Epic/Europe Terror Threat -- are you worried?

mal&jason

Anyone know if any cruise ships are in port there (Istanbul), or about to arrive (probably wouldn't now, of course).

The airport closed a while ago.

I recall seeing somewhere that there were In fact cruises scheduled to be there at this time

Posters were saying they were flying in this weekend.

Another reason to buy your insurance within 14 days it's not just the pre existing Illness clause anymore unfortunately that matters

It won't stop me travelling. There are risks with everything you do! I've been to Turkey, so don't need to go there again, but I love visiting Europe, particularly when it's Summer there (Winter here). There is so much to see and do and getting around is so easy with their great public transport system.

I agree....to a certain extent

What is upsetting though is I'm hearing ww3 mentioned all too frequently lately...I know the media does whatever it can to stir the pot....but still

Our daughter booked a trip to Turkey, and I am worried a little bit after the terrorist attacks in that country , so I spoke with her and asked if she is sure about this trip.

She said; do you cancel your trip to Miami after what happend in Florida a few weeks ago ?

The answer is No ! I don,t want terrorism to rule my life

My thoughts are with the people in Nice [emoji632]

There is a military coup happening in Turkey at this moment.

Yes the military coup that is occurring now ( just woke to the news) puts a definite danger there. Terrorist attacks happen in a small area, but the violence and shootings are widespread. A city under siege- both Istanbul & Ankara. I definitely don't travel to an area with a military coup happening- best to wait and see if it settles down. Maybe your grand daughter is unaware of the military coup happening right now.

I agree....to a certain extent

What is upsetting though is I'm hearing ww3 mentioned all too frequently lately...I know the media does whatever it can to stir the pot....but still

Haven't heard of a threat for WWIII in years. Closest we came was over Cuba in the 60s.

Edited by 4774Papa
typo

We will be on the Epic in September. After today's attack in Nice, is anyone else worried about being in the south of France (or Barcelona/Italy for that matter)? Part of me is and part of me isn't. What are YOUR thoughts?

Go and enjoy your cruise. The med on the Epic is fabulous. Done that cruise twice in the past 3 years.

Terrorism can happen any where at any time. Consider the fact that European countries are warning their citizens to avoid travel to the United States because of internal unrest. Do you feel unsafe in Colorado? We had been to a movie at the Aurora theater not too long before the mass shooting there. Went back not too long after it reopened feeling very safe.

thank you for such a detailed introspect DH and I were going to take a cruise and tour Europe in 2 years when DD turned 8. turns out kids have to be at least 8 with NCL for transatlantic, We purchased the future cruise deal specifically for it but we did cancel primarily because of DD. He and I can be pretty mentally strong in a bad situation , but realistically all that changes when your baby is in tow. A risk we are not willing to take at any odds.

I must be in the minority ... going back to Europe is on hold until things get sorted out. If I was going solo, then no problem, but ain't taking fam overseas ... I lose enough sleep trying to keep them safe in the states. To each their own.

sadly our thoughts exactly..." yes an accident can happen and I lose a leg but a shark cant bite my leg off unless I'm swimming that type of water"

Don't worry about it, enjoy your vacation. We are doing the epic in October and plan on having a great time. I will do what I always do, stay vigilant and always have an exit strategy. It's ingrained in me and has been taught to my kids. You can be prepared but still have fun.

Anyone know if any cruise ships are in port there (Istanbul), or about to arrive (probably wouldn't now, of course).

The airport closed a while ago.

Unfortunately the world is not as safe any longer. This is true in the US and Western Europe. Turkey however is a much different situation and travel there is not without greater risks. The lines who held onto embarkation/debarkation in Turkey must subscribe to much different intelligence. I canceled a cruise with Celebrity recently because they somehow failed to see the dangers that most others did. I suspect now with the military coup the lines will have no choice but at this point I would not be surprised to see sea day replacements or multiple days in Athens. I was not about to spend that amount of money and travel time only to board a ship with several sea days or to visit ports that I had no desire to visit.

Despite NCL replacing Turkey many months ago, an excellent choice imo, I recently saw a video clip of Andy Stewart discussing how their Europe bookings are hurting this year. One certainly wouldn't know that given the sky high prices. I think many European sailings on NCL are filled primarily with US citizens and US citizens are not as eager to travel abroad. Warnings such as beware of your surroundings? Well it's much easier for someone from the US to be aware of their surroundings when they are familiar with their surroundings. When you have a language barrier and are not familiar of surroundings then it's much more difficult to recognize that something is not right or suspicious.

Granted terrible things can happen despite awareness and no matter where you are but traveling to Turkey is not something I would do. Loved our visit last year and feel quite bad for the people there. Then again the Phillapines, where the majority of ship crew come from, is no place to be right now either with their new leader. Crazy world. We have no plans to alter our Europe cruise. As far as Western Europe I feel about as safe there as I would traveling in the USA.

The majority of the world's most dangerous cities are located in America, and whilst South American countries steal the top spots you'll find a good selection of Northern American ones in there and some Caribbean ones too. A European city does not appear in the top 50.

Despite what the media covers, there are far more dangers in the world than just terrorism.

The majority of the world's most dangerous cities are located in America, and whilst South American countries steal the top spots you'll find a good selection of Northern American ones in there and some Caribbean ones too. A European city does not appear in the top 50.

Despite what the media covers, there are far more dangers in the world than just terrorism.

I guess you are right about the dangers of inner cities here in the US. My understanding of the gun situation in Europe is that 98% of the guns there are being carried by US troops who are still there protecting you 70 years after WWII. Time to start paying for your own defense, wouldn't you say?

This is an absurd statement. While areas in some of our inner cities are dangerous, these are areas which most Americans or foreign tours never visit.

The 10 most dangerous cites in the World include none in the USA.

http://gulfnews.com/guides/life/community/10-most-dangerous-cities-in-the-world-2016-1.1829338

http://www.themeshnews.com/top-10-most-dangerous-cities-in-the-world-2016/

Some of our cities make the top 50 list, like New Orleans and Detroit.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-most-violent-cities-in-the-world-2014-11

In the USA one of the most problematic cities for crime 25 years ago was New York City, which fortunately had some great Mayors and NYC became one of the safest cities in the country. Mayor Giuliani sent more police into the crime ridden areas.

Unless you want to buy illegal drugs, no foreign tourist will visit those areas, unless by accident. I remember some years ago a German couple made the wrong turn off the freeway in Miami and went into Liberty City by mistake. They didn't come out alive.

Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras make the top of the most dangerous countries. Interesting, Nicaragua is in the same neighborhood, but they have the death penalty for possession of illegal drugs and their crime rates are low. The drug cartels don't go there.

This is an absurd statement. While areas in some of our inner cities are dangerous, these are areas which most Americans or foreign tours never visit.

http://gulfnews.com/guides/life/community/10-most-dangerous-cities-in-the-world-2016-1.1829338

In the USA one of the most problematic cities for crime 25 years ago was New York City, which fortunately had some great Mayors and NYC became one of the safest cities in the country. Mayor Giuliani sent more police into the crime ridden areas.

Unless you want to buy illegal drugs, no foreign tourist will visit those areas, unless by accident. I remember some years ago a German couple made the wrong turn off the freeway in Miami and went into Liberty City by mistake. They didn't come out alive.

Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras make the top of the most dangerous countries. Interesting, Nicaragua is in the same neighborhood, but they have the death penalty for possession of illegal drugs and their crime rates are low. The drug cartels don't go there.

Is it any more 'absurd' than removing a continent from your travel map due to terrorist activity?

I agree. In the U.S. crime is concentrated within specific communities and violent crime is usually drug related.

Is it any more 'absurd' than removing a continent from your travel map due to terrorist activity?

The problem I see with Europe right now is that things are in flux in Europe. Europe is changing because Europeans are letting in millions of people from very different social and economic backgrounds. Police departments, infrastructure, all of these things are becoming overwhelmed in Europe. I do not want to go to Copenhagen, for example, and find train stations full of foreigners hustling me for money. I would want to go to Copenhagen to experience local culture, but as things progress that local culture will no longer be there, or will be dramatically different.

I agree with a previous poster who said that thing will only get worse and that if you want to go, go now. The poster was talking about terrorism, but I am also talking about the changing culture. France is already less French than it was 20 years ago. Think how less French it will be in ten years. I am not dismissing other cultures when I make these statements. I find African and Middle Eastern cultures fascinating as well.

Edited by Cafedumonde

I think it would be silly not to be worried. And if you are at the point where you have to make final payment and aren't locked into (or are willing to lose) airfare, it's smart to think about it.

FWIW, I'm not 100% sure that travel insurance would pay if you cancel a trip that's 2 months in the future now. You may want to check with them, if that will make a difference to you.

A lot can happen in two months. Depending on the current itinerary, NCL may make changes to avoid areas where they think problems are more likely to occur. You could always choose to stay on the ship at a port that feels unsafe to you.

If you do go, just be aware of what's happening around you. Americans who live or work in big cities are perhaps a bit more used to living with these threats. If you're not, then I'd say you should consider how comfortable YOU will be and whether that's how you want to spend your vacation. If you can still enjoy yourself, then go.

I was working at the World Trade Center when it was bombed in 1993 and continued to work there until my company moved in June 2001. To function, you have to get used to dealing with knowing what could happen and being prepared for it as best as you can. But it does take some getting used to.

Tourists continued to visit every day, up to and including 9/11. Tourists continue to visit London and Madrid and Paris and Oklahoma City, too.

But at the end of the day, you have to do what's right for you. Whatever you decide, I hope you have a wonderful vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your chances of being hit by lightning while standing under a tree, or crashing with bad brakes, or having a cramp while swimming after eating and drowning are probably all pretty slim but that does not mean a prudent person does these things. Everyone has a different tolerance to what they perceive as risk so this is very subjective and I do not feel we should be dismissive of anyone's feelings in this regard. We cancelled a Med cruise ending in Istanbul

not because of my fear of being hurt but my fear of the hassle caused to my air travel plans if the port was changed (it was subsequently).

With so many wonderful places to visit on this planet and vacation time and money (for most of us ) a limited resource I can be satisfied planning to visit areas that likely to be trouble free. JMHO

I think it would be silly not to be worried. And if you are at the point where you have to make final payment and aren't locked into (or are willing to lose) airfare, it's smart to think about it.

FWIW, I'm not 100% sure that travel insurance would pay if you cancel a trip that's 2 months in the future now. You may want to check with them, if that will make a difference to you.

A lot can happen in two months. Depending on the current itinerary, NCL may make changes to avoid areas where they think problems are more likely to occur. You could always choose to stay on the ship at a port that feels unsafe to you.

If you do go, just be aware of what's happening around you. Americans who live or work in big cities are perhaps a bit more used to living with these threats. If you're not, then I'd say you should consider how comfortable YOU will be and whether that's how you want to spend your vacation. If you can still enjoy yourself, then go.

I was working at the World Trade Center when it was bombed in 1993 and continued to work there until my company moved in June 2001. To function, you have to get used to dealing with knowing what could happen and being prepared for it as best as you can. But it does take some getting used to.

Tourists continued to visit every day, up to and including 9/11. Tourists continue to visit London and Madrid and Paris and Oklahoma City, too.

But at the end of the day, you have to do what's right for you. Whatever you decide, I hope you have a wonderful vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regarding the travel insurance...

As always, it is critical to READ all of the terms (including that "fine print") about this.

Most policies we've seen have wording that is similar to (NOT exactly the same as, keep in mind) the fact that there must have been an actual terrorist event in a city you are visiting.

Policies can differ a bit in their wording of this.

IMPORTANTLY: This would NOT include (we asked our insurer) if there were to be a terrorist attack in a town we'd need to pass through!

Also included, IIRC, would be if there were a governmental (USA for USA-based policies) high level alert such as to "avoid" travel.

It absolutely did NOT cover "things seem dicey there, and we don't feel comfortable".

We decided in the past that for that possible situation, we'd get CFAR coverage (Cancel For Any Reason, and $$ add-on), and then WE could decide.

Most CFAR policies from third party insurers pay only 75% back, but they pay in cash, and not a future credit.

So sad... these turns of events.