New to Royal Caribbean

If you do the online check in with your passport as documentation, then that is what you need to present to them at check in at the pier. But, even if they were to look at the license, they are going to look at birth-date. That alone should handle it for you. And to be honest, at that point, it shouldn't be an issue as the cards are printed even before you get to the pier. What I would suggest, for peace of mind, is, when you check in and you get your son's card, ask if there is anything on the card (color, code, whatever) that says he is NOT allowed to drink as he JUST turned 21. That way you know immediately and don't have to have him go through any unnecessary embarrassment trying to order and drink and having them reject him.

Erika

If you do the online check in with your passport as documentation, then that is what you need to present to them at check in at the pier. But, even if they were to look at the license, they are going to look at birth-date. That alone should handle it for you. And to be honest, at that point, it shouldn't be an issue as the cards are printed even before you get to the pier. What I would suggest, for peace of mind, is, when you check in and you get your son's card, ask if there is anything on the card (color, code, whatever) that says he is NOT allowed to drink as he JUST turned 21. That way you know immediately and don't have to have him go through any unnecessary embarrassment trying to order and drink and having them reject him.

Erika

Great! Thanks for your insight!

Happy to help. You'll have to come back after your cruise and let us know how ya'll enjoyed your cruise and if all worked out for your son.

Erika

Oh I will. We are very excited to try a new line. However, we have almost a year of planning. This cruise will not take place until June of next year. Oh well, half the fun is the planning, right?!? :D

Oh I will. We are very excited to try a new line. However, we have almost a year of planning. This cruise will not take place until June of next year. Oh well, half the fun is the planning, right?!? :D

Yeah just use the passport at check-in. They should have absolutely no reason to ask for the drivers license as a passport supersedes a drivers license for travel anyways.

We are new to Royal after 9 cruises on Celebrity and 5 on NCL.

Celebrity is our line of choice.

I could not resist the pricing for two cruises out of Sydney in 2018.

We are on Radiance of the Seas for 11 days and Explorer of the Seas for the transpacific to Seattle (22 days).

We booked My time dining, which I suspect is like Celebrity Select dining or dining on NCL, any time. Is there a specific MDR where we eat with My time dining?

Can we sit with others? We don't usually make reservations, will we have to wait long?

Also, we are Diamond, since we were elite on Celebrity. Looking forward to enjoying the happy hour in the lounge.

What does a 5 bottle wine package normally cost?

Also, I understand that I can get a package just for beer and wine. Cost?

Any tips on the specific ships would be nice as well as other thoughts.

We are new to Royal after 9 cruises on Celebrity and 5 on NCL.

Celebrity is our line of choice.

I could not resist the pricing for two cruises out of Sydney in 2018.

We are on Radiance of the Seas for 11 days and Explorer of the Seas for the transpacific to Seattle (22 days).

We booked My time dining, which I suspect is like Celebrity Select dining or dining on NCL, any time. Is there a specific MDR where we eat with My time dining?

Can we sit with others? We don't usually make reservations, will we have to wait long?

Also, we are Diamond, since we were elite on Celebrity. Looking forward to enjoying the happy hour in the lounge.

Also, I understand that I can get a package just for beer and wine. Cost?

Any tips on the specific ships would be nice as well as other thoughts.

There is only one MDR on the ship, but it encompasses three decks (Explorer) and two decks (Radiance). Your SeaPass card will tell you what deck you are on. If you want to sit with others, you tell the My Time host/hostess when you arrive at the MDR, and they will try to accommodate you.

The beer and wine package is called Select, and the cost varies. Your Cruise Planner will show you the cost on your sailing.

Edited by clarea

With a cruise that far out I wouldn't count on any price as normal or what you might expect to pay. RCI has been changing/raising prices many times. Any number someone tells you today, could be totally different by then, heck the 5 wine package could go away.

Read some of the threads to get an idea of prices, but again, don't count on that being true in 2018.

We sail both RC and Carnival. I find Carnival is easier to go to Anytime dining. With Royal you must make a reservation for each night. We have been told to come back in 90 minutes on Royal.

Carnival I think the longest we have waited has been about 20 minutes for My time (anytime) dining. We enjoy both and it is usually itinerary which determines where/who we sail with.

The servers onboard will not know the difference between the under 21 and over 21 license for each state. Their first glance will be at the SeaPass card. If the person looks under 21, they may ask for ID just to make sure that person is not using someone else's card. At that point, it won't be the look of the ID but the date.

We sail both RC and Carnival. I find Carnival is easier to go to Anytime dining. With Royal you must make a reservation for each night. We have been told to come back in 90 minutes on Royal.

Carnival I think the longest we have waited has been about 20 minutes for My time (anytime) dining. We enjoy both and it is usually itinerary which determines where/who we sail with.

I was told you didn't have to make a reservation on Royal and just show up, like carnival. Can anyone confirm?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was told you didn't have to make a reservation on Royal and just show up, like carnival. Can anyone confirm?

That is correct, you are not required to make reservations for My Time Dining on RC.

One of the things that I like about any time or my time dining is that I don't have to make a reservation.

I hope a 90 minutes wait is an extreme example. I have never had to wait more than 15 minutes on Celebrity and perhaps 30 minutes on NCL.

Does it matter if you are willing to dine with others at a large table?

This is what I'm referring to when I say "flipped".... As you see the vertical one (the one he has now and will have come cruise time) clearly states his birthdate, but will still show the red border. Whereas the flipped version is the "adult" version.

A bit off topic, but if those are indeed your Drivers License's I would remove the pictures or block out most of the personal information (Identity theft).

One of the things that I like about any time or my time dining is that I don't have to make a reservation.

I hope a 90 minutes wait is an extreme example. I have never had to wait more than 15 minutes on Celebrity and perhaps 30 minutes on NCL.

Does it matter if you are willing to dine with others at a large table?

I always do My Time Dining and only one time when I showed did they make a later reservation for me (about an hour later), every other time I get seated within a few minutes. I do travel solo - but not sure if that really matters as all the tables they sat me at had room for at least two people. You will get seated faster if you are willing to share a table though.

A bit off topic, but if those are indeed your Drivers License's I would remove the pictures or block out most of the personal information (Identity theft).

Thanks for looking out. However, they are samples from our DMV I found on Google..... Look at the name... "Sample" :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Another newbie question...

When you book a cruise so far out, lets say 9 months, do you get reimbursed if the cruise fare drops in price. Carnival has this thing call price protection... where depending on your payments and date they'll either issue you OBC or refund your credit card. Is there a link to that info?

Another newbie question...

When you book a cruise so far out, lets say 9 months, do you get reimbursed if the cruise fare drops in price. Carnival has this thing call price protection... where depending on your payments and date they'll either issue you OBC or refund your credit card. Is there a link to that info?

Royal will usually grant a lower price if the cruise price drops before final payment date. However, this is not automatic, you have to discover the price drop and request the adjustment.

Royal has no equivalent to Carnival's Early Saver.

Royal will usually grant a lower price if the cruise price drops before final payment date. However, this is not automatic, you have to discover the price drop and request the adjustment.

Royal has no equivalent to Carnival's Early Saver.

Thanks!

Thanks for looking out. However, they are samples from our DMV I found on Google..... Look at the name... "Sample

I picked that up after it was too late to edit/delete. :(

I think I would have noticed if the last name was DOE! Doh.jpg