New to Royal Caribbean

We may be booking our first cruise with RC, on the Anthem. Now, obviously RC is different than Carnival, but how different?

- We're use to anytime dinning on Carnival, I heard Anthem has somewhat of the same thing, I'mm assuming there is free restaurants, correct?

- Do you have to schedule everything on Anthem, like activities, shows and comedy. We never had to schedule anything on Carnival and would like to keep it that way.

- Lastly, what keeps you going back to RC?

Thanks!

It has been so long since I cruised Carnival that I cannot make a fair comparison. However I believe Carnival is more of a party atmosphere.

I like Royal because I like the ships. I have been on several classes so it is not one certain thing - it is the package. I even like the smaller ships!

Anthem is a BEAUTY! Very upscale looking. RCCL has traditional and my time dining on all the ships - but Anthem is different in that there is not one major dining room. There are instead several smaller restaurants. Yes, many are free and I thought the food was fantastic.

You should make all your reservations before boarding. I highly recommend both Northstar and iFly. You can wait in the line of folks that don't have reservations but it is easier if you have them.

We have cruised both Carnival and Royal Caribbean, personally I thought the food and the specialty restaurants were better on Carnival. We go on Royal because of the bigger ships and the flowrider. We've found the guests to be pretty identical on both cruise lines, with a mix of all ages. The exception being the shorter 3-4 day cruises on carnival to be more of a party atmosphere.

Hi,

We have only sailed on RCI so I can't give any comparisons. But I can tell you why we keep coming back to them. We like the product. The ships and the crew are wonderful. Have we had a less than stellar interactions or experiences, yes. But never one that has ruined our cruise or gave us a bad vacation. Overall, to us, it seems that all the employees always have a sincere smile and hello when they see you as well as a desire to make sure we happy. We like the ships and what they have to offer. Needless to say, as we've only sailed with them, are enjoying the added value benefits from moving up in the Crown And Anchor member offerings. (rewards club, if you will).

Hope you enjoy whatever sailing you choose.

Erika

We may be booking our first cruise with RC, on the Anthem. Now, obviously RC is different than Carnival, but how different? I see you have been on the Pride. I have also and truly liked the ship....especially Guys Burgers and the Lido deck/aft where all of the sofa's and tables are for relaxing. I have never had a bad cruise. I love them all. I think you will be pleasantly surprised with RCCL. Yes, it is true with the WOW factor. Sooooo much to do and sooooo little time. Lol.

- We're use to anytime dinning on Carnival, I heard Anthem has somewhat of the same thing, I'mm assuming there is free restaurants, correct?I believe there are 4 restaurants "no fee"

- Do you have to schedule everything on Anthem, like activities, shows and comedy. We never had to schedule anything on Carnival and would like to keep it that way. You don't HAVE to schedule, but you are better off doing so. There are many "no show's"....so if you want to see a show that you did not reserve, you just stand on line and it is very likely you will be able to get seats.

- Lastly, what keeps you going back to RC?I actually do not have a preference of cruise lines. I love them all. RCCL however, does seem to have a lot more to do if you like to stay busy.

Thanks!

We cannot wait to board the Anthem in a couple of months.:):):) My answers are above in red.

Edited by champagne123
fsss

RC is a great cruise line. Every line has hiccups along the way but we find the staff and the ships to be overwhelming good. We are yet to have a bad cruise. The demographic of an RC cruise fits our family so we stick with it. We are a mid 30's active couple with 3 kids that like to play hard and relax hard as a family. RC accommodates that nicely with shipboard activities and venues.

I appreciate everyone's input! When it comes to scheduling, do you have several choices of when to schedule a show or an activity or is it limited?

I usually figure out all the shows and when the run (i.e. what are my options for each night). Then I make my reservations.

You do not need reservations, but you are better off for having them. I can't recall the exact time, but if you have a reservation, you might have to be there 15 minutes before start time. After that they open it up. I recall on our last Oasis sailings, there were some shows we wanted to see a second time, and we just walked into the theatre before showtime, and had no problem. I have reservations for our upcoming Oasis sailing, but given that we have seen all the shows before, except the headliner and cats (and I have no interest in seeing cats!) .... it is possible that despite having a ressie, we may not attend the show.

We may be booking our first cruise with RC, on the Anthem. Now, obviously RC is different than Carnival, but how different?

- We're use to anytime dinning on Carnival, I heard Anthem has somewhat of the same thing, I'mm assuming there is free restaurants, correct?

- Do you have to schedule everything on Anthem, like activities, shows and comedy. We never had to schedule anything on Carnival and would like to keep it that way.

- Lastly, what keeps you going back to RC?

Thanks!

Scheduling may be a problem for you. Even if you choose "MY Time Dining" which is Dymanic Choice you must choose your time each day months in advance unless you want to eat at the buffet or eat in any of the free places after 9pm. Your cruise planner will post available times......pick one even if you don't like it, then change it onboard. If you don't have a reservations, you may be eating well after 9pm.

Anthem is awesome!!

A few more questions for those of you that are experienced with RCI...

-So it's my understanding that even if we choose my time dining on a ship like Adventure of the Seas, we have to schedule a time in advance? Are we sat with other parties or our own?

-We are looking more closely at the Adventure of the Seas out of San Juan. Can anyone confirm the minimum drinking age? I know RCI's policy states 21 when originating from North America and 18 elsewhere... So, even though it may be a stupid question, I'm assuming it's 18 for San Juan even though San Juan is still under the USA? I just want to be sure, this cruise is for my son's 21st but the date we are planning, he'll be 13 days shy of 21...

-I see Royal has their drink packages laid out on their website, does anyone know where I can find prices, specifically for the premium package? And is anyone aware if RCI has a policy like Carnival's where as everyone in the stateroom over 21 must purchase the package, no matter what?

Thanks everyone! I'm becoming more excited about trying out a new cruise line!

Edited by carnival03

-So it's my understanding that even if we choose my time dining on a ship like Adventure of the Seas, we have to schedule a time in advance? Are we sat with other parties or our own?

-We are looking more closely at the Adventure of the Seas out of San Juan. Can anyone confirm the minimum drinking age? I know RCI's policy states 21 when originating from North America and 18 elsewhere... So, even though it may be a stupid question, I'm assuming it's 18 for San Juan even though San Juan is still under the USA? I just want to be sure, this cruise is for my son's 21st but the date we are planning, he'll be 13 days shy of 21...

-I see Royal has their drink packages laid out on their website, does anyone know where I can find prices, specifically for the premium package? And is anyone aware if RCI has a policy like Carnival's where as everyone in the stateroom over 21 must purchase the package, no matter what?

You are not required to make reservations for My Time Dining. You can sit with others or by yourselves, your choice.

Drinking age is 21 for cruises out of San Juan.

Prices for drink packages are in your Cruise Planner. RC does not require all guests in a stateroom purchase the same or any package.

Edited by clarea

San Juan is part of North American, and more specifically, the USA, so drinking age is 21 onboard the ship. Rhe 18 age is for cruises originating elsewhere, ie Europe, Australia and such. If he won't be 21 at boarding, he won't be able to drink onboard.

MyTime Dining on all ship except Anthem do not need reservations at all, you can walk up any time you like to the main restaurant - same menu whether set dining or MyTime dining, same dress code, etc. Shows on all ship except Oasis class and Anthem are mainly scheduled around the two traditional dining times.. If you choose MyTime dining and opt to eat at peak times without a reservation, there may be a short wait, just as in a land based restaurant...

RCIs Beverage packages are detailed at rhe website. They do not have a policy where everyone in the cabin has to buy a package - onw person can, two people can buy different ones, etc.. They are priced per person, no sharing, one drink at a time and unlimited (unlike Carnival's 15 drink limit, and of course if you're visibly intoxicated or causing trouble you can be cut off).

Hope that helps out, enjoy your cruise!!

Thanks again, everyone! Is there anything, other than drinking, and 20 year old would be missing out on, on RCI ships? For example, Carnival has their serenity deck for adults 21 and over, is there such thing on Royal?

Thanks again, everyone! Is there anything, other than drinking, and 20 year old would be missing out on, on RCI ships? For example, Carnival has their serenity deck for adults 21 and over, is there such thing on Royal?

Yes, on most ships there is the Solarium. One of our favorite places. This will have a smaller pool and jacuzzis and is usually so nice and quiet. LOVE IT!

Erika

Yes, on most ships there is the Solarium. One of our favorite places. This will have a smaller pool and jacuzzis and is usually so nice and quiet. LOVE IT!

Erika

A 20 year old would be able to use this, correct? I though I read the age limit was 16 and older...

A 20 year old would be able to use this, correct? I though I read the age limit was 16 and older...

I believe you are correct. And even if they 'technically' wouldn't be able to, no one is going to say anything if they are quiet, respectful and well behaved.

Erika

So another question...

I am assuming RCI determines ones birthday by the date they enter online as well as verifying it on the passport at the pier? One of the cruises we are looking at leaves the day after my son's 21st birthday. Obviously his passport with show his birth date. However, If he has to show his drivers license, it won't be flipped yet... I am asking because it seems it has become a new thing where at some bars and restaurants here in the US won't serve newly 21 y/o because even though their birthdate is clearly shown on the license, the license has not yet been flipped by the DMV meaning it still shows the "under 21" red boarder...

So another question...

I am assuming RCI determines ones birthday by the date they enter online as well as verifying it on the passport at the pier? One of the cruises we are looking at leaves the day after my son's 21st birthday. Obviously his passport with show his birth date. However, If he has to show his drivers license, it won't be flipped yet... I am asking because it seems it has become a new thing where at some bars and restaurants here in the US won't serve newly 21 y/o because even though their birthdate is clearly shown on the license, the license has not yet been flipped by the DMV meaning it still shows the "under 21" red boarder...

I think it unlikely there will be any problem. However, if there is a problem onboard with proving he is 21, and the bar server won't accept the DL, then he can always go fetch the passport.

Edited by clarea

I 'believe' everything to do with age on the cruise as to do with the age the passenger is as of the sailing date. Someone else may be able to confirm this though.

Erika

I think it unlikely there will be any problem. However, if there is a problem onboard with proving he is 21, and the bar server won't accept the DL, then he can always go fetch the passport.

That's what I figured. Thank you!

That's what I figured. Thank you!

One other thought. Not that I've ever had to deal with it, but I think the card they issue upon boarding will show if the individual is able to buy liquor or not (age-wise) and the bartenders follow that. I don't even know if they are allowed to use a drivers license or anything for proof. just more of my rambling thoughts. :)

Erika

One other thought. Not that I've ever had to deal with it, but I think the card they issue upon boarding will show if the individual is able to buy liquor or not (age-wise) and the bartenders follow that. I don't even know if they are allowed to use a drivers license or anything for proof. just more of my rambling thoughts. :)

Erika

Keep the rambling thoughts coming, they are very helpful! I knew that they go by the issued card. In my original post I was referring to the check in process at the port of departure, where they review all your info. Do they ask for a DL or just a passport? If they just ask for a passport, we'll be go to go. However, my worry is, if they ask for his DL and it has yet to be flipped by the DMV they will still consider him 20... Although his birthdate is clearly shown, and it will say "Under 21 until..". See, I've heard that some bars here at home are now denying newly 21 y/os because they don't have their license flipped, apparently people were faking the birthdate on their license somehow.... I'm probably overthinking this... Just want to make sure we have all our bases covered. Wouldn't want to take a 21 y/o on a cruise for his birthday the day after.. then be told he can't freely walk up to the bar and order a beer. ;)

1050x591

This is what I'm referring to when I say "flipped".... As you see the vertical one (the one he has now and will have come cruise time) clearly states his birthdate, but will still show the red border. Whereas the flipped version is the "adult" version.

Edited by carnival03