same this time. Unfortunately, with Explore4 for our 7 day 2017 Mexican Riveria cruise the cost is up $400pp. We are in a Neptune Suite, so even though it would include $200 internet, 2 Pinnacle grill dinners (really only worth $29 total to us as we are 4*) as well as the SBP, it isn't worth the increase for us - even with a little extra OBC our Big Box TA would include. The most we could hope for would be to possibly break even with it.

(As a side note, we were able to add the Sip & Sail promo to our 12 day Aug 2017 Princess cruise at no additional cost.)

Sorry about that. I was confused reading your post #121 and thought that you were also looking at the Oosterdam.

After looking at #121, I could have explained that much better. Sorry for the confusion. Still, I thought it was interesting about the differing effects of the guarantee on an R-Class vs. a Vista. I also took it as a sign of a good PCC that she took the time to explain these effects to make sure I wasn't overlooking something.

Edited by RocketMan275

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

On our January Koningsdam cruise (2 weeks) to add Explore 4 would double what we're paying :eek: Granted the price has gone up, up, up since our early booking but still adds $400/pp to new bookings.

On the other hand, we're adding it to our east coast Montreal-FLL 13-day cruise for $260/pp. That's about $20/day. With specialty coffees, wine and mixed drinks I can easily manage that. :D

If I'm understanding the Explore 4 correctly, on a 12 day cruise in a Neptune suite (double occupancy), my math would look like this:

2 Signature Bev Packages ($50x12) = $600 pp/$1200 per cabin

2 Pinnacle Grill Dinners ($29 each) = $29 pp/$58 per cabin

$200 Internet = $200 per cabin

Prepaid Gratuities for 2 = ($13.50 x 12) = $162 pp/$324 per cabin

So, all in, the total savings per cabin is $1,782. The fare difference, as of today is $700 with and without. Seems like a no-brainer!

Am I doing that right?

If I'm understanding the Explore 4 correctly, on a 12 day cruise in a Neptune suite (double occupancy), my math would look like this:

2 Signature Bev Packages ($50x12) = $600 pp/$1200 per cabin

2 Pinnacle Grill Dinners ($29 each) = $29 pp/$58 per cabin

$200 Internet = $200 per cabin

Prepaid Gratuities for 2 = ($13.50 x 12) = $162 pp/$324 per cabin

So, all in, the total savings per cabin is $1,782. The fare difference, as of today is $700 with and without. Seems like a no-brainer!

Am I doing that right?

Yes, your numbers are correct. The issue are these.

- What is a Beverage Package worth? The cruise line will sell you one for $600 PP but is it worth that? Will you drink that much? Really? The cruise line figures you'll drink less than that, a lot less. Otherwise, they would be losing money.

- Is the internet really worth $200? What are you going to do with it? Is that worth $200?

Looks like your's is a 12 day cruise. Suggest you do a bit of analysis. How many drinks per day? Wine per day? Coffee per day? Consider that you probably will do quite a few port days where you won't be sitting around the pool drinking Mai Tai. Add it up. Is it worth $1200?

Over in the Princess side, you can search for Beverage Evaluator and get a nice spread sheet that will tell you if the beverage package on Princess is a good idea. There drink prices are a bit different but close. Or, you can make your own rough estimate.

Does anything on the HAL reservation page show that this promo has been added? I spoke to my large Pacific Northwest warehouse but have yet to receive an update confirmation for HAL or the agency.

Have others received an email?

I have not found it on the HAL website reservation information, but it is on the confirmation email pdf file I receive from my HAL Personal Cruise Consultant (PCC). I like being able to verify everything and then file it away until the cruise (and take it with me).

Does anything on the HAL reservation page show that this promo has been added? I spoke to my large Pacific Northwest warehouse but have yet to receive an update confirmation for HAL or the agency.

Once you get your HAL Invoice from your TA, you'll see the promo items listed on page 3.

Log into your online account with your "large Pacific Northwest warehouse" and look at your booking. You should see it there.